PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 : Episodes

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-26, 10:19 PM
In my great adventure of playing all of the Half-Lifes in a row, I just done 1-shot Episode 1..

I have to say, Valve is really showing perfectionment about filtering out what is annoying and emphasing what is good. Not a moment did Alyx got on my nerve (okay, maybe once, when she told me to hurry up to open a specific door). Except for that, it was like having a badass fangirl for the ride who had a sense of humour.

Actually, the writing in general was great. I loved Barney's "Don't tell me you got followed here Gorgon", or Alyx's faking zombie sounds in the dark. Or the way they reacted when I shot down the T.V.

All these little things that just make you appreciate a good action game. The ending was kinda hardcore, however. Is it me, or the Snipers actually took a Level in Badass between HL2 and Episode 1?

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-28, 04:23 PM
Aaaaand decided to finish Episode 2. Alyx was slightly more annoying in that episode, but still one of the best side-kicks I've ever had. I gotta admit, however, more than often, I really felt helpless story-wise, making me hope that Gordon Freeman wasn't a mute..

Oh, by the way, is it just me, or the Grand Finale was
1) Very fun
2) A Missed Moment of Awesome?

I explain #2:

I liked the fact that rebels were with me on that, and shot rockets at the incoming striders. It felt like I wasn't alone on that fight. However, it would also have been nice to see Dog running and engaging the Striders/Hunters too...

Sleverin
2010-03-28, 05:47 PM
I loved Ep. 2, but I hated Ep. 1. Well, not the whole thing...going back into the tower was wicked awesome and it was interesting to recently re-visit a spot where you just seriously tore some stuff up. The whole wandering around in the dark thing was a real pain though, and to top it off, Alyx even points out something mechanically wrong with the game, semi-breaking the fourth wall but also adding to my annoyance that Valve knew about it (to which I mean the auxillary power being used by so many things). I felt like it became kind of a trudge near the end of it though, especially with that strider fight...didn't enjoy it too much.

Ep. 2 however I found immensely enjoyable, driving through the country side, getting surprised, and the whole suspense issue was all very well done. My only problem with the last scene was the hunters AND striders issue. The striders were pretty hard, and if we didn't have the device (can't remember that professors name) we could just use rocket launchers or something...I dunno. I burnt up almost all of my ammo in that scene, except on my second playthrough I learned that you can just drive the car over the hunters for an insta kill and it doesn't require much speed.

Thrawn183
2010-03-28, 06:01 PM
Yeah Episode 1 was nowhere near as good as Episode 2. I particularly didn't like the parts with invincible striders. I'd end up blasting rocket after rocket into the things and end up dying before eventually, I'd try just running past them to the part in the story where they were no longer invincible.

I actually felt like the ending of Episode 2 was suitably epic. While not so hard I wanted to punch something, there was definitely a sense of significant accomplishment.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-28, 06:43 PM
Yeah Episode 1 was nowhere near as good as Episode 2. I particularly didn't like the parts with invincible striders. I'd end up blasting rocket after rocket into the things and end up dying before eventually, I'd try just running past them to the part in the story where they were no longer invincible.

I actually felt like the ending of Episode 2 was suitably epic. While not so hard I wanted to punch something, there was definitely a sense of significant accomplishment.

Invincible striders? Can you remember me where those happen?