PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here study Norse mythology? I want to know how they lived by honor.

Pika...
2010-03-27, 04:47 AM
{scrubbed}

UnChosenOne
2010-03-27, 06:28 AM
This (http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/drengur.htm) article might give you somesort of idea about concept of honor in norse ra Iceland.

Asta Kask
2010-03-27, 07:36 AM
I am at a very basic level of understanding it, but I already know you can not fight/kill/duel someone/everyone who disrespects you (or should I say "dishonor"?) in this day and age, though, for example.

That's a relief. :smallbiggrin:

You can look up Havamal. (http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/havamal.html) (Sayings of the High One, Odin)

Yarram
2010-03-27, 08:22 AM
I am at a very basic level of understanding it, but I already know you can not fight/kill/duel someone/everyone who disrespects you (or should I say "dishonor"?) in this day and age, though, for example.

I can't?! :smallredface:
You couldn't have told me this a few years ago could you?

Come on though. If you're gunna become a Norseman, you might as well do the full deal.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-27, 12:57 PM
You know its a Pika thread when:
-The title is really, really long and specific.
-Its something you would never expect anyone to ask. Ever.
:smalltongue:

Anyways, following the Norse culture and religion and all that might still be rather hard in this day and age, mostly because its essentially died out by anyone but, like, followers of Viking Metal.
Which I've heard exists.
Granted, I try to follow the Mandalorian code, so good on you for doing something that exists. Or existed.
Whatevs.

Pika...
2010-03-27, 01:09 PM
{Scrubbed}

bosssmiley
2010-03-27, 01:22 PM

Some foes (fools, children, those ignorant of your ways) are obviously not worthy of your scorn. It would be undrengrlich(?) of you to treat them as equals and demand full satisfaction for their insults.

Really, we already have the vestiges of the Norse honour code inherent in our own cult of the gentleman. That may have archaic connotations now, but the fundamental tenets of what is honourable and manly conduct (courage, honesty, seriousness of mind, dedication to one's word, etc.) still hold true today (http://artofmanliness.com/).

I wish you all the best in your studies and explorations Pika.

Pika...
2010-03-27, 01:30 PM
Some foes (fools, children, those ignorant of your ways) are obviously not worthy of your scorn. It would be undrengrlich(?) of you to treat them as equals and demand full satisfaction for their insults.

I am just beginning to read on all this, I have a lot to learn. Sadly there is no one to learn from. :/

However, who knows. I might be able to pull this off. :smallwink:

Sneak
2010-03-27, 01:31 PM
Um, why can't you just make up your own code of honor instead of trying to live up to some archaic and arbitrary standard that is no longer relevant to the modern world?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-27, 02:04 PM
Thats less edgey and attention grabbing.

Pyrian
2010-03-29, 09:59 AM
...Viking Metal.
Which I've heard exists.I'm a big fan of Leaves Eyes. :smallbiggrin:

My Destiny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15yaPYNDRU)
Elegy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgOJDL9iyQ)

Solaris
2010-03-29, 10:34 AM
Um, why can't you just make up your own code of honor instead of trying to live up to some archaic and arbitrary standard that is no longer relevant to the modern world?

He'll wind up remaking it into his own image. I'm curious, though, what makes you say it's archaic, arbitrary, and no longer relevant? We in the military abide by a very similar code of honor. Reading the article, very similar. Less quick to outlaw someone, and obviously we don't fight to the death very often, but nonetheless quite similar in the mind-set and intent behind the laws.
Then again, there is a pretty big difference between the military culture and the civilian culture.

Sneak
2010-03-29, 05:05 PM
He'll wind up remaking it into his own image. I'm curious, though, what makes you say it's archaic, arbitrary, and no longer relevant? We in the military abide by a very similar code of honor. Reading the article, very similar. Less quick to outlaw someone, and obviously we don't fight to the death very often, but nonetheless quite similar in the mind-set and intent behind the laws.
Then again, there is a pretty big difference between the military culture and the civilian culture.

To be honest, I don't know all that much about the Norse code of honor (I didn't go to any of the links), but I would imagine a lot of it is intended to deal with situations of various kinds that no longer occur as often (if ever) in modern society.

My point with arbitrary was: why Norse? Why not Sumerian? Aztec? Maasai?

Ultimately, I think it's more important and more useful to create your own personal code of honor based on your beliefs and upbringing than to pick a preexisting system and try to artificially fit it to your life. All human existence is solipsistic to some extent, and at the end of the day, it's what you (and the law of your country of residence, I guess) think is important that is important.

I just think trying to hold yourself to someone else's standards, even those of an ancient culture that you identify heavily with, is a dangerous thing to do.

Pyrian
2010-03-29, 05:57 PM
When I lived in an Aikido dojo in Ocean Beach, some of the other Uchi Deshis (live-in students) were heavily into Budo.

Me: "Dude, you're not an ancient Japanese warrior."
Him: "Maybe, but I follow the way and it's going to make me awesome."
Me: "How does The Way of the Warrior guide you as a clerk at Blockbuster?"
Him: "Okay, like, how many Blockbuster clerks can actually bust blocks?"
Me: "I'm not sure, exactly, but I've got a spare cinderblock and $20 saying that you're not one of them."
Him: "...Shut up!"
:smallamused:

snoopy13a
2010-03-29, 09:20 PM
As a side note, I've always been dubious when it comes to honor. Granted, people shouldn't lie, cheat or steal. However, it seems that honor is often used as a justification to commit violence.

Anuan
2010-03-29, 09:38 PM
When I lived in an Aikido dojo in Ocean Beach, some of the other Uchi Deshis (live-in students) were heavily into Budo.

Me: "Dude, you're not an ancient Japanese warrior."
Him: "Maybe, but I follow the way and it's going to make me awesome."
Me: "How does The Way of the Warrior guide you as a clerk at Blockbuster?"
Him: "Okay, like, how many Blockbuster clerks can actually bust blocks?"
Me: "I'm not sure, exactly, but I've got a spare cinderblock and $20 saying that you're not one of them."
Him: "...Shut up!"
:smallamused:

Pyrian, the more you talk, the more I admire you.

Sneak
2010-03-29, 10:30 PM
As a side note, I've always been dubious when it comes to honor. Granted, people shouldn't lie, cheat or steal. However, it seems that honor is often used as a justification to commit violence.

What!? You don't like honor systems!?

I challenge you to a duel to the death! Honor demands it!

(:smalltongue:)

Ellen
2010-03-30, 01:03 AM
Depends on definitions of honor. There are times when some demand enduring slights, insults, pain, etc. rather than retaliating.

I think some systems call "honor" what I would call "pride." Killing someone to maintain some kind of prestige is pride. Enduring a loss of prestige - even a very painful one - because the only alternative is wrong is honor.

Granted, taking up arms to defend someone/something because it's the right thing to do - even if it's an unpopular cause - is also honorable.

Quincunx
2010-03-30, 03:16 AM
How much subjugation are you asking of your beliefs? You. Asking. Heh. Have to ask permission to ask that, under some systems of (oh why are bodily sonic obscenities not an at-will ability) honor? We've already drifted away from the post-conquest English land allocation system, when all was held by the king and parceled out in return for service, when you did not even own your honor and I do mean rich brown earth. Now the Hurstwic page does not touch upon the slaveholdings of that society, but there were notions of human ownership in the culture. Are you a vassal or a lord in the culture from which you have ripped yourself, are you vassal or lord in this culture which you have petitioned for membership?

Solaris said "we". Never thought I'd hear that from him. Never. Followed by Sneak who asks why there is a need for 'we' in the moral code. They're the poles of another axis of consideration. Exile from the 'we' is the potent disincentive, implying that without a group of 'we' to belong to, you cannot practice Norse (or English) honor (or frankpledge). Are you a petitioner or member in this culture which you have petitioned for membership? Do you use the word "we"? I don't see it here but I've seen it from you for the 'womanly' Pokemon fan-site. Oh, and guffaw a hearty laugh, for they are the 'they' to the 'we' you want to be--unless you invert that assumption and take the women's honor-group as your own--for you cannot live an honorable life without a group to oppose, you cannot be friend of all the world!

Last and most, do you listen to the carrion-bird who sits behind your shoulder and pecks at you when your notion of what is honorable parts company with your notion of what is good?

absolmorph
2010-03-30, 03:29 AM
People need justification to do violence? :smallconfused:
They've always seemed willing to do it to me without trying to justify it.
Although that might have something to do with what I said about their mother...

SilverSheriff
2010-03-30, 09:12 AM
I try to follow the Mandalorian code...

FOR MAND'ALOR!:smallbiggrin:

Bothi
2010-05-03, 09:20 PM
Well, lets see, dieing in battle was an honor, casting of runes was an honorable privalage,having your body sailed into the ocean on a burning boat (AFTER your dead) symbolized leadership in battle or being a village elder(wiseman), they wished to keep peace within in their own village and it was an honarable thing to defend your village. The rest I can think of is connected to religion. (p.s. They were never scared of trees)

Mando Knight
2010-05-03, 09:35 PM
Hmm. I am not sure what the Mandalorian code is, but I will have to give it a search/read.

The Six Actions (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Six_Actions).

1. Wear armor
2. Speak the language
3. Defend yourself and your family
4. Raise your children as Mandalorians
5. Contribute to the clan's welfare
6. When called to arms by Mand'alor, rally to his cause

Education and armor,
Self-defense, our tribe,
Our language, our leader,
All help us survive.

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-03, 09:39 PM
You know its a Pika thread when:
-The title is really, really long and specific.
-Its something you would never expect anyone to ask. Ever....

-Its contrary to the Forum Rules or likely to lead other posters to violate the Forum Rules.

Hence why I need some Spiritual/Religious guidance I think...

As you well know, this is not the place for that.

Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread locked. One final note: you can't take a religious topic and make it not religious claiming it's so.