PDA

View Full Version : Balanced replacement for Leadership in Shadow Thief PrC?

Whiplord
2010-03-27, 08:24 PM
One of my players wants to take the Shadow Theif of Amn Prestige Class, which I am more than willing to allow. However, one of the abilities of that class is something which just adds to leadership score. Leadership is something I've never allowed in my games, since it's more trouble than I want to deal with, between outright work, and potential for abuse.

However rather than just saying he gets nothing at that point, I'm wondering if I can come up with a replacement that's powerful and flavorful. This could be something homebrew, or something taken from another class.

I'm drawing a blank though.

arguskos
2010-03-27, 08:31 PM
Hmm. Perhaps give him a free contact in the Shadow Thieves? Say that at that level, he develops a connection with a Guildmaster that he can call upon every now and then for aid. There are organization rules in the DMG2 you could check out for such things.

Also, that's rocking, using the Shadow Thief of Amn PrC. I love the Shadow Thieves.:smallcool:

Geiger Counter
2010-03-27, 08:38 PM
I don't think theres anything wrong with leadership as it really penalizes using your mooks in combat. Personally with the leadership I'd include the acquisition of either a fort, a ship or at best an airship, and it's the responsibilty of the mooks to maintain these. another good use for leadership is having agents placed in numerous cities and have them act as information gatherers and researchers so whenever you get to anytown your never out of the loop and you will be readily aware of any questing opportunities, which works even better if you have something like house sivis.

Whiplord
2010-03-27, 08:41 PM
Well, it actually is a stronghold game, so the management idea is decent. However the fortress is a very powerful/secret one, and the characters are evil, and the other PC is very distrusting.

So, getting a bunch of extra staff may cause problems. I will think more on this though.

deuxhero
2010-03-27, 08:52 PM
NWN2 offers a leadershipless version. (http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Thief_of_Amn_%28class%29)

arguskos
2010-03-27, 09:01 PM
Well, it actually is a stronghold game, so the management idea is decent. However the fortress is a very powerful/secret one, and the characters are evil, and the other PC is very distrusting.

So, getting a bunch of extra staff may cause problems. I will think more on this though.
In light of this, I REALLY recommend a contact within the Shadow Thieves in place of Leadership. It'd be highly helpful for someone manning a stronghold.

Lysander
2010-03-27, 09:18 PM
How about giving him allies in the underworld of every major city. When he's in the area he can contact them and they'll provide a cohort free of charge to assist him while he's there. He'd have his choice of three to four people in each city, and could pick a new one each day.

So in city A there might a rogue, a barbarian, and a cleric to choose from. City B might have a wizard, a warblade, and a mystic theurge. City C might have an aristocrat, a fighter, and a dread necromancer. Etc. So it's weaker than leadership in that you don't get thousands of minions, and your cohort won't go on long journeys with you. But being able to swap your cohorts as needed would be pretty cool. Maybe to give it some real power you can let them hire out the ones not being used as cohorts at discounted rates, so if they ever want to attack someone with a crowd of powerful people close to their own level they can arrange that.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-27, 09:47 PM
Alright the class ability reputation gives a +3 Bonus to his leadership score.

Change it to bonus on hide checks, really 3 extra points of leadership won't usually be very significant. If you want to keep the reputation theme, make it a bonus to diplomacy or intimidate checks.

Really if the class didn't have that reputation ability it really wouldn't be any different.

Flickerdart
2010-03-27, 10:25 PM
You could swap it for a Rogue Special Ability. Improved Evasion is better than Leadership +3.

Whiplord
2010-03-28, 12:58 AM
In light of this, I REALLY recommend a contact within the Shadow Thieves in place of Leadership. It'd be highly helpful for someone manning a stronghold.

It's sorta kinda a multidimensional traveling fortress which can go between Eberron, Faerun, and my custom campaign world. Which... complicates things.

I think I like the NWN2 one, so thanks for that.

And thanks to everyone else for your input. :)

2010-03-28, 03:42 AM
a bonus to gather information/knowledge (local)?