PDA

View Full Version : Cargoship-Battleship Name

oxinabox
2010-03-27, 10:54 PM
OK, so I'm about to start playing an OD (operations director)
in an AdEva Campaign. (Neon Genisis Evangalion modification (total conversion) for Dark Heresy).
So I'm the boss of the other PCs who are piloting giant robots.

Becasue alot of the campaign will be takinjg place in or around the water,
I'm starting play with a battleship.
Now because in the setting the UN has conficated everyones battleships for the UN navy,
My BAttleship isn't technically a battleship.
It started as a Cargo Ship.
Then the Hull was removed and replaced with an armoured hull.
Then the insided structure, is replaced with on suitable for a battle ship.
then the guns were added.
So it has no original Cargo ships parts in it.
(it has one tiny heavily fortified room where there is a bag of suger - the cargo)
thus when the UN cames a knocking the can say "This ain't no battleship, it's a cargo ship. These are dangerous times, we have a right to protect our property"

So I need an awesome name for a cargo ship that will work for a battleship.

Gamgee
2010-03-27, 11:15 PM
Glittering Wealth.

When they ask what the guns are for, tell them that's the glitter. ;)

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-03-27, 11:16 PM
Well, nationality and such would help as well....

But off the top of my head...

The Caravan Guard

Head of Commerce

Great Technicality

Yukitsu
2010-03-27, 11:41 PM
USS Phoenix.

HMCS Impetuosity.

JDF Kousei.

Depending on nationality.

oxinabox
2010-03-27, 11:45 PM
Nationality is Australian.
I like The Caravan Guard,
but i'm sure there a better.

all are much better than my idea: "Maesk Line 27"

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-03-27, 11:49 PM
In that case....

The Spurred Platypus

Steve Irwin's Revenge

Not A Limey

Penal Provider

pingcode20
2010-03-27, 11:56 PM
Stingray.

(Too soon?)

Yukitsu
2010-03-27, 11:58 PM
HMAS Reconstitution, HMAS Outback, HMAS Wallaby.

chiasaur11
2010-03-28, 12:00 AM
An Absurd Lack Of Gravitas.

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

insons insontis nusquam vereor.

Dresil
2010-03-28, 01:48 AM
Jenny. Just because

IonDragon
2010-03-28, 02:20 AM
personally, I like
The Hindenburg
Why? Because I try to name all of my vessels after things that have crashed, burned, or mysteriously disappear. I do this because they've already had it happen. How often do you hear of a ship mysteriously vanishing TWICE?

Gamgee
2010-03-28, 02:30 AM
personally, I like
The Hindenburg
Why? Because I try to name all of my vessels after things that have crashed, burned, or mysteriously disappear. I do this because they've already had it happen. How often do you hear of a ship mysteriously vanishing TWICE?

In game or in real life?

In game it happens all the time. My party lost none other than a dozen ships all named the Phantom (at the time we had no idea how fitting a name it was). Since they were a famous group word travels fast when they disappear.

In game scholars and historians try to figure out what disappearance is correct. I mean on a dozen coastlines and three continents they all have a myth of the parties ship mysteriously vanishing or crashing. None of the locals suspect they are all the truth.

:P

oxinabox
2010-03-28, 02:45 AM
My battleship isn't going to dispaear, burn or get lost.
It's Going to be Cut in a half.

IonDragon
2010-03-28, 03:50 AM
Titanic?:smallbiggrin:

Friend Computer
2010-03-28, 04:00 AM
I'm thinking 'Titanic' is a nice one, too.

Also, where can one get/read/whatever this conversion?

Amiel
2010-03-28, 04:04 AM
Dis Pater

Lord of the Glittering Wealth of the Underworld

IonDragon
2010-03-28, 04:12 AM
I'm thinking 'Titanic' is a nice one, too.

Also, where can one get/read/whatever this conversion?

This conversation? It's right here of course...

Amiel
2010-03-28, 04:18 AM
Another name will be Friend Computer; first in the galaxy for friendliness

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-28, 04:20 AM
You should start with a name that gives low expectations, so either it greatly exceeds them or you end up getting a nice story about how it exactly fit what you wanted to call it.

So call it the "Shinji"

Radar
2010-03-28, 04:45 AM
Enterprtise, since it was technically an exploratory vessel and not a warship at all - no, sir! :smalltongue:

Teddy
2010-03-28, 04:53 AM
Titanic?:smallbiggrin:

To obvious that it will eventually sink. Perhaps you should swap the "titan" part of the name to some metal other that titanium (Copperic, Steelic, Ironic :smallwink:). If your playing around a table, I would suggest the last one, because then you can pronounciate it as the metal "iron" instead of the word "ironic", which will just add some more irony to it when it sinks.

pingcode20
2010-03-28, 04:55 AM
On the other hand, you could just call it the Titanic as a double-dog-dare to the GM to see how long they can manage to not sink it.

Excession
2010-03-28, 05:29 AM
Audacity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Audacity_%28D10%29) perhaps?

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-28, 05:39 AM
It sounds like you're running a variant of a Q-ship.

In many cultures, civilians are forbidden to use military-grade weaponry. In such cultures, the enterprising merchant who wanted a means of combatting enemies, he needed good weapons. However, having good weapons gets him in trouble with the law.

So he hides the weapons. Heavily armored hull plating, with say, portholes that extend into barrels. The idea is to look like a merchant, act like a merchant, raise the white flag when outlaws fire their warning shots, and wait until the hostiles come close to board...

Then to let them have everything you have at point blank range.

It's always been a devious and devastating tactic.

oxinabox
2010-03-28, 06:18 AM
It sounds like you're running a variant of a Q-ship.

Well I'm not trying to hide the guns.
I have a right to guns to protect my self from pirates,
I don't hae a right to a warship.

Personally I'm not too scared of the UN, I have 5 Eva's.
I Can take on the whole world.
(I'm still working out how many Eva's can be fielded against me, at any time. for stalling that though...)

But clearly when NERV/the Autralian milirary (who sold it to nevr) built it (after realising that post 2nd impace battleships are actually decent (esp in the island chain that is now Australia)) were

@Friend Computer, AdEva (v2), is still in devalopment (it's got maybe two weeks left in it 'til it's done). Work/discussion is happening on irc:
Server: irc.rizon.net
Channel: AdeptusEvangelion

Audacity, is frankly brilliant.

Not A Limey is excellent. it's allmost asuitable name fro a Limey Ship.

Titanic isn't reasonable - i'm not renaming the ship. it needs to be the name of the cargo ship they originally renovated. No One would name a ship the titanic.
the Ironic on the other hand...

Shinji is breaking the forthwall pretty hard.

keep em coming

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-28, 06:26 AM
Titanic isn't reasonable - i'm not renaming the ship. it needs to be the name of the cargo ship they originally renovated. No One would name a ship the titanic.

No One would name a ship the titanic. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Titanic)

Nope. Not a soul.

Strategos
2010-03-28, 06:36 AM
I would suggest Krait. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Krait) It seems to be appropriate for an Australian ship that's not what it appears to be.

Brother Oni
2010-03-28, 07:16 AM
HMAS Dropbear?

Amiel
2010-03-28, 07:20 AM
If we're proceeding along those lines; Vegemite Sammich; or Super Happy Yeast Infection

Radar
2010-03-28, 07:26 AM
(...)
(...)
That changes things.
Maybe the previous owner was a company Crates'R'Us or simply Cratus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratos_%28mythology%29). Considering recent revision (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_%28series%29) of this mythological figure it might be quite fitting.

oxinabox
2010-03-28, 08:01 AM
If we're proceeding along those lines; Vegemite Sammich; or Super Happy Yeast Infection

We Arn't going along these line.
Stop with the goddamn Stereotypical Australian stuff.
These names are useless, esp in a grimdark setting.

Krait is the name i'm currently going with.
it's so suitable,
Esp with the tactics that come into play during the second impact wars.

Amiel
2010-03-28, 08:02 AM
Dis Pater isn't reasonable, eh? What? :smallconfused:

bosssmiley
2010-03-28, 08:11 AM
Fair Dinkum, or Rolf Harris Unbound (for great P.B.Shelley justice).

Amiel
2010-03-28, 08:17 AM
I prefer Frankenstein

Or, The Prometheus

The Collector

The Conqueror Worms

The Fury

The Witch House

The Visitation

The Taking

The Lament Configuration

Philistine
2010-03-28, 11:54 AM
Given...

So I'm the boss of the other PCs who are piloting giant robots.

Becasue alot of the campaign will be takinjg place in or around the water,
I'm starting play with a battleship.
Now because in the setting the UN has conficated everyones battleships for the UN navy,
My BAttleship isn't technically a battleship.
It started as a Cargo Ship.
Then the Hull was removed and replaced with an armoured hull.
Then the insided structure, is replaced with on suitable for a battle ship.
then the guns were added.
So it has no original Cargo ships parts in it.
(it has one tiny heavily fortified room where there is a bag of suger - the cargo)
thus when the UN cames a knocking the can say "This ain't no battleship, it's a cargo ship. These are dangerous times, we have a right to protect our property"

Well I'm not trying to hide the guns.
I have a right to guns to protect my self from pirates,
I don't hae a right to a warship.

Personally I'm not too scared of the UN, I have 5 Eva's.
I Can take on the whole world.
(I'm still working out how many Eva's can be fielded against me, at any time. for stalling that though...)

But clearly when NERV/the Autralian milirary (who sold it to nevr) built it (after realising that post 2nd impace battleships are actually decent (esp in the island chain that is now Australia)) were

... all that, I don't know why you'd describe the setting of this game as "grimdark." It sounds like pretty standard wish-fulfillment to me. If anything, it's rather heavy on the "wishful thinking" part. So, based on the ship's stated origin, I suggest christening it along the following lines:

Yeah Right,
No Freaking Way,
Bat-Guano Insane,
Impossible Dream,
Outrageous Folly,
Ridiculous Nonsense,
Ludicrous Suggestion,
Cockamamie Contraption, or
Delusions of Adequacy.

Zellic Solis
2010-03-28, 12:03 PM
Given that it took a VLCC to transport ONE Eva... yeah.

oxinabox
2010-03-28, 06:05 PM
Given that it took a VLCC to transport ONE Eva... yeah.
I can't transport an Eva on it.

The Eva's will have to walk/wade, it's shallow enough, in most parts.

There will be special ships for the recovery of unconcious Evas, but feasibly i think the easiest way it ot have one Eva pick up the other.

@Dis Pater: This name isn't bad, i never said there was anything wrong with it . :-D It's a pretty nice pun actually

... all that, I don't know why you'd describe the setting of this game as "grimdark." It sounds like pretty standard wish-fulfillment to me. If anything, it's rather heavy on the "wishful thinking" part. So, based on the ship's stated origin, I suggest christening it along the following lines:
It's not wish furfillment, i never asked for a battleship.
And if I Have to use 5 Eva to fight off the world?
that's grimmer than most things.
(the fact that I could take on the world was my characters cockyness talking).
I'ld probably loose when they drop the 999 remaining N2 mines on my city.
(unless it's not til late game, like it in in the series).
The Fact is the game hasn't started yet, so i don't know how dark it's going ot be. but the GM has a taste for Grimdark, the system it traditionally used from grim dark, and the modifications are based on a gimedark anima.

chiasaur11
2010-03-28, 06:24 PM
Given...

Yeah Right,
No Freaking Way,
Bat-Guano Insane,
Impossible Dream,
Outrageous Folly,
Ridiculous Nonsense,
Ludicrous Suggestion,
Cockamamie Contraption, or
Delusions of Adequacy.

I really like that last one.

Beleriphon
2010-03-28, 06:40 PM
To obvious that it will eventually sink. Perhaps you should swap the "titan" part of the name to some metal other that titanium (Copperic, Steelic, Ironic :smallwink:). If your playing around a table, I would suggest the last one, because then you can pronounciate it as the metal "iron" instead of the word "ironic", which will just add some more irony to it when it sinks.

One the iron idea: The Ferric Cooper

The Glyphstone
2010-03-28, 07:10 PM
No One would name a ship the titanic. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Titanic)

Nope. Not a soul.

I'm pretty sure he meant a second ship.:smallsigh:

Asbestos
2010-03-28, 07:14 PM
I was thinking "The Beehive" based on her being full of mechs (bees) and the fact that she has a sugary sweet center.

KitTheOdd
2010-03-28, 07:33 PM
I'd recommend checking out Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com) for some name ideas. Howard Tayler has come up with some great ones over the years.

Such as:
Post Dated Check Loan (called Petey for short)
Serial Peacemaker (gets creepier the longer you think about it)
Touch and Go
Sword of Inevitable Justice
Tunguska

And a couple of personal ideas:
Fistful of Dollars/Credits/Yen
Velvet Glove
Seamaster
Gale Force
Storm Rider

lightningcat
2010-03-28, 07:46 PM
USS Phoenix.

HMCS Impetuosity.

JDF Kousei.

Depending on nationality.

I like "Depending on Nationality" it seems like the punch line of a bad joke.

Yukitsu
2010-03-28, 07:49 PM
It's not wish furfillment, i never asked for a battleship.
And if I Have to use 5 Eva to fight off the world?
that's grimmer than most things.
(the fact that I could take on the world was my characters cockyness talking).
I'ld probably loose when they drop the 999 remaining N2 mines on my city.
(unless it's not til late game, like it in in the series).
The Fact is the game hasn't started yet, so i don't know how dark it's going ot be. but the GM has a taste for Grimdark, the system it traditionally used from grim dark, and the modifications are based on a gimedark anima.

Well, discluding the mass production models, 5 evas represents all of the prototype through production types that didn't explode before assignment, so discarding the mass production models, the rest of the world can't touch you, what with how conventional weaponry can't punch through the light of the soul, mass N2 mine drops included in all odds...

Cisturn
2010-03-28, 09:49 PM
The Audacity gets my vote

The Megas
The Pacific Pearl
The Queen's Coffer