PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Size Increases?

Jeff240sx
2010-03-26, 01:41 PM
Hi all,

I've been flipping through some books looking, and I'm not seeing it. I'm looking to increase the size of my small Kobold to Medium (or even Large).

Short of scrolls/spells, I'm not seeing any way to permanently increase my size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shadwen
2010-03-26, 01:42 PM
Enlarge person spell is all that I know about.

Zherog
2010-03-26, 01:43 PM
If your game allows Pathfinder material, you can add the Giant Creature template (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterAdvancement.html).

Soonerdj
2010-03-26, 01:45 PM
Half Minotaur is a +1 Template that increases your size one category but it is kinda cheesy. Then again you are a kobold and the template is only broken good on medium and above.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-26, 01:46 PM
Oh my god I need to make a half-minotaur kobold right now.

gorfnab
2010-03-26, 01:50 PM
Here is a post over on BG that is about a kobold that is considered diminutive, tiny, small, medium, large, huge, and gargantuan thanks to some interesting feats and psionics. Tiny Von BigMcLargeHuge (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6428.0)

tyckspoon
2010-03-26, 01:50 PM
A Permanence'd Enlarged Person is probably the simplest and least cheesy option. If you're ok with just temporary size boosts there's lots of ways to achieve that as well.

Zherog
2010-03-26, 01:54 PM
A Permanence'd Enlarged Person is probably the simplest and least cheesy option. If you're ok with just temporary size boosts there's lots of ways to achieve that as well.

Of course, that's subject to dispel magic. *shrug*

2xMachina
2010-03-26, 01:54 PM
Oh my god I need to make a half-minotaur kobold right now.

Hot Skitty on Wailord action (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HotSkittyOnWailordAction)?

Eldonauran
2010-03-26, 02:03 PM
I would have suggested taking racial HD until you increase in size but ... you can only advance kobolds by character class.

Bummer.

ericgrau
2010-03-26, 02:07 PM
Is this for a tripper or grappler? Because otherwise a small size is an advantage. Heck, if you can tumble or if you stay at range I'd be tempted to get a permanent reduce person and be tiny. Besides the size penalty kobolds have a -4 to strength, so a tripper/grappler is an uphill battle.

tcrudisi
2010-03-26, 02:30 PM
Create Pun-Pun and then make yourself as large as you want to be. It also has the wonderful side-effect of not being vulnerable to dispel magic.

Jeff240sx
2010-03-26, 02:48 PM
Is this for a tripper or grappler? Because otherwise a small size is an advantage. Heck, if you can tumble or if you stay at range I'd be tempted to get a permanent reduce person and be tiny. Besides the size penalty kobolds have a -4 to strength, so a tripper/grappler is an uphill battle.

It's for a melee character - hence wanting the larger size. With enough feats, you can have a nice full-attack action from a Kobold - the small stature is killing the damage.

ericgrau
2010-03-26, 03:19 PM
Maybe at early levels, but at later levels most of your damage will come from feats and weapon enchantments. Then the extra hits you land from the AB and the reduced hits your receive from the AC will be well worth it. Or even without weapon finesse you'll only be losing a couple points of damage later on.

Or even at low levels, consider a small rapier in two hands + weapon finesse + power attack. 1d4+4 = 6.5 average, vs. 5 for a medium falchion, at the same attack bonus. I say falchion not greatsword because rapiers and falchions have the same crit range; and really once you include the crits it's better than a greatsword. Well, later on anyway; at level 1 you're losing maybe 1 damage vs a greatsword. Ya you'll lose a little damage from MAD when trying to boost both str and dex, but you should still come out ahead sooner or later. At the very least break until it becomes an advantage at higher levels. And really you might not want to burn all of the AB on power attack. Landing your hits may provide more total damage. So in short you should at least manage par early on and then later on you'll be better than medium.

EDIT: Better than a medium kobold anyway. Those lousy stat penalties are still rather painful.