PDA

View Full Version : Adding armor bonus to a cloak?

gallagher
2010-03-28, 11:15 AM
I remember reading on here some time ago that it is possible to add armor bonuses to a standard every day cloak. Does anyone know how this is possible? Also, how much does it cost?

Riffington
2010-03-28, 11:18 AM
I remember reading on here some time ago that it is possible to add armor bonuses to a standard every day cloak. Does anyone know how this is possible? Also, how much does it cost?

A masterwork robe has an armor bonus of +0, an ACP of 0, and an infinite max dex bonus. Enchant it like you would any other armor. It's possible that this causes problems for the monk, but not for the wizard.

sofawall
2010-03-28, 11:52 AM
I'm fairly certain you have to use Magic Vestment to enchant clothing.

Fishy
2010-03-28, 12:06 PM
Clothing isn't normally enchantable, no. There is, however, the Gnome Battle Cloak, which can be enchanted like a shield. You're probably going to be non-proficient in it, which means you take a penalty on attack rolls eaqual to its Armor Check Penalty. Which is 0. So.

gallagher
2010-03-28, 12:39 PM
Clothing isn't normally enchantable, no. There is, however, the Gnome Battle Cloak, which can be enchanted like a shield. You're probably going to be non-proficient in it, which means you take a penalty on attack rolls eaqual to its Armor Check Penalty. Which is 0. So.will this take my monk bonuses to armor and footspeed away? the main idea behind this is to beef up my armor bonus so my AC isnt reminiscent of a dragons touch AC

NekoJoker
2010-03-28, 12:47 PM
Mmmh, I have been researching this same thing for some time, and I found the following. Extracted from this very forum.

***I like the high AC Cloistered Cleric. There's a nice little wrinkle in the rules that helps here.

1) Start with the right clothing.
Quote:
Scholar’s Outfit

Perfect for a scholar, this outfit includes a robe, a belt, a cap, soft shoes, and possibly a cloak.
2) Next, enhance the robe with an armor bonus (up to +8), as per Magic Item Compendium page 234. This works exactly the same as Bracers of Armor; the "Adding/Improving Common Item Effects" table allows armor bonuses in both Arms (bracers) and Body (robe) slots.

3) Next, you can add an armor enhancement bonus on top of the armor bonus if you cast Magic Vestment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Vestment
You imbue a suit of armor or a shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5 at 20th level).

An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this spell.
4) Finally, realize that your armor boost (up to +13 already) isn't from actual armor at all, and thus you can still wear a Monk's Belt to get (1 + WIS bonus) more AC!

Hope this helps out.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-28, 12:54 PM
Extracted from this very forum, I'm sorry i do not remember the name of the original poster.
That would be me.

This doesn't solve the OP's problem, which was to add armor bonuses to a Shoulders slot item (cloak). Robes are Body slot items. Magic Item Compendium opened up the armor bonus used in Bracers of Armor to allow both Arms and Body items, but with Shoulders items you're still going to have to deal with the uncustomary space 1.5x cost multiplier, plus you can't have other magic on the same item without an additional cost penalty. And, as a fully custom item, you'll have to take the appropriate crafting feat (Craft Wondrous Item) and make it yourself.

Otodetu
2010-03-31, 07:17 AM
magic vestment and enhanced robes do not stack. (Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.)

So bracers of armour and magic vestment do not stack.

But i guess you can enhance a masterwork cloak like a suit of armour, but that would be a custom item so pass it by your dm first.

this non-core presumption is also supported by the magic vestment spell: An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this spell.

Edit: i just read through the earlier facts about enhancing robes and later use magic vestment to increase the armour bonus on them, and by raw it horribly enough looks like it works, can this be right?

Escheton
2010-03-31, 12:27 PM
There is already a warwizard cloak with a +4 ac and some other stuff, and a cloak of battle, both in magic item comp

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-31, 12:32 PM
will this take my monk bonuses to armor and footspeed away? the main idea behind this is to beef up my armor bonus so my AC isnt reminiscent of a dragons touch AC

Yes, it counts as a shield for those purposes.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-31, 03:26 PM
Edit: i just read through the earlier facts about enhancing robes and later use magic vestment to increase the armour bonus on them, and by raw it horribly enough looks like it works, can this be right?
What's so horrible about it? It's not going to match the AC attainable with mountain plate armor, and yet it's going to be both considerably more expensive and subject to magical dispel. This just seemed to me to be a nice boost for scholarly Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Clerics, who only have d6 hit dice and light armor proficiency.

Otodetu
2010-03-31, 06:23 PM
What's so horrible about it? It's not going to match the AC attainable with mountain plate armor, and yet it's going to be both considerably more expensive and subject to magical dispel. This just seemed to me to be a nice boost for scholarly Cloistered (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Clerics, who only have d6 hit dice and light armor proficiency.

I agree. It's just sort of optimized :P

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-31, 07:04 PM
There is also a spell that you can enchant a cloak with, that gives you +4 insight to AC, DR 20/evil, SR, and a couple other goodies. It's in SC I think.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-31, 07:31 PM
I agree. It's just sort of optimized :P
Well, that was my goal. :smallsmile:

gallagher
2010-03-31, 07:39 PM
Well, that was my goal. :smallsmile:

and i believe you accomplished said goal