PDA

View Full Version : The Card Dancer (3.5 Prestige Class) PEACH

Forever Curious
2010-03-26, 12:59 PM
I just kind of threw this idea together. All feedback is valued.

The Card Dancer
"Just a parlor trick, you say? Watch and learn..." Tublican "Dandy", a Card Dancer

Inspiration: The Dandyman from Hellsing and Luxord from Kingdom Hearts II.

Game Rule Information

Requirements
-Base Attack Bonus +5
-Tumble 8 ranks, Sleight of Hand 10 ranks

Hit Die: d6.

Class Skills:
The card dancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis),
Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill points at each level: 6 + Int modifier.

The Card Dancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Deck Wielder, Master Charlatan

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Card Barrage +1, Returning Cards

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Illusion Deck, Flurry of Cards +2

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Card Barrage +2, Toss and Go

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Card Trick, Sundering Cards

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Card Barrage +3, Flurry of Cards +4

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Razor Cards

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+2|Card Barrage +4, Pinning Cards

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+3|Flurry of Cards +6, Deadly Cards

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+3|Imprisoning Cards, Card Barrage +5 [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A card dancer gains proficiency with card blades (see below).

Deck Wielder (Ex): At first level, a card dancer acquires a deck of sixty card blades. Card blades are specially designed playing cards that function as weapons. Card blades are exotic light ranged weapons that have a critical range of 18-20, a base damage of 1d4, and a throwing range of 30 ft.

Master Charlatan (Sp): A card dancer embraces the role of a showman. At first level, he can use Prestidigitation at will as a wizard of his class level.

Card Barrage (Ex): At second level, and every even level thereafter, a card dancer gains an additional ranged attack a round. This attack can only be executed using his card blades.

Returning Cards (Ex): A card dancer’s cards begin acquiring magical abilities. A card blade thrown by a card dancer of second level magically returns to the deck at the end of the round.

Illusion Cards (Su): A card dancer further increases his cards magical ability. At third level, a card dancer can use his deck of cards to imitate a Deck of Illusions once a day. The card blade used does not return to the deck on its own until the illusion is dispelled.

Flurry of Cards (Ex): At third level, a card dancer can create a flurry of cards around him as a swift action. For a number of rounds equal to his class level, he gains the indicated deflection bonus to his AC, which stacks with any other bonus. While this ability is active, he can only make one ranged attack a round. In addition, the cards swirling around him strike any opponent adjacent to him. Every opponent that ends his turn adjacent to a card dancer using this ability takes 1d4 damage per class level. A successful Reflex save with a DC of 10 + class level + the card dancer's Dexterity modifier halves this damage. A card dancer can use this ability a number of times a day equal to his Dexterity modifier.

Toss and Go (Ex): At fourth level, a card dancer gains Shot on the Run as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. However, he can only apply this feat to his card blades.

Card Trick (Ex): At fifth level, a card dancer gains an uncanny fighting trick. Once an encounter, whenever an attack succeeds against him, he can make a Reflex save versus the attack roll made against him. If he succeeds, he takes no damage from the attack and may teleport to a square within 30 feet of him that he can see and make a single attack as a free action.

Sundering Cards (Ex): At fifth level, a card dancer gains Ranged Sunder as a bonus feat, even if he doesn’t meet the prerequisites. However, he can only apply this feat to his card blades.

Razor Cards (Ex): A card dancer’s deck gains an almost impossible sharpness. At seventh level, he gains Improved Critical as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. This can only be applied to his card blades.

Pinning Cards (Ex): A card dancer can throw his cards with an almost supernatural precision. He gains Ranged Pin as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. However, this can only be used with his card blades.

Deadly Cards (Ex): Starting at ninth level, a card dancer’s cards can ignore any damage reduction.

Imprisoning Cards (Sp): A card dancer unlocks a truly horrifying ability. At tenth level, a card dancer can use Soul Trap once a day as a spell-like ability using one of his card blades as the vessel.

Zexion
2010-03-26, 01:09 PM
For Card Blades, perhaps you should make maneuvers and/or an actual seperate weapon write-up? Also, I don't see why the ability to cast prestidigitation is necessary. Seems like a waste, as you get to cast it at will later on.

Deadly Cards: Starting at ninth level, a card dancer’s cards can ignore any damage reduction.

Sounds a bit powerful. Might want to put a cap on it, for example 3 points of DR/class level.

Also, there's a <br> in the middle of your BAB column. That's always a feature from people who copy from the Homebrew guide. Might want to fix that.

Instead of all of the bonus feats, perhaps you could have a modular design, with various abilities that can be acquired instead of other abilities? Anyway, this class seems to be quite specialized.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-26, 01:16 PM
There should be something in this class connected to the deck of many things.

Mulletmanalive
2010-03-26, 01:41 PM
For Card Blades, perhaps you should make maneuvers and/or an actual seperate weapon write-up? Also, I don't see why the ability to cast prestidigitation is necessary. Seems like a waste, as you get to cast it at will later on.

Sounds a bit powerful. Might want to put a cap on it, for example 3 points of DR/class level.

Also, there's a <br> in the middle of your BAB column. That's always a feature from people who copy from the Homebrew guide. Might want to fix that.

Instead of all of the bonus feats, perhaps you could have a modular design, with various abilities that can be acquired instead of other abilities? Anyway, this class seems to be quite specialized.

First point can be resolved with a feat and is indicative of why the card blades do more damage than anything of their mass has any right to do.

Your suggestion in the second case is basically pointless. At the point you gain it, it'll be negating 27 points of DR so it might as well be ignoring the lot. Most DR stats only go up to 20 unless you're me.

I do agree that perhaps this should be allowed to choose abilities from the Master Thrower, simply because the class can cover most of the feat bonuses anyway. That said, it shouldn't be as good as the Master Thrower at its own game, otherwise you're outdoing one of the less pants martial classes out there.

Milskidasith
2010-03-26, 02:18 PM
First point can be resolved with a feat and is indicative of why the card blades do more damage than anything of their mass has any right to do.

Your suggestion in the second case is basically pointless. At the point you gain it, it'll be negating 27 points of DR so it might as well be ignoring the lot. Most DR stats only go up to 20 unless you're me.

I do agree that perhaps this should be allowed to choose abilities from the Master Thrower, simply because the class can cover most of the feat bonuses anyway. That said, it shouldn't be as good as the Master Thrower at its own game, otherwise you're outdoing one of the less pants martial classes out there.

Scaling DR penetration is better so you don't have to wait until 9th level to be at all effective. Card Flurry is really worthless; you get a very minor AC boost at the expense of losing your primary class feature, throwing *lots* of cards.

Zexion
2010-03-26, 02:28 PM
Scaling DR penetration is better so you don't have to wait until 9th level to be at all effective.
That's what I meant. Perhaps bypassing 2 points of DR/level?

deuxhero
2010-03-26, 02:29 PM
"
Master Charlatan: A card dancer embraces the role of a showman. At first level, he can use Prestidigitation at will as a wizard of his class level. "

Does level have any effect on Prestidigitation?

Zexion
2010-03-26, 02:30 PM
"
Master Charlatan: A card dancer embraces the role of a showman. At first level, he can use Prestidigitation at will as a wizard of his class level. "

Does level have any effect on Prestidigitation?

For maximum weight lifted, yes it does.

Scow2
2010-03-26, 03:57 PM
I hate the idea of a class getting equipment just for signing up... A better idea would just be to create Blade Cards as an exotic weapon, and have this class gain abilities to use the cards. The cards should be sold in decks of 52, but are enchanted and treated as projectiles, like Shurikens.

deuxhero
2010-03-26, 05:27 PM
For maximum weight lifted, yes it does.

I must be looking at some errataed version (d20srd.org does use errataed versions of stuff), but it is a fixed 1 pound.

The Tygre
2010-03-27, 04:24 AM
There should be something in this class connected to the deck of many things.

Or the Harrow deck. Either way, artifact cards are artifact cards.

Forever Curious
2010-03-27, 07:09 AM
Or the Harrow deck. Either way, artifact cards are artifact cards.

My thoughts exactly, and I didn't want to give it that much power...

Lix Lorn
2010-04-24, 03:35 PM
This is cool. <3
Any relation to Gambit from X Men?

For the Flurry of Cards, you could have it give you AC of any number up to your total number of attacks you could make with card blades, and you lose that many attacks?
...also, blade cards sounds better to me.

Why Do I get the idea this is abandoned? Ohwell. It's 2010. I like it.
(Adds to list of classes for self)

Cute_Riolu
2010-04-24, 04:04 PM
Forever Curious, you are officially my hero. I just wanted to let you know that.

Also, to fix Flurry of Cards, if need be, you could do something like... I dunno.

Make it deal damage to nearby enemies. Perhaps the +Flurry in d4 damage per round adjacent.

Forever Curious
2010-04-27, 08:38 PM
Forever Curious, you are officially my hero. I just wanted to let you know that.

Also, to fix Flurry of Cards, if need be, you could do something like... I dunno.

Make it deal damage to nearby enemies. Perhaps the +Flurry in d4 damage per round adjacent.

And you are mine. Thanks for the suggestion. :smallbiggrin: Mind checking out my other homebrews and leaving feedback?

Card Dancer somewhat updated. Feedback still welcome.

Cute_Riolu
2010-04-27, 09:27 PM
Yay update! I know it's probably pretty obvious, but the size of the card blades isn't specified, as in Light, One-handed, Two-handed.

Also, sure. I'll check 'em in just a bit. Assuming I don't get distracted.

MoleMage
2010-04-27, 11:33 PM
I thought I remembered seeing something like this. Nice, an update brought it up. See Card Shark in my sig. This didn't inspire it, the expression did, but it's definitely an easy connection.

Forever Curious
2010-04-28, 06:46 AM
I thought I remembered seeing something like this. Nice, an update brought it up. See Card Shark in my sig. This didn't inspire it, the expression did, but it's definitely an easy connection.

I thought the same. I had an NPC in the works to combine the two...