PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Paladin

Dr.Epic
2010-03-26, 02:12 PM
I'm making one and need build help. This is my first paladin ever so I'm a little bit at a loss. I'm not using any variants like from UE or anything. The PHB paladin. I'm just wondering what sort feats I should considering taking. I have no clue what the others players are making so I'm not sure if I should focus more on combat or melee (I'd like to at least do an average amount of healing for the class). Also, need ways to be a good front lines fighter as a halfling. What, if any, prestige classes do you recommend? Also, I want some sort of canine as my mount. That's the whole reason for this build. I want to treat a riding dog or whatever like it has some sort of military rank ("Allow me to introduce Lt. Scruffles, a loyal soldier to me for many years who likes it when I scratch him behind his ear.")

wormwood
2010-03-26, 02:24 PM
Did you just watch Labyrinth?

:)

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-26, 02:30 PM
You're really not going to be much of a healer, but I believe their are some augmentations to healing that you can grab. And of course, Cure Light Wounds, but paladins have better things to use their spell slots for.

A riding dog is a perfect mount for you. As for your PrC, Halfling Outrider sounds absolutely perfect.

Ecalsneerg
2010-03-26, 02:50 PM
I'd recommend a charger build, definitely. Your size will make your charges slightly more likely to hit, and much more importantly, your mount is Medium. Horses are Large. Small chargers are easier to use in dungeons.

HailDiscordia
2010-03-26, 02:54 PM
We just had a halfling paladin in our current campaign, though they met a very unfortunate end. I'll spare you the details. He had a St Bernard as a mount and went with the Mounted Combat feat tree. As a charger he was pretty decent. In melee not so much.

Not sure if you are restricted to core (you mentioned that you want your paladin to be core, but also brought up PrC) but if you are not there is a pretty good healing feat in Complete Divine (I think). Sacred Healing (again, I could be wrong with the name) lets you use turn undead slots to give everyone in 30 feet Fast Healing equal to your CHA for 3 rounds. Great for cleaning up after a battle.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-27, 11:24 AM
Did you just watch Labyrinth?

:)

No. I've never even seen it. Why?

Darklord Xavez
2010-03-27, 11:59 AM
First: you NEED to watch Labyrinth.
Second: I would recommend the Paladin of Freedom (CG Paladin) because halflings are nomads. Chaotic Good fits your race better.
Third: Halfling Outrider is in the Complete Warrior or the SRD if you need it. It's a great mounted choice.
Fourth: If using Elite Array, I recommend (without racial adjustments):
Str 15
Dex 10
Con 12
In 8
Wis 13
Cha 14
-Xavez
P.S. Hope your character does well!

Dr.Epic
2010-03-27, 03:20 PM
First: you NEED to watch Labyrinth.

Tell me something I don't know. I might see if youtube has it divided into 10 min segments and watch it tonight.

Second: I would recommend the Paladin of Freedom (CG Paladin) because halflings are nomads. Chaotic Good fits your race better.

This is my first paladin ever and I don't want to try something outside the PHB. Besides, there has to be token lawful halflings out there.

Third: Halfling Outrider is in the Complete Warrior or the SRD if you need it. It's a great mounted choice.

Well, I was maybe looking for a bit more divine oriented. Maybe even that one other paladin class from Complete Warrior (it starts with a "j", Justicar or something like that), but I'll give Outrider a look over.

Fourth: If using Elite Array, I recommend (without racial adjustments):
Str 15
Dex 10
Con 12
In 8
Wis 13
Cha 14
-Xavez
P.S. Hope your character does well!

Cool. Thanks.

Volkov
2010-03-27, 03:21 PM
I'm making one and need build help. This is my first paladin ever so I'm a little bit at a loss. I'm not using any variants like from UE or anything. The PHB paladin. I'm just wondering what sort feats I should considering taking. I have no clue what the others players are making so I'm not sure if I should focus more on combat or melee (I'd like to at least do an average amount of healing for the class). Also, need ways to be a good front lines fighter as a halfling. What, if any, prestige classes do you recommend? Also, I want some sort of canine as my mount. That's the whole reason for this build. I want to treat a riding dog or whatever like it has some sort of military rank ("Allow me to introduce Lt. Scruffles, a loyal soldier to me for many years who likes it when I scratch him behind his ear.")
I'm sorry, but the image of a hobbit in fullplate armor kicking down a door and shouting "HALT EVIL DOERS!" has me laughing myself to stitches.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-27, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry, but the image of a hobbit in fullplate armor kicking down a door and shouting "HALT EVIL DOERS!" has me laughing myself to stitches.

I don't want to start a whole LOTR/D&D argument here, but Tolkien's Hobbits and D&D halflings are different in many ways. Although, yeah I do see your point and the character is a little humor based.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-27, 04:45 PM
Ride a brixashulty! They are badass goats with a knockback attached to their gore attack. Same sort of thing as big fluffy dog, but in my opinion, more flavorful. Brixashulty is from RoW.

Volkov
2010-03-27, 04:54 PM
I don't want to start a whole LOTR/D&D argument here, but Tolkien's Hobbits and D&D halflings are different in many ways. Although, yeah I do see your point and the character is a little humor based.

Aren't halflings less fat than hobbits and actually wear shoes? If I remember, halflings essentially look like miniature adults or children depending on the artist.

Soranar
2010-03-27, 09:17 PM
Not to whine , but this is an optimization board.

If you can't take alternate class features, your options a REALLY limited.

Even the player's handbook has some (although in your case charging smite is a terrible idea as a riding dog is a great mount/animal companion)

Can you even play a strongheart halfling? (extra feat instead of bonus save to fear which you are immune to anyway)

And you should state which books are allowed.

Considering core only , no ACF

power attack, mounted combat, ride-by attack, spirited charge

buy yourself a dog for levels 1-5 (it should survive unless you have terrible luck)

once you get your mount, get it armor (barding)

if you use a point buy system, be average (don't maximize a stat, and dump dex and int)

HunterOfJello
2010-03-27, 09:46 PM
I was going to recommend the Paladin prestige class, but it seems you only want to use the PHB Paladin.

The Paladin of Freedom, which is almost exactly the same as the normal LG paladin, is usually better to play since they has less restrictions for roleplaying actions and are dedicated to freedom (something halflings care a great deal about).

~~~

The Paladin's Handbook would be a great place to start for information.

Complete Divine
Complete Champion
Complete Warrior
Book of Exalted Deeds

are all great sources for Paladin info

Races of Destiny has info on Halflings with a few nice things like Yondalla’s Sense (give wisdom bonus to initiative for halflings)

~~~

I would also take a look at the Spell Compendium once you start casting spells. The spell list originally given to paladins is very lacking and there are several great new spells in the spell compendium that would make your character a better partial spellcaster like Sense Heretic, Divine Insight or Awaken Sin.

Runestar
2010-03-27, 10:03 PM
Might you want to consider playing a halfling fighter focusing on mounted combat instead, and roleplaying him like a paladin instead? This lets you take mounted combat and spirited charge at 1st lv, letting you do 3d6+3xstr on a successful charge. You can also some of the other mounted feats faster.

With a paladin, you have to wait till 3rd lv unless you go strongheart halfling.

Leon
2010-03-28, 04:17 AM
Not to whine , but this is an optimization board.

Its not but it has a high chance of occurrence anyway - a optimization board would be that Brilliant Gameologists board.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-28, 04:53 AM
Assuming you stick with your standard LG paladin, The Phylactery of Faithfulness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#phylacteryofFaithfulness) is completely necessary in some games (albeit buzz-killing in others). It's also a good protection against Helm of Opposite Alignment, but I suppose that's a corner case. I'll +1 recommend the strongheart halfling going into mounted combat/spirited charge/power attack.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-28, 08:47 AM
Races of the Wild: Yondalla's Sense - Add WIS to INIT, Underfoot Combat (amusing against trolls and ogres etc.)
Champion's of Valour has the Halfling Paladin Substitution levels for which the level 3 is great (count as 1 size larger for bullrush etc. -- essentially gives you a cut down powerul build for halflings). Using the Option to multi-class with Monk is not such a bad idea if you use the UA Fighting style variant. Check out Tiger.
Ascetic Knight from Complete Adventurer is a good idea if you go down that road.

I'd look at focusing on DEX and WIS for your main two stats and then CON and CHA for your second two. Weapon Finesse will also be highly useful.
MAD is often going to be a problem. I try and ditch Strength, at least down to 10 if I can.
Armour Special Materials that allow you a higher max dex and lower armour check penalties are also highly useful. I found that out the hard way with my first two attempts at a halfling paladin.

Due to the number of feats you will likely need I would suggest that you go a Strongheart Halfling.

Lastly the Vow of Poverty feet can be oddly useful in some campaigns.
I tried a completely unarmoured Halfling Paladin/Monk with the Vow of Poverty that worked great. I focused on fighting with the quarterstaff solely and took feats that emphasised that style.
Sainthood just added more kick-ass in the end.

If your DM is generous the Shibi Protector from Oriental Adventures re-fluffed is also useful. Mainly level 1. In fact really only the WIS to attack rolls and Damage from level 1. lol.

Fitz10019
2010-03-28, 08:52 AM
Ride a brixashulty! They are badass goats with a knockback attached to their gore attack. Same sort of thing as big fluffy dog, but in my opinion, more flavorful. Brixashulty is from RoW.

+1 for the brixashulty. Please do the Admiral and me a favor and read up on the brix. It deserves consideration. Maybe you should start with a dog and then have the brix would be your special mount.

Akal Saris
2010-03-28, 02:14 PM
Never heard of the brixushulty either actually.

And as a sidenote, watch Labyrinth! I saw it for the first time last year, and it made me want to play a halfling paladin riding a dog so badly!