PDA

View Full Version : Would you have turned to the Dark side?

Ichneumon
2010-03-28, 01:19 PM
So, I have to ask, what is the likelihood you, as a person, would have turned to the Dark Side, if you'd been a Jedi?

Me? I could see it happen, if my motivations would be strong enough. In a sense, I can even see the Jedi as the "wrong side" of the conflict, after watching the prequel trilogies... I mean, denying your emotions and all of that.:smalltongue:

EDIT: I think this might fit better in Media, instead of Friendly Banter...

golentan
2010-03-28, 02:02 PM
No, but I would have used dark side powers. Grey Jedi all the way.

Both the sith and the jedi are evil, using their power to harm others. Letting their power use them, or letting their fear of the dark side do the same. I know better than to hate, but I do know my anger is a potent weapon when necessary and controlled.

Yay for opposing evil! Jedi and Sith alike!

Moff Chumley
2010-03-28, 02:15 PM
That depends: do they have cookies?

arguskos
2010-03-28, 02:21 PM
Hell yes. The Dark Side has the best Force powers. Force Storms and whatnot. Also, red lightsabers>blue or green ones. White is the best, but I only know of one canon character who wielded a white lightsaber, and that was Darth Bane for a short period of time.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 02:23 PM
I'd be hardcore emotional light-sider, stuck with the worst force powers.

My lightsaber would probably be royal blue, since that's my favorite color.

I'd be a healbot or something. :smallsigh:

The good:
I'm not a jedi
I'm well-loved
Royal blue

The bad:
Weak powers
Probably have to listen to droids beep and bloop more

The ugly:
Luke

Silly Wizard
2010-03-28, 02:25 PM
If I was a Jedi, I would definitely turn to the Dark Side. I see the Jedi Order as a brainwashing cult dedicated to pursuing its idea of moral righteousness at the expense of democracy (it seems to me that the Jedi Order had a strong amount of authority and power over the "democracy" of the Galactic Republic).

Of course, if I was given a choice, I'd be a force-sensitive Mandalorian. I don't need to train my force powers, I'd just let it run it's "good luck" ability in combat.

Remmirath
2010-03-28, 03:03 PM
Given that I anger very easily, I'm guessing that I would, if unintentionally. I'd probably be one of those who thinks that they're doing the right thing, but eventually flips out and does something extreme.
Also, I doubt I'd be able to resist the urge to Force Choke people I don't like.

Tirian
2010-03-28, 03:06 PM
I didn't get into the prequels or the latter stuff in the EU, but has there ever been a Sith Lord who would have looked back on it at the end and thought "Man, that sure was the right career choice for me!" Ben and Yoda were all green and happy at the end of ROTJ and I just have this sense that Palpatine was red and surly somewhere and less powerful than I could possibly imagine.

So, I might kvetch a little, but sign me up for sticking with the program.

TheThan
2010-03-28, 03:08 PM
It depends on what era.

If we’re talking about old republic Jedi, about the time of obi wan, I’d probably fall to the dark side. They do come off as a brainwashing cult with far too much power over purely political affairs. Plus I don’t like the way they deal with a Jedi’s family and the whole “attachment is forbidden” point of view is pure hogwash if you ask me.

Now if we’re talking post new order, when master Luke is reestablishing the Jedi. I would probably not fall, despite the general arrogance and asshatness of a lot of the younger Jedi, they do have good teachings and create solid family foundations, so that it would be much harder for some Jedi to find himself alone in the world and beginning to hate things. Not to mention most of the really awesome characters exist in that time (Mara Jade, Corran Horn, Anakin Solo, etc).

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-28, 03:08 PM
http://johnmichaelboling.com/artforgeorgelucas/wp-content/original/2009_09/darth_vader_cookie_monster.jpg

Force
2010-03-28, 03:12 PM
Under what situation? I would guess that, raised as a Jedi from birth, we would be extremely different people from what we are now; thus, our chances of falling to the Dark would be very low.

In real life, given Jedi powers and a lightsaber, I'd probably fall fairly quickly. There are some wrongs that I'd like to right in this world and interfering too hastily tends to lead one Down the Dark Path.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-28, 03:18 PM
I'd fall, I'd fall hard, and no amount of Force powers would soften the blow. I'm an ******** and a fanatic for lighting, the Dark Side is my kinda place.

Coidzor
2010-03-28, 03:18 PM
100%. That way I'd be able to get away from all of the other namby-pamby whiny force users.

I mean, the light side is a bunch of jerks, and the dark side is made up of cacklers and soccer hooligans, but at least you can get away from them breathing down your neck as long as you don't have a fancy title.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 03:20 PM
I'd fall, I'd fall hard, and no amount of Force powers would soften the blow. I'm an ******** and a fanatic for lighting, the Dark Side is my kinda place.
Weeeeeeeeell, there IS Light Side Lightning (it's called Electric Judgment).

Solaris
2010-03-28, 03:21 PM
I'd have to say I'd fall hard and leave a crater. It's not that I'm bad - I'm not nice, but there's a difference between 'good' and 'nice' - it's that I am a very, very angry person.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-28, 03:24 PM

Really? Hmm,...this muddies the waters a bit.

Maybe go Grey Jedi (Chaotic Good ftw :smallbiggrin:)

chiasaur11
2010-03-28, 03:27 PM
Jedi?

Pah.

Hockey religons and ancient weapons are no match for a blaster by your side.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-28, 03:29 PM
Jedi?

Pah.

I feel this guy might disagree :smalltongue:
http://www.forceunleashed.net/images/shot01.jpg

Temotei
2010-03-28, 03:31 PM

Sweet. :smallcool:

SDF
2010-03-28, 03:35 PM
I don't like the idea of my body falling apart on me because I'm not a nice person.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-28, 03:46 PM
This would probably shock and confuse a number of my friends, but no. I would not turn evil. Not no evil not no how not siree.

If I'm a member of the Space Knights then I'm no more likely to betray them then I am take regular lava baths.

I do not betray officially certified hells-bitchin' groups that take me in and that is why by the looks of things the rest of this thread is going to tag team me :smalleek:

chiasaur11
2010-03-28, 03:48 PM
I feel this guy might disagree :smalltongue:
http://www.forceunleashed.net/images/shot01.jpg

This guy, however, would agree with me.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090516013516/starwars/images/8/8c/RC1138boss.jpg

My side has the better game.

OverdrivePrime
2010-03-28, 03:48 PM
I'm altruistic to the core - I can't even play evil characters in D&D without getting terribly uncomfortable. Evil and anger just seem terribly unproductive and short sighted to me. I have trouble DMing sometimes, because even my BBEGs have motivations for good causes, just lots of emotional scarring.

I used to be pretty angry when I was a teenager, but I've long since got a lock on that. My lightsaber would be as cobalt blue as they come.

absolmorph
2010-03-28, 03:51 PM
I'd be a horrible Jedi.
So, Dark Side would probably be my place. I wouldn't use Force Lightning (way to risky; did you see what it did to Palpatine?), even though I'd want to. I'd stick to a blaster or light saber. A purple light saber, to be specific :smallcool:
I wouldn't be a typical Dark-sider, though. I'm not evil. I'm more good, to be honest. I just have a mean streak a mile long. And a lot of negative emotion.

Closak
2010-03-28, 03:54 PM
The first thing i would do would probably be to hunt down all the corrupt politicians in the world and force choke the crap out of them.

After that i think i get revenge on those bullies who always pick on me and my siblings.

Then i probably go berserk on all the large corporations who contribute to causing pollution.

Uhh...yeah.
Well-Intentioned Extremist...

Johel
2010-03-28, 04:13 PM
More basically, would anyone, if given enough power to avoid accountability for his actions, abuse such power ? Answer is yes.

Who wouldn't ? You don't have to be actually evil, though you might eventually become corrupt. It's just that you can do what you want and have no remorse about it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-28, 04:16 PM
More basically, would anyone, if given enough power to avoid accountability for his actions, abuse such power ? Answer is yes.

Who wouldn't ? You don't have to be actually evil, though you might eventually become corrupt. It's just that you can do what you want and have no remorse about it.

Yo usaid it, you can do what you want without remorse. Doesn't mean everyone would.[/borderline flaming]

Coidzor
2010-03-28, 04:18 PM
Your comments on a lack of accountability remind me of a certain video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzpByR3MvI)

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-28, 04:21 PM
Grey Jedi all the way. :smallcool:

golentan
2010-03-28, 04:22 PM

Ridiculous. I have enough power to avoid accountability, and I don't exercise it. I know other people in similar boats. Remorse and guilt aren't about getting caught, they're about empathy. If you're only feeling guilty because you might get punished later, you have no idea what the rest of us are talking about when we say guilt.

As much as I can't believe I'm saying this, go watch the South Park episode "Toilet Paper."

hamishspence
2010-03-28, 04:23 PM
I do think that the Jedi (in the prequels) seem to distance themselves far too much from the world around them- they serve society, but they aren't really members of society.

In the novel Ambush at Corellia (Book 1 in the Corellian Trilogy, by Roger Macbride Allen), Mon Mothma gives Luke a pointed lecture on how the Jedi shouldn't be isolationist:

"There must be Jedi doing what ordinary folk do, Jedi who are ordinary folk. There must be Jedi doctors and judges and soldiers and pilots- and politicians."

absolmorph
2010-03-28, 04:25 PM
Your comments on a lack of accountability remind me of a certain video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AzpByR3MvI)
Bearded guy has got awesome dance moves. I'm jealous.

Copacetic
2010-03-28, 04:42 PM
No. No I would not. The Jedi order and rules make quite a lot of sense. When you have that much power, it pays to insure you don't go off the deep end because a loved one dies.

hamishspence
2010-03-28, 04:47 PM
I didn't get into the prequels or the latter stuff in the EU, but has there ever been a Sith Lord who would have looked back on it at the end and thought "Man, that sure was the right career choice for me!"

In the later EU series, a Sith Lord is mentioned who never tried to take over the galaxy, just lives a relatively quiet life surrounded by friends and family- Darth Vectivus:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vectivus

(Warning- spoilers for the Legacy of the Force series.)

However, the person mentioning him may be an unreliable source.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-28, 04:48 PM
In the later EU series, a Sith Lord is mentioned who never tried to take over the galaxy, just lives a relatively quiet life surrounded by friends and family- Darth Vectivus.

However, the person mentioning him may be an unreliable source.

See that sounds reasonable. The Jedi are Paladins, not everyone wants to fight Evil for a living.

hamishspence
2010-03-28, 04:53 PM
Thing is, without Sith Lords on the scene, the rationale for the Jedi Order is less "fight evil" and more

"keep people with special powers busy "serving the galaxy" so they don't become dangerous."

KnightDisciple
2010-03-28, 05:02 PM
Thing is, without Sith Lords on the scene, the rationale for the Jedi Order is less "fight evil" and more

"keep people with special powers busy "serving the galaxy" so they don't become dangerous."

Consider the things the Jedi have at their disposal, though. If managed correctly, they can be an incredible asset.

Those with strong telekinetic abilities could help with disaster relief; who needs some big power lifter when you have a couple of Jedi? And the Jedi medics would give excellent emergency care (there would be too few for true Jedi Healers to replace regular doctors).

Those with illusions (such as the Horns) could help with law enforcement, or perhaps managing wild animals.

Those with especially acute perceptions could be diplomats, helping serve as neutral third parties.

One of the big keys is to not have your main training facility on the same planet as the seat of galactic government. Something Luke did right by choosing Yavin 4.

Johel
2010-03-28, 05:06 PM
Ridiculous. I have enough power to avoid accountability, and I don't exercise it. I know other people in similar boats. Remorse and guilt aren't about getting caught, they're about empathy. If you're only feeling guilty because you might get punished later, you have no idea what the rest of us are talking about when we say guilt.

As much as I can't believe I'm saying this, go watch the South Park episode "Toilet Paper."

I don't know who you are but that's a pretty big assumption you are making here. Do you mean you can simply ignore laws and most other people's actions ? Because that's what it means to avoid accountability : you can simply brush away any attempt to punish you for your actions.

In today's world, not even nation leaders have this kind of power (though they can get away with a lot...).

Back on topic, either you misread me or I was not clear :
Power always leads to corruption. You mention empathy but if you got real power, said empathy lower progressively, as you feel above most things and the line between what is right and what you desire progressively blur.

Even if you genuinely know that what you do is not "right" from everyone's point of view, it still feel right to you. And since nobody can stop you, you have no reason to consider other points of views. You will consider them at first but eventually, you won't. Because you will know best. Or at least that's what power leads people to think.

Since everything you do feel right, there's no remorse to have. And since nobody can stop you, there's no reason to hold back "doing the right thing".

Therefor, if given large powers with virtually no cost, everyone would eventually abuses said powers, first for ideal, then for a few personal motives, then for a mix of ideal and personal motive...then simply because they can.

Concrete
2010-03-28, 05:06 PM
I'd go darkside pretty hard, pretty fast.
I'm not detached, nor cold enough to stay light side, and I'm not sure I'm all that nice either.
That said, I'd robably not be that evil a darksider either.

golentan
2010-03-28, 05:28 PM
Yes, Johel. That's what I meant when I said I had power. And I will thank you not to tell me the workings of my own mind, or those of others.

Kneenibble
2010-03-28, 05:38 PM
Power does not corrupt: power attracts the corruptible.

I wonder if anybody who is replying has played any Geneforge games? I can tell what factions y'all would be siding with by your responses here.

As for me, it seems like the Light side has better health care.

Yarram
2010-03-28, 05:45 PM
Well... I wouldn't be a Sith... Because Sith's are nasty, selfish people. But then most of the Pre-Empire Jedi's were Nog's too.

I dunno. If I were a Jedi, I'd probably retire and go back to doing what I am now.
The whole running around saving people thing has never been my scene, but then, running around killing people/torturing them because I've got a chip on my shoulder is petty.

MandibleBones
2010-03-28, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately, due to personal failings I'd fall so far that a secret cabal of mystics would cause the non-force-sensitive to rise up and wipe out the Jedi in our entirety.

/Damn you Chejop Kejak!

golentan
2010-03-28, 06:03 PM
Power does not corrupt: power attracts the corruptible.

I wonder if anybody who is replying has played any Geneforge games? I can tell what factions y'all would be siding with by your responses here.

As for me, it seems like the Light side has better health care.

Well said.

I haven't played the games, where would I wind up? :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2010-03-28, 08:16 PM
Well said.

I haven't played the games, where would I wind up? :smallbiggrin:

I think you'd fall in with the rebels against the Shapers, the way they are after the Awakened and the Takers have joined up. Too subversive for the Shapers, too responsible for the Barzites and their like, and too uh, anti-idealistic for the Trakovites.

ScottishDragon
2010-03-28, 08:25 PM
http://johnmichaelboling.com/artforgeorgelucas/wp-content/original/2009_09/darth_vader_cookie_monster.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/9/25/128668151337869394.jpghttp://www.beyondthekitchensink.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/dark_side_apron.jpg

Teutonic Knight
2010-03-28, 08:37 PM
Yes, because they encouraged double-bladed lightsaber use more than Jedi. And because of the force powers Dark-siders get. There were Jedi who understood that shooting lightning didn't necessarily mean giving in to the Dark Side, just channeling your anger through the Force. (Then again, it was hard to tell because they could have just as easily became Sith as Jedi.) I would say the Dark-siders were more free than the Jedi; they could access all powers, all lightsaber colors and styles, and they don't have to suppress their emotions.

So, yes, I would turn to the Dark Side.

lightningcat
2010-03-28, 09:21 PM
I would never fall, because I'm solid in my principles.

Anger is power.
Power is freedom.
Freedom is good.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-28, 09:28 PM
No, but I would have used dark side powers. Grey Jedi all the way.
This. Except Dark Jedi.
So, I guess I would have fallen to the dark side, but its very unlikely I would have been Sith, what with there being the rule of two, and all, and I don't like the extremes.

Peace is a lie...

V'icternus
2010-03-28, 09:39 PM
If I were raised a Jedi, there's no way I'd leave it.

But, I have to admit, if I weren't, I probably would.

I'm easily corruptuble, obviously manipulative, and can't wait for a chance to stick my lightsaber through someone's gut and say "Sith happens".

Also, with that kind of power, I'd try to go all Sidious on the universe, except more... uh... extreme.

...letting useless civilians live is a crime. <.<

:smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-03-28, 10:03 PM
I'm easily corruptuble, obviously manipulative, and can't wait for a chance to stick my lightsaber through someone's gut and say "Sith happens".

...letting useless civilians live is a crime. <.<

:smalltongue:

See what I mean? Let someone else deal with the soccer hooligans.

308HTR
2010-03-29, 01:04 AM
It depends. The Jedi are a bunch of sanctimonious roostergroomers.
What do you think it is like for a Sith Lord to be killed by his apprentice? Do you think there's some small measure of satisfaction in a job well done?

Coidzor
2010-03-29, 01:13 AM
It depends. The Jedi are a bunch of sanctimonious roostergroomers.
What do you think it is like for a Sith Lord to be killed by his apprentice? Do you think there's some small measure of satisfaction in a job well done?

Dunno, all of the one's we've seen that I know about have gone kicking and screaming or have been taken by surprise and didn't have time to react.

The Sith are a mug's game anyway.

potatocubed
2010-03-29, 01:15 AM
Everybody would turn to the Dark side. It's less to do with morals than it is practicality, because everything leads to the Dark side.

Anger? Dark side.

Fear? Dark side.

Ambition? Dark side.

Pride? Dark side.

Heavy metal music? Dark side.

Being a teenager? Dark side.

Creme eggs? Starts with 'D', ends with 'ark side'.

And so on. The Dark side isn't so much an option as an inevitability.

Coidzor
2010-03-29, 01:24 AM

Being a teenager? Dark side.

Creme eggs? Starts with 'D', ends with 'ark side'.
You forgot potatoes! :smallwink:

Rutskarn
2010-03-29, 01:29 AM
I don't know. That's not so much self-doubt as a commentary on how inconsistently seductive the dark side is. Some people go mad with rage because their mother got a cold, others set things and people on fire on a regular basis and remain fresh as a daisy.

I'm a moral person, but I've never had the kind of power the force represents, and there's no consistent point of comparison in the series. I couldn't say.

Coidzor
2010-03-29, 02:02 AM
Yeah, Bogan's powers of seduction are borked. That's what you get when everyone and their grandmother is writing it though.

The more I get reconnected with Star Wars, the more I understand just why Darth Traya wanted to kill the Force.

golentan
2010-03-29, 02:04 AM
Yeah, Bogan's powers of seduction are borked. That's what you get when everyone and their grandmother is writing it though.

The more I get reconnected with Star Wars, the more I understand just why Darth Traya wanted to kill the Force.

I would totally support that course of action if it didn't involve innocent deaths.

Of course, I'm also for bumping off the Emperor in Warhammer 40k because it can't possibly make things worse and he might reincarnate.

Anuan
2010-03-29, 03:27 AM
I probably would have danced along the line of the Dark Side to learn the powers and attempt to use them for a better purpose.

Eventually I would have gone mad due to the internal struggle and started blasting everybody with Force Lightning and throwing everyone around.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-29, 03:59 AM

You're wrong about metal. Had Anakin been true then we would have fought the good fight of steel until the end! No surrender and no defeat for those loyal Jedi under the blessings of Space-Thor!

thubby
2010-03-29, 05:51 AM
definitely wouldn't be sith, but the jedi philosophy is just ridiculous.
on top of the harm you cause by denying who and what you are, if there was too much good in the galaxy, would you expect to see jedi kicking puppies and causing mayhem in order to maintain "the balance" they talk about so much?
i don't think so.

megabyter5
2010-03-29, 07:09 AM
If I were a Jedi, I wouldn't even do it well. No matter how badass a lightsaber they try to give me, I'm not using it. You guys fight Sith lords and droid armies and clones and whatnot, the only force power I need is Force Please-Don't-Hurt-Me. The dark side wouldn't even try to tempt me... Although the Jedi might encourage me to seek employment on the other side of the spectrum after I annoyed them enough.

Yes, I can even annoy Jedi. It's basically my superpower.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-29, 02:15 PM
"The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions." I follow that quote religiously. I would have to say that I would be a good sith though. I don't want power or anything like that. I don't wanna kill younglings or innocent. I just don't have the willpower and discipline to be a Jedi Knight.

...or a good one anyways...

-Wrath

druid91
2010-03-29, 02:52 PM
Probably not, being a jedi would be too awesome I would always take a Higher power ceiling over quick attainment. Though is this a you wake up one morning with force powers or is this you somehow end up in a galaxy far far away with force powers?

General Grievous agrees.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/5/56/GrievousHeartburn.jpg/600px-GrievousHeartburn.jpg

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-29, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't be a sith - its just too much work to keep up with all the backstabbing and constant assassinatin attempts.
Besides, the jedi get huge benefits.

druid91
2010-03-29, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't be a sith - its just too much work to keep up with all the backstabbing and constant assassinatin attempts.
Besides, the jedi get huge benefits.

But the backstabbing and assassination are the only good bits to being a sith.

Therefor, if given large powers with virtually no cost, everyone would eventually abuses said powers, first for ideal, then for a few personal motives, then for a mix of ideal and personal motive...then simply because they can.

Personally I would do a lot of stuff with "because I can," as the reason, like say throw a building at a bank robber or use the force to knock asteroids into parts of planets, but then I would still be a jedi, nothing in the jedi code states that you have to be nice*, just stay away from emotional attachments and your fine.*as far as I know.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-29, 03:44 PM
But the backstabbing and assassination are the only good bits to being a sith.

Not having to be a zealot doesn't hurt.

druid91
2010-03-29, 03:45 PM
Not having to be a zealot doesn't hurt.

Who's a zealot now?

hamishspence
2010-03-29, 03:50 PM
Personally I would do a lot of stuff with "because I can," as the reason, like say throw a building at a bank robber or use the force to knock asteroids into parts of planets, but then I would still be a jedi, nothing in the jedi code states that you have to be nice*, just stay away from emotional attachments and your fine.*as far as I know.

Jedi do have quite a few rules to follow other than emotional attachment, and not using dark side powers.

The Jedi Academy Training Manual sourcebook goes into them in some depth- self-discipline, responsibility, and public service being a big part of being a Jedi.

Personally I think the Vulcans took a better approach- emotions are dangerous, but they must be controlled, not eliminated. And they get to have families and loved ones. Same issue- powerful psionic powers, instilling self-discipline in people born with them so they do not abuse them, but a different approach.

druid91
2010-03-29, 03:56 PM
Jedi do have quite a few rules to follow other than emotional attachment, and not using dark side powers.

The Jedi Academy Training Manual sourcebook goes into them in some depth- self-discipline, responsibility, and public service being a big part of being a Jedi.

I am serving the public by using self-discipline to marshal my force powers in order to throw huge objects at things and then I take responsibility for that. Do I have all the bases covered now? :smalltongue:
and note that nothing you said,with the exception of community service, implies "nice".

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-29, 04:00 PM
Who's a zealot now?

Sith can do what they want, not all of them a tyrannical madmen. They can be benign if they want to.

Jedi have to fight Evil, they have to be detached, they have to live for the needs of others.

Maybe (probably) zealot was the wrong word, not sure what the right one would be.

druid91
2010-03-29, 04:02 PM
Query: If all sith are not tyrannical madmen why are most?

golentan
2010-03-29, 04:03 PM
Maybe (probably) zealot was the wrong word, not sure what the right one would be.

Lawful-Stupid Paladin syndrome. The style of play that gives all paladins a bad name in the minds of other players.

KnightDisciple
2010-03-29, 04:05 PM

Personally I think the Vulcans took a better approach- emotions are dangerous, but they must be controlled, not eliminated. And they get to have families and loved ones. Same issue- powerful psionic powers, instilling self-discipline in people born with them so they do not abuse them, but a different approach.

Indeed. And the New Republic Jedi, by and large, do a pretty good job of things too. Before it descended into crapdom, that is.:smallsigh:

I don't know if I could keep from "falling" according to Old Jedi, but I could rock pretty well with New Jedi. I'm something of a paladin at heart, anyways. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2010-03-29, 04:05 PM
Throwing buildings at bank robbers seems a little obnoxious (who owns the buildings being thrown at them?)

That, and:

Honor Life: Since life is what strengthens the light side of the Force, honoring life in all its forms is one of the highest priorities of the Jedi Order. Care must be taken to protect life and avoid unnecessary death, for killing somebody gives strength to the dark side of the Force. If a situation arises where a life must be taken after all other options have been contemplated, a Jedi should make sure the reason is justified. Typically, this should be done in self-defense or the defense of others incapable of defending themselves. A Jedi should never assume that the taking of a life is no cause for concern. Once a Jedi does not care about committing murder, then he has began walking down the path to the dark side.

thubby
2010-03-29, 04:06 PM

i think it's more about non-jedi than sith, but would you honestly expect to meet one of these reasonable sith when we're following the heroes who only fight the psycho evil ones?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-29, 04:07 PM

Because not all of them want to be :smallconfused:

I imagine some of them just want power to protect what they care about, or something like that.

druid91
2010-03-29, 04:08 PM
Who said I have to kill them? Besides what sort of self respecting gangster doesn't use gold-plated droids for bank robberys?

hamishspence
2010-03-29, 04:10 PM
Throwing a building at somebody is going to have a high chance of killing them (a building is not exactly a precision instrument).

Or, for that matter, bystanders, from flying debris.

thubby
2010-03-29, 04:11 PM
Who said I have to kill them? Besides what sort of self respecting gangster doesn't use gold-plated droids for bank robberys?

the kind that can afford gold plated droids... since they don't need to rob banks.

Green Bean
2010-03-29, 04:14 PM
Lightside all the way, baby. I have no problem with the thousand or so rules I have to follow in order to drive a vehicle. Jedi powers are even more dangerous in the wrong hands. Besides, I don't believe in Grey Jedi.

druid91
2010-03-29, 04:14 PM
Throwing a building at somebody is going to have a high chance of killing them (a building is not exactly a precision instrument).

Or, for that matter, bystanders, from flying debris.

There would be very little debris, When I say I throw the building I mean the whole building not just the front or the top I mean everything basement and all. Also I don't have to hit them just make it land close to them. If you were getting buildings thrown at you would you think you had any chance of victory or escape? That said I would probably get told off by the jedi council a few hundred times a week.

hamishspence
2010-03-29, 04:17 PM
Personally I would do a lot of stuff with "because I can," as the reason, like say throw a building at a bank robber or use the force to knock asteroids into parts of planets,

It's also worth remembering it's very hard for light-side Jedi to be that powerful.

According to Vision of the Future, using that much power tends to blind one to the subtler aspects of the Force.

And there is a strong perception that Jedi who use Force power on a massive scale tend to start slipping toward the Dark Side.

There would be very little debris, When I say I throw the building I mean the whole building not just the front or the top I mean everything basement and all.

Buildings break. As does the things the building is landing on.

Moonshadow
2010-03-29, 04:19 PM
There is no 'Dark Side' or 'Light Side'.

I subscribe to the same ideals that Vergere has, that of the Potentium Theory of the Force.

There is no good or evil force powers, only the people that use them.

Belkarsbadside1
2010-03-29, 04:21 PM
Yes. I believe that the temptation to abuse my powers would be overwhelming. I would try to do good at first, but power corrupts.

hamishspence
Sadly, Vergere's portrayal went downhill in later books.

Still, the point argued, that emotion is not the problem, it's acting while in the grip of emotion that is, did make a lot of sense at the time.

druid91
Well that stinks so by virtue of being good you have to be weak? no wonder all the heavy force users are bad guys and the jedi focus on light-saber dueling. Anyway I would at the very least try to stick with the order but continue throwing buildings and such.
And buildings only break if you aren't using the force to hold it together and guide its flight towards your foes.

the kind that can afford gold plated droids... since they don't need to rob banks.

Seeing as they managed to get it on tatooine I think gold is a lot less valuable.

Incompleat
2010-03-29, 04:33 PM
Probably not. I do not care one whit about domination: one of the cornestones of my personal philosophy is that desire for power over anything other than one's own self is a glaring sign of weakness.

But I would not be likely to stay a Jedi either, as I have little to no interest in combat or political manipulation and I do not take kindly to heaps of arbitrary rules - I am definitely Lawful, but for that very reason I am rather wary of people trying to make me subscribe to rules whose purpose is not clear to me.

So the most likely outcome would be me taking official leave from the Jedi order (you can do this, right? Count Dooku did something like that, IIRC), then getting to some backwards planet to spend my time experimenting with the nature of the Force, designing droids, and perhaps doing good deeds of the kind that does not involve chopping people up with laser swords - maybe helping setting up a university, or something like that.

Ah, I forgot, and of course I would drop my laser sword in a black hole along the way to my new homeplanet.

hamishspence
2010-03-29, 04:34 PM
Being good does tend to mean certain limitations, but a sufficiently disciplined person can use a lot of power without getting corrupted by it.

What they won't get, is the little insights the light side brings.

Page 169 of Vision of the Future:

Mara smiled back. "Pretty obvious, isn't it, once you think about it. The Force isn't about power, like most non-Jedi think. It's also about guidance: everything from those impressive future visions to the more subtle real-time warnings I sometimes think of as a danger sense. Trouble is, the more you tap into it for raw power, the less you're able to hear its guidance over the noise of your own activity."
"Yes," Luke murmured, so many puzzles suddenly coming clear. He had often wondered how it was he could rebuild Darth Vader's personal fortress while Master Yoda had become winded doing something as relatively simple as lifting an X-wing from the Dagobah swamp. Clearly, Yoda had understood the choices far better than his upstart pupil.
And even in the short time since Luke had decided to try that same choice he'd already seen glimpses of why Yoda had chosen that path. Subtle bits of guidance, sometimes occuring as vague and almost subconsious feelings, had been showing up more and more.

But I would not be likely to stay a Jedi either, as I have little to no interest in combat or political manipulation and I do not take kindly to heaps of arbitrary rules - I am definitely Lawful, but for that very reason I am rather wary of people trying to make me subscribe to rules whose purpose is not clear to me.

So the most likely outcome would be me taking official leave from the Jedi order (you can do this, right? Count Dooku did something like that, IIRC), then getting to some backwards planet to spend my time experimenting with the nature of the Force, designing droids, and perhaps doing good deeds of the kind that does not involve chopping people up with laser swords - maybe helping setting up a university, or something like that.

Ah, I forgot, and of course I would drop my laser sword in a black hole along the way to my new homeplanet.

There were splinter factions of the Jedi Order that didn't have quite so many arbitrary restrictions.

Djinn Altis's group, mentioned in Children of the Jedi, and revisited in some of the Clone Wars novels, for example.

And buildings only break if you aren't using the force to hold it together and guide its flight towards your foes.

Thing is, even Yoda doesn't exhibit power on that kind of scale.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-29, 09:43 PM
Would you have turned to the Dark side?
Short answer - NO.

Long answer - no, no, no, no, not in a million years, non, nein, nyet, no. Despite what it may seem like from a lot of my posts, I'm actually with morality and the light side all the way.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-29, 09:55 PM
Probably, though, I would try to bring a verve to it. My emotions are something that I don't exactly control, and acting on impulse is common, even when it is self destructive. But joy is also an emotion, as is hope, as is love. Strong emotions these be. Why go all dark and broody when you can be joyful and impulsive?
Basically I would be the Perky Goth,Genki Girl/Keet, Darth Raven. Sure, I would have my sombre or snarky moments, but only to rebound to greater enthusiasm.
Not to be confused with Darth Revan. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan)

Trog
2010-03-29, 10:05 PM
*Wanders by carrying a huge stack of boxes of Coffin Nail™ Brand cigarettes, peeks out from behind them when questioned.*

Turn to the what now? :smallconfused:

Can't talk. Smuggling to do, hutts to pay. :smallannoyed:

*wanders off towards deceptively junky looking spacecraft being fixed by a wookie*

Yo! Chewmamma! Or... uh... whatever your name is. Here's the stuff. Trog needs this stuff delivered to a... *checks the shipping label on the boxes* to a... D. Vader, No Moon, Alderaan. He says you'll know it when you see it. And take good care of this stuff, this guy's Trog's best customer!

arguskos
2010-03-29, 10:07 PM
I know I already posted saying I'd turn to the Dark Side, but today has reinforced how destructive I would end up being. I'd probably go on a murderous rampage, just to destroy as much property and whatnot as I could. It's been one of those days. :smallsigh:

absolmorph
2010-03-29, 10:57 PM
I probably would have danced along the line of the Dark Side to learn the powers and attempt to use them for a better purpose.

Eventually I would have gone mad due to the internal struggle and started blasting everybody with Force Lightning and throwing everyone around.
Unless you're as awesome as Mace Windu.

KnightDisciple
2010-03-29, 11:00 PM
Unless you're as awesome as Mace Windu.

This is unpossible. No one is as awesome as Mace Windu.

...Except Chuck Norris.

absolmorph
2010-03-29, 11:05 PM
This is unpossible. No one is as awesome as Mace Windu.

...Except Chuck Norris.
It's possible a few people or things come close.
Like Jacen Solo's lightsaber.

Coidzor
2010-03-29, 11:06 PM
It's possible a few people or things come close.
Like Jacen Solo's lightsaber.

Yes, but sadly when you're less awesome than your own lightsaber, you know you're going to go down like a punk.

absolmorph
2010-03-29, 11:14 PM
Yes, but sadly when you're less awesome than your own lightsaber, you know you're going to go down like a punk.
Well, Jacen was pretty awesome, it's just that his lightsaber must have been a +5 lightsaber of awesome. The stuff people pulled once they got it (after being crappy without it) is ridiculous.

KnightDisciple
2010-03-29, 11:57 PM
Well, Jacen was pretty awesome, it's just that his lightsaber must have been a +5 lightsaber of awesome. The stuff people pulled once they got it (after being crappy without it) is ridiculous.
You are clearly talking about Anakin Solo.

Jacen Solo went from "interesting character in the Young Jedi series" to "crap character".

Anakin Solo went out with style.

Graymayre
2010-03-30, 12:09 AM
The Dark side knows that emotions are a necessary part of existence, but they allow them to control their actions.

The Light Side knows there is more to life than emotions, but they think the best way to understand that is by alienating themselves from the people in the problems they try to fix (and thus from the problems themselves).

The only logical choice is to ride the line. To be a... Grey Warden.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/Deril11/ACH_ADVLASTOFTHEWARDENS.png

Ganurath
2010-03-30, 12:28 AM
The Jedi code preaches that there is no passion, there is peace. Temperance is not the path to emotional stability, at least not in its entirety. In fact, repressing urges can be wholly unhealthy. I would be quick to forsake the Jedi for the Dark Side.

However, I would not be with the Sith, at least not in the form they're usually represented as. Their entire philosophy is one of personal freedom, self empowerment, and following your feelings. In practice, the Sith are all about tyrannic empires, dehumanization, and following orders. Even if I agreed with them, I'd forsake them for their hypocrisy.

I would be a true Sith, establish myself as a mercenary in Hutt Space. By selling my skills to those that want to use them, I act according to Sith philosophy without robbing that freedom of others... Save my opponents. If I want followers, I won't stop any disciples that want to follow me.

If the Jedi or Sith come after me... They're both tyrants. If the individual is someone I like, or am unfamiliar with, I'll tell them "I do what I want. I don't want to fight someone who's smart enough to walk away from a pointless battle. I do want to fight those who obey without understanding why. Based on that, do I want to fight you?" If it's someone I particularly dislike, I won't give them the chance. If they're smart enough to back down, I'll part ways if they don't want to talk, and talk if they do. If they're lucky enough to survive, I'll help them back to stable if I still respect them or leave them to fate if not.

KnightDisciple
2010-03-30, 12:36 AM
Really, I think combining the really old version of the Jedi Code, with the version used by Luke Skywalker's Jedi, would work pretty well.

"Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force."

Much more holistic. And then we have:

"Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.
Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect.
Jedi respect all life, in any form.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training."

Those are both pretty solid.

Source. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code)

I think the problems happened when Jedi took things too far, and let the focus on just detachment rule everything. It made them poor Jedi, really.

Dreamshifter
2010-03-30, 02:13 AM
hmm, the eternal question. Cookies, or no cookies?

I'd never make it as a Jedi. While I do have a fair degree of emotional control, two things negate that. First, it still fails from time to time, and second (and worse), a large amount of that contol exists because I am powerless to act on it. Given power, and a lot of it? Doesn't look good for me.

On the other hand, there's only about a 50/50 chance I'd end up falling all the way. I can see me choosing a quieter life, using my powers selfishly, but without harming others (much, some people would deserve to get their behinds kicked from time to time). On the other hand, I can also see me trying to take over, because (many) people are too stupid to be trusted with freedom...

Yeah, that doesn't look any better for me. :smalltongue:

druid91
2010-03-30, 10:38 PM
Thing is, even Yoda doesn't exhibit power on that kind of scale.

But wasn't yoda a wuss on the scale of raw power? The only thing he really did with the force was see the future and offset his disadvantages in light-saber fighting. Anyway I think I probably would fall now just for the unlimited power!!! that palpatine was talking about. Well that and the dark sith magic.

thubby
2010-03-30, 10:52 PM
But wasn't yoda a wuss on the scale of raw power? The only thing he really did with the force was see the future and offset his disadvantages in light-saber fighting. Anyway I think I probably would fall now just for the unlimited power!!! that palpatine was talking about. Well that and the dark sith magic.

yoda was throwing drop ships around.

Zexion
2010-03-30, 10:55 PM

Drop ships have to be light. Also, it's quite possible that he was just powering the repulsorlift.

druid91
2010-03-30, 11:06 PM

Was he pulling star-destroyers out of the sky? Besides wasn't there a quote about luke or someone being able to rebuild a castle with the force while yoda struggled to pull that x-wing out of the mud?

thubby
2010-03-30, 11:09 PM
Was he pulling star-destroyers out of the sky? Besides wasn't there a quote about luke or someone being able to rebuild a castle with the force while yoda struggled to pull that x-wing out of the mud?

and the point that quote made was that yoda was stronger for it.

Drop ships have to be light. Also, it's quite possible that he was just powering the repulsorlift.

yes, the tanks and driods in them usually aren't

neoseph7
2010-03-30, 11:20 PM
I'd like to say that, yes, I would definatly join the dark side... Except for the fact that I am pretty much already there, so I might be biased. In truth, real life is a little more grey than the black and white of Jedi and Sith. As long as I got to dress monochromatically in black, I don't really care which side I'm fighting for.

druid91
2010-03-30, 11:28 PM
The point was that he was wiser for it not stronger.

Killer Angel
2010-03-31, 02:22 AM
So, I have to ask, what is the likelihood you, as a person, would have turned to the Dark Side, if you'd been a Jedi?

Depending on circumstances.

Darth badass-incarnate Vader: "I am your father"

Me: "...COOL!"

hamishspence
2010-03-31, 02:54 AM
The point was that he was wiser for it not stronger.

It's possible that during the clone wars era, the Jedi (especially Yoda & Mace Windu) were throwing their powers around way too much. Yoda comments on how clouded the Force is- how hard it is to see- maybe this is why.

20-odd years in the swamps of Dagobah, not throwing his powers around, might have made the difference.

Force
2010-03-31, 08:59 AM
It's been stated before that the cloud upon the Force is a result of the Dark Side, not of the Jedi tapping the Force too strongly.

In addition, the temptation to fall is generally caused by one of two things: the actual action, and the intent. There are certain actions that will bring one close to the Dark Side, but doing what are apparently good things for the wrong motives will also drag one closer to the Dark.

RationalGoblin
2010-03-31, 09:12 AM
I'd prefer to be aligned with neither the Jedi nor the Sith.

Instead, I would want to be a high-ranking executive/engineer in a robotics company (perhaps even the Trade Federation?), and would use my Force powers to build insanely precise battle droids, intended to act as bodyguards for individuals that I, using Force sight to see the future (or something like that) would be needed for a certain event.

I'd be both rich and have a free conscience. And of course, if either the Jedi or the Sith violently took offense to me profiting off the Force without joining either side, I would sic a few of my Force-built droids on 'em. :smallcool:

EndlessWrath
2010-03-31, 01:29 PM
*Wanders by carrying a huge stack of boxes of Coffin Nail™ Brand cigarettes, peeks out from behind them when questioned.*

Turn to the what now? :smallconfused:

Can't talk. Smuggling to do, hutts to pay. :smallannoyed:

*wanders off towards deceptively junky looking spacecraft being fixed by a wookie*

Yo! Chewmamma! Or... uh... whatever your name is. Here's the stuff. Trog needs this stuff delivered to a... *checks the shipping label on the boxes* to a... D. Vader, No Moon, Alderaan. He says you'll know it when you see it. And take good care of this stuff, this guy's Trog's best customer!

This.. Made my day. Sir I give you my props.
-Wrath

Caewil
2010-04-01, 06:24 AM
I'm with rational goblin, except I'd figure put how to clone the minichlorinumuns and control them with electronics. FORCE USING HUMONGOUS MECHA!

druid91
2010-04-01, 07:49 AM
I'm with rational goblin, except I'd figure put how to clone the minichlorinumuns and control them with electronics. FORCE USING HUMONGOUS MECHA!

This is the best idea ever.

Johel
2010-04-01, 08:09 AM
I'd never make it as a Jedi. While I do have a fair degree of emotional control, two things negate that. First, it still fails from time to time, and second (and worse), a large amount of that contol exists because I am powerless to act on it. Given power, and a lot of it? Doesn't look good for me.

On the other hand, there's only about a 50/50 chance I'd end up falling all the way. I can see me choosing a quieter life, using my powers selfishly, but without harming others (much, some people would deserve to get their behinds kicked from time to time). On the other hand, I can also see me trying to take over, because (many) people are too stupid to be trusted with freedom...

Yeah, that doesn't look any better for me. :smalltongue:

Very wise, very true.

hamishspence
2010-04-01, 08:13 AM
FORCE USING HUMONGOUS MECHA!

There were force-using cyborgs (of which the non-cyborg part was basically a small sentient crystal) in the Old Republic era. The Iron Knights.

In theory, those guys could have constructed Humongous Mecha bodies for themselves to control, if they wanted.

The Jedi didn't like the whole idea of Jedi that were mostly droid, and declared them heretics.

Luke, by contrast, was happy to accept them.

pendell
2010-04-01, 08:20 AM

Me? I could see it happen, if my motivations would be strong enough. In a sense, I can even see the Jedi as the "wrong side" of the conflict, after watching the prequel trilogies... I mean, denying your emotions and all of that.:smalltongue:

EDIT: I think this might fit better in Media, instead of Friendly Banter...

TBH, I couldn't be either a Jedi or a Sith at all, if I was a force-sensitive in the Star Wars Galaxy.

Reasoning: I don't accept the Jedi's belief that passion, strong emotion, strong attachment, desire, is synonymous with the Dark Side. I'm a married man. Strong emotion and attachment has a place in many well-adjusted lives, and the pre-clone wars Jedi practice of taking children from their families and cutting them off from any human attachment I consider abhorrent, likely to produce psychological wrecks.

OTOH, The Sith are .. well .. power-hungry and grasping. They consider themselves the center of the universe, and don't allow antiquated ideas like 'morality' or 'the rights of others' get in their way of raw appetite for power. Add to that the fact that I couldn't go along with a group of people that would destroy Alderaan just to make a point.

So I'd hide out and start a third order looking for a better way.

Some real-life experience: 'Power' was a big temptation as a teenager. But then I graduated from college and found that 'Power' over others -- which I gained in some measure through work and through starting my own family -- is a poor substitute for good relations with other humans. The ability to impact another life is paltry when you realize you've got no one to talk to about it.

So I can't say I find the Star Wars Dark Side all that interesting. With power comes the responsibility to use it wisely. While 'unlimited POWAAA' sounds cool ... well, the fact is that you'd then be responsible for what you did with it. And whatever the physics of philosophy of it, I'm pretty sure it would come back to bite me somehow if I abused it to prey on others.

So while power is pretty neat, I've got no interest in the Dark Side for more than I truly need, in real worlds or fantasy worlds. Normal humans are pretty powerful themselves, when they put the work in. The additional strength to do something doesn't seem to be worth the cost. And both Darth Vader and the Emperor looked like miserable people.

Walking around in black armor, hiding my true self from everyone around me, hated and feared by everyone I came into contact with, unable to have any real emotional relationship? Envied by those below me, feared by those above me? What kind of life is that?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Caewil
2010-04-01, 08:35 AM
We could call him JEDITRON.

hamishspence
2010-04-01, 10:18 AM
TBH, I couldn't be either a Jedi or a Sith at all, if I was a force-sensitive in the Star Wars Galaxy.

Reasoning: I don't accept the Jedi's belief that passion, strong emotion, strong attachment, desire, is synonymous with the Dark Side. I'm a married man. Strong emotion and attachment has a place in many well-adjusted lives, and the pre-clone wars Jedi practice of taking children from their families and cutting them off from any human attachment I consider abhorrent, likely to produce psychological wrecks.

Couldn't be a mainstream Jedi. There are splinter factions that still call themselves Jedi and threw out the "no families" rule (which wasn't an original Jedi rule, but added much later).

Similarly, there are suggestions that some factions of Sith weren't as fanatical as Vader and the Emperor- the Lost Tribe, which had been cut off from the rest of the Sith factions for 5000 years, and the aforementioned Darth Vectivus.

So, there are Jedi and Sith factions out there which might fit.

Or, if the Lost Tribe are too nasty and the Altisian Jedi too altrustic, there's always the factions that aren't aligned with either order.

Lost Demiurge
2010-04-01, 12:01 PM
I'd start light side. I'd work so hard, and let so much go, to be light side.

But then I'd have one bad day. One REALLY bad day. One day that... Eh. you know how it goes.

I'd fall, and I wouldn't stay dark side forever, but long enough to get the job done. No matter how long it took. Then I'd try and find my way back, but probably stay solely in the gray jedi realm for the rest of my life. However short.

Asta Kask
2010-04-01, 12:46 PM
Light Side. The Dark Side makes you stupid.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IrtPpCgvEH4/S1SC45w495I/AAAAAAAABzE/Nl6sBwOXgRE/s1600/father.jpg

Mystic Muse
2010-04-01, 12:48 PM
short answer. No
Long answer. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:tongue: