PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get an Internship

Dr.Epic
2010-03-26, 09:51 PM
So I have this old teacher of mine who I just recently found contact info for on the internet (it's not nearly as creepy/stalker-y as it sounds). I took there class outside of my high school and I really enjoyed taking two of their courses and they really enjoyed having me. Anyway, I'm planning on shooting them an email asking if they'd help me get an internship. I just don't know how to phrase it. I haven't spoken to them since I took their class like three-four years ago and I don't want to sound like a jerk who's just asking for an internship. I mean I am but I did enjoy taking their class and would like to try and have some sort of relationship with them because they were not only an awesome teacher but also an awesome person. So, any general thoughts on this?

Syka
2010-03-26, 09:55 PM
Are there any professors/teachers/what not whom you could go to first who you are currently, or have recently been, in contact with?

I think if you go through those channels first and contact this teacher in the mean time to reconnect, it wouldn't be as bad to ask for an internship after you have reestablished a friendship.

One thing I'll actually be doing eventually, if my contacts fail me, is going to places I'd like to intern at with my resume and talk to someone in either the department I want to be in or in hiring, or both. That's another route you can take.