PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Dungeons

Dave Hartwick
2010-03-28, 09:27 AM
Desktop Dungeons is I guess what they call a short form roguelike, as in, a full game can be played and won in less than 10 minutes if you're quick. It's awesome and kept me up late last night trying to get prepped for a respectable ranked game-- your score goes on a website.

You should find a much better summation and a link to the latest version here. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/22/scratching-the-surface-desktop-dungeons/)

Knaight
2010-03-28, 12:28 PM
Looks like an easier version of the DROD RPG. Look at the demo of that, its very similar.

Ziren
2010-03-29, 11:12 AM
It'sa fun little game, but the challenges seem to be far out of league...

Eloel
2010-03-29, 12:26 PM
I just downloaded it and started playing.
Superb little game - thanks for sharing it with us :smallsmile:

Tavar
2010-03-29, 06:58 PM
Is it possible to beat the Super Meat Man? Looking at his stats, I don't see how, but maybe I'm missing something.

Ziren
2010-04-02, 06:35 AM
Is it possible to beat the Super Meat Man? Looking at his stats, I don't see how, but maybe I'm missing something.

I did it for the first time today (also finishing my first run in the factory). Monk + Poison seem to do the trick, but without poison, I don't see a way to do it.

Eloel
2010-04-02, 12:35 PM
I did it for the first time today (also finishing my first run in the factory). Monk + Poison seem to do the trick, but without poison, I don't see a way to do it.

I did it with Paladin. Between HALPMEH, 4-5 mana pots, 4-5 health pots, Pactmaker as a god starting at L1, Level 9, a few items (+10% physical defense, +5 Attack), as a Human who traded in all other glyphs for attack bonuses, it still drained all my resources.

I don't see how one can do Factory with Wizard, Snake pit with Monk or Crypt with Assassin though. Those are the 'challenge's I need to do to get a 'complete unlock'

Dave Hartwick
2010-04-02, 03:06 PM
I did it with Paladin. Between HALPMEH, 4-5 mana pots, 4-5 health pots, Pactmaker as a god starting at L1, Level 9, a few items (+10% physical defense, +5 Attack), as a Human who traded in all other glyphs for attack bonuses, it still drained all my resources.

I don't see how one can do Factory with Wizard, Snake pit with Monk or Crypt with Assassin though. Those are the 'challenge's I need to do to get a 'complete unlock'

Monks are awesome. Try a dwarf if you haven't already. If you have, keep trying. The key ability is the fast healing rate...

Plus, the more you beat the challenges with different classes, the easier it gets to win, especially having more shops and more gold to spend.

Running a goblin wizard on normal is a good way to stock up on gold. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to put in a spoiler box, but better to be safe than annoy somebody needlessly.

Ziren
2010-04-03, 04:15 AM

I need only the wizard factory and the warlord library - the second seems easy enough, but I always get screwed over items and altars when I try that one.

Eloel
2010-04-03, 06:57 AM
Running a goblin wizard on normal is a good way to stock up on gold. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to put in a spoiler box, but better to be safe than annoy somebody needlessly.

Try a Goblin Assassin/Bloodmage/Paladin. You get free 10 gold to start with ;)

The problem with Monk/SnakePit is the Weakness thing those monsters have going - it makes being dwarf obsolete.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-04-03, 12:13 PM
How do you save your profile? I am really enjoying this, but I would rather not have everything get erased everytime I need to close it.

Dave Hartwick
2010-04-04, 02:37 AM
Ozgun92, yes, you have to avoid snakes unless you figure you'll level up right after. I generally wouldn't waste a healing potion if I could avoid it.

Myatar, I haven't run into that one, but I think the firewall at work keeps me from posting my scores online. Maybe try another computer and see if the problem persists.

eggynack
2011-03-16, 05:34 AM
I need only the wizard factory and the warlord library - the second seems easy enough, but I always get screwed over items and altars when I try that one.

Wizard factory runs are tough but doable if you go straight from one to six with animated armor. Or you could do what I did and just polymorph the whole thing. With a ton of weytwuts and a single boon a challenge dungeon turns back into a regular dungeon. Library/warlord is really easy though, mostly because the library itself is so simple. One fun trick is utilizing the pactmaker's love of early game exploration and change the imps from annoying creatures that warp into nothingness into a low statted source of high xp kills.

Cogwheel
2011-03-16, 05:38 AM
Wizard factory runs are tough but doable if you go straight from one to six with animated armor. Or you could do what I did and just polymorph the whole thing. With a ton of weytwuts and a single boon a challenge dungeon turns back into a regular dungeon. Library/warlord is really easy though, mostly because the library itself is so simple. One fun trick is utilizing the pactmaker's love of early game exploration and change the imps from annoying creatures that warp into nothingness into a low statted source of high xp kills.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you even find a year-old thread to raise from the dead?