PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Test Racials

Jane_Smith
2010-03-27, 10:56 AM
On a scale 1 to 10, what would you rate the balance of this set of racial traits for a nomadic, light/frail-boned, but disease/poison resistant people that have had to endure hardships for nearly 1,000 years? (Note: They live for around 400-500 years old - if they live that long, and reach maturity as humans.)

The main objective was, I wanted a fast, light, nimble race, very wise and alert to its surroundings from experience and cultural influence and pure nessicity, yet does not have any actual true "Perceptive" bonuses in their blood - such as low-light vision or darkvision. These people are survivors, and their light bones and thin frames make some beleive they once had wings, such as avians/raptorians, but they do not possess any form of flight. They still endure, however.

Please keep in mind, that this is meant to match the overall power level/potency of pathfinder races. I was aiming for dwarf-ish level.

~~~Test Racial Traits

- +2 Dexerity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution. Light footed, quick, nimble, and paranoid to a fault, this race has had to survive threw more dangers then any other can claim, and it has forced them to become quick to respond and perceptive in all acts.

- Medium Sized Humanoid (???) - I do not plan to reveil their racial type here, but they are normal humanoids.

- Average Land Speed: 30 ft.

- Endurance as a bonus feat. While their frail bones make them more susceptable to physical damage, they are not a 'weak' race by any meaning of the word. This species has lasted in some of the most hostile enviroments in the world, and have been forced to flourish or die. This race has, threw years of training itself and its young, learned to sustain forced marchs, holding their breathe, and all that good basic survival stuff. Not to mention many wear their armor while they sleep - most only keep what they can carry. It is very, very, rare to find one with heavy armor/tower shields.

- Nomadic Blood (Ex): +2 racial bonus to Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), and Survival checks. These skills are always class skills for all members of this race.

- Terrain Mastery (Ex): This species gains a +2 bonus to saving throws and constitution checks against natural hazards, such as high altitudes, cold weather, storms, hot weather, sandstorms, etc.

- Jury-rig (Ex): This species has a knack for making use of discarded objects and relics from other species and fallen cultures (not to mention getting past traps from guarded 'trash', -cough-). They gain a +2 racial bonus on any Craft checks made to repair a already constructed object, or to augment it in some way, but not to actually make the object from scratch. They also gain a +2 bonus on Use Magic Device checks.

- Pure Blood (Ex): +2 racial bonus to saving throws against Disease and Poison effects.

- Languages: Racial and Common. Bonus: Any.

sigurd
2010-03-27, 12:27 PM
The race is fine but you shouldn't warp the rules.

I'd remove the take 10 option from the description.
Either they have the skill or not. If they can substitute a different stat you are hiding a second feat in the skill section (possibly 3). It doesn't make sense that they can substitute Dex for strength in swim. Climb, and swim are skills as written (Str). Jump is a part of Acrobatics, also a strength skill.

Without that I find it decent.

Sigurd

Jane_Smith
2010-03-27, 02:38 PM
Ah, I forgot about jump being put into acrobatics...

I just ripped out the bonuses/etc to jump/swim/etc entirely, and replaced it with another idea I had - the race will, commonly, use the discarded objects of other races, and are often seen as 'treasure seekers', plundering ruins and the like to find treasures and magic for their people/families. In essence the entire race are half-way in a sense adventurers anyway... so the occupation comes naturally to them. It just seems to me that they would be adept at repairing/repurposing other peoples technology and magic for their own uses.

Dante & Vergil
2010-03-31, 05:08 PM
Cool racial flavor for something Zendikar-esque.:smallcool: