PDA

View Full Version : The Eastern Border

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mangles
2010-03-27, 10:55 PM
Welcome to The Eastern Border, the most forsaken place known to Man, Dwarf, Elf and just about every other race. - Jones. A guard

The Border is a dividing line between two of the ancient races. Surrounded by Mountains and Marsh this was the only land route between them. Eons ago they went to war, dragging all the minor races into it with them. A treaty for the war was agreed to by the ancients. The battles would only take place on the border, and the first to rule it would win. Neither race could ever push the other back, and they fought until their races were past the brink of extinction. The war was over and the survivors of the Ancient races locked their secrets away before they too passed away into history.

Using magic is like playing 2-up in a dark ally. You never know if the coins are all heads. - Theodore - A traveling bard

The damage from the war was done though and the land never recovered. Its magics so ravaged that they no longer work properly. Simple magics seem to function fine but complex magics fail all the time. This can result in nothing much happening at all, or as has been known to happen by those attempting some of the more difficult spells, Dire Wolves appear instead of that healing spell and start to ravage everything they see.

Normally very few people come to the border, lowlifes and washed out adventurers, but recently something of interest was brought back. An iron Golem all filled with cogs and pipes was dragged back by one of the men out seeking some fame. He went back to get more treasure, claiming that this was nothing compared to what was out there. He never returned, and the Golem stands where the adventurer dragged him too. A statue in the courtyard that entices new adventures to glory.

As you arrive in town a thin man greets you. He explains that your presence will be tolerated and you will be fed and bedded as long as you earn your keep within the fort. such are the orders from higher up. But he will not risk lives to save a single man who goes beyond the gates and heads east. Unless you can make it back inside the forts gates you are on your own.

esorscher
2010-03-27, 11:11 PM
Eagan Duncan is standing in front of the statue, pestering anyone who will listen. "The tower, you must have seen it," he starts, but they walk away, unwilling to lend an ear. "Come on, there's got to be loads of treasure left." Few stop, most shake their heads and laugh. Another adventurer, desperate for excitement and fortune, soon never to be heard from again--just like the rest.

Samm
2010-03-27, 11:24 PM
Robute walks into the fort and looks at the impressive statue and the golem "Hmm...", he says. He thinks to himself, "At least this place is somewhat respectable, and I doubt they'd look for me here."

He turns to Eagan Duncan and sizes him up. He's pretty big, but looks rather naive. Robute walks over to him and says to him quietly, "C'mon... You look an idiot at the moment... Don't do that... Ask someone who'd give you an answer... Maybe the tavern-keeper, or map maker... might help you... Even then, you'd probably be better off staying in town."

Chaelos
2010-03-28, 12:34 AM
A lone man, clad in a coarse green cloak and sturdy looking clothes, finishes tying his horse up at a corral near the tavern just in time to notice the disturbance near the statute. Smirking as he shoulders his bow, he saunters over to greet the two men.

"Fine day, eh?" He extends a hand. "Jak Tyree. What's the word?"

Andraste
2010-03-28, 12:35 AM
Anadri walks up to the raving human and lets out a small chuckle. "Heh, what makes you think there's anything there but rubble and cobwebs?" she asks condescendingly.

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 12:42 AM
"Hey Eagan, have you got a group together yet? I'll be at the forge today, as always. Come get me at the forge when you're finally ready to head out." Without even pausing to hear the reply, the elf turns and walks away.

Samm
2010-03-28, 12:55 AM
Anadri walks up to the raving human and lets out a small chuckle. "Heh, what makes you think there's anything there but rubble and cobwebs?" she asks condescendingly.

"Exactly my point... That elf seems to be pretty confident though..." Robute then shakes Jak's hand, in slight annoyance and says, "Robute... yeah... that's me... I'm a stonemason, usually repair and build stone buildings... You?"

esorscher
2010-03-28, 01:02 AM
"I may look an idiot, but it worked. Now that I've got your attention," Eagan began, shaking Jak's hand, and nodding to Vanya as she passed. "Let me make a proposition. I'd wager there's our fair share of rubble, but that tower was heavily defended in the war, and abandoned quickly. There is no way that they took everything with them. Whether the treasure is in steel or in silver, the best place to start is in the remnants of civilization. And out here, that dusty old tower is what passes. I propose a fair split of whatever we find.

"Now, I'm not saying this is going to be a piece of cake. We are probably going to encounter some resistance, maybe booby traps left by the retreating guardsmen, maybe the tower's been taken over, by locals or by a recluse, or whatever. I think that a large group like this," he pauses, gesturing to the three gathered before him, "plus my elven friend, should be more than capable of meeting whatever we come up against. And the tower is not far from the fort, we can retreat back if the need arise--or even, fortify a position and camp there overnight. It wasn't too long ago this tower housed soldiers, I think we can make it suit our purposes for one night." he gestures to Robute, "especially with your expertise."

"I guarantee you you will be safer behind the fort's walls than outside them. But I've been cooped up in here for far too long," you see that his eyes are beginning to show signs of crow's feet, and the stubble on his face is more gray than blond. "And I'm willing to risk a little excitement for such a great reward."

amanamana
2010-03-28, 01:32 AM
A red haired elf walks by and seems interested. He wears a leather armor and carries a longsword. Some of you may know him as one of the Fort's bowyers. Others may know him as the elf that sometimes punches people in the face when he is drunk.

Despite his personality though, he has a strong arm and a precise bow. He is known to fight equally well in melee and in ranged combat.

He comes near you.

"Hey, what's going on?"

Samm
2010-03-28, 01:46 AM
"I may look an idiot, but it worked. Now that I've got your attention," Eagan began, shaking Jak's hand, and nodding to Vanya as she passed. "Let me make a proposition. I'd wager there's our fair share of rubble, but that tower was heavily defended in the war, and abandoned quickly. There is no way that they took everything with them. Whether the treasure is in steel or in silver, the best place to start is in the remnants of civilization. And out here, that dusty old tower is what passes. I propose a fair split of whatever we find.

"Now, I'm not saying this is going to be a piece of cake. We are probably going to encounter some resistance, maybe booby traps left by the retreating guardsmen, maybe the tower's been taken over, by locals or by a recluse, or whatever. I think that a large group like this," he pauses, gesturing to the three gathered before him, "plus my elven friend, should be more than capable of meeting whatever we come up against. And the tower is not far from the fort, we can retreat back if the need arise--or even, fortify a position and camp there overnight. It wasn't too long ago this tower housed soldiers, I think we can make it suit our purposes for one night." he gestures to Robute, "especially with your expertise."

"I guarantee you you will be safer behind the fort's walls than outside them. But I've been cooped up in here for far too long," you see that his eyes are beginning to show signs of crow's feet, and the stubble on his face is more gray than blond. "And I'm willing to risk a little excitement for such a great reward."

"Fair enough... You've won me over... the promise of treasure and excitement is.... one I don't turn down lightly... do we need anything more, like equipment wise, I don't? So I'll be off to the blacksmith." Robute then heads off to the blacksmith, with a little smile on his face. He thinks to himself, "This sounds like a bit of fun."

Andraste
2010-03-28, 01:48 AM
Anadri considers what Eagan has said. "You know, you could be right. Who knows what hidden secrets are concealed within that ruin. We could find some very interesting things. I will go with you."

Chaelos
2010-03-28, 01:51 AM
Jak grins.

"Sounds like fun."

amanamana
2010-03-28, 04:06 AM
"Treasure? Excitement? Secrets in a ruin?" - The red-haired elf doesn't seem to know exactly what they are talking about, but gets really interested - "Hi, I'm Red!" - He says, with a smile on his face.

Samm
2010-03-28, 04:57 AM
"Treasure? Excitement? Secrets in a ruin?" - The red-haired elf doesn't seem to know exactly what they are talking about, but gets really interested - "Hi, I'm Red!" - He says, with a smile on his face.

Robute hears this newcomer, and turns to face him, and says with a little smirk, "Hi Red... I'm Robute... We're, we're, talking about exploring the abandoned watch-tower nearby... may possibly have treasure... sounds like fun... though... We've got... a bunch of people here, kinda... interested in this enterprise..." and then he kinda trails off.

amanamana
2010-03-28, 05:23 AM
"Is there room for one more?" - He asks, with a hopeful look.

esorscher
2010-03-28, 08:36 AM
"The more the merrier," Eagan says, clapping Red on the back. "But no more. Too many cooks spoil the soup. I'm Eagan." As the party walks to the forge, Eagan lingers in the back with Red and fills him in on where they are going, and what they are doing. The party stops outside the forge to meet Vanya, and go over supplies/ duties before they set out.

"I'm a front-line fighter myself, I don't know about you. I'll take point."

amanamana
2010-03-28, 01:15 PM
"Well, I can fight in the front and go ranged as well. What better suits the situation." - He sees the guys are getting supplies and says, in a hurry - "Hey, let me get my stuff."

The elf darts to his dorm in an astounding speed. In a few moments he gets back. On his left hand, leaning on his shoulder, he holds a guisarme. On his right hand a javelin. A short bow is packed over a backpack, holding the essentials.

He gets near Eagan again, as if continuing the same talk from before:
"Oh... and I'm what the humans call... a... uh... berserker, I think it's the term." - He says, doubtful - "I'm pretty sure that's it."

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 02:31 PM
Vanya grabs her gear and joins the group. "Well, what are we waiting for? The sun's not going to stay up forever, you know." She walks past the group, nudging Eagan as she passes. "Who's taking point? We can figure out what we all do on the way." She stops abruptly and turns, her violet eyes surveying the motley group she's signed up with. "By the way, I assume there may be danger involved here. How are we covered with healing?" Without waiting for a response, she turns and moves. "Come on, we don't have all day, people."

esorscher
2010-03-28, 02:55 PM
Eagan turns his pockets inside out. "As you can see, I've not much to my name. Just my weapons and armor. Come, let us depart. I'll take point, Jak, why don't you walk with me. Your young eyes will do a fair sight better than mine." When everyone is ready, Eagan sets off toward the gate. As the party walks, a brisk pace, he readies his bow. "Keep a sharp eye--who knows what sort of creatures we may encounter along the way. If we want to avoid injury, we need to meet any resistance headlong, and not wait for them to find us."

Chaelos
2010-03-28, 03:00 PM
"I'll join you on point, yeah." Jak grins. "Be right back."

A few moments later, the ranger returns leading a well-muscled black horse behind him. He sets off along with the others.

"Absolutely right," he says to Eagan as they travel. "Don't want to let anything get the drop on us."

esorscher
2010-03-28, 03:01 PM
Forgot my rolls:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 03:09 PM
Vanya nods in agreement. "Wise words, friend," as she pulls her light crossbow and loads it.

amanamana
2010-03-28, 04:28 PM
"If we are short in healing, we just have to kill things twice as fast!" - The red-haired elf says, with a weird smile and psychotic look in his eyes.

He walks after the group, paying attention to the sounds from anything trying to stalk them. His javelin already on his right hand, ready to fly.

Listen [roll0]

"I didn't get all your names, though. I'm Red, by the way."

Mangles
2010-03-28, 04:30 PM
Your group exits the gates, much to the sneers of the guards on duty. You can see some coin change hand. It looks like they are betting on your return. While traveling the road to the tower you see in the distance a cart turned over. While not currently on fire, it is obvious it was recently. A little further from the cart is a L shaped barricade, with the normally pointy end facing towards you.

Andraste
2010-03-28, 04:33 PM
"I am Anadri," she replies to Red. She removes her longsword from her back and props it against her shoulder in case it is needed.

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 04:51 PM
"Vanya here. I've got a couple of arcane tricks up my sleeve if we need them. But, let's hope things don't get that desperate so quickly. For now, I'll lend the crossbow to help put down any trouble we face."

esorscher
2010-03-28, 05:57 PM
Eagan raises a hand up, signalling the group to slow. "Approach with caution," he says, remembering his early days of training as a guardsmen. "Bows at the ready. Let me do the talking, if there's any to be done--if there is, it won't last long. Advance as a line--let's not get in the way of each other's sight. I'll take the center, Jak beside me, Red, come up to my other side. Anadri, I don't know what you're packing for distance fights, but if you've got something, you might want to use it before you rush in with you're sword. Either way, if you're going to charge, wait until we all fire a shot--the toughest of these bandits are brutes, generally, not archers, and unless they've got good cover it's worth taking the first ranged move. Pick a target, aim at him. When I say "Shibboleth," fire," he says in hushed tones to the group, quickly, before they draw within 100' feet of the wagon. "When I was a guard, they taught us to fire from our knees--you present a smaller target to your enemy, and you have a steadier aim. If you're going not planning on going into close combat, you may want to practice that." He says, trying to keep order amidst the chaos of this frontier world.

"Above all, remember this. These roads have been fought over before, and they've been fought to be made free. These bandits have done nothing to deserve your hard-earned gold. If we're going to pay, so will they." He speaks with an air of experience, and a bit of venom to his tongue. After waiting for others to voice their opinions, he will take the following actions:

(If you have any other ideas, speak up) At 80' from the wagon, he will stop, ready his bow and approach with caution, motioning for the others to do the same. He readies himself for battle.

(just in case) Spot: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll2]

Basically, the plan is this: approach with caution, if it's obviously bandits, Eagan is not going to wait for them to speak--he'll say Shibboleth right away, and initiate combat. If it doesn't look to be bandits, he'll think on his feet.

amanamana
2010-03-28, 06:54 PM
Red grips his javelin and follow through with Eagan's plan. He takes advantage of his superior speed to cover his flank immediately. In his left hand, the guisarme is carried parallel to the ground, ready to be wielded after the javelin is thrown.

In his eyes, there is excitement and a lust for violence. His ears search for trouble around him.
"Don't forget the barricade can be a ruse and they could be bordering the road. Bandits don't play fair.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Andraste
2010-03-28, 07:33 PM
"I can assault them from afar, but I must be somewhat close to them. If they get too close I can also attempt to destroy their weapons. My sword is just in case they come close enough that using my magic will be dangerous."
She moves closer, and her left hand begins to glow slightly.

Moving to 60ft from wagon.

Initiative: [roll2]

amanamana
2010-03-28, 08:23 PM
(Oops! Forgot about Initiative)
Initiative [roll0]

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 08:28 PM
OOC initiative [roll0]

Chaelos
2010-03-28, 08:56 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
Spot: [roll2]

Andraste
2010-03-28, 09:06 PM
"Should I try to draw them out? I can attempt to talk to them if they do not seem hostile."

Mangles
2010-03-28, 10:18 PM
The group spots the body of a Goblin on the ground along with a human corpse. Both have arrows in them. Nothing further can bee seen from this distance.

OOC: assuming you are 80ft out at the moment. Will post further update once im done work.

esorscher
2010-03-28, 11:45 PM
Eagan holds a hand up; the hand is a clenched fist, signaling a full stop. "Look around, they could come from anywhere," he says in hushed tones. He shouts, "We see you, come out from where you are and you may yet live."

Bluff: [roll0]

(someone else may want to roll that)

VinGoodman
2010-03-28, 11:46 PM
Vanya

"Perhaps simple is better? Let's move to the wagon, check it, and use it as cover to investigate the barricade? For all we know, no one's here anymore anyways."

Andraste
2010-03-28, 11:50 PM
OOC
Actually, I'm 60 ft away.

Moving to 60ft from wagon.

Just in case there is someone there, Anadri says "Come out now and we can still discuss this peacefully."

esorscher
2010-03-28, 11:50 PM
Eagan nods. "Approach with caution, they could be waiting to ambush us from the wagon."

Andraste
2010-03-29, 12:07 AM
Anadri positions herself so she is closer to the barricade.

I try to get about 60ft from both the cart and the barricade

Mangles
2010-03-29, 12:11 AM
As you approach the wagon 3 lights shoot up from behind the barrier heading straight up into the sky. A voice calls out from behind the barrier. "Your entering the territory of the Skall tribe. Leave now and you can keep your lives."

amanamana
2010-03-29, 12:29 AM
Red also gets closer to the barricade, keeping the same distance Anadri did. He looks around for others hiding in the vegetation.

Anyone looking at him will see he is clearly not in the mood for long parleys.

esorscher
2010-03-29, 01:22 AM
Eagan moves into position 60' away from the barricade, like the rest of the party. His bow is drawn. To the party, he whispers, "Anyone speak Goblin?" To the enemy, he says, loudly so they can hear, "We mean you no harm, but we will not be waylaid. If you refuse us passage, we will take it by force."

Ready an attack at the first enemy that has less than 3/4 cover.

esorscher
2010-03-29, 01:31 AM
Intimidate Check: [roll0]

(Again, someone else might want to roll this.)

Samm
2010-03-29, 01:46 AM
OOC
Actually, I'm 60 ft away.

Just in case there is someone there, Anadri says "Come out now and we can still discuss this peacefully."

Robute moves up with the other party members, he says "I doubt that's going to happen" under his breath. "I speak Goblin" Robute says, and then he speaks in goblin, "We don't mean you any harm... we're just passing through... but if you attack us, we will fight back..."

Diplomacy, if needed: [roll0]
Also, Initiative: [roll1]

However, Robute doubts that his attempt to calm the goblin's fears will work, so he draws his crossbow, and loosens both his rapier and sword in their sheathes.

Mangles
2010-03-29, 02:30 AM
"I'd never surrender to a goblins friend."

A crossbow bolt shoots from the barricade. Briefly the face of a kobold is visible. The crossbow bolt is aimed at Robute...

attack of [roll0] for [roll1] damage

everyone is currently at 60ft from the barricade. There is no immediate cover in front of you but 100 ft to the north and 80 ft to the south is some sparse vegetation which would afford you concealment.

and misses him landing in the ground a good 5 feet in front of him.

VinGoodman
2010-03-29, 02:59 AM
"Kobold! Can't say I've ever met a kobold I liked." Vanya speaks quickly and quietly to the others, "let's see if we can try storming the barricade from the sides. I can provide some cover fire here with anyone else who's more comfortable at range." Vanya moves 30' forward and towards the right side of the barricade, and readies her crossbow to unleash at the first enemy to show himself at the barricade.

Readied action attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

crit check at attack roll = 22-23 attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Chaelos
2010-03-29, 03:20 AM
Jak's face turns grim as the crossbow bolt lands, but immediately goes into action. He notches an arrow to his bowstring, runs to within 30 feet of the koboldsand, when one shows itself, he fires.

Readied action (he fires when a kobold presents itself, on his turn):

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

esorscher
2010-03-29, 09:28 AM
"Kobolds... of course, why would goblins leave one of their own to rot? Think, Dunker, think." Eagan swings his bow over his back, unnotching the arrow and slipping it into the quiver in a smooth motion as he runs forward 30'. "Good thinking, Vanya. I'll try and draw them out. Red, with me! If you can shoot from that distance, try and make for the wagon."

Eagan darts forward another 30' to the non-L side of the barricade, readying his shield as he does so. He holds his shield out before him, anticipating their attacks from the barricade.

Double move, sheathe weapon and ready shield as free actions in conjunction with the move.

amanamana
2010-03-29, 12:19 PM
(OOC: Maybe we should get a map and a initiative order.)

When the bolts start flying, a creepy smile appears in Red's face. He runs 40' towards the wagon, looking for a target on the way. If one of the buggers shows himself, the javelin flies.

Javelin [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

crit on a result of 24 - Confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Samm
2010-03-29, 03:38 PM
Robute runs forward 30ft, crouches and, aims the crossbow, which he readied earlier, and at any kobold that will show itself above the barricade or in the surrounding area, he'll fire at. He says,"Oh I see what game they're playing... They want to "defend" their territory from passers by... Oi I'll Red, Dunker, once you get into the melee, I'll join you, I'm better there! especially with your help..."

Spot, if needed: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
If threaten on 22-23: [roll3]

Andraste
2010-03-29, 05:48 PM
Anadri grimaces. She throws her arm forward and a bolt of purple energy flies from her hand towards the kobold. She then runs towards the barricade and slightly to the side without the 'L'.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0]

If critical threat (23):
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

How I move:

....B.
.BBBB.
X.....
.\....
.|....
.|....
.|....
.|....
.A....

Mangles
2010-03-29, 08:08 PM
The kobold stands up out of cover and fires the crossbow. This time aiming at Eagan.

[roll0] for [roll1]

His bolt explodes in the crossbow throwing splinters at him. As it does 4 arrows and a javelin thump into the barricade.

VinGoodman
2010-03-29, 09:50 PM
"Pitiful!" Vanya chides herself as she loads another bolt and fires at the dumbfounded kobold struggling with his crossbow. As she does, she inches closer to the barricade, continuing to veer right as she does so.

Readied action attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

crit check if attack roll = 22-23 attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

esorscher
2010-03-30, 12:44 AM
Eagan closes the remaining distance between him and the nearest kobold, drawing his sword as he does so. He thrusts forward with his blade, drawing power from his foot and channeling it through his body in a swift, practiced motion.

Samm
2010-03-30, 01:07 AM
Robute draws both his swords and moves in, up to the barricade and takes cover. "That was a close one... Red, Dunker, let's move in..."

Robute, can't draw weapons and move at the same time, he only has a Base attack bonus of 0.

Mangles
2010-03-30, 01:59 AM
The kobolds lifeless body falls off the end of Eagans blade. The lights above fade away.

Samm
2010-03-30, 02:06 AM
In reaction to the kobolds's body hitting the ground with a solid thud, Robute says,"Wait, there could be more of them... Watch out for them..." He looks around and listens for any more kobolds that might be lurking nearby.

Mangles
2010-03-30, 04:25 AM
You don't see nor hear any more kobolds

Chaelos
2010-03-30, 09:44 AM
"Must've been a lookout," Jak grumbles as the lights fade. "Probably signaling its little friends. We should move."

He approaches the Kobold, stops to listen for a moment, then begins to move.

Spot and listen rolls:

VinGoodman
2010-03-30, 09:44 AM
Vanya breathes a sigh of relief as she sees the kobold go down. She wipes the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand as she approaches the barricade, with the crossbow loaded and ready in case of danger. Once the party has scouted out the area and searched the bodies (kobold, human and goblin), she alerts them, "those lights may have been warning signals. We must be even more vigilant from now for possible ambushes."

"Shall we continue on to the tower?"

esorscher
2010-03-30, 10:17 AM
"Agreed. One kobold, alone in the waste, is unlikely. Let us make haste in our departure."

After quickly examining the kobold for anything useful, Eagan resumes his position at the front of the party.

amanamana
2010-03-30, 10:41 AM
"Why do I have the feeling that those buggers are living in the tower or under it?" - He walks up to the barricade and retrieves his javelin. He inspects the kobold for any symbol or mark that might identify him. After this, he walks after the party.

Samm
2010-03-30, 03:59 PM
Vanya breathes a sigh of relief as she sees the kobold go down. She wipes the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand as she approaches the barricade, with the crossbow loaded and ready in case of danger. Once the party has scouted out the area and searched the bodies (kobold, human and goblin), she alerts them, "those lights may have been warning signals. We must be even more vigilant from now for possible ambushes."

"Shall we continue on to the tower?"

"Then we must hurry, we must get there before they ready their defences..."

Robute runs over and picks up his crossbow, he then resumes walking towards the tower.

Andraste
2010-03-30, 05:49 PM
Anadri looks through the wagon and the barricade in search of anything useful.

Search: [roll0]

Mangles
2010-03-30, 10:26 PM
You find nothing in the wagon. It looks like the lot was already pillaged. On the Kobold however you find 3 crossbow bolts, a now broken crossbow and a scroll with draconic writing on it.

EDIT: @Red You see a black triangle tattoed on the kobolds sholder.

VinGoodman
2010-03-31, 12:15 AM
"Hmm, what have we here?" Vanya takes a look at the scroll and attempts to make sense of it.

OOC Vanya knows Draconic. In case it's an arcane spell,

Spellcraft [roll0]
Vanya fails to identify it if it's a spell on the scroll. We'll have to use Read Magic later unless someone has the spellcraft skill to try.

amanamana
2010-03-31, 12:55 AM
"Look at this, people. Anyone knows if this black triangle on his shoulder is related to some cult or any known group?" - Red pokes the body a couple of times, just for the heck of it.

After finishing it, he stands up and, leaning on the guisarme, takes a look around. - "Yup... this will probably be fun!" - The red haired elf starts walking towards the tower.

VinGoodman
2010-03-31, 01:30 AM
Vanya tucks the scroll in the backpack for future reference and falls back into formation, with the crossbow loaded and ready.

Samm
2010-03-31, 02:25 AM
"Look at this, people. Anyone knows if this black triangle on his shoulder is related to some cult or any known group?" - Red pokes the body a couple of times, just for the heck of it.

After finishing it, he stands up and, leaning on the guisarme, takes a look around. - "Yup... this will probably be fun!" - The red haired elf starts walking towards the tower.

"I wouldn't have a clue, but it would support my idea... Stay on the lookout.", Robute says. He keeps walking.

Mangles
2010-03-31, 05:51 AM
((ooc : Assuming your done here and keep onwards))

A little further up the road you find two dead Kobolds with the same tattoo on their shoulder. They have nothing on them but rags. A look at the corpses and you can see they were mauled by something. The appear to have been running to help at the barricade.

VinGoodman
2010-03-31, 08:43 AM
Good thing they did not make it to the barracks. But, what were they going to fight with? And who...no, what could have done this to them? Her grip tightens on the crossbow instinctively, and Vanya had to force herself to relax back into the proper grip. "Stay sharp, everyone. We may have more than the kobolds to be on the watch for."

esorscher
2010-03-31, 09:55 AM
"Agreed," said Eagan, drawing his bow. "Whatever made short work of these kobolds, would likely do the same to us, given an opportunity. Let's not give it one."

Chaelos
2010-03-31, 10:15 AM
Jak kneels over them, attempting to identify the wounds.

Rolling survival:
[roll0]

Andraste
2010-03-31, 10:25 AM
Anadri turns to Vanya, "May I see the scroll? I would like to attempt to descipher it."

Also checking if it's just normal writing, as I too speak draconic.
Spellcraft: [roll0]

Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
(-5 for being distracted by scroll)

VinGoodman
2010-03-31, 10:29 AM
Vanya hands the scroll over, and continues her lookout. "Hold on to it for now. We'll deal with figuring out what it is later if you are unable to decipher it."

amanamana
2010-03-31, 02:31 PM
"How fresh are the bodies, Jak?" - He looks around, paying attention to any movement.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Mangles
2010-03-31, 04:27 PM
Besides the fact that they were killed by something with claws you find nothing out. The claw marks are unlike any animal or beast that you know of.

esorscher
2010-03-31, 04:30 PM
"We should keep moving. I don't want to be out here at nightfall." Eagan says, urging the group onward toward the tower.

VinGoodman
2010-03-31, 07:46 PM
"I agree, we should get to the tower before nightfall. I would not want to be caught out here in the dead of night." Vanya stretches her body a bit to keep limber, and keeps her crossbow loaded and ready as she urges the group onward alongside Eagan.

amanamana
2010-03-31, 09:16 PM
"Ok... weird. They were mauled by claws, but they were apparently looted after." - He looks at the others - "If they were going to help at the barricade, they should have equipment with them. But they have nothing but rags."

"Maybe someone has a pet... a monster trained to kill. It killed them an they looted it's body. Or they faced a creature that have claws and an interest in valuables. An intelligent monster. The worst kind."

Red keeps his eyes on the vegetation bordering the road, as he follows the group. Keeping pace with them seems really easy for him.

Samm
2010-03-31, 11:58 PM
"Ok... weird. They were mauled by claws, but they were apparently looted after." - He looks at the others - "If they were going to help at the barricade, they should have equipment with them. But they have nothing but rags."

"Maybe someone has a pet... a monster trained to kill. It killed them an they looted it's body. Or they faced a creature that have claws and an interest in valuables. An intelligent monster. The worst kind."

Red keeps his eyes on the vegetation bordering the road, as he follows the group. Keeping pace with them seems really easy for him.

Well, that makes sense... I'd suggest we stay sharp, if that beast could make short work of the kobolds, we'd better be careful...

Robute keeps moving and catches up with Eagan, he's cautious now, looking around and listening.

Mangles
2010-04-01, 12:00 AM
You reach the ruined tower with the greater part of the day having passed. The tower itself is a wreck. Parts of the missing wall allow you to see inside. You can see kobolds inside the tower and a few at the peak not keeping a very good lookout. They look pretty relaxed. A large wood door is at the entrance to the tower.

esorscher
2010-04-01, 12:03 AM
Questions:

1) Is there anything that could provide cover nearby?
2) How far from the tower are we/ said cover-providing objects?
3) Approximately how many Kobolds do we see?

Samm
2010-04-01, 12:08 AM
"Hmm, those lights we saw back at the barricade haven't seemed to have alerted the kobolds back here. Could this be a bluff? I doubt it, but it's a possibility." Robute decides to drop behind something to hide, incase one of the kobolds see him.

Hide: [roll0]

He then says, "Well, this tower, isn't quite as abandoned as I thought, what should we do, eh? Sneak in through the holes in the walls, try to open the gate?"

esorscher
2010-04-01, 12:14 AM

Eagan moves quickly, fortunately, and follows Robute. "If we can get through a hole in the wall," he says, "There's no need to open the gate. In fact, we'd do better to keep it closed--the kobolds may be too small to use the same way in we do, or else they might be too stupid. The question is--can we take out those on top before they sound the alarm, and if we can't, how do we get across this flatland without them seeing us." Behind his eyes, gears are turning, his brain frantically searching for a battle strategy should they suddenly be faced with an outpour of kobolds.

Samm
2010-04-01, 12:27 AM
"Maybe, Vanya or Anadri has some spells that'd be useful here, possibly create a mist or something... Or maybe, we could shoot down the people on the peak, but I doubt that'd work... Or, we could wait until nightfall, where there is less light, and sneak in..." Robute says to Dunker. Robute is still sitting tight, hiding, he's trying figure out the best plan of action, and guess how many kobolds there are. "What are they defending? Why? Should we wait till nightfall?", He thinks to himself.

esorscher
2010-04-01, 12:31 AM
"No, the kobolds are at their weakest in the bright light. Covered by fog, we could get across the open plain just fine."

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 12:38 AM
"Sorry, guys, fog's not on my repertoire." Vanya shrugs helplessly.

"As for entry, if we can squeeze through, I'm sure the puny kobolds can do it too." Vanya looks at the laxed manner with which watch is being kept. "I suggest we simply go through on of the holes, firing on the other side as we come through. If we are outgunned, we can always try to outrun them. Should we hurry to the wall and see if there's a hole we can comfortably see and go through?"

Samm
2010-04-01, 01:03 AM
"This sounds like the right thing to do, but we must, try not to alert the kobolds... Maybe Vanya, you could make a distraction while we sneak in?"

esorscher
2010-04-01, 01:35 AM
"Wait!" Eagan exclaims. "If these kobolds have advanced scouts in one direction, it makes sense they would have them in other directions. Vanya, if you were to shoot off a dancing lights spell on the opposite direction of the tower, it might draw the kobolds from the tower in that direction."

Mangles
2010-04-01, 01:58 AM
The land around the tower was cleared when it was still in use and nature has yet to take a full hold of it. That being said there is sparse trees and vegetation around. If one was quick and lucky you could sneak in

Samm
2010-04-01, 02:19 AM
"Wait!" Eagan exclaims. "If these kobolds have advanced scouts in one direction, it makes sense they would have them in other directions. Vanya, if you were to shoot off a dancing lights spell on the opposite direction of the tower, it might draw the kobolds from the tower in that direction."

"Then we could sneak in, right? While, their out dealing with their dancing lights, we can launch an attack..." Robute says semi-triumphantly.

esorscher
2010-04-01, 03:39 AM
"Bingo," Eagan says, snapping his fingers and pointing at Robute. He makes some quick calculations. "It will take us 30 seconds to reach the tower. Vanya, keep this distance from the tower, but move around so you're opposite us. Your dancing lights should draw their attention so we can sneak in. Keep running, and regroup with us--take care not to attract the kobolds' attention. We will secure the bottom level of the tower and wait for you there.

"Any objections?"

600' to the tower. 30 seconds = five rounds at 30' x4 (run speed). Approximately how wide is the tower's diameter?

Samm
2010-04-01, 03:58 AM
"Bingo," Eagan says, snapping his fingers and pointing at Robute. He makes some quick calculations. "It will take us 30 seconds to reach the tower. Vanya, keep this distance from the tower, but move around so you're opposite us. Your dancing lights should draw their attention so we can sneak in. Keep running, and regroup with us--take care not to attract the kobolds' attention. We will secure the bottom level of the tower and wait for you there.

"Any objections?"

600' to the tower. 30 seconds = five rounds at 30' x4 (run speed). Approximately how wide is the tower's diameter?

"Great, Will do... But how are we going to make sure Vanya catches up with us?"

amanamana
2010-04-01, 04:09 AM
"Maybe she could run into trouble, if we carry on with this plan... going alone might be a bad idea. Why don't one of us goes with her" - Red asks to the fellow warriors.

Turning to Vanya - "Try to remember the actual pattern he was using with the dancing lights. Getting it wrong may mean problems."

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 10:47 AM
Vanya sighs as the group continues to plan their entry. "You know, it's not like I can just whip these spells up. They take time to prepare!" Attempting to keep her irritation in check at the lack of arcane understanding her group is displaying, she continues, "I think our best bet is still speed. Let's just move quickly when we can, and hope for the best. Perhaps someone with keen eyes can keep an eye on the tower, and signal us when it appears we have the moment to go for it. They can lead us or follow us at that moment."

esorscher
2010-04-01, 10:50 AM
"What spells do you have prepared, Vanya, that might be of use in either creating a distraction, boosting our speed, hiding us, or taking out those atop the tower from afar?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 10:56 AM
"Hmm, let's see here." Vanya mentally sifts through her spell incantations, "I can detect or read magic, bring up a light to help us see, make one of you brutes bigger to give me more cover, and use a bit of color to knock people out. Ah, and I can throw a bit of acid and create a force armor about me. I thought those would come in handy for a trip such as this."

esorscher
2010-04-01, 11:01 AM
"What was that scroll you picked up off the kobold?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 12:36 PM
"It's likely a spell of some sort. I suppose we might as well find out what it is." Vanya mutters a bit of arcane gibberish, and her eyes flash briefly. She takes the moment to read the scroll to assess the contents within it.

Andraste
2010-04-01, 03:08 PM
Anadri ducks behind some cover. She hands the scroll to Vanya. "I may be able to create a distraction," she tells them, "If I can get close enough, I can cause any fragile objects in an area to shatter, or I could break a single stronger object, either of which might draw their attention away from us."

Chaelos
2010-04-01, 03:11 PM
"I might be able to make it to the cover," Jak whispers. "But I'll wait until we've got an actual plan."

Mangles
2010-04-01, 03:53 PM
The scroll contains the spell Cure Light Wounds.

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 03:59 PM
Vanya grumbles as she stashes the scroll away. "It's a divine scroll with a light healing spell embedded in it. I doubt it'll do us much good right now."

Samm
2010-04-01, 05:00 PM
Anadri ducks behind some cover. She hands the scroll to Vanya. "I may be able to create a distraction," she tells them, "If I can get close enough, I can cause any fragile objects in an area to shatter, or I could break a single stronger object, either of which might draw their attention away from us."

"How close would that have to be? Also, Vanya, would it be possible to knock the sentries out with a burst of colour hile we sneak in?"

Andraste
2010-04-01, 05:53 PM
"Unfortunately, I must be 25 feet from the place that the magic affects, so it would only be useful for when we are close to them and attempting to sneak past," Anadri replies.
"If the scroll was made by a bard, I might be able to fake knowing how to use it well enough to make it work. Though, it is more likely that it was created by a divine caster, in which case I don't think I'd be perceptive enough to get it," she notes to Vanya.

Samm
2010-04-01, 08:01 PM
"Unfortunately, I must be 25 feet from the place that the magic affects, so it would only be useful for when we are close to them and attempting to sneak past," Anadri replies.
"If the scroll was made by a bard, I might be able to fake knowing how to use it well enough to make it work. Though, it is more likely that it was created by a divine caster, in which case I don't think I'd be perceptive enough to get it," she notes to Vanya.

"Hmm, doing it from here is out of the question then..."

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 08:53 PM
"Yeah, same here. It'd have to be close. We can just stay down here and pelt them with ranged artillery, and see what their response it." She smiles slyly at the suggestion, and leaves everyone to ponder if she's kidding or serious.

esorscher
2010-04-01, 09:51 PM
"Well, we're about 200 yards out from the tower, so if any of you can shoot over 600', then you've my wholehearted support. But there are definite disadvantages to the position we'd be fighting in, especially without cover." Eagan says.

"Not to mention, if these kobolds can afford advance guards and send them reinforcements, we've got to anticipate a sizable force. If we can't get across the plains unseen, we'll have to fight them all off before we catch a breath.

His eyes catch a spark as a flash of insight crosses his eye. "Look, we know what we're up against. I thought we'd be able to take this tower in one go, but it's clear to me we need to be better prepared. Let's not let our pride interfere with our rationale. Let's head back to the fort, where we'll have the safety of the guards for the night, and come tackle this again in the morning, better equipped.

"But let's not leave empty handed. Those kobolds can't shoot much farther than we can, but if we can draw a few out of the tower, slay them, and retreat without being beaten up too badly, then that will reduce the amount we have to kill tomorrow. It's not like they're going to double in number overnight.

"This is what I propose. Four of us stay back, well out of range of the archers. I'm thinking, 200', maybe 250' away from the door. I, and I was thinking you, Red," he says, pointing at the barbarian, "Run up, get a few kobolds attention, and trade blows while we retreat back to the cover of our own archers. When the time comes, we retreat--if anyone sounds it, we all go."

Samm
2010-04-01, 10:00 PM
"Yeah, same here. It'd have to be close. We can just stay down here and pelt them with ranged artillery, and see what their response it." She smiles slyly at the suggestion, and leaves everyone to ponder if she's kidding or serious.

"Unless we want to be swamped by Kobolds, I wouldn't sponsor this idea.", Robute says with a small chuckle. He then resumes, "Maybe we could sneak in as close within range of Vanya's and Anadri's abilities and then distract them while we sneak in... Or is that too hard...?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-01, 10:17 PM
"I second Eagan's idea. Let's harass them a bit, and and take off back to the fort. You know, I knew someone once who could make that shot...I'll have to ask her how she does it if I ever see her again." Vanya's violet eyes glaze over with a faraway look for a moment, before she blinks and forces herself to refocus her attention to the task at hand.

amanamana
2010-04-01, 10:37 PM
"Well, that may work." - Red ponders, after Eagan proposes the plan - "But, on the other hand, taking them tomorrow would be much more difficult, as they would be ready for us." - He looks at the others - "If we do this, and I'm not saying we shouldn't, we might be unable to take the tower for a few days later, as they would be more attentive." - He grins - "Of course we could do it just to kill some of the buggers... I don't think the world would be worse with less kobolds on it."

"Either way, I could totally go with you to harass them. I'm pretty sure I can outrun them if things get nasty."

Samm
2010-04-01, 10:38 PM
"I second Eagan's idea. Let's harass them a bit, and and take off back to the fort. You know, I knew someone once who could make that shot...I'll have to ask her how she does it if I ever see her again." Vanya's violet eyes glaze over with a faraway look for a moment, before she blinks and forces herself to refocus her attention to the task at hand.

"Yeah, that seems fair, I'd like to dive into the fray though... The excitment sounds almost too much too bear...", says Robute disappointed. He then continues, "If you want me upfront, I'll go, but if not, just make sure you don't get surrounded."

Robute then has a think, and says, "Hang-on what exactly do we have to gain by doing this stunt tommorow? I suppose Vanya will know what spells to prepare, but aside from that?"

esorscher
2010-04-01, 10:57 PM
"If you want to come with us, feel free, but bear in mind that we won't be stopping to flank until within range of our own archers--and, I'm willing to wager that a kobold isn't going to come for you if you're one of those archers; Red and I will keep them occupied. All in all, it's safer, and we won't have to worry about spreading our healing thin--the fewer of us in direct contact with the little buggers, the less of our blood is spilled. Tomorrow, when Vanya's spells are renewed, we will return, and finish the job."

Samm
2010-04-01, 11:57 PM
"If you want to come with us, feel free, but bear in mind that we won't be stopping to flank until within range of our own archers--and, I'm willing to wager that a kobold isn't going to come for you if you're one of those archers; Red and I will keep them occupied. All in all, it's safer, and we won't have to worry about spreading our healing thin--the fewer of us in direct contact with the little buggers, the less of our blood is spilled. Tomorrow, when Vanya's spells are renewed, we will return, and finish the job."

"Okay, I'll stay back then." Robute then pulls out his crossbow and loads a bolt into place. He then readies himself for combat, thinking about when to loose the first bolt, and when to drop the crossbow in favour of his swords.

Chaelos
2010-04-02, 02:32 AM
Jak shakes his head. "Two things are liable to happen if we wait for tomorrow. First, the little buggers will probably spot us and know we're coming, which will make things even more difficult--to say nothing of the fact that they'll all be awake then. But second, and even more worrying, is that whatever that... thing is that got those two kobolds back there, it's still free. And I doubt it'll spare us if it finds us waiting around until dawn."

His eyes flick to the tower. "I say we attack, now. Maybe we live, maybe we die--but it's better than being surprised and devoured at night, I say."

amanamana
2010-04-02, 02:37 AM
"If any of you want, I have a shortbow here over my backpack." - Red asks the ones that are staying - "I'll probably only throw the javelin before they get closer and then fight them on the run. The bow won't do me any good, as I would have to keep changing weapons."

"Anyone knows any good curse words in their language?"

Samm
2010-04-02, 06:24 AM
"If any of you want, I have a shortbow here over my backpack." - Red asks the ones that are staying - "I'll probably only throw the javelin before they get closer and then fight them on the run. The bow won't do me any good, as I would have to keep changing weapons."

"Anyone knows any good curse words in their language?"

"I can do better, I speak goblin, remember the reaction of the last kobold?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 07:58 AM
"Hmm, is it a composite design? Mind if I have a look at the bow?" Vanya asks. "I've been meaning to make a bow myself to take advantage of a bit of a stronger pull. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though."

OOC Vanya has 12 STR, so could use something with STR +1 pull without penalty. If it's not a STR +1 composite bow, she'll stay with her crossbow

esorscher
2010-04-02, 09:35 AM
"We're not staying out here overnight," Eagan says to Jak. "Robute, can you teach us how to say, 'My friends and I laid your mothers last night, and will not be calling on them again?'"

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 09:44 AM
"Hmm, I don't know, that might be too subtle for the kobolds." Vanya quipped as she glances up and checks to see what the kobold sentries are doing.

esorscher
2010-04-02, 10:22 AM
"On second thought, who speaks Draconic? It might be worth it just to issue a challenge to them in their native tongue."

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 11:52 AM
"I do. But, what about just dragging one of their bodies out here and throw it down where they can see it? Or, if you tell me what's an appropriate challenge, I can try my best to bait them with it."

Samm
2010-04-02, 05:02 PM
"Hmm, I don't know, that might be too subtle for the kobolds." Vanya quipped as she glances up and checks to see what the kobold sentries are doing.

"Maybe so, but that body was way back, wasn't it? It could well be nightfall before we get it..." After a little think, Robute says, "It's looking like grabbing their attention is going to be hard, at least in the way we want it... Maybe you people should dash from piece of cover to piece of cover, and deliberately get spotted, that'll make you look very suspect. But then, they might just shoot at you."

esorscher
2010-04-02, 05:19 PM
"That's fine, we want them to shoot at us. Any last words before we depart?" he says, clapping Red on the shoulder. When everyone has said their piece, he readies his bow and departs, running, making a feeble attempt to hide.

Running (x4 movement speed, -20 to hide check). Move 120' forward toward whatever cover is within range.

Hide: [roll0].

Samm
2010-04-02, 08:00 PM
"That's fine, we want them to shoot at us. Any last words before we depart?" he says, clapping Red on the shoulder. When everyone has said their piece, he readies his bow and departs, running, making a feeble attempt to hide.

Running (x4 movement speed, -20 to hide check). Move 120' forward toward whatever cover is within range.

Hide: [roll0].

Robute moves closer, following them, but more slowly, to make sure the Kobolds that are lured out of the fort are in range. He tries to stay hidden. The end result should be around 250ft from the tower. He readies his crossbow and aims it at the first Kobold to enter range that isn't in combat.

Double move action to nearest cover: 30ft of movement to keep hide bonuses. Robute will repeat this until he gets 250ft from the tower or something happens. All the hide checks necessary:

1st: Hide: [roll0]
2nd: Hide: [roll1]
3rd: Hide: [roll2]
4th:Hide: [roll3]
5th: Hide: [roll4]
6th: Hide: [roll5]
7th: Hide: [roll6]
8th: Hide: [roll7]
9th: Hide: [roll8]
10th: Hide: [roll9]
11th: Hide: [roll10]
12th: Hide: [roll11]

Andraste
2010-04-02, 09:56 PM
Anadri runs forward 120 feet, ducking down slightly but not really trying to hide.

VinGoodman
2010-04-02, 10:01 PM
Vanya follows the group, keeping pace with the artillery group and letting the lure do his thing.

Samm
2010-04-02, 10:31 PM
Robute, then realises that the rest of the group is running, so he joins in, he moves 120ft a turn.

Hide:[roll0]
Basically, ignore my earlier post, Robute isn't that bad at seeing things.

amanamana
2010-04-02, 11:21 PM
As his shortbow is just a regular one, he keeps it tied over the backpack.

A split second after Eagan departs, Red darts after him, only to outrun him a few yards later. He then slows down, to stay only a few feet in front of him. In his right hand the javelin and in his left hand the guisarme.

Just after outrunning Eagan, he turns to him and says - "When we get closer, specially after they spot us, we should run slower and more carefully, to raise our chances at dodging their bolts and arrows."

Chaelos
2010-04-03, 10:19 AM
Jak keeps his shortbow at the ready as he joins the others in a full-on sprint. He directs Horse to stay back, and to run if there's trouble.

Full movement, 4x
Hide check: [roll0]
Move Silently check: [roll1]

Samm
2010-04-05, 06:01 AM
"Uh... everyone... we've got to make sure we don't shoot Red and Dunker, shoot the Kobolds that aren't fighting them... They can probably deal with them..."

Mangles
2010-04-06, 04:10 AM
The kobolds on the top of the tower see your very obvious approach. One lines up his crossbow and fires at red and drops his crossbow. The second disappears from your view. From what you can see in the breaks in the tower, your attack has caused a commotion.

attack against red [roll0] for [roll1]

Samm
2010-04-06, 04:18 AM
"They've spotted us, ready yourselves..." Robute says with an air of slight confidence. "This plan may just work", he thinks. He looks around for Kobolds on the ground that are within range.

amanamana
2010-04-06, 04:44 AM
(OOC:Although he may have really hit with that roll, you're not accounting for distance modifiers, are you? Or are you implying that we came really close to them?)

IC:
"Son of a...!" - Red shouts, surprised by the crossbow hit on his shoulder - "I'm gonna skin you, you freaking gecko!"

The young elf seems furious. He looks around for the first kobold to show up in range of his javelin.

If there is a target without too much cover, he will attack:
Javelin [roll0]
damage [roll1]

If critical hit:
confirm [roll2]
damage [roll3]

esorscher
2010-04-06, 09:52 AM
Likewise, Eagan will fire at any kobold within his longbow's range. "Careful, Red. We can't afford too much damage."

Also, only Red and I are meant to get within range of the Kobold's in the tower. The rest of the party is meant to stay back, so we can lure them into your waiting trap.

Attack v. easiest kobold: [roll0], [roll1]
Confirm Crit: [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]

VinGoodman
2010-04-06, 10:17 AM
Vanya readies her crossbow, and waits patiently for the first kobold to enter into range.

Readied Action Against first non-melee engaged kobold to come within 80'
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Crit check if attack = 22-23
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Andraste
2010-04-06, 01:27 PM
Anadri runs forward and stops behind the front line. She prepares to blast the kobolds that come into range.

Readied action to Eldritch Blast when a kobold comes within 60 ft.

Threat on 23:
Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

OOC
(Shouldn't the kobolds get range penalties?)

Samm
2010-04-06, 06:31 PM
Robute aims the crossbow, and will fire at the second to enter range. He says, "Vanya, you aim for the first, I'll get the second."

Readied action:
Attack:
[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
If threaten on 22-23: [roll2]

Mangles
2010-04-07, 03:29 AM
The second kobold appears on the top of the tower again. Picking up up crossbow the pair aim them at the adventurers. From inside the tower the cracks start to get boarded up as tables are pushed against the holes.

anyone want to fire before the kobolds turn.

amanamana
2010-04-07, 04:16 PM
I was not aware of how much far away we were, by the fact that you hadn't accounted for range increment on your post. I can't even throw a weapon that far. Red would have to keep running. That is 160 feet/turn. He will be making full-round Run actions (x4). I'll rewrite his last action with the new one. The cursing, though, will remain.
BTW, we need a map.

Seeing that the targets are too far away for a javelin throw, the young red haired elf sprints in full speed. - "Try to give me cover!" - He shouts at the others. He runs towards the tower's wall, trying to reach an area whithout holes, to stay away from the attacks from the ones inside, even if that is not the most direct route.

Run= 160 feet.
He will try to stay out of shooting angle for those inside.

Samm
2010-04-09, 06:51 AM
I was not aware of how much far away we were, by the fact that you hadn't accounted for range increment on your post. I can't even throw a weapon that far. Red would have to keep running. That is 160 feet/turn. He will be making full-round Run actions (x4). I'll rewrite his last action with the new one. The cursing, though, will remain.
BTW, we need a map.

Seeing that the targets are too far away for a javelin throw, the young red haired elf sprints in full speed. - "Try to give me cover!" - He shouts at the others. He runs towards the tower's wall, trying to reach an area whithout holes, to stay away from the attacks from the ones inside, even if that is not the most direct route.

Run= 160 feet.
He will try to stay out of shooting angle for those inside.

"Red, don't get too close, remember to draw them out!" Robute says worried about Dunker's and Red's saftey.

Robute still will fire at the first Kobold to enter range as per my last post.

esorscher
2010-04-09, 02:41 PM
Eagan continues his run (to the second purple square), stopping just 80' from the tower. "C'mon, you scaly bastards!" he taunts the kobolds.

Mangles
2010-04-13, 03:21 PM
Red reaches the towers door without further injury. Robutes shot hits one of the crossbow kobolds and he returns fire. His friend on the tower joins him. Eagan catches up to Robute as the arrows come flying in

Red can't see the kobolds from here and neither can they see him.
Robute is 160 feet from the tower and so is Eagan.
attacks against Robute
Kobold 1 [roll0] for [roll1]
Kobold 2 [roll2] for [roll3]

Just a point. At the moment they are shooting more and for more damage than you guys are, mainly because you are missing a few players.

amanamana
2010-04-13, 03:55 PM
Red approaches the big hole where the kobolds are hidden, pressing his side to the outer wall, and swinges his guisarme inside, using its reach to stay behind cover. - "Come on, you scaly vermin! Don't make me burn this tower down!"

Guisarme [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Critical on a 24
Confirmation [roll2]
damage + [roll3]

Andraste
2010-04-13, 06:13 PM
Anadri runs toward the tower as fast as she can and prepares to slow down.
Run 120 ft, at 60ft from tower.

esorscher
2010-04-13, 08:26 PM
"Robute, fall back!" Eagan calls, rushing forward 30' and firing an arrow from his bow at one of the kobolds on the tower.

Attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]

VinGoodman
2010-04-15, 08:11 AM
Vanya continues to hold, about 180' out from the tower, and curses as she sees the ranged fire her party sustained. Despite the distance and the unlikely success, she lets loose a bolt up to the top of the tower, and reloads her crossbow.

OOC Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Please apply the appropriate penalty for this, as I'm not sure what all will apply here. Not that I expect to hit, but she could get lucky, I suppose.

Samm
2010-04-16, 01:46 AM
"Robute, fall back!" Eagan calls, rushing forward 30' and firing an arrow from his bow at one of the kobolds on the tower.

"Why? You're not retreating! They're still not in range! I'll fall back when they get closer!", Robute retorts.

esorscher
2010-04-16, 02:07 AM
"My only concern is for your safety, friend." Eagan backpedals.

Samm
2010-04-16, 02:53 AM
"Arghh". Robute feels the full force two bolts smash into him and falls over into the ground, knocked out.

Mangles
2010-04-16, 10:34 PM
Robute went down too the kobolds previouse bolts but Egans arrow strikes one of the kobolds down. The one remaining starts to reload his crossbow.

At the base of the tower Red sees a kobold 15 feet infront of him as he rounds the corner. The kobold runs towards the staircase drawing a dagger as he retreats.

on the previouse round Robute went to dying. guess he didnt realise.

VinGoodman
2010-04-16, 11:02 PM
Vanya curses as she shouts "Man down!" to alert her party members of the complication. She pulls out a potion and pours it down Robute's throat, muttering all the while. "You owe me one, human."

OOC Potion of Cure Light Wound [roll0]

Samm
2010-04-17, 06:01 PM
"Thank you..." Robute gets back up and loads his crossbow. He then falls back to the rest of the party 180ft away from the tower.

esorscher
2010-04-17, 07:17 PM
Eagan fires another arrow from his bow, aiming for the kobold atop the tower. "Hey," he calls to Red. "How many are inside?"

esorscher
2010-04-17, 07:19 PM
Forgot to roll.

[roll0], [roll1]

esorscher
2010-04-17, 08:13 PM
Critical Confirmation:

[roll0]; [roll1], [roll2]

Mangles
2010-04-17, 11:02 PM
Eagans arrow nicks the kobolds arm but doesn't stop him from reloading his crossbow.

@red The inside of the first floor of the tower is bare, grass growing up from its floor. On the north eastern corner of the tower the stair well begins and winds its way towards the door. The single kobold their managed to make it to the base of the stairs.

Andraste
2010-04-18, 12:21 PM
Realizing her allies are retreating, Anadri fires a quick blast at the kobolds, then follows suit.

Eldritch Blast: [roll0]

Then run 30 ft back

VinGoodman
2010-04-18, 01:04 PM
Glad to see Robute respond to the potion, Vanya reloads the crossbow and backs up to some cover.

amanamana
2010-04-18, 05:17 PM
Red waits to see if the others will keep coming or will retreat. He holds his guisarme in a firm grip, looking back and forth.

"So... what's up with you guys? Are you coming or what?"

Delay action. He will act if a kobold shows up or when someone from the group answers him.

VinGoodman
2010-04-18, 05:55 PM
Vanya sighs as she points up and calls out. "One more on the tower!" She fires and ducks, waiting for the return fire.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Crit check if attack = 22-23
Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Ready move action to move toward Red the moment after the return fire comes

esorscher
2010-04-18, 07:13 PM
Eagan fires another arrow at the kobold atop the tower. He calls back to the others, "The kobold's are falling back! We can take the tower in this assault! With me, hurry!"

Attack v. Kobold on roof: [roll0], [roll1]

amanamana
2010-04-18, 10:25 PM
Still holding his ground, Red warns the others:
"They have retreated inside. If we are going in, we must be ready for traps and ambushes. I have that awful feeling those buggers are ready to give us all sort of nasty surprises."

Still delaying action.

Samm
2010-04-19, 02:17 AM
Robute fires his crossbow at the kobold on the tower, and readies himself to move forward 30ft if the crossbow hits. If the crossbow doesn't hit, Robute reloads it. "This is, for that hit I took, bastard!", he yells.

Mangles
2010-04-19, 04:59 AM
Vanya's bolt strikes the kobold directing his attention towards her. He looses the bolt at Vanya

Kobold 1 [roll0] for [roll1]

VinGoodman
2010-04-19, 07:11 AM
Vanya looks down in surprise at the bolt protruding out of her chest, and the blood soon stains the area around the wound. With a sharp inhale and nothing more, she slumps to the ground helplessly.

amanamana
2010-04-19, 09:10 AM
"Aw, crap" - Red mutters when he sees Vanya falling - "I think we are done here..."

"Fall back!" - He shouts to the others and runs towards the unconscious elf. As he approaches her, he shouts again - "I'll grab her, the rest of you, run!"

The delayed action and all others will be converted in running towards Vanya, grabing her and running back to the woods. As soon as he's out of reach or behind a tree, he'll check her status.
Carrying her will put him in medium load, with a move of 30'.
EDIT: Actually, not. I think he will be on heavy load... I'll check.
EDIT: Yup, heavy load. So, he will have move 40' until picking her up and move 20' afterwards.

esorscher
2010-04-19, 10:02 AM
Eagan will fire one more arrow before falling back, at the kobold atop the tower.

[roll0], [roll1]

Andraste
2010-04-19, 06:00 PM
"No!" Anadri yells as she sees Vanya collapse. She speeds up and runs toward the forest.

Run 120 feet away from tower

Samm
2010-04-20, 02:50 AM
"Damn, she wasted that potion on me... Hang in there Vanya. Everyone, fall-back..."

Robute shoots at the kobold on the roof in a last ditch attempt to take him out. He then takes off, trying to keep up with the rest of the group. However, Robute is concerned for Vanya's safety, and if Red stops to check on her, he will run over and help.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Mangles
2010-04-20, 03:41 PM
The kobold on the top of the tower falls.

((Your guys turn again))

esorscher
2010-04-20, 03:46 PM
"To the forest," Eagan calls again, falling back to a position next to Vanya's corpse. He keeps his bow pointed at the tower, concerned at the prospect of a kobold counter-attack.

If the kobolds aren't going to attack, let's all fall back to the forest.

amanamana
2010-04-20, 05:55 PM
Red runs to the forest carrying Vanya's corpse. He seems very upset to find her dead.

"You'll be avenged, sister."

Mangles
2010-04-20, 06:34 PM
you make it to the forest without further incident.

amanamana
2010-04-20, 06:43 PM
Red gently lays Vanya's corpse on the ground and looks at the others. He has a grim look in his eyes.

"Well... she's dead." - He says, in a grave manner - "Shall we go back to the fort? We'll need some tower shields and an actual plan."

esorscher
2010-04-20, 08:03 PM
"Aye, before nightfall. Bring Vanya, we owe her a proper burial. We can take turns carrying her if you like, Red." Eagan says, heading off in the direction of the fort.

amanamana
2010-04-20, 08:44 PM
"Ain't there a horse around?" - He looks around, searching for Jak's mount - "Maybe we could place her body on it... if not, I could carry her without a problem."

As soon as this is worked out, he heads for the fort, paying attention to any signs from the woods.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Andraste
2010-04-21, 05:47 PM
Anadri mutters in elvish, "I will shred these vile creatures that have done this to you to ashes."
Turning her head, she yells in draconic "You will die!".
She follows along with the others, watching the forest for unwanted visitors.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Samm
2010-04-22, 12:54 AM
Red gently lays Vanya's corpse on the ground and looks at the others. He has a grim look in his eyes.

"Well... she's dead." - He says, in a grave manner - "Shall we go back to the fort? We'll need some tower shields and an actual plan."

"She saved my life... I'll be forever grateful..." says Robute saddened by the loss of Vanya. He then continues, "Definitely, we've got to go... let's put her body on the horse and take her back..."

He sets off, and says to himself "We'll avenge you Vanya... We'll be back..."

Robute keeps an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

spot: [roll0]
listen: [roll1]

Mangles
2010-04-22, 05:04 AM
It begins to rain on the way back to the fort, the ground becomes muddy and slows you down, still you make it just after the sun sets and without further incident. The guards show no sympathy to your plight. You can see coins exchanging hands and cries of dismay not over your dead companion but from the lost wages.

esorscher
2010-04-22, 12:46 PM
As the sun fades behind the horizon, Eagan worries about their prospects. When they make it to the gates, he can't help but be elated. Yet the reminder of Vanya's corpse brings him back to earth, and the sober realities of harsh frontier living set in. It could have just as easily been him that was the target of the kobolds' attacks. He walks over to her body, and pulls out the scroll the party took of the rest of the kobolds.

Turning to the rest of the party, he says, "What happened out there today was tragic. I admit, I did not anticipate the kobolds retreating into their tower. This was my mistake, and it cost Vanya her life. But we all were ill-prepared in the first place. This is a dangerous territory, and if we are to go out there, we need more than the potion" he pauses as the irony sinks in, "that Vanya had with her. We need a cleric with us--the scroll of Cure Light Wounds we picked up off that kobold could have saved Vanya, not to mention the cleric's own spells."

"I am not willing to let Vanya's death be in vain. It could just as easily have been one of us who died in her place. Those responsible will be punished. I will not rest until every one of those kobolds in that tower have paid for their crimes. We killed three of them today. They are scared. Tomorrow, when we return swiftly and better prepared, we will finish the job." He punches his fist into his hand.

"]Once Vanya is buried, I will go and seek out a cleric. We will be at the gates at dawn, and those kobolds will not live to regret their actions."

Looking around to the faces of the party, he says. "If you are not there, I will understand."

amanamana
2010-04-22, 02:57 PM
"Oh... I'll be there!" - The psychotic look is back in his eyes - "I'll skin each one of those geckos!"

He had been so deep in his thoughts on the way back he forgot he was hit on the shoulder. After staring at Vanya's corpse for a while, Red comes back to his senses and looks at his shoulder. Without a second thought, he pulls the crossbow's bolt off of his shoulder and inspects it. The blood runs down his arm as he looks to the others - "I'll plunge this right into their leader's forehead!"

He saves the bolt in his backpack and looks again at the elf's corpse. After a deep breath, he says, in a respectful manner - "If we are going to bury her, it would be better to do it in a wood area, not in those stony graveyards humans and dwarfs like so much. If there is no safe area, maybe we should cremate her and throw her ashes on the wild." - He looks at Anadri, doubtful - "Well... I mean... that's how my people does it. I had never met Gray Elves before. Should we do differently?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 04:48 PM
A figure comes racing to the group, stopping just short of bowling everyone over. "What happened here? Wait, isn't that Vanya? What happened to her?" Before anyone can answer, the figure kneels beside the body and checks her breath and pulse, before letting her arm fall and shaking her head.

Most of you recognize him as the non-too bright lad (lad, for an elf) who helps out in and out the kitchen back at the tavern.

And those of you who banter about with the servers and the cooks would know his name is Revion.

amanamana
2010-04-22, 05:05 PM
"Too late, man. She's dead for hours now..." - Red looks at him with some sympathy, while holding his bloody shoulder - "Were you friends?"

"We'll go after the ones responsible for this. You are welcome to follow us. If you can be useful in a fight, of course."

Andraste
2010-04-22, 06:23 PM
Anadri says gravely, "I think she might be fine to be buried in town, but I did not know her well."
Seeing the kitchen boy, she says "Greetings Ruvion. Vanya was killed by the damned Kobolds. You knew her, did you not? What do you think she would want done with her body?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 09:51 PM
"I do know what she would want, actually. Bring her body and come with me." Revion leads them by the forge, and grabs a shovel from among a pile of shovels. He waits to give the others a chance to grab shovels if they wished, and then leads them to an obscure corner of the fort where a single elven oak tree grows.

Revion points to a slight mound before the oak. "I buried Malik here at Vanya's request. I had not expected I would be burying her so soon thereafter." Revion lights two of Vanya's sunrods to give the group light to work with, and starts digging next to the slight mound.

Eventually, a sufficient hole is dug, and Revion strips Vanya and places her into the earth.

Standing before the open grave, Revion pulls out a small tome, and begins reading from it, adding Vanya's name where a name was called for.

"Today, Vanya completes her wandering here upon the earth, and returns to the folds of the one she believes in...

...with gratefulness for knowing Vanya and sorrow for the separation, we bid farewell to one who once walked among us, but now journeys on in another land."

With a heavy sigh, Revion closes the tome and places it back into his pocket. Then, the grave is covered, and the ceremony is complete.

esorscher
2010-04-22, 09:58 PM
"A beautiful ceremony," Eagan says, walking over to stand next to the elf cleric. "Her personal effects, then, Revion? Would they fall to you? Are you her next of kin?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 10:24 PM
Revion shakes his head. "Were you the last to travel with her? She has no one to pass her belongings to. As the last to travel with her, by the Dweller's edict you have the rights and obligations to her belongings. Be sure that you use them well, so that the spirit of her travels continue on."

Revion pauses and blushes slightly. "I'm sorry. I am so consumed with my meditations with the Dweller lately. You do not need to abide by Fharlanghn's edicts of course. I don't even know if it would be upheld by the sheriff here. But, knowing Vanya, I don't know if anyone really has rights to them."

"I saw a bolt wound as I prepared her. Were your cleric unable to reach her in time to stabilize her?"

esorscher
2010-04-22, 10:42 PM
"We have no cleric," Eagan says, pleased the conversation has taken this turn. As he hefts Vanya's belongings, he turns to the elf. "Do you know of any in these parts?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 11:15 PM
"Well, I suppose I am one." Barely, he thought to himself ruefully.

Still, it has been over a year since he last set foot outside the fort. Fharlanghn cannot be too pleased.

Wait, they went out without a cleric? "What were you trying to accomplish, running out into danger without a cleric to assist you? Don't you know it's dangerous out there?"

amanamana
2010-04-22, 11:18 PM
"Well... he is apparently one, even if not the kind that can use healing magic." - Red cleans the sweat from his forehead, mixing it with the blood running down his arm and the dirt from the grave he helped digging.

He looks at himself and at his belongings and sighs - "I think I should take a bath. See you guys later."

Before leaving though, he stares at all the stuff Vanya left behind. Turning to the others and to her friend, he says - "So, anyone against the notion of trading her belongings to equip ourselves for a vendetta?"

OOC: He ninja'd me.

esorscher
2010-04-22, 11:20 PM
"If you'll join us, Revion, we aim to avenge Vanya's death at dawn." Eagan takes her club, and hooks it onto his belt. "I'll be sure to smash a kobold's skull with this."

To Red, he says. "Indeed. Her spellbook is probably quite valuable, if we can find someone who'll buy it. Ask around--it's just about dinner time, maybe someone in the tavern knows something."

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 11:27 PM
OOC Revion is quite the ninja :smallbiggrin:

Revion notices the blood on Red. "Ooh, that doesn't look fully healed. May I?" He grasps the holy symbol - a disc with the mark of a horizon line and a sliver moon over it - and voices a chant that draws divine energy to his hand. He touches Red, and a flash of energy passes from Revion to Red. "How does that feel?"

He looks at the rest of the group. "Is anyone else injured?"

OOC Cure light wound [roll0]

amanamana
2010-04-22, 11:50 PM
Red looks at his shoulder, almost fully healed - "Hey... thanks. It's still kind of sored, but will be fine by tomorrow." - He rotates it twice, just to be sure.

Looking at Eagan - "If you want to dangle someone from the outer walls, I may be your guy, but bargaining is not my specialty. Maybe someone else could do this." - He takes a deep breath and looks around - "More so after I saw those guys betting on our lives... I may dangle someone from the outer walls anyway..."

VinGoodman
2010-04-22, 11:58 PM
Revion takes a quick moment to make sure everyone is ok, healing as needed. Satisfied he's done all he can, he straightens up. "I am not pleased to see the loss of an elven life to the vile creatures out there either. I will go with you, if you'll have me." He strains his brain to recount the conversation. "Tomorrow morning. I will join you in the morning. I must go prepare first."

Revion leaves the group, muttering to himself as he goes.

OOC Revion has one more cure light wound 1d8+1 and three cure minor wounds (1 hp each). Take as you need, and hopefully that'll be enough to heal most everyone here that needs it. Revion will go rest, pray and pick spells, and join with the group in the morning.

esorscher
2010-04-22, 11:58 PM
"Hey. I'm half inclined to take out a bet myself. I bet we all return, alive, tomorrow. We'd get pretty good odds. I'll go and see about selling this gear; see the rest of you at dawn at the gates."

Eagan heads off to the merchant first, if he's still open. If not, Eagan will go to the tavern, and see if anyone is interested.

Samm
2010-04-23, 12:26 AM
"I'm glad we've finally got someone who can heal... I'll stay in the tavern for tonight, and meet everyone at dawn at the gates" Robute adds.

He then moves over to Revion and says "Wait, Revion, I'm still injured; the two-bolts that hit me nearly killed me, but I was brought back from the brink..." With a sigh, he continues, "By Vanya's potion..."

OOC:

Robute needs 1 cure minor wounds potion and he should be fine by morning. Assuming that he heals 1 hp per night.

VinGoodman
2010-04-23, 01:44 AM
Revion studies the wound and calls forth another, smaller burst of healing. "Get some rest, and you should be fine come morning."

OOC Cure Minor Wounds spell for 1 HP. I assume you're down 2 HP. So heal 1 more, and then rest for 1. You should be good to go in the morning.

Mangles
2010-04-23, 05:05 AM
There is a merchant on the western edge of the fort near its entrance by the name of Grath. He sells adventurers finds to wealthy in the west and brings products back unable to be obtained at the fort. The blacksmith is closed for the night.

The local tavern is called The Brawlers Fist. Its not in the best repair as it mainly relies on adventurers passing through, which have been in short supply until you lot. The guards tend to use their private area although a few prefer the Fist.

There is also the mages guild hall, although more a token than anything else it does hold a few elderly wizards who might be interested in some purchases. Although interupting their dinner without good reason is not advised.

esorscher
2010-04-23, 09:22 AM
Eagan will first travel to Grath to attempt to sell the goods. When dinner is over, Eagan will head for the Mage's Guild if Grath does not want to buy the book.

Eagan plops down Vanya's effects, all of them, on the counter. "Evening, Grath. How's business? What can I get for this?"

Mangles
2010-04-23, 02:11 PM
Garth puts on a pair of glasses and examines the loot. "Nothing from me by the looks of it. This is what I sell to you lot when you get here. Sorry kido but my buyers back west only want the magical and strange not something that is issued to the troops."

esorscher
2010-04-23, 02:17 PM
"Magic, eh? What about this?" Eagan places the spellbook down on the counter. "27 pages dripping with magic."

Andraste
2010-04-23, 06:54 PM
Anadri comes along to help Eagan. She says to the merchant, "I'm sure that would be worth a lot to someone."
She leans over to Eagan and whispers loudly enough that Grath can hear, "If he won't give us a good price, maybe we should try the Mage's Guild. I think I heard someone there might want it."

Diplomacy:[roll0]
Bluff:[roll1]

esorscher
2010-04-23, 07:08 PM
"Good point. I hadn't thought of that." Eagan says, dutifully playing his part.

Aid Another Dipomacy: [roll0]
Aid Another Bluff: [roll1]

If successful, +2 to Anadri's rolls.

Mangles
2010-04-23, 07:43 PM
"Sorry guys. The mages would have me hanged up side down if they found out I'm taking a spell book. We all have a deal not to step on each others toes and I'm not going to be the first to break it."

esorscher
2010-04-23, 07:46 PM
"To the mages, then. We'll keep the rest of this. Have a good evening, Garth."

Eagan motions to Anadri, and heads for the door. Depending on how much time has passed, he'll either wait for a while or head straight to the mages' guild. He wants to get there just as dinner has ended, when people are still gathered but after everyone has eaten.

A man with a full stomach is more generous, Eagan reasons. Either way, at some point, he and Anadri will end up at the door to the mages' guild. When they do, he knocks.

Mangles
2010-04-24, 02:36 AM
An elderly wizard opens the door and squints out at you. "What do you want?" Before you have time to answer he calls over his shoulder. "Hey Farrel, there are people here, they don't look like gaurds."

esorscher
2010-04-24, 03:49 AM
"We got a spellbook," Eagan opens. "My friend here's a bit better with words, let her tell you about it. It's powerful stuff, though. 27 pages dripping with the arcane." He plays his part well.

Aid Another Diplomacy: [roll0]
Aid Another Bluff: [roll1]

Mangles
2010-04-24, 05:03 AM
"Spell books. Hahaha. Such a waste now days. Sure we still need them but we have long ago complied the spells we are able to cast. Nobody can cast the magics that bring real power. Not for long enough to show anyone about it." Once again he shouts over his shoulder. "Hey Ferrel. They want to give us another spell book. Apparently its dripping with arcane magics. Hahaha." He turns back to Eagan. "Well we will take it off your hands if you have no use for it. Better than giving it to the kobolds. I'll put it with the others." The wizard reaches for the book.

Samm
2010-04-24, 06:10 AM
Revion studies the wound and calls forth another, smaller burst of healing. "Get some rest, and you should be fine come morning."

OOC Cure Minor Wounds spell for 1 HP. I assume you're down 2 HP. So heal 1 more, and then rest for 1. You should be good to go in the morning.

"Thanks Revion... I'm glad your here." Robute pats him on the back and then heads off to the tavern to spend the night there, resting and regaining his strength for tommorow.

amanamana
2010-04-24, 10:36 AM
After taking a bath and cleaning his equipment, Red will trance and then head to the outer walls, where he will keep an eye on the movements in the wild, taking advantage of his low-light vision, until dawn, when he'll move to the rendezvous.

This, of course, if no one looks for him. Thanks to the fact that trancing doesn't take too long, he'll be at the walls for long hours.

esorscher
2010-04-24, 11:35 AM
"We're not giving it away," Eagan says. "1500 GP." he holds his hand out with a smile.

Andraste
2010-04-24, 01:06 PM
"I'm sure it could be useful to you somehow, like if you have a new wizard or something," Anadri says, smiling at the old mage.
"Our friend who had used it, was killed by Kobolds in the forest. We need to be able to buy some supplies so we can avenge her," she says, a bit more somberly.

Diplomacy:[roll0]

Mangles
2010-04-24, 05:29 PM
"New wizards? We haven't had a new wizard in years. You can keep the book and see what good it brings you." The wizard closes the door and you can hear him yelling to Farrel again, something about dam youngans.

esorscher
2010-04-24, 05:40 PM
Eagan knocks on the door. "If we can't get some money for this, we're keeping it. We're facing the kobolds again tomorrow--they killed our friend and they are GOING to pay--, and it's not like we're going to leave this book behind. If we die cause we couldn't afford the equipment we need, it'll fall into the hands of the kobolds. Is that something you want?"

It's a desperate effort, but who knows?

Mangles
2010-04-24, 06:27 PM
You hear nothing from the other side of the door. They either can't hear you or are ignoring you.

esorscher
2010-04-24, 06:28 PM
Eagan sighs, and turns to Anadri. "Any ideas how we can get some tower shields?"

Andraste
2010-04-24, 07:15 PM
Anadri turns to Eagan, "Let's try the merchant again now that we know the mages don't want it."
She walks back over to Garth and says, "The mages didn't want the spellbook, so they said they didn't care if you bought it. It's very valuable, and could fetch you a large profit were you to sell it somewhere."

Bluff:[roll0]

Mangles
2010-04-25, 02:14 AM
The merchant is packing up for the night when you reach him. He seems annoyed that you are back. "Unless you have something new for me, stop wasting my time."

esorscher
2010-04-25, 11:33 AM
"Well, I guess that settles it. We'll see what we can get at the tavern."

Eagan heads for the tavern, and starts asking around if anyone is interested in the spellbook. If no one takes, Eagan will head to bed, awake just before dawn and head to the gate.

Andraste
2010-04-26, 12:12 AM
Sighing, Anadri heads to the tavern and goes to sleep. She will go to the gate at dawn.

Mangles
2010-04-26, 02:55 AM
One of the troops named Balford offers you 20 gold for it. After a brief chat it seems they don't get paid very well on the border. The troops here tend to be those to old to be useful, or put here to be out of the way. Those that are in the Fist tend to be the worst off. Either ex-adventurers, reduced to scratching a living, or troops shunned even by their peers. Balford is both.

esorscher
2010-04-26, 09:35 AM
Eagan turns down the offer, and sleeps with the book under his pillow.

Mangles
2010-04-26, 05:04 PM
The night falls without any disturbance in the fort and you all awaken at dawn tomorrow refreshed and ready to start the new day. The two guards who are on picket duty sneer at you as you meet at the gates.

amanamana
2010-04-26, 06:29 PM
As Red comes down from the walls to meet with the others, he stares at those two guards, his left eye almost twitching in a psychotic gaze, and makes an effort of remembering their faces.

"How are you guys doing? What about Vanya's stuff and the tower shields?" - He asks, as he sees no shields with them.

VinGoodman
2010-04-26, 06:44 PM
Revion wakes and prepares himself for the day ahead. With his gears packed and ready, he heads out to the gate to meet with the group. "Good morning. You are...Rett?" He stretches, nearly purring, as the morning sun beams down upon them. "It's good to be out of the Fort for once. Thanks for agreeing to let me come along."

esorscher
2010-04-26, 07:27 PM
Eagan shrugs. "Suprisingly, there isn't much of a market here for the standard adventurer's kit. With no funds, we couldn't get shields. Still, with Revion here, we should be fine. We should get going as soon as everyone is here."

amanamana
2010-04-26, 09:09 PM
He looks at the cleric, perplexed - "What? Rett? Hehehe... no! It's Red, man... you know... red hair... Red." - He says, gesturing with his right hand.

When Eagan gives him the news, he says, in resignation - "If someone could lend me 5 gp, I would buy one. Maybe if I ran ahead of you people, under cover, I could draw some of them out, or at least assure a safe spot by the walls."

esorscher
2010-04-26, 09:22 PM
"I'm a silver short," Eagan says, emptying his pockets into his hand and holding it (4.9 GP) out for Red.

Andraste
2010-04-26, 10:20 PM
"Here, I got it," Anadri says, handing Red 5 gold pieces.

She makes an obscene gesture at the guards and shouts some dwarven curses at them.

esorscher
2010-04-26, 10:23 PM
Eagan pockets the gold. "Where's Robute? and Jak?"

Samm
2010-04-26, 11:20 PM
"Coming...", says Robute running down to the other adventurers. Slightly puffed he says,"I hear we're going to get towershields... if that's the case, I'm willing to... to... part with my money to do so."

amanamana
2010-04-27, 12:09 AM
"I have almost enough to buy one myself, I just asked someone to lend me 5 gp so I wouldn't be absolutely broke after it. I was saving to buy better armour, you know..." - He sighs - "Anyway... maybe if we gather our savings, we could buy more than one. That could prove useful." - He goes through his belt pouch and says, almost whispering - "I have almost 29 gold pieces."

esorscher
2010-04-27, 12:12 AM
"I've just got my meager four and nine." Eagan says.

VinGoodman
2010-04-27, 12:52 AM
"Er, how much do they want for one. I have a little over 40 golds." Caught up in the conversation and the frustration behind them, Revion found himself chiming in before he had time to think about the consequences. Why did I volunteer that? They're strangers. What if they leave me at the tower, like my old friends did? He sighs quietly, as the painful memory of that day of abandonment resurfaces.

esorscher
2010-04-27, 12:53 AM
"That's quite generous of you to offer, Revion." Eagan says, clapping the elf on the back.

VinGoodman
2010-04-27, 12:56 AM
Revion smiles awkwardly as the warmth of that sentiment washes over his entire being. These are good people. Remember how they hurt over Vanya? They're good people, Revion.

Samm
2010-04-27, 01:46 AM
"Er, how much do they want for one. I have a little over 40 golds." Caught up in the conversation and the frustration behind them, Revion found himself chiming in before he had time to think about the consequences. Why did I volunteer that? They're strangers. What if they leave me at the tower, like my old friends did? He sighs quietly, as the painful memory of that day of abandonment resurfaces.

"I have close to fifty... My work as a stone-mason pays rather well.", says Robute with a small chuckle. His face then turns sombre as he thinks, "I hope this strategy with the towershields works much better than last time..."

amanamana
2010-04-27, 10:38 AM
"So... are we going for this then? Apparently, we have enough money to three or more of those shields. I don't think we'll need more than two."

He thinks for a while - "Two of us could run ahead and secure the Tower's entrance. They didn't seemed eager to run out last time."

He turns to Eagan - "Can you fight wielding a tower shield? I'm not trained to use those things in close combat but, if you are, we could do some damage to them after getting to the Tower. You wield the shield and your sword and I go from behind using my polearm to attack those nearing you. This way, we could hold the entrance until the others came. The ones at the top would have to choose between securing the top or coming down to help the others... and if we find that holding the ground floor won't be too hard, we could do it while they come."

esorscher
2010-04-27, 02:04 PM
"Sure can. I wonder, if I held the shield and used it as total cover, could you attack from behind me and gain some of the benefit of the cover?"

Andraste
2010-04-27, 05:47 PM
"I have but 14 gold pieces, and I doubt I would be able to carry such a large shield. I definitely wouldn't be able to use my magic very well, though I would lose nothing by it failing."

OOC
I'm right at the limit for light load, and I'm not proficient with shields.

amanamana
2010-04-28, 12:21 AM
"You wouldn't need to cast or even fight, just run up to the tower using the tower shield as cover from the ranged attacks."

"We could also run up to the walls carrying a ladder or ropes with hooks. If I remember well, the Tower isn't that high. While the others use some supression fire, we try to get to the top. A ladder would probably be better, as they could cut ropes without much effort, and we could run holding one end of the it with one hand and the tower shield with the other. . Kobolds aren't that strong and probably would fail to push the ladder under fire in little time. They will have to focus on pushing it or shooting the others, that would start approaching the moment we get there."

"They probably aren't ready for an attack that goes from the top to the ground floor, which could give us an edge in a already so hard invasion. We should expect the Tower to be full of traps, as those geckos are ingenious little buggers."

"Of course, we would need to commission such a long ladder.

Samm
2010-04-28, 12:28 AM
"Right... So, once you and Eagan are on the battlements, do we move in? Or should we be with you and him the whole time? I myself can't use towershields in combat by the way... And you'd think the Kobolds wouldn't put booby traps in their own tower right? Only stuff that they can activate... when they choose..." , says Robute thoughtfully.

esorscher
2010-04-28, 12:36 AM
"We'll stick together. These kobolds aren't going to be drawn out into open combat, we should've known that. They'll fight when they have the advantage. Once we reach the tower, Red and I can scale the battlements while you four provide us covering fire from below--if we haven't already killed the kobolds atop the roof. As I recall, a good hit would fell one. Robute, I'd expect there to be traps. Can you find them?"

VinGoodman
2010-04-28, 08:26 AM
"I'll go with you Eagan. I may be more useful to you and Red. You two will be in harm's way." Revion suggested.

amanamana
2010-04-28, 11:46 AM
"The way I see it, just the ones going in the first wave need tower shields. We get there under cover and, as we try to set the conditions to climb, the others will approach with suppression fire. That way, the defenders on the top will need to choose between avoiding our climb and shooting back."

"Last time, after getting to the walls, they couldn't shoot me. To be able to do this, they would need to lean over the walls and become easier targets. After we get there, one of us could start positioning the ladder, if we are not using ropes, while the other one or two ready ranged weapons to attack any kobold that show his head. At the same time, as I said before, the ones at the distance will be closing the gap, while firing at the ones at the top."

VinGoodman
2010-04-28, 11:55 AM
"Wouldn't climbing make us helpless targets if they decide to risk it?"

esorscher
2010-04-28, 11:56 AM
"Sounds good, Red. My vote is for the ladder, but we'll need one that's at least 30' tall."

amanamana
2010-04-28, 04:40 PM
"Mostly yes, Revion, that's why I said we need to try killing them before we get up. Either way, it's not a big climb and won't take much time."

"The ones that will be close to the wall can get ready to shoot anyone who try to attack the one climbing. It won't be too hard, specially if we get a ladder, because we can climb it holding a shield over our heads with one hand. Of course, if there are survivors on the top, the first to get there will have to hold his ground before the rest get there."