PDA

View Full Version : Hellreaver Optimization

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-28, 01:05 PM
Does anyone have some good ideas for a Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex 2) build?
So far the only thing I can think of that would synergise well with it is crusader, with some kind of CON damage reducer (Strongheart vest or a Binder dip come to mind) so that I will always have max holy fury. Anyone got a good build?

BenTheJester
2010-03-28, 02:35 PM
Something like Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2/Hellreaver could work.

Just focus on getting as much charisma as you can. I guess Paladin 2/Cleric 2/OC 2 could work too if you want cha to saves(getting level 2 cleric spells instead of level 3)

arguskos
2010-03-28, 02:39 PM
KNIGHT!! Knight/Hellreaver makes a hellagood tank character. You can draw aggro, heal yourself/allies, and have a crapton of life, and petty solid defenses too.

I love Hellreaver as a tanking prestige class, since it gives tanks a good use of their swift actions. I find that highly valuable.

As for the Con damage for Holy Fury thing, it's actually not that necessary. You'd think it would be, but thanks to Knight and Hellreaver both having a Cha focus, you can actually get a good Cha score in there and you'll have plenty of holy fury to toss around.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-28, 04:11 PM
Something like Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2/Hellreaver could work.

Just focus on getting as much charisma as you can. I guess Paladin 2/Cleric 2/OC 2 could work too if you want cha to saves(getting level 2 cleric spells instead of level 3)

Well, if I did go paladin, I'd probably go prestige pally, although my DM would probably let me use the PF paladin, so I might just go with that.

KNIGHT!! Knight/Hellreaver makes a hellagood tank character. You can draw aggro, heal yourself/allies, and have a crapton of life, and petty solid defenses too.

I love Hellreaver as a tanking prestige class, since it gives tanks a good use of their swift actions. I find that highly valuable.

As for the Con damage for Holy Fury thing, it's actually not that necessary. You'd think it would be, but thanks to Knight and Hellreaver both having a Cha focus, you can actually get a good Cha score in there and you'll have plenty of holy fury to toss around.

I was turned off of knight because it, well generally sucks. I guess a 5 level start up before entering Hellreaver wouldn't be that bad though.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-28, 04:16 PM
Not that it especially synergizes with Hellreaver abilities, but if you're focused on fighting various fiends with their Spell-like abilities, the Mage slayer feat tree should work nicely. Granted, those feats are pretty expensive.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 04:17 PM
I was turned off of knight because it, well generally sucks. I guess a 5 level start up before entering Hellreaver wouldn't be that bad though.
Knight's actually better than you might think. I've played one from around level 4 to level 13 before, and found them pretty fun and decently powerful. Person_Man did an excellent Knight Handbook around here somewhere, for details.

FishAreWet
2010-03-28, 04:19 PM
Binder 1/Crusader 5/Healreaver 10/Crusader +4

Stay simple. Stay strong.

true_shinken
2010-03-28, 04:46 PM
I have a Barbarian/Hellreaver in my party, he performs pretty decently

Keld Denar
2010-03-28, 05:11 PM
Barbarian1/Fighter4 is a pretty strong option. Lots of feats to throw around to get in a mechanic like Tripping or Charging. Barb1 with Extra Rage allows to to add some fury to your holy fury like a bad yo dawg pun.

If you want a more Cha focused approach, you could do something like Ex-Hexblade4/Fighter(or Barb)1 or Pal4/Fighter1. The former gets you the Dark Companion ACF from PHBII to debuff foes a bit, while the later picks up Turn Undead, a GREAT tool for channeling [Divine] feats which allow you to swing your Cha score like a weapon. Both pick up Cha to saves, and Hexblade gives you Mettle.

The Crusader start is pretty snazzy though, I gotta admit.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-28, 06:25 PM
I was thinking of going plain cleric5/hellreaver, maybe with a sprinkling of crusader, but my question now is: Do you think giving the Hellreaver 1/2 caster progression would be too powerful? I just don't like completely giving up casting when I enter it.

FishAreWet
2010-03-28, 06:27 PM
'too powerful' only makes sense if you give us the optimization level of the rest of the group

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-28, 06:28 PM
'too powerful' only makes sense if you give us the optimization level of the rest of the group

True Dat. What about next to a straight warblade or sorcerer? Assuming mild-medium optimization.

FishAreWet
2010-03-28, 06:52 PM
Still have no idea what medium or mild means to you.

Half progression would probably do fine in that group. As long as you didn't Ur Priest or anything.

Ernir
2010-03-28, 08:21 PM
Hmm.

Barbarian 2/Fighter 2/Crusader 2/Hellreaver 10? A 16-level build could look like this:

{table]Level|Class|Feat [Source]
1|Barbarian 1| Educated [1], Extra Rage [Human]
2|Barbarian 2|
3|Fighter 1| Power Attack [Fighter 1], Intimidating Rage [3]
4|Fighter 2| Improved Bull Rush [Fighter 2]
5|Crusader 1|
6|Hellreaver 1|Shock Trooper [6]
7|Hellreaver 2|
8|Crusader 2|
9|Hellreaver 3| Imperious Command [9]
10|Hellreaver 4|
11|Hellreaver 5|
12|Hellreaver 6| Leap Attack [12]
13|Hellreaver 7|
14|Hellreaver 8|
15|Hellreaver 9| Extra Granted Maneuver? [15]
16|Hellreaver 10|[/table]

You are a competent charger, have a splash of maneuvers (and the second Crusader level is timed to give you free Thicket of Blades) and the ability to cause a fear-lockdown through Imperious Command when you Rage. Make sure you grab the Never Outnumbered skill trick when you can.

You could perhaps finish with Crusader levels?

Where's the Hellreaver synergy? Well, mostly it's that none of the classes or feats I listed need your Swift actions, which is what makes Hellreaver tick. And you have room to focus on "nothing" but your Strength, Constitution, and Charisma. (The last one works especially well with an Imperious Command guy). Not the most powerful stuff ever, but I think it should work at the power level of most games I've seen.

Imperious Command is from Drow of the Underdark, Leap Attack in Complete Adventurer, Extra Granted Maneuver is in ToB, Educated in the Eberron Campaign Setting, and the rest are in Complete Warrior.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-28, 08:28 PM
Nice, but why educated? Can't you fulfill the skill requirements cross-class? Or is it for something else?

Also: What do you guys think about a base class version of the Hellreaver? What adjustments would need to be made?

Ernir
2010-03-28, 08:35 PM
Nice, but why educated? Can't you fulfill the skill requirements cross-class? Or is it for something else?

Huh, I misremembered. Hellreaver only requires 4 ranks in Know: The Planes, I thought it was 8. So no need for being educated.

You could take Able Learner instead, or just soak up the cost of cross-class skills. Or something more fear or combat-related. Or something thematically appropriate to your character. You can always find a use for a "free" feat.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-28, 08:37 PM

Also: What do you guys think about a base class version of the Hellreaver? What adjustments would need to be made?
This is going to be a hideous mishmash:
Take a paladin, remove the Lawful good requirement. Only needs to be Good.
Replace smite evil with a Smite fiend. Perhaps give him an extra usage or two per day to make up for the fact that his smite is now much more limited.
Perhaps a favored enemy every 5 levels. Except each one applies to a specific type of fiend, Marilith, Succubus, Vrock etc. Instead of just FE: Tanar'ri or Baatezu.
Skills: Knowledge planes. Umm.... plus others.
I'm not too good at homebrew, but this sounds like a decently powerful fiend killer that's not overpowered. (Though it's still just as MAD as the paladin)

Huh, I misremembered. Hellreaver only requires 4 ranks in Know: The Planes, I thought it was 8. So no need for being educated.

You could take Able Learner instead, or just soak up the cost of cross-class skills. Or something more fear or combat-related. Or something thematically appropriate to your character. You can always find a use for a "free" feat.

Improved initiative? Can always shift your feats from levels 1-5 up a little, now put use your character 3, or fighter 2 feat for something with prereqs: Cleave?