PDA

View Full Version : Online Tabletops

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-26, 11:37 PM
So, I've been playing PbP on MythWeavers for a long time. Thing is I only play online because out here in Frogfart, Arkansas we have no gameshops or groups for me to actually play DnD with.

Thing is PbP isn't too satisfying for me. It's good if you don't have the kind of time to devote to gaming, but I'm a living at home college student that only goes two days a week. So I've been trying to get into online tabletops (which I find preferable to using to playing on IRC and the like).

So. Anyone here use Maptool or OpenRPG?

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-28, 09:20 PM
I'll only give this one bump just because I can't be the only one who uses these.

I've seen more than one person use the Tangled Web's sheets and nearly all of that board is devoted to this sort of thing >.>

gdiddy
2010-03-28, 09:30 PM
http://www.d20pro.com/index.php

Great program that my friend has recently been trying to utilize.

GreyVulpine
2010-03-28, 09:43 PM
I've used RPTools' Maptool to good effect. Resources are plentiful, in tutorials, FAQs, community and in mapping objects available.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-29, 12:48 AM
OpenRPG is fantastic; I highly recommend it. The documentation, however, is god-awful, so you may have to do some digging if you want to so something in particular.

Seffbasilisk
2010-03-29, 01:24 AM
I play in a Maptools game at least once a week. True, we base the game out of Tangledweb (DarknessFalls, if you're interested, I play Sir Argran.)

It's a much simplified set up, and helps avoid a number of the issues of PbP, most predominantly the mapping.

'Ware the macros though. That's a slippery slope. Do it for one thing, and all of a sudden you'll find you're macro-ing everything, and if one's off....

Bah. I like my rolls [1d20+17] for [2d6+7] and [2d6] Holy damage.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-29, 01:50 AM
Heh heh, I've never actually played a game, mostly because I've been hooked on Pathfinder and I don't see much of that on Tangled Web.

I did try messing around with OpenRPG before, and yeah, it's sorta boggy. From what I can tell I like Maptool better.

And I'll have to look into d20Pro. It looks rather promising.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-29, 01:56 AM
Actually Giant in the Playground has it's own irc chat full of people who play using maptools and other programs. (They hang out in irc and talk about the game there, but they play in maptools.)

you can find them at:

irc.gamesurge.net
port: 6667
#GiantITP

I've played a few games with the people there and they're all pretty cool. I hang out in there frequently on the name Jello.

Also, most of the games are in 4e, although I think there are one or two done in 3.5e. You'll have to ask about them inside.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-29, 02:07 AM
That's actually really cool. I'll have to see what's up when it's not so late, see if I can get some Pathfinder action >.>

Even if I am a bit rusty at IRC. Have to crank up Mibbit and see what I find

Gralamin
2010-03-29, 02:33 AM
I might as well mention some things here, as a regular.
#1) The IRC is not official.
#2) There are slightly more 4e games running usually since the people who are online and can play tend to prefer 4e. Also, as one of the regular DMs, I prefer 4e.
#3) There are some 3.5 games currently, and they actually currently either match or exceed the 4e games.
#4) We need more DMs :smallfrown:

That said, I've used maptool quite a bit. As a programmer, you can guess I've done quite a bit with the macros.

I have, however, noticed that maptool's netcode is bad. Very bad. So loading games can take forever (And I've tried all the speed up fixes - Including running it with a JIT compiler). So if you want Speed, Gametable is likely superior. If you want superior features, maptool has that.

EvilBloodGnome
2010-03-29, 05:32 PM
I'll use whatever people are using. I'm patient enough to wait but can appreciate speed.

Ans heh. What place /doesn't/ need more DMs?