PDA

View Full Version : New DM seeks advice

Azernak0
2010-03-27, 04:55 AM
Okie dokie.

I have played 3.0 and 3.5 for years and am well versed in the rules. I am now looking at being a DM and was wondering if there were any good modules available. I have a story thought up but things like fights and dungeon maps are coming up a little short.

Relevant Information:
1. No Arcane Spell casters. Bards and other classes that have some spells are allowed but no Wizards/Sorcerers. Psionics will be used instead. It is a story thing.
2. Thinking about doing Gestalt because I think it would be fun because it would be different. However, as a new DM it might be a little too difficult.
3. Starting at level 1 or 2.
4. Contemplating throwing alignment at the wall.
5. General advice would be swell.

BobVosh
2010-03-27, 05:46 AM
I'm confused as to what you want. Do you want to take dungeon maps from various modules? You have a plotline, which is why most people want a module(that or filler).

Do you just want balanced fights? If so I really just recommend you build some fights below what you think the party can do. Just build from there.

Just think a little on what you want and you will find you build encounters quickly.

As for general advice: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474

It is a goldmine of newbie tips.

Shpadoinkle
2010-03-27, 07:13 AM
1. No Arcane Spell casters. Bards and other classes that have some spells are allowed but no Wizards/Sorcerers. Psionics will be used instead. It is a story thing.
2. Thinking about doing Gestalt because I think it would be fun because it would be different. However, as a new DM it might be a little too difficult.
3. Starting at level 1 or 2.
4. Contemplating throwing alignment at the wall.
5. General advice would be swell.

1: Arcane (and divine) casters are horribly, horribly overpowered if played intelligently. Psionics is actually somewhat balanced. Should be fine. Just make sure you know the rules (specifically that you can't augment a power with more PPs than your manifester level)
2: I'd reccommend you not go with gestalt if it's the first time you're DMing. Run a one or two-shot with gestalt to get a feel for them, but if it's your first campaign, I have to reccommend against it.
3: Always good.
4: Most people ignore it anyway unless there's a mechanical effect.
5: LEARN TO WING IT. Players will invariably come up with the ONE thing you hadn't planned for (and it will almost as invariably be a really, really stupid idea, and they will not allow you to deter them from it.) The trick is to take thier ideas and work them into the overall narrative.

PersonMan
2010-03-27, 10:57 AM
5: LEARN TO WING IT. Players will invariably come up with the ONE thing you hadn't planned for (and it will almost as invariably be a really, really stupid idea, and they will not allow you to deter them from it.) The trick is to take thier ideas and work them into the overall narrative.

Inversely, make sure you know how you're going to connect the parts of the adventure. Earlier when I DMed I often left parts like these open, and it was difficult to get the PCs from A to C without a concrete B.

Also, a few pre-planned "random" encounters to get the PCs back on track if you really need to, along with some random scenarios for nearby areas, can help you if the PCs ever wander away from what you've planned.