PDA

View Full Version : Football in the Playground

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-27, 07:35 PM
Well, it's not Soccer, but American Football

Just had to start a post after a somewhat amazing game I played today with my friends.

So to all players (highschool, college, or NFL (would be nice to meet an NFL player here), or just in the park with your friends) or just fans. What are do you love about the sport? What are you're vital statistics if you care to post? Or just some awesome moment you've had or something?

My statistics are:
Position: WR(technically)/CB
Number: 24
League: Highschool/Park
40: 4.85
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 122lbs

Too small, I know, but good enough?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-03-27, 08:42 PM
I played Junior Football in Grade Eight. I was, and frankly am, built for it. 'Course, it was Junior Football, and I was a good deal overweight, so of the two games we played I only got to play in the latter, because it was against older kids.

Plus my head is big so we had to snag one of the Senior team's helmets, and even then it was tight.

I got myself a hairline fracture during practise, because one of my much shorter classmates decided, as he told me later, "if the guy your against is bigger than you you're supposed to ram your helmet into their gut", and I happened to have my arm in the way at the time.

Didn't really like it.

Temotei
2010-03-27, 08:45 PM
"if the guy your against is bigger than you you're supposed to ram your helmet into their gut"

I'd be fairly reluctant to believe that idea, since you could easily break your neck or some such doing that.

I'm not going to say anything about football though. :smallamused:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-03-27, 08:47 PM
I didn't say he was smart, I said he was short.

Temotei
2010-03-27, 08:48 PM
I didn't say he was smart, I said he was short.

True dat. :smallamused:

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-27, 09:12 PM
Isn't that a spearing penalty?

THAC0
2010-03-27, 09:15 PM
I sure don't play, but I'm a rabid Penn State football fan!

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-27, 09:21 PM
I don't really watch college, but in NFL I go with the Dolphins... they've gotten better

KuReshtin
2010-03-28, 02:25 PM
I played center for about 7 years in the British American Football League.
Wore #65 while I played.

Then I got too old and too crap to play, so I went over to the other side.
I'm now in my second year officiating. Primarily Line Judge and Head Linesman.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-28, 04:58 PM
I played JV high school ball. WR/OLB. had a 40 around a 5. 5'11'', 150 (when I was playing.)

SensFan
2010-03-28, 05:29 PM
I played Left Guard (Blindside) during High School. I got the odd snap at Fullback because I was the biggest guy on the offense.

Delta
2010-03-29, 02:59 AM
Although you get to watch hardly any American Football here in Germany, I've been a fan ever since watching my first Super Bowl in 2001 (the SB is the only football game you can watch on regular german television), when I actually thought about flipping a coin to decide which team to root for, because I thought watching sports is pretty boring otherwise ;)

But then I saw the Patriots entering the stadium (they were the first team to go on the field as a team and refused to have their players announced by name) a thought that was such a great sign of team spirit that I decided that the Patriots would be my "favourite" NFL team (it's not like I'd have ever seen any NFL team play before...) and wasn't disappointed by a great game, even if I didn't understand all the rules back then. Little did I know at the time that the Patriots would go on to become the dominating team of the decade, guess I could've chosen worse ;)

By now, I've watched the Super Bowl and in recent years the Championship Games as well every year, and try to view as many regular season games as I can, even if I'm german and therefore, soccer is of course the game to watch every weekend, american football has a special place in my heart :) Besides that Pats, teams I'm also rooting for are New York (Giants mostly, but I enjoyed watching the Jets last season, too) and Seattle (never been there, but as I've been playing Shadowrun for the last 15+ years of my life, I can't help but like the city ;) )

Xyk
2010-03-29, 04:50 PM
I don't play or anything, but I often find myself rooting for the Texas Longhorns in college ball. Unfortunately, victory was yanked away from us at the championship when Colt McCoy got injured.

Nomrom
2010-03-29, 09:13 PM
I love football. It's definitely my favorite sport. Never played at all, except for on Thanksgiving, when my church always had a flag football game. I don't really follow pro football much, but my team is the Texans, only cuz I'm from Houston. And last season we did break .500. I'm thinking we make playoffs this next season. I really love college football. I'm a Texas Aggie, born and raised, so things have been rough this last decade or so, but hopefully we can remember to play defense this next season, with our new coaching staff.

Xyk
2010-03-29, 10:43 PM
I'm a Texas Aggie, born and raised,

I feel like I'm supposed to hate you. I don't. However, I suggest you get out of that hellish city as soon as possible.

Nomrom
2010-03-29, 10:47 PM
I'll probably move out when I'm done with college, but I'll miss it so much. It wouldn't be nearly as much fun when I'm not in college though. Not much to do for anyone else.

raitalin
2010-03-30, 03:54 AM
I'm thinking we make playoffs this next season.

Being a fan of underdogs, I like the Texans, but I don't see this happening. A Division win is pretty much out of the question because of the Colts and the AFC wild card race is going to be tough this year (2nd place teams in the AFC west and East are what I'm betting on)

I'm a Bears fan, so I'm trying to be reserved. If we can address our problems in the secondary and on the O-line we should have a good year. If we don't fix the O-line Cutler looks like the worst trade ever for another year.

Nomrom
2010-03-30, 09:58 PM
Being a fan of underdogs, I like the Texans, but I don't see this happening.

What can I say, I'm a ridiculous optimist when it comes to my sports teams. I'm also picking my Aggies to win the BigXII next year, which is even more unlikely.

KjeldorMage
2010-03-31, 05:33 AM
Lions fan here. I actually buy the Sunday ticket. It is amazing!

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-31, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately, I can't buy a ticket for the Dolphins... no team is good enough to justify driving 12 hours every Sunday for 1 game; although Superbowl is definitely a maybe.

On a side note, played a game of touch-football in lieu of actual practice; I've learned that although you have two of the team's best players on your side and you yourself are slightly faster than the whole opposing side, nothing makes up bad coverage and shoddy teamwork. Covering three people around the same speed as me didn't work out so well, especially when one ran a post and the other ran a hitch. Fun game though

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-03-31, 09:06 PM
Some friends of a friend were playing street football once, a year or so ago (I think it was last summer, actually), which is a very painful thing to do.

Now, this street had cars parked in it. This car happened to have windshield. One of the friends got tackled, and smashed his head THROUGH the windshield. Everyone froze. The guy slowly, carefully extracted his head from the windshield. Everyone exhaled, and then ran like the dickens.

Football is fun, but I'm crap at it, and street football is scary. Getting tackled onto pavement hurts. /[thankyoucaptainobvious]

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-03-31, 09:46 PM
Some friends of a friend were playing street football once, a year or so ago (I think it was last summer, actually), which is a very painful thing to do.

Now, this street had cars parked in it. This car happened to have windshield. One of the friends got tackled, and smashed his head THROUGH the windshield. Everyone froze. The guy slowly, carefully extracted his head from the windshield. Everyone exhaled, and then ran like the dickens.

Football is fun, but I'm crap at it, and street football is scary. Getting tackled onto pavement hurts. /[thankyoucaptainobvious]

Do yall perchance live in Philadelphia?

MikelaC1
2010-04-01, 06:35 AM
I was a cheerleader in high school and university, does that count for anything?

Quincunx
2010-04-01, 06:46 AM
Do yall perchance live in Philadelphia?

Psst. . .the Broad Street Bullies played hockey.

lvl 1 sharnian
2010-04-01, 04:06 PM
Huh? I was referring (albeit weakly) to the movie Invincible, just watched it a few days ago

Supagoof
2010-04-01, 04:22 PM
Being a fan of underdogs, I like the Texans, but I don't see this happening. A Division win is pretty much out of the question because of the Colts and the AFC wild card race is going to be tough this year (2nd place teams in the AFC west and East are what I'm betting on)

I'm a Bears fan, so I'm trying to be reserved. If we can address our problems in the secondary and on the O-line we should have a good year. If we don't fix the O-line Cutler looks like the worst trade ever for another year.Viking fan here. We'll trade you. You can have T-Jax for Cutler man. I'd be okay with that. :smallamused:

I think GB will probably do well in the division this year. For the Vikes - it depends on who we have QB. That is our biggest question mark. For the Lions - You guys need some D. Though your 1-2 punch on offense (QB and WR) will work well for you. And yeah, if the Bears fixes their problems with the O-Line and perhaps gets some good young talent on D, I can see them picking up the pace this year.

Colts - I don't see them being as good as last year. Granted Peyton will cut up the D like a hot knife through butter, but the Saints proved how easy it is once you stop him. Take Peyton out - and you'll be fine. I don't know if any player will have a bigger bullseye on their back next year. Maybe Drew Bledsoe?