PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the guitar players in the playground

Linkavitch
2010-03-27, 11:59 AM
So, I have this acoustic guitar I got a few years ago, and recently decided that the action was too high (about a cm high at the 12th fret). I have the key I need and I know how to adjust it, what I need is which way. I seem to have lost the instruction manuel for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-27, 02:27 PM
Depending on how expensive it is, get it worked on at a shop. It'll set ya back $75 or so, but I've always found it's worth it.

Capt Spanner
2010-03-27, 06:10 PM
It depends on the model of the guitar. With some it's really easy, with others it's not. Take it to a shop and they might do it for free (it might be a couple of turns of a screwdriver) or it might involve very fiddly work with a file, in which case you'll probably have to pay for it.

Thursday
2010-03-30, 03:28 PM
That is high.

Yeah, but if its just a case of taking the saddle out and filing it down, then they're really cheap.. provided you're ok re-stringing a guitar, which I expect you are, then just get a few (in case you mess up) and some sandpaper.
Takes a few minutes with a plastic (or faux ivory) one. If I can do it, (and my guitar survived ok!) then It can't be that hard.

EDIT: Ignore me for reading failure! if a key is involved then its not this method. Going back to my fun now.

valadil
2010-03-30, 04:15 PM
Getting a guitar set up is well worth the $75. I brought one of mine in for a similar action adjustment and they found I had a warped truss rod. It plays so much better now that that's fixed.