PDA

View Full Version : [RP] Do I hold my oath fulfilled....

gibbo88
2010-03-27, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I have a lawful neutral halfling outrider, Cade, who previously served a travelling caravan that was attacked by invaders while in an allies citadel. Initially he fought in a skirmish action to hold the invaders back while the allies and his friends could regroup. In order to buy more time he and several others went on and caused a distraction in the main camp. In the process of this he was killed in action. Thanks to a lack of afterlife he is returning as a ghost, however I am not sure what is going to happen...

What I am having trouble deciding is whether, if he was your character, would you hold the oath of service fulfilled. To see what he has been through in his service, you can see the link in my sig.

If youd like any more info ask, and you shall receive.

Greenish
2010-03-27, 07:20 AM
How many sessions are we supposed to crawl through to find what your oath actually was? :smallamused:

Wagadodo
2010-03-27, 08:18 AM
It was my character I would look at the service that he agreed to perform. Did he promise to see the caravan safely back to it desitation, or did he just promise to protect it with his life. If the oath was for to see it the caravan to its destination I would say then the oath has not been fufilled. If promised to protect it with his life, it has been fufilled. So I think it is more the intention of your character at the time of the swearing of the oath than the actual deeds done.

My 2 coppers.

Swordgleam
2010-03-27, 08:50 AM
I'd go with the exact wording of the oath. But then, I like faeries and demons (and not wish spells). If he said, "I promise to protect the caravan," then technically, he fulfilled it within his first five minutes of service.

megabyter5
2010-03-27, 09:19 AM
The following oaths would have been fulfilled:
*protect the caravan with your life
*protect the caravan as well as possible
*protect the caravan (no qualifiers)

But these ones wouldn't:
*see the caravan to its destination
*keep the caravan from being attacked
*keep any and all attackers away

Decide what's closest to your oath, and go from there.

2xMachina
2010-03-27, 11:50 AM
*keep the caravan from being attacked
*keep any and all attackers away

^ These 2 means you're an oath-breaker pretty easily. And no hope to ever fix it, short of time travel.

Single attacker arrives. Oath is broken.

Zellic Solis
2010-03-27, 12:10 PM
Or oath is instantly fulfilled. No time limit was set. One minute passes? No attacks on the caravan? My oath was fulfilled.

Of course the folks in Arcadia might not be too terribly impressed with that oath. Their formula states that for every day an oath is fulfilled you invert spend one hundred years as a serf. for 1 /1440th of a day of an oath fulfilled... you'll be a serf for 140,000 years. Here's your hoe. If you wish to file a complaint please see the Modron. Next!

bosssmiley
2010-03-27, 12:51 PM
"...until my lord release me, or death take me..."

Dying in the execution of a sworn oath is generally seen as fulfilling it to the best of ones' ability. If fact, it's more or less the quintessential definition of 'above and beyond the call of duty'.

All horsepucky gotcha clauses and logic-chopping aside, that is one oath well and truly fulfilled.

Riffington
2010-03-27, 06:33 PM
Dying in the execution of a sworn oath is generally seen as fulfilling it to the best of ones' ability. If fact, it's more or less the quintessential definition of 'above and beyond the call of duty'.

All horsepucky gotcha clauses and logic-chopping aside, that is one oath well and truly fulfilled.

I agree. Dying attempting to fulfill an oath is always good enough.
Had he ran away, he might have to spend his afterlife on the oath. This is not the case. Cade's afterlife should be spent on a different piece of unfinished business.

gibbo88
2010-03-27, 09:57 PM
Cheers everyone, that pretty much goes along with what I was thinking - he did his best and, regardless of if it saved everyone or not, that was what he promised to do.