PDA

View Full Version : College Advice

V for Victory
2010-03-27, 07:55 AM
I recently have been accepted to Frostburg State University (kind of a party school)
Does the playground have any advice for someone new too college?

Serpentine
2010-03-27, 08:03 AM
1. If you're living on-campus, in a residential college, where you get given your meals, beware the food. If it's an "all you can eat" arrangement, great! But the food is almost certainly not as tasty as you think it is, and is almost certainly incredibly bad for you. Beware it.

2. I recommend living in a residential college for at least a semester. Much easier to make friends. I don't recommend living there for more than a year, but that's just me. If you're not doing that, then make sure you go out of your way to meet people.

3. Keep on top of things.

4. Talk to your lecturers. In my experience, most of them are pretty easy going, and are willing to bend over backwards to make sure you get a good mark (reflects well on them, after all). And being friendly with them couldn't hurt.

5. Be active in, or at least informed about, uni politics. You never know how a council decision will effect you :smallsigh:

Ummmm... That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

edit: Oh, thought of another one.

6. Learn your lecturers' marking habits. For example, I had one lecturer who was a ridiculous stickler for grammar and punctuation (got 96% from him :smallamused:), one who despised any hint of pure professionalism in his essays (think I got a 98% from him :smallamused:), and another who gave me extra marks for being funny (HD from her, but failed the class because I quit without quitting).

Yucca
2010-03-27, 08:13 AM
Go to class. It's really tempting to sleep in, get the notes form someone else. Eventually your MWF class becomes a WF class. Then you say "who wants to go to class on Friday", so your WF class is now just a W.

Then you fail. Getting notes from someone isn't nearly as good as good as being there. I saw it happen to more than one person.

RS14
2010-03-27, 08:23 AM
As someone who has been up all night (It's 0620h here) due to a number obnoxious, inebriated, twits carousing on my hall and in my dorm, I will remark that a party school has some disadvantages (I'm not at a party school; I just share a dorm with drunken idiots).

Look very carefully at the various requirements before you accept. I'm currently wasting my time with the numerous humanities courses my college requires (I'm a mathematician! This has no relevance to me!), and I'm exceedingly bitter about it.

Look at the roommate selection process. If you don't use drugs, and don't want a roommate who uses drugs, it's very nice to be able to get that.

Consider finances first. If you want to get a degree in the humanities, you probably need to either take loans or be wealthy already. Bankruptcy does not discharge college loans.

Sleep. Go to class. Do not do both at once. It is rude.

It is also rude to use a laptop while in class. The professors realize that you're probably using it to browse the facebook. (The exception is classes that is actively using a particular resource, e.g. a pdf.)

Talk to people. Finding the nth page of the ith pdf in the jth department detailing how dorm assignments take place is difficult. Getting an upperclassmen to explain it is easy.

MIT VIEW: Your body serves your mind, your mind serves the Institute. Push the mind and the body will follow. Drink Mountain Dew.

pendell
2010-03-27, 08:36 AM
I recently have been accepted to Frostburg State University (kind of a party school)
Does the playground have any advice for someone new too college?

*Waves* I went to college from 1989-1993 , and back in 1999-2003 for my Master's.

I dunno what your previous school experience is, but college was much tougher than my high school. I was used to sleeping through classes and got straight As and Bs. That went to 1 C and 1 F my first term in college, because the professors didn't have the obligations of a teacher in an American public high school. I had to develop good study habits in a hurry. It is MUCH easier to flunk out of college than it is to be expelled from high school.

-- The most important thing is choosing good friends. Good friends will help you to achieve your goals and keep you sane on the way. Bad ones will either keep you up all night in parties OR be grumpy and miserable and ill-adjusted and, again, screw things up. Find people who balance being serious with their schooling but also know how to let go of the stress. You're going to need to be able to have fun. I found mine through Chi Alpha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Alpha), and also through World Students Association.

-- Take advantage of every opportunity you have. You may not get it again. After you graduate from college comes the long grind of responsibility and work and job-hunting. College is one of the last times you'll really be able to learn for the sake of learning. So if a professor offers an archaeological expedition, or you get a chance to take a trip, go for it!

-- Find out about internship positions or co-operative education in your chosen field and get into them. Even a major like mine -- Computer Science -- does a bad job of preparing you for a future career. So look for any opportunity college give you to work in your chosen field, especially positions for which you get course credit AND get paid by an employer. That makes the resume oh so much more attractive.

-- Also make friends. Lots of friends. Many of these people will be lifelong, and those in your field may be professional contacts which will enhance your career. Try to be on good terms with your professors, because they'll be writing your reference letters when you're looking for an entry-level job.

-- If you get something wrong on a test and don't understand what went wrong, go straight to the teaching assistant or the professor and ASK. Sometimes the professor will decide a mistake was made in grading and give you points back. I've gained 5-20 points on a test that way. This is especially necessary if your professor or TA is from another country and doesn't speak your native language quite perfectly.

-- Remember that, now that you're 18 or above, intimate relationships with people below 18 are considered statutory rape at best. People don't always have their ages taped to their foreheads at parties, but you won't be forgiven or excused if you make a mistake in this area. You've crossed over the invisible line from adolescent to adult.

Likewise, if you make a legal mistake you'll now be tried and punished as an adult. That can include prison.

As an adult, you're going to be held to a different standard and expected to be much more responsible even though we won't let you drink for another couple of years :smallannoyed:. If you've been learning to be responsible in high school, you should be okay. If you've been immature and carried along by your parents ... the time to shape up is NOW. The sudden lack of slack for 'youthful mistakes' can be chilling.

Try to balance these two imperatives:

-- Never forget that unless you're on a 100% scholarship, someone is paying a heap of money to put you through college and it'll be wasted if you flunk out. So make your studies your highest priority. Also, since this is your last chance to really enjoy life before full-adulthood, don't do anything that will end that prematurely. Most particularly, DON'T get anyone pregnant or inflicted with an STD or drink yourself to death. There are a whole range of things which seem like fun and a good idea at the time, but have consequences that can last a life time. Try to maintain at least a 3.5 (out of 4.0) grade average. Any lower and you won't be able to go to graduate school if you want to. You may think you don't -- that's what *I* thought too, once. I had my mind changed for me by my employer. If you're going on for a doctorate, get a straight 4.0. Be aware that studying with the right kind of friends will improve your grades, and that there are tutoring options available for those who struggle. Use them all.

If you're a typical American student, this is your first real long-term chance to be away from the supervision of your parents. Demonstrate to them that you are worthy of respect, that you don't need your hand held. Because of this do all you can to get by without asking them for any help you absolutely don't need.

-- But even so, college IS the last opportunity for a lot of things. If you don't want to screw up, you also shouldn't want to be a drone who cares about nothing but studies and lives in the library. This is true even if you're a geek like me who loves the library. You may find, if you're more diligent than you have to be, that you've missed out on a lot of life and a lot of friends, and that now you're working and you no longer have the options you did back when you were young and single and in college.

I have some of both. I made mistakes whose results I still have to deal with today. But I also missed out on a lot. I wish you better luck than I at enjoying the good times while avoiding the pitfalls. I said some very scary things above, but as long as you're prudent, keep them in mind, you should be able to avoid 99% of it.

Single best piece of advice: Stay sober. Most of the problems above can be avoided with a clear head, and exams are easier without a hangover:smallamused:.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

RS14
2010-03-27, 08:44 AM
-- Remember that, now that you're 18 or above, intimate relationships with people below 18 are considered statutory rape at best. People don't always have their ages taped to their foreheads at parties, but you won't be forgiven or excused if you make a mistake in this area. You've crossed over the invisible line from adolescent to adult.

Nitpick: Age of Consent is 16 in Maryland, according to wikipedia.

SensFan
2010-03-27, 10:49 AM
May be different in US, but in Canada, age of consent has nothing to do with statutory rape. Age of consent is 16, but it's still illegal for people over 18 to have intimate relations with those 16-17.

JeffreyToTheMax
2010-03-27, 11:00 AM

I live in Maryland now, and that is indeed the age of consent, if I remember my 9th grade health class correctly. A few states do have it at 18. There's also a buffer of 3-4 years age difference in most states (4 in MD), so that an 18-year-old who sleeps with a 17-year-old can't get charged with anything.

That is, I'm pretty sure. It's not like I've ever really had to worry about this. Besides, how many girls under 18 can there be in college?

Winter_Wolf
2010-03-27, 11:10 AM
My advice: take your classes seriously. Just because the college has a party reputation doesn't mean you can't do well academically.

That said, get out and meet people, make friends, have some fun. Doing nothing but schoolwork will burn you out and make you miserable.

If you haven't decided what you want to major in, try to get that sorted out as quickly as possible. Given the structure of my university, for example, if you didn't know what you were doing by the end of freshman year, you were almost certain to have to add at least a semester to get all the prerequisite classes for the higher level classes that actually counted toward your major. Also, and I can't stress this enough, you want to keep your elective classes for subjects you enjoy. I switched majors and *poof!*, all of my electives disappeared because there was virtually no overlap between what I started out to do and what I ended up doing. Frankly, it was a huge waste of opportunity.

V for Victory
2010-03-27, 11:48 AM
If you haven't decided what you want to major in, try to get that sorted out as quickly as possible. Given the structure of my university, for example, if you didn't know what you were doing by the end of freshman year, you were almost certain to have to add at least a semester to get all the prerequisite classes for the higher level classes that actually counted toward your major. Also, and I can't stress this enough, you want to keep your elective classes for subjects you enjoy. I switched majors and *poof!*, all of my electives disappeared because there was virtually no overlap between what I started out to do and what I ended up doing. Frankly, it was a huge waste of opportunity.

I either want to dual major in psychology/economics with a minor in sociology or international business with a minor in russian

THAC0
2010-03-27, 11:49 AM
That is, I'm pretty sure. It's not like I've ever really had to worry about this. Besides, how many girls under 18 can there be in college?

A lot, between younger freshmen and local highschool students who show up at the parties.

Bottom line: look up your states laws.

Voldecanter
2010-03-27, 12:02 PM
May be different in US, but in Canada, age of consent has nothing to do with statutory rape. Age of consent is 16, but it's still illegal for people over 18 to have intimate relations with those 16-17.

Well , it depends on how older you are ....If you are 18 you can have someone as young as 15 just because of the closeness of age . If you are 19 , the minimum is 16 , 20 ...min is 17 .....but the other play grounders are right , just make sure that you don't accidentally get yourself into legal trouble .

MethosH
2010-03-27, 12:31 PM
I don't think there is universal advice for college since colleges tend to be very different from country to country.
I think the only things I can say is "Don't depend to much on teachers. One day you will end up with a terrible teacher and you will want to know how to study by yourself." and "Watch out for who you walk with. People you are friends with in college will have a great influence and who you will become and what contacts you will have after college." :smalltongue:

skywalker
2010-03-27, 12:44 PM
Look very carefully at the various requirements before you accept. I'm currently wasting my time with the numerous humanities courses my college requires (I'm a mathematician! This has no relevance to me!), and I'm exceedingly bitter about it.

What was it Heinlein said about specialization?

You're still technically a humanities major. No whining from you. Think about how horrible it is for the guys in agricultural majors like Animal Science.

I live in Maryland now, and that is indeed the age of consent, if I remember my 9th grade health class correctly. A few states do have it at 18. There's also a buffer of 3-4 years age difference in most states (4 in MD), so that an 18-year-old who sleeps with a 17-year-old can't get charged with anything.

It really does depend on the state. Keep in mind that "I got raped" is a really popular excuse for "I got drunk and had sex with a guy who turned out to be less attractive the next morning." Extremely popular. No, you being drunk too is not an excuse. Basically, don't get intimate while intoxicated, if you want to be truly safe. If you're the type of person who might not be able to make that decision once intoxicated, don't get drunk in the first place.

I have a friend whose favorite "go away" line freshman year was "I'm 16. *shows Driver's License.*" Yes, she really was 16. Also yes, high school girls will show up to college parties because they like to see you squirm. At worst, you get legal trouble out of the transaction. At best, your bros make fun of you for (weeks, months, years, life; depending on how long it takes someone else to do something more stupid). It's just not a good idea!

Well , it depends on how older you are ....If you are 18 you can have someone as young as 15 just because of the closeness of age . If you are 19 , the minimum is 16 , 20 ...min is 17 .....but the other play grounders are right , just make sure that you don't accidentally get yourself into legal trouble .

This is really, really, really not true in all states.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-27, 01:06 PM
*Spend as much time as is humanly possible involved in uni events for the first week(s) before the courses start. Talk to as many people as possible, everyone has a clean slate and I recommender taking advantage of it.

*Go to lectures, take notes (or at least stay awake). Missing them once in a blue moon is fine, but missing that 9am lecture every week because you don't want to get up will bite you in the ass. Hard.

***Talk to your tutors/other staff if you're having problems with anything. If you don't they'll assume this is all coming out of the blue/is an excuse, and there'll be very little they can do.
Personal experience: I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with making a presentation in front of everyone on the course. I chose to keep this problem to myself, and instead just didn't turn up. This was idiotic, as it turns out this is a common problem and people are allowed to present in private for two tutors. Had I said something I would have known this, and would not now be paying to resit the module.

RS14
2010-03-27, 01:20 PM
What was it Heinlein said about specialization?

You're still technically a humanities major. No whining from you. Think about how horrible it is for the guys in agricultural majors like Animal Science.

Heinlein has a distressing and unreasonable affection for humanity. I am my own person with my own goals, and I have yet to see it persuasively argued that I should care particularly about the survival of the human race.
Specialization is only dangerous in that specialization to the detriment of other skills decreases fitness in certain cases, e.g. survival situations.

Also, it is college policy that philosophy courses such as "Logic" don't count for humanities credit. There does not seem to be a particular rule to this.

And yes, I feel great sympathy for everyone who has to deal with this nonsense. Even a bit of sympathy for humanities majors stuck taking math courses that aren't relevant to them.

Force
2010-03-27, 01:35 PM
Like everyone else has said, don't miss class. If you're in a science major and you have labs, DO NOT miss your labs even if you have to get up at 5 AM for them. Where I go to school, anyway, missing one lab = missing 60 points minimum = probably drop one letter grade. Also, read the book.

Get to know your professors. I sit up front in every class I'm in, say hi to them as they walk in, and (because I'm a brown-noser) whenever I bake something I always bring something along for them. Even in classes of over 100 people I have instant name recognition whenever I walk in their office door, and they like me. Same with your adviser. Both of these people can make or break your college career if they so choose, so make them love you.

This relates to the above: participate in class! Read the book so you know what's going to be discussed and, if you know the answer, respond to any audience participation the professor does. Professors are people who love a subject so much that they spent 8+ years of their lives studying intensely about it, then got out of school, researched it, and taught it. If you demonstrate that you have as much interest as they do you will find yourself learning a LOT and doing very well.

Study on weekends. Yeah, I know it sucks, but people who party Friday night, don't get up until 2PM Saturday and go right back to partying and then repeat Sunday are screwed. Set aside at least enough time to read the chapters in the books you've been assigned. Also, after class, sit down and run through your notes a few times; you'll be amazed how much your recall will improve in the future.

If you can, make friends who live off-campus. Other than the benefit of friendships, if your dorm roommate and you have a disagreement and you need somewhere else to sleep in order to cool off, you have people you can call. I live off-campus myself and have been asked for this by others before.

Nohwl
2010-03-27, 02:18 PM
don't skip every class to spend 12 hours every day playing video games.

snoopy13a
2010-03-27, 03:45 PM

Take humanities courses that place an emphasis on communication skills such as writing. For example, if you end up being an actuary, you may need to submit written reports. If you go into academica, you may need to write grants and you'll need to teach classes. This involves both written and verbal communication skills. Additionally, excellent written and verbal communication skills will separate you from your peers and create earlier promotion opportunites.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-27, 08:34 PM
There are two sides to one coin here: on the other hand, what you do there and what marks you get actually does matter, especially if you plan on going to graduate school or into very competitive professions (e.g. law, medicine, engineering, etc). On the other - it's the last chance you have in your life where you have no responsibility and are free to do pretty much whatever you want.

And unless you're a shut-in nerd who actually doesn't like socializing and doing random stupid stuff, balancing the two will probably be hard. Try to figure it out sooner rather than later. For example, no matter what, I always set away my Sundays and Mondays (Mondays because class ends at 12:30 and I have the rest of the day off) to study. And I stick to it, unforeseen emergencies (like girlfriend broke a nail and wants you to come over and kiss it) notwithstanding.

Some random advice in point form:

- Party. It's fun. Just know your limit and don't binge drink. Basically, anytime you're puking, you're drinking too much.

- Good study habits. They're important. Develop them. Maybe ask people for help. Even brilliant people need to adjust, college taps different aspects of brains, and just because you have a photographic memory, doesn't mean you'll be good at analyzing stuff, and vice-versa.

- Go out and socialize. If you're spending more than one night in a row at home (for reasons other than studying) and you're not super-introverted by nature, you're not socializing enough. Whatever you may think, there are people that you will like, more likely than not you just haven't met them yet.

- Cook if you can. Rez/cafeteria food sucks, is expensive and isn't good for you. Plus it actually does impress the, uhm, ladies :smallredface:

- Know when you can and when you can't slack off or do stupid crap. E.g. if you really, really have to go on a drinking binge, don't do it when the finals are happening.

- Professors will usually do anything to help you. As long as you're interested in their subject, or at least it seems like you are. One way to show it is to get to know them and to ask questions in or after class. Even if you don't need their help, getting to know them might help you when grading time comes, especially if you're graded on a curve. No, you probably won't get a better mark then someone else who does much better work than you do, but it may be enough to move the curve one or two people in your favour.

- Oh yeah, don't sleep with your (male) friends' sisters. They (friends, not sisters) can and will get mad at you.

skywalker
2010-03-27, 11:08 PM
Heinlein has a distressing and unreasonable affection for humanity. I am my own person with my own goals, and I have yet to see it persuasively argued that I should care particularly about the survival of the human race.
Specialization is only dangerous in that specialization to the detriment of other skills decreases fitness in certain cases, e.g. survival situations.

I would think an interest in being your own person would lead to less specialization (and therefore less dependence on others).

Also, it is college policy that philosophy courses such as "Logic" don't count for humanities credit. There does not seem to be a particular rule to this.

Well that's just dumb.

And yes, I feel great sympathy for everyone who has to deal with this nonsense. Even a bit of sympathy for humanities majors stuck taking math courses that aren't relevant to them.

This is a holdover from when college was supposed to give you an education. No, we don't do a good job of it these days, but in theory those humanities you're taking are having an impact on how you view the world and solve problems. If you didn't have to take those, it would be called "Trade School," not "University" or "College."

There are two sides to one coin here: on the other hand, what you do there and what marks you get actually does matter, especially if you plan on going to graduate school or into very competitive professions (e.g. law, medicine, engineering, etc). On the other - it's the last chance you have in your life where you have no responsibility and are free to do pretty much whatever you want.

And unless you're a shut-in nerd who actually doesn't like socializing and doing random stupid stuff, balancing the two will probably be hard. Try to figure it out sooner rather than later. For example, no matter what, I always set away my Sundays and Mondays (Mondays because class ends at 12:30 and I have the rest of the day off) to study. And I stick to it, unforeseen emergencies (like girlfriend broke a nail and wants you to come over and kiss it) notwithstanding.

Some random advice in point form:

- Party. It's fun. Just know your limit and don't binge drink. Basically, anytime you're puking, you're drinking too much.

- Good study habits. They're important. Develop them. Maybe ask people for help. Even brilliant people need to adjust, college taps different aspects of brains, and just because you have a photographic memory, doesn't mean you'll be good at analyzing stuff, and vice-versa.

- Go out and socialize. If you're spending more than one night in a row at home (for reasons other than studying) and you're not super-introverted by nature, you're not socializing enough. Whatever you may think, there are people that you will like, more likely than not you just haven't met them yet.

- Cook if you can. Rez/cafeteria food sucks, is expensive and isn't good for you. Plus it actually does impress the, uhm, ladies :smallredface:

- Know when you can and when you can't slack off or do stupid crap. E.g. if you really, really have to go on a drinking binge, don't do it when the finals are happening.

- Professors will usually do anything to help you. As long as you're interested in their subject, or at least it seems like you are. One way to show it is to get to know them and to ask questions in or after class. Even if you don't need their help, getting to know them might help you when grading time comes, especially if you're graded on a curve. No, you probably won't get a better mark then someone else who does much better work than you do, but it may be enough to move the curve one or two people in your favour.

- Oh yeah, don't sleep with your (male) friends' sisters. They (friends, not sisters) can and will get mad at you.

I love your advice so, so much. "Don't binge drink during Finals." Such good advice.

On this note, the "MIT Quote" from earlier is in some ways accurate. If you make a habit of testing your limits, you will be amazed by how much you can get done. Studying, partying, socializing, dates, clubs, etc, etc, etc. Eating healthy and not abusing your body too much can really help with this.

thubby
2010-03-27, 11:33 PM
nail down everything you aren't willing to lose. I've seen full sized refrigerators stolen, an xbox is trivial by comparison.

Serpentine
2010-03-27, 11:45 PM
Man, the US system is weird...
In Australia (or at least at my uni), you pick a degree. You get a big list of classes that come under that degree. You are required to do so many 100 level units, and so many 300 level units (iirc, they got rid of 200 level units in my first couple of years). Many units, especially the 300 level ones, have a specific requirement to be able to do them (kinda like prestige classes :smallamused:). Sometimes it's just "so many credit points in a particular set of units" (e.g. "HIST" or "BIOL"), sometimes it's one or more specific units. If you don't have the requirement, you can submit to the Head of School for an exception.
You're meant to choose a major (don't think we really have minors), but I don't think it matters so much here. I didn't really commit to one until near the end of my degree. That relates to where I screwed up, too: I didn't check the requirements for the later units I wanted to do. Specifically, there are a limited number of Zoology units. One earlier ZOOL unit will be a requirement for several later ZOOL units. Because I didn't take a particular early unit (Invertebrate Zoology, I think), I didn't have access to enough later ZOOL units to major in Zoology. I ended up putting down "animal science" (cuz I had a whole stack of Ecology and Biology and the like), but I think they ignored me, what with that not existing and all. It's pretty much just an extra note on your degree, anyway (mine says History, instead).
Also, does the US have double or combined degrees?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-27, 11:49 PM
Man, the US system is weird...
In Australia (or at least at my uni), you pick a degree. You get a big list of classes that come under that degree. You are required to do so many 100 level units, and so many 300 level units (iirc, they got rid of 200 level units in my first couple of years). Many units, especially the 300 level ones, have a specific requirement to be able to do them (kinda like prestige classes :smallamused:). Sometimes it's just "so many credit points in a particular set of units" (e.g. "HIST" or "BIOL"), sometimes it's one or more specific units. If you don't have the requirement, you can submit to the Head of School for an exception.
You're meant to choose a major (don't think we really have minors), but I don't think it matters so much here. I didn't really commit to one until near the end of my degree. That relates to where I screwed up, too: I didn't check the requirements for the later units I wanted to do. Specifically, there are a limited number of Zoology units. One earlier ZOOL unit will be a requirement for several later ZOOL units. Because I didn't take a particular early unit (Invertebrate Zoology, I think), I didn't have access to enough later ZOOL units to major in Zoology. I ended up putting down "animal science" (cuz I had a whole stack of Ecology and Biology and the like), but I think they ignored me, what with that not existing and all. It's pretty much just an extra note on your degree, anyway (mine says History, instead).
Also, does the US have double or combined degrees?

There are double (and triple) majors. They don't even have to be closely related. I majored in Radio Communications and Chinese History. You can also add minors unto your plate. Though the work load is pretty heavy.

Serpentine
2010-03-28, 12:03 AM
So is the US major/minor system more like our degree system, then?
If it helps: I have a double degree, a Bachelor of Arts and Science. Arts was one School, Science was an entirely different one (I say "was", they were combined into the one department a year or two ago. I think it's incredibly stupid - they each work completely differently - but oh well). I majored in History in Arts, and "animal science" in Science (as I mentioned, I would've had a major in Zoology if I hadn't screwed up).
Within the Arts degree, I did units from History (obviously), Ancient History, Ancient Literature, Archaeology, Gender Studies, and Religion (the one unit I failed - I hated the way it was set up). I could also have done such units as Theatre, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, Linguistics, Languages, Politics, and Literature, but chose not to, or didn't have the prerequisites.
Within the Science degree, I did units from Zoology (obviously), Ecology, Cladistics, Ecosystem Management, Marine Biology, Evolution, Statistics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Biology. I could also have done such units as Archaeology, Psychology, Agriculture, Physics, IT, and Genetics, but chose not to, didn't have the prerequisites, or did it as part of Arts (a few overlap the schools).
There is a minimum number of credit points required at each level before you can graduate with your degree, but you can do more if you want.
Because I had high enough marks and enough units in History, Ancient History, and Ancient Literature, and permission from the Head of School, I'm doing Honours in History (more Ancient History, but whatever).

So, what would a US (or UK, or wherever else) equivalent look like?

Innis Cabal
2010-03-28, 12:57 AM
I beleive it varies by school, I know the state school I went to wasn't the same as the college I went to for the majority of my time studying. I've been out of school for a while as well, so its possibly changed.

We had required classes, all at a fairly low level, that we had to take to graduate, mostly dictated by the major we selected. You needed a number of credit hours -and- a certain grade point average to get into the College of X (X being your intended field of study for your major).

V for Victory
2010-03-28, 09:09 AM
The way frostburg does it is based on hours. You need X amount of hours from a predefined list of courses and X amount of hours of classes outside of said list

Hazkali
2010-03-28, 10:34 AM
The system at my Uni seems a lot easier. Most people do a specific degree course, with set modules they have to take each year, and maybe a selection of optional ones. Modules have prerequisites (either A-levels for year 1 modules, or modules from previous years) or corequisite modules, but if you're on a set course you'll fulfill them as a matter of course. All modules last the whole year and generally exams are only at the end of the year.

Even if you're on the most flexible courses (Combined Arts or Natural Sciences, I'm on the latter) you still have a fair amount of restriction, especially if you want to actually come out with something useful or do an MSci.

Syka
2010-03-28, 10:50 AM
Serp, it sounds pretty similar. For any given major, you are given a list of courses you have to take. Generally in the 1000 and 2000 level courses ('freshman' and 'sophomore' years, respectively, although the distinction is not that big) it's the general stuff. You have to take so many math, science, history, etc. credits and get to choose from a list. We go by credits. Most classes are 3 credit hours, but can vary between 1-6. Once you get into the 3000 and 4000 level courses, it's generally just your major and, while there are still some courses you HAVE to take, but you have freedom within the major.

I wanted a minor in Psychology but since it was such a huge major at my university, they didn't offer a minor and wouldn't let me make one. So I just had all my electives be psychology and they let me call it a 'concentration'. It's not official, but *shrug*.

As for advice...go to class, and keep watch for signs of depression (in you or others). Depression is a huge issue among college students, and learning the warning signs can be helpful. One thing a lot of universities and colleges offer is free counseling services for students. It might take a few tries to find a good therapist, but they do exist and everything is confidential.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-28, 11:37 AM
Definitely learn how to cook some basic foods, and find others who do too! The dining halls are usually super-expensive and not too good (taste- and health-wise). Find a few people in your dormitory hall and make some sort of cooking-deal thing. If you're lucky, you'll only have to cook dinner once a week, but will be fed every night.

THAC0
2010-03-28, 12:43 PM
So, what would a US (or UK, or wherever else) equivalent look like?

My program was a little different because it was super specialized, due to the fact that I was basically earning two different degrees for one (music and education). So I had a list of specific courses for my major that I had to take, with very little choice. However, everyone in the school was require to take general education courses - two each in Mathematics, Arts, Liberal Arts, Science, Physical Activity, etc. Sometimes these could overlap with your required courses, but frequently were not allowed to, in order to make you a more well-rounded person.

My husband graduated with two majors and a minor. His programs were much more relaxed than mine - he had to have X number of credits in certain areas to earn the degree is all. Plus the general education, of course.

Nefarion Xid
2010-03-28, 03:44 PM
Speaking as someone who will be teaching at a university soon and who already has friends who do...

1. Don't text in class. You think you're slick enough to get away with it, but you're not. Your instructor sees you and takes it personally whether or not they say anything about it.

2. Take a foreign language you're not familiar with, especially if you took Spanish in high school. Don't take it at the college level just because you think it'll be easy - it will be. Why? Most people take Spanish just to get the credit. You will meet more interesting people taking any other language and you'll have better instructors too.

3. Take summer classes. The pace is different and it's a great way to get through boring classes like math and poli sci (no offense math and poli sci majors).

4. Live in a dorm the first 2 years. While these people may seem annoying, they're actually a security net of forced socialization that can save you from the very real danger of feeling isolated and depressed.

5. Work on your Portfolio of Manliness. In addition to learning how to order manly drinks, smoke cigars and other cliches you'll want to learn how to prepare a meal, speak a foreign language at the conversational level, and just generally have a working knowledge of art, philosophy, literature, history, music and politics. This means turning off the TV and video game console because in 5 years time no one will care about your encyclopedic knowledge of sports trivia, your ability to quote Family Guy or your leet Halo/Guitar Hero/Modern Warfare skillz. Women just aren't that interested in a guy who prefers to watch ESPN and play video games. You don't have to take them to the opera and translate it for them... but anything is more attractive than watching sports and drinking beer.

Try unplugging your TV when it's not in use. You'll be surprised at how little you actually want to get up and plug it back in the next time you're bored.

5b. Also learn how to drink real beer. Anything with "Lite" in the name is not a real beer.

Serpentine
2010-03-28, 08:57 PM
Oh, thought of one my 1st year archaeology lecturer remarked upon once: the lecturers can see you. They know what you're doing. Don't think that just because they're up the front and you're in a crowd and maybe it's a bit dark doesn't meen they can't see you.

Kneenibble
2010-03-28, 09:02 PM
Fascinating thread full of truth.

My little supplement to the body of advice here: stave off getting addicted to caffeine as much as possible. It's a **** rope.

skywalker
2010-03-28, 10:22 PM
5. Work on your Portfolio of Manliness. In addition to learning how to order manly drinks, smoke cigars and other cliches you'll want to learn how to prepare a meal, speak a foreign language at the conversational level, and just generally have a working knowledge of art, philosophy, literature, history, music and politics. This means turning off the TV and video game console because in 5 years time no one will care about your encyclopedic knowledge of sports trivia, your ability to quote Family Guy or your leet Halo/Guitar Hero/Modern Warfare skillz. Women just aren't that interested in a guy who prefers to watch ESPN and play video games. You don't have to take them to the opera and translate it for them... but anything is more attractive than watching sports and drinking beer.

SOME women enjoy watching sports and drinking beer. Most of them have probably cultivated this to make them more attractive to the large number of males who enjoy these two things, and also are going to make a pretty decent paycheck someday.

Yes, I go to a large school in the South. :smallsigh:

Try unplugging your TV when it's not in use. You'll be surprised at how little you actually want to get up and plug it back in the next time you're bored.

This is very, very true.

5b. Also learn how to drink real beer. Anything with "Lite" in the name is not a real beer.

Learn how to drink things with "Lite" in the name. This is far harder for me than drinking real beer.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-29, 01:33 AM
SOME women enjoy watching sports and drinking beer. Most of them have probably cultivated this to make them more attractive to the large number of males who enjoy these two things, and also are going to make a pretty decent paycheck someday.

Yes, I go to a large school in the South. :smallsigh:

Heh. Easily half of women I know genuinely like either sports or beer. About a quarter like both. Then there's puckbunnies who pick up hockey knowledge along the way as well.

Although living in Canada probably has something to do with it...

pendell
2010-03-29, 02:14 PM
Fun fact: No one may care about Halo, but video game skills do translate well to other video games.

My wife specifically married me because she detested sports and I was not a sports geek. I got her hooked on the Sims and on Civilization IV. Now we're a video gaming family and quite happy that way :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

skywalker
2010-03-29, 02:17 PM
Heh. Easily half of women I know genuinely like either sports or beer. About a quarter like both. Then there's puckbunnies who pick up hockey knowledge along the way as well.

Canada is so very awesome.

If only it weren't so cold...

Nefarion Xid
2010-03-29, 05:36 PM
Fun fact: No one may care about Halo, but video game skills do translate well to other video games.

My wife specifically married me because she detested sports and I was not a sports geek. I got her hooked on the Sims and on Civilization IV. Now we're a video gaming family and quite happy that way :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

:smallbiggrin:
My girlfriend is a big fan of RPGs and strategy games. All I'm saying is if you're in college and you find yourself playing an FPS or guitar hero just to get better at the game... it's time to go do something for fun.

Now, while I'm sure there are plenty of cute girls who could kick my butt at Halo, I'm pretty certain I won't meet any of them sitting at home and playing X-Box Live.

French? Now a French class is a good way to meet women...

Syka
2010-03-29, 06:19 PM
:smallbiggrin:
My girlfriend is a big fan of RPGs and strategy games. All I'm saying is if you're in college and you find yourself playing an FPS or guitar hero just to get better at the game... it's time to go do something for fun.

Now, while I'm sure there are plenty of cute girls who could kick my butt at Halo, I'm pretty certain I won't meet any of them sitting at home and playing X-Box Live.

French? Now a French class is a good way to meet women...

Almost every language class I have been in has had more women than men. Due to my major, it was almost all translation courses and we definitely outnumbered the guys. The same went for pyschology and most non-hard science and math courses I saw.

My tip for meeting potential SOs in college is to skip the bar scene (fun but rarely have I seen it result in a relationship) and join campus organizations and get to know people in your classes.

Nomrom
2010-03-29, 09:19 PM
The advice I have has mostly been given, but just remember that college is not high school. It will require actual effort, and you can't just sleep your way through class. My first semester was abysmal cuz I never learned how to study. I didn't apply myself and bombed all my classes because of it. Now that I actually have learned how to study and practice the material, my grades have increased dramatically.

Also, alcohol is not required to have an enjoyable college experience.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-29, 09:35 PM
Canada is so very awesome.

If only it weren't so cold...
Vancouver is so very awesome :tongue:
It was +15 in February and around +12ish now (although it was raining most of today while February was sunny).

Sir, I challenge you to a drinking duel for that! :smile:

My tip for meeting potential SOs in college is to skip the bar scene (fun but rarely have I seen it result in a relationship) and join campus organizations and get to know people in your classes.
My take on this: for a guy, take upper-level psychology courses that aren't lectures. Or intro language courses. There were 10 dudes and 20 girls in my French 105 course I took the first year. Ironically, the ratio was around 28:5 in high school, so it was a downgrade. There is all of two other dudes and 12 girls in one of my psych research labs. About 7 of the girls, including the TA, are hot and 4 of those, including the TA, are also very nice. Too bad the TA has a boyfriend.. :smallfrown:
For a girl - take whatever it is manly men are taking. Like football :biggrin:

V for Victory
2010-03-29, 09:38 PM
That's good to hear because I hate alchohol and drugs in my system. In other peoples systems they are hilarious though.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-29, 09:39 PM
That's good to hear because I hate alchohol and drugs in my system. In other peoples systems they are hilarious though.
Not really. I hate to be the only sober idiot at a party while everyone else is having fun.

V for Victory
2010-03-29, 09:42 PM
Not really. I hate to be the only sober idiot at a party while everyone else is having fun.

To each his own. But I hate stuff that messes with my head.

Nomrom
2010-03-29, 10:44 PM
Drunk people are fun to make fun of.

skywalker
2010-03-30, 01:44 AM

If alcohol is required to have fun, that's bad, no matter where you are.

But, I'm with DJA. It will make many experiences more enjoyable.

To each his own. But I hate stuff that messes with my head.

A wise man once said ".04 is a fun place to be..."

Serpentine
2010-03-30, 01:46 AM
I find it more awkward to be the only nonsober one...
I imagine.
<.<
>.>
:smalltongue:

Bob_the_Mighty
2010-03-30, 04:36 AM
Alright, well, I'm only in my first year of College, but I've already learned a few things (the hard way...)

1. I know it's been said, but it can't be stressed enough. GO TO CLASS. Trust me, it's really, REALLY easy to talk yourself out of going to class and just sleep in, but it'll screw you hard.

2. Learn how to take notes. This doesn't seem all that important, but a lot of professors will put questions on tests that aren't covered in the text book and are only discussed during exams. Being able to go back over what was said is extremely useful.

3. Learn how to study now, before you start college. I never learned to study in high school. I didn't need to, because I never needed to study and it was pretty easy to coast through it. This generally isn't the case for most college courses.

4. Maintain a regular sleep schedule. Even if you don't have class til some time in the afternoon, I reccomend getting up at roughly the same time every day, or at least not sleeping a whole lot later on days when you have late classes. Without a regular sleep schedule it's easy to stay up too late and feel like a zombie the next morning. Then, of course, you take a nap some time in the afternoon and end up sleeping so much you aren't tired by the time you should be in bed that night. So, you end up staying up too late again and so on and so forth. This'll bite you in the ass if you don't do it. Trust me, I STILL don't have this one down, I'm typing this at almost 5 AM and I have class in about 4 hours.

5. Learn where to eat. I spent the first couple weeks walking a decent distance to eat, only to find out there was a great dining hall in the commons building of the towers I live in.

6. Learn how to manage your time. It's exremely tempting to grab a book or pick up a controller and kill a few hours reading/gaming that you really should've spent studying.

I think I've covered a lot of the basics here. Trust me, 100% of what I've posted, no matter how trivial it may seem, will help you immensely.