PDA

View Full Version : Spell-Cannons(3.5e)

PersonMan
2010-03-28, 11:59 AM
For one of the final battles of a campaign I'm running, I'm planning on the BBEG who comes from the future/alternate future plane to pilot a heavily modified mech equipped with magical weaponry.

Effectively, it'll be loaded with wands and magical gear which it will use instead of cannons and guns. I need to know what spells will be good for this sort of thing. I have the SpC and PHB for use.

So far I have the following spells chosen:
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Magic Missile
Scorching Ray
Disintegrate
Orbs of X

Emmerask
2010-03-28, 12:02 PM
cloudkill, stinking cloud

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-03-28, 12:20 PM
Heroes of Battle has some good arcane artillery in it. I'll see if I can find some examples for you (after my kids go to sleep).

Starbuck_II
2010-03-28, 12:24 PM
For one of the final battles of a campaign I'm running, I'm planning on the BBEG who comes from the future/alternate future plane to pilot a heavily modified mech equipped with magical weaponry.

Effectively, it'll be loaded with wands and magical gear which it will use instead of cannons and guns. I need to know what spells will be good for this sort of thing. I have the SpC and PHB for use.

So far I have the following spells chosen:
Fireball
Lightning Bolt
Magic Missile
Scorching Ray
Disintegrate
Orbs of X

Slime Wave? Shoots a blast of green slime to dissolving everything (Con damage to living) in a 15 ft area.
Sound Lance: Sonic gun!
Vitriolic Sphere: Acid Fireball, no SR.
Avasculate? Is that overkill...
Blast of Force: damages/prones foes.
Chain Missile (missiles that chain additional targets)
Cyclonic Blast: Wind blasts that can knock enemies back some feet.
FireBrand? Makes individual squares of fireballs.
Inferno: make individual target on fire.
Freeze: ray deals damage + freezes them.

Hecore
2010-03-28, 12:36 PM
Energy substituted Cone of Cold for a flamethrower? (Or Burning Hands for pitiful damage)
Invisibility?

PersonMan
2010-03-28, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys.

I'm surprised that I missed that many good spells...

Human Paragon 3
2010-03-28, 01:00 PM
Enervation
Glitterdust

Maximized, empowered enervation
Widened Glitterdust.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-03-28, 01:31 PM
OK, actually all the stuff in Heroes of Battle has already been mentioned here, except for various projectiles, like clay balls that have acid, holy/unholy water, or swarms of spiders inside. The are also adamantine-tipped ballista bolts which could be fun.

The other thing I don't see mentioned is sonic energy spells.

Eurus
2010-03-28, 02:00 PM
Sound Lance is decent for sonic damage. I'm also a big fan of Great Thunderclap.

AslanCross
2010-03-28, 05:15 PM
Earth Reaver's good at tossing grunts.
Defenestrating Sphere is too.