PDA

View Full Version : Well.. that sucks.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-27, 07:13 PM
So.. My family and I own an Xbox.. which I paid 1/3 for about 2 years ago. We've enjoyed it pretty steadily. At first.. there was a problem. The hard drive didn't work, so we got a new one and that was pretty happy. Since then we've played a lot.. and now...its pulled two red rings. This means its over heated. So we left it turned off and came back an hour later... same thing happens. We dust it, vacuum it, clean it.. etc... 6 hours later... still happened.. in a shorter amount of time. Now we can't eject the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 disc. This probably means the internal cooling system has failed or died. Now we're on the line with tech support. Tonight sucks -__-. I was hoping to get a game or two in after mowing the lawn and doing all other kinds of yardwork all day.

Just thought I'd share my frustration with you all. If the two flashing red lights (top left, bottom left) happens to you, eject the disc >.< and then go to the microsoft site.
-Wrath

RS14
2010-03-27, 07:17 PM
As to getting your disk out,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906935

See solution 3.

Thajocoth
2010-03-27, 07:33 PM
I've never gotten a red ring myself, but that'd be pretty frustrating. Good luck with it. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing you can do for a red ring is to send it in to Microsoft. A red ring is a major internal error of some sort that needs to be repaired. If you've got a hard drive or memory cards or anything like that, pop those off the system before sending it in (in addition to using the above to get your game out of it).

EndlessWrath
2010-03-27, 07:40 PM
I've never gotten a red ring myself, but that'd be pretty frustrating. Good luck with it. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing you can do for a red ring is to send it in to Microsoft. A red ring is a major internal error of some sort that needs to be repaired. If you've got a hard drive or memory cards or anything like that, pop those off the system before sending it in (in addition to using the above to get your game out of it).

Well. We looked it up. if it happens once or twice.. the first thing you do (for 2 flashing red ring quarters...) is note its overheated. so you let it cool down, move it to a more open location.. stand it horizontally... and if that doesn't work.. clean it and etc.

We did that. Its bad. Now we're sending it to microsoft.

EDIT: Thanks again for the info on removing the disc.
-Wrath

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-27, 08:22 PM
Happened to me once; I had gotten an Xbox from one of my friends who said if I could fix it, I could keep it. There's a guide somewhere on HowTo or something like that and it involves opening up and replacing some parts in the Xbox so if you're warranty's still there, it would be easier to send it in. Anyway, I followed the guide and it worked out great, never overheated again. However, I had to get a new one shortly after due to other problems, such as messed up CD drive and processor

EndlessWrath
2010-03-28, 10:39 PM
I wish i could, I don't think its still under warranty.. but... Its just the general consensus from the family not to do that. So I'm not allowed to open it up >.> and fix it.
-Wrath

arguskos
2010-03-28, 10:43 PM
I wish i could, I don't think its still under warranty.. but... Its just the general consensus from the family not to do that. So I'm not allowed to open it up >.> and fix it.
-Wrath
...it's not under warranty... but you're not allowed to, I dunno, FIX THE BROKEN THING?? That's like saying "oh no, the vacuum broke and isn't under warranty. Even though I could fix it with this easy guide I have right here, I'll just throw it out and buy a new one." Which is crazy-talk. That sucks dude.

PersonMan
2010-03-28, 11:10 PM
...it's not under warranty... but you're not allowed to, I dunno, FIX THE BROKEN THING?? That's like saying "oh no, the vacuum broke and isn't under warranty. Even though I could fix it with this easy guide I have right here, I'll just throw it out and buy a new one." Which is crazy-talk. That sucks dude.

This is different. It's an electronic device. It might explode or break even more or divide by zero if you open it up to try and fix it.

They aren't machines, these things. Always overpay hire some tech support person or the like to do that for you. And stand 100 feet away.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:11 PM
This is different. It's an electronic device. It might explode or break even more or divide by zero if you open it up to try and fix it.

They aren't machines, these things. Always overpay hire some tech support person or the like to do that for you. And stand 100 feet away.
I can feel the sarcasm from here. :smalltongue:

PersonMan
2010-03-28, 11:12 PM

I should hope so.

Although I have no idea how to fix a computer, I've just found this to be true.

Coidzor
2010-03-28, 11:12 PM
This reminds me. I should make sure my bro ges the disk out before he mails in his xbox to get the red ring of permadeath taken care of.

He got the CPU death error as far as we can tell.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:30 PM

It's running down my body like a sweat drop.

Gross.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:32 PM
Gross.
What he said. Also, we need our own Random Banter thread, you and I. :smalltongue: Course, that'd be frowned upon by the authorities in these here parts, but still.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:34 PM
Also, we need our own Random Banter thread, you and I. :smalltongue: Course, that'd be frowned upon by the authorities in these here parts, but still.

Agreed. :smallcool: It would be worth it for the whole two hours minutes it would last.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:36 PM
Agreed. :smallcool: It would be worth it for the whole two hours minutes it would last.
Hahaha! Yeah... it'd get locked faster than someone can say go back to your fun.

Also, on topic (since Temotei and I are MASTERS of thread derail), uh, Xbox 360s die a lot, mirite? :smallwink: Seriously, Wrath, dude, you need to talk thy folks into letting you just fix the damn thing. It's easier than grappling with Microsoft and cheaper than buying a new one.

Krade
2010-03-29, 01:01 AM
A legitimate 'last option' strategy if it's not under warranty is to buy a new/used Arcade console and put your old hard drive into it. They cost $200 new. Maybe $150 used. It could end up being cheaper (not to mention faster) then sending it in somewhere to get it fixed. Especially if you have to pay shipping.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-29, 02:30 AM
Hahaha! Yeah... it'd get locked faster than someone can say go back to your fun.

Also, on topic (since Temotei and I are MASTERS of thread derail), uh, Xbox 360s die a lot, mirite? :smallwink: Seriously, Wrath, dude, you need to talk thy folks into letting you just fix the damn thing. It's easier than grappling with Microsoft and cheaper than buying a new one.

360's have a few problems. Its a phenomenal system but has a terrible internal cooling system (among a few other things)

The main thing is this. We're not sure if its still under warranty or not. Frankly.. I don't think it is. We've had it too long. buuuut...theres a chance. and My dad would rather have the microsoft guys fix it and be done with it.. than me tinker with it.. mess it up (because I'm just bad luck -__- ) and then send it in anyways..only this time in deeper problems.

-Wrath