PDA

View Full Version : i need help with magic item creation

Itous
2010-03-27, 05:09 AM
Hi all i need some help with magic item creation, i do not know how to begin making magic items of any kind.

the page in the DMG confusesme because ofmy dyslexia although most people tell me they get confused by it.

so if someone could maybe give me some sort of help as to how to work things out etc either by PM or email or what ever i would be happy or even if there is a quick method of working it out

all i know is base price for item. and thats it

so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Kind Regards

Joel

Geiger Counter
2010-03-27, 05:44 AM
Look up SRD and check if your computer has a text to speech function, if it doesn't download one.

Itous
2010-03-27, 12:28 PM
how will that help? what do i do once i get a text to speach thing?

ericgrau
2010-03-27, 03:13 PM
I think he assumed you had real dyslexia, in which case you'd have trouble reading but not hearing.

To start, here are the rules:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm
The 2nd table is the most useful one. Also take a look at example items and their prices, that will help you out. Clicking on the links in the table will provide more detailed explanations.

People could help more if you posted a couple items you are trying to make.

Itous
2010-03-27, 04:26 PM
ah yes it makes more sense now about the whole hearing it things how ever the math doesn't add up.

lets say i wanted to make a +5 sword how do i work out the cost to make it from that

or put up 5 enchantments on an amulet which from what i understand is essentially a +5 bonus which is the limit if i'm not mistaken

as above how do i work out the cost for each one? i will read over the other stuff now but from what i understand from the chart is this.

lets say leather armor is 2 gold to master work it is +100 so 102 base price for master work item x50 = 21,500 is the real base price for the magic item

21,500 x 50 gives me the exp i need to burn making it which is 1,075,000

x tat by 5 and that gives me...... 5,375,000 gold to make it which means it would sell for double that

how ever that just strikes me as wrong way to much for a next to nothing +1 magic armor bonus i've seen things in the MIC for cheaper then that :/

obviously i am doing something wrong here?

Itous

p.s. looking at the other stuff now

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-27, 04:36 PM
Magic armor and shields actually have a table so you can skip any formula,
weapons cost are double that of armor.
So For Armor
+1=1,000gp
+2=4,000gp
+3=9,000gp
+4=16,000gp
+5=25,000gp
[Weapons and armor can't have an enchantment bonus higher then +5, but they could have a +5 enchantment and +5 worth of abilities, not counting epic]
+6=36,000gp
+7=49,000gp
+8=64,000gp
+9=81,000gp
+10=100,000gp
*Anything above this is an epic weapon and the price goes up dramatically.

Masterwork weapons cost +300gp and masterwork armor is +150gp.
The mundane material of the weapon has nothing to do with enchanting except for cold iron, but lets leave that exception out for now.

The XP cost is NOT the market price x 25 but the market price divided by 25.

So a +5 Vorpal Sword has a market price of 200,000gp plus the base weapon.

Its creation cost is 100,000gp one half the market price costing the creator 8,000xp

Itous
2010-03-27, 06:06 PM
ok i know there is enchantment bonuses and costs and such in the DMG, now knowing what that table is used for it makes alot more sense, thank you very much.

ok lets assume i am a fighter
and what if i wanted to make a sword that cast, fireshield, empowered maximised Orb of Frost (this way it just deals orb of frost damage on strike), Protection from & Protection from Law, does each spell count as a +1 to enchantment and thus i use the table and double the cost? and just work out the damage as by the spells i have chosen?

also how does that table effect for wanderous items, wands or rods??

Debihuman
2010-03-27, 09:41 PM
A straight up fighter doesn't have the prerequisites necessary to make magic items. You need the appropriate feat that is Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, which has the prerequisite being able to cast 5th level spells.

Debby

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-27, 09:56 PM
ok i know there is enchantment bonuses and costs and such in the DMG, now knowing what that table is used for it makes alot more sense, thank you very much.

and what if i wanted to make a sword that cast, fireshield, empowered maximised Orb of Frost (this way it just deals orb of frost damage on strike), Protection from & Protection from Law, does each spell count as a +1 to enchantment and thus i use the table and double the cost? and just work out the damage as by the spells i have chosen?

also how does that table effect for wondrous items, wands or rods??

The table is good for basic armor and weapons, other items all have there own rules. The weapon you propose would be an artifact beyond creation by players. If you don't know how much an item should cost the best person to ask is your dungeon master. As they have the final anyway.

Lysander
2010-03-27, 10:30 PM
You're probably better off just getting an Icy Burst Sword if you want cold damage, and getting the defensive spells you want (or similar enough spells) on different pieces of armor and protective wondrous items.

EpicEvokerElf
2010-03-27, 10:36 PM

Not at all. First off, you can't (as Debby mentioned) make this yourself. More importantly, however, making a sword cast spells does not increase its effective enhancement bonus. (Aside, if you wanted to deal cold damage on hit, you'd make it a Frost sword [+1].)

You'd begin with a +1 Frost Longsword (effective +2, 8,000 retail, creation cost 4,000, 320 XP). Actually adding empowered, maximised Orb of Frost would be obscenely expensive and require a 17th-level caster (4th level spell + 2 (empower) + 3 (maximize) = 9th-level).

I'll assume you want Fire Shield to be at-will, command word, and the same for Protection from Law. I'll also calculate for continuous effects, as this is probably a fairer pricing guideline (as you can have it whenever you want either way).

Command Word (Protection from Law): 1st level x CL 1 x 1,800 GP = 1,800 GP
Use-activated/Continuous (Protection from Law): 1st level x CL 1 x 2,000 GP x 2 (minute/level duration; footnote on the pricing table) = 4,000 GP

Command (Fire Shield): 4th level x CL 7 x 1,800 GP = 50,400
Continuous (Fire Shield): 4th level x CL 7 x 2,000 GP x 4 (round/level) = 224,000 (EPIC item; cost over 200,000 GP)

Both of these costs would be doubled, as they have no space limitation (they don't take up a body slot, but are rather added on to a weapon, and have nothing to do with the weapon's other properties). You're essentially making your weapon into a magic weapon and a wondrous item separately. This would cost at least 112,715 GP (for command-word, includes the cost of the weapon). I'd probably charge much more, using the Continuous pricing (as the example for Command Word is a once/day item), and double the cost of enhancements on the weapon as well. This would be an obscenely expensive epic item (464,312 GP market price).

Hope this helped a bit!

(PS: Making it deliver a maximized, empowered Orb of Cold on hit would cost well over a million gold additionally, perhaps up to 4 or 5 million. Not happening. 9th level x CL 17 x 2,000 GP x (duration factor of 8, since it's an instantaneous duration ordinarily; I'm extrapolating this - an RAW reading indicates that this ought to be impossible) = 2,448,000 GP; double this for adding it to an item with other properties to get a minimum of 4,896,000 GP.)

Itous
2010-03-28, 06:46 AM
yes i know a fighter can't make the item, i made a boo boo ok, now can we get back to the part where you guys aren't picking holes and decide to help?

EpicEvokerElf thanks for the post i'm still trying to get my head around it though, check your PM inbox for more.