PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Healing Questions

stjones91
2010-03-28, 05:21 PM
Ok, a buddy of mine has decided to run an epic gestalt campaign through the Abyss. I, being the one to speed things up, volunteered to be the healer. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good gestalt healing build. Any information would be fantastic. I definitely plan on being a cleric, either lawful good or neutral good. Once again, I appreciate the info.

The Blackbird
2010-03-28, 05:23 PM
The Radiant Servant of Pelor (Complete Divine) has some good class features for healing, but only d6 HD, though you could counter that with your other class being barbarian or something.

Evard
2010-03-28, 07:39 PM
well barbarian wouldn't work really... Lawful Neutral Vs Chaotic X Alignment

Although a Cleric(take your pick of what kind)/Crusader would be a nice gestalt :D Healing, Bashing, and ability to take damage and give it back :D

Hmm I might just make a Cleric/Crusader sometime lol

The Blackbird
2010-03-28, 07:45 PM
well barbarian wouldn't work really... Lawful Neutral Vs Chaotic X Alignment

Huh? He said Lawful Good or Neutral Good.

Ernir
2010-03-28, 07:52 PM
Ok, a buddy of mine has decided to run an epic gestalt campaign through the Abyss. I, being the one to speed things up, volunteered to be the healer. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good gestalt healing build. Any information would be fantastic. I definitely plan on being a cleric, either lawful good or neutral good. Once again, I appreciate the info.

What level are we talking about here? (A.K.A. how Epic?)

To what degree does your group "optimize"?

Do you use Epic Spellcasting?

Evard
2010-03-28, 07:55 PM
Huh? He said Lawful Good or Neutral Good.

oops missed the NG :smallredface:

You could always go Fighter/Cleric nothing like a 2 bladed instrument of death that can blast and heal with metamagics.

Godskook
2010-03-28, 08:00 PM
In-combat or non-combat?

Non-combat, pick up the reserve feat Touch of Healing and encourage the team to buy healing belts and/or wands of lesser vigor.

In-combat, there's typically better things to do, unless you're dropping quickened heals. I suggest reading this for a general idea of what you're wanting there: http://flgs.akashicrecord.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=206

Flickerdart
2010-03-28, 08:04 PM
The Knight also has a d12 HD, so it's a decent Lawful choice and a better tank than a Barbarian. Isn't Crusader d12 too?

PinkysBrain
2010-03-28, 08:05 PM
Psionic Revivify is more flexible than the spell revivify (if you're playing SRD only the spell wouldn't even be available) so Psion gives a healer some nice extra options. It's epic though ... it doesn't really matter :)

Just give everyone a couple intelligent items which can true resurrect them and go to town.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-28, 08:08 PM
The Knight also has a d12 HD, so it's a decent Lawful choice and a better tank than a Barbarian. Isn't Crusader d12 too?

Curiously enough Crusader have d10 HF, one would think a class based on protecting and sustaining damage (steely resolve, furious counterstrike and one stance of devoted spirit for example) would have higher HD

reptilecobra13
2010-03-28, 08:12 PM
Check out the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook. It will limit your armor capabilities somewhat, but you might appreciate all of the extra healing you'll be able to pump out each day. It really depends on whether you plan to be a dedicated healer. Also, the prestige class Combat Medic might be worth a level or two, depending on how much multiclassing and whatnot you have planned.

Eldariel
2010-03-28, 08:13 PM

D10. Though with Delayed Damage Pool, may as well be d14 for all he cares.

lightningcat
2010-03-28, 08:47 PM
The warblade is the d12 of ToB.

Zovc
2010-03-28, 08:51 PM
Wait a minute, we're suggesting he go Cleric X/Radiant Servant of Pelor Y//[Class] Z? O.o

I expected something a lot more complicated.

Raiki
2010-03-28, 09:14 PM
Well that's simple.

Wizard5/Incantatrix 8/Initiate of the 7-Fold Veil 7//Cleric or Druid 20
21st level feat: Epic spellcasting.

Develop an epic spell of something along the lines of:

Buffing Burst of Blatant Buffery
Casting time: 1 immediate action
Duration: Permanant (D)
Targets: All creatures designated as allies within line of sight.
Effect:
Every round, at the beginning of your turn, all allies within line of sight are targeted with all of the following: True Resurrection, Heal, Displacement, Superior Invisibility, Overland Flight, Divine Might, Protection from (alignment), Bear's, Cat's, Bull's, Fox's, Owl's, Eagle's, Mind Blank, Greater Heroism, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Haste, Greater Blink, Protection from Energy (all) [yes, this wouldn't normally work...but it IS epic after all].
(Also, any other (non-core or remembered off the top of my head) buffs that you feel like putting in.)
Special: This spell is unaffected by any form of Dispel Magic or Anti-Magic Field.

Then, mitigate the cost down to zero and have your character develop it instantly, for free, with no XP cost. Alternatively, mitigate the cost down to negatives, and learn it yesterday while making money and GAINING XP. (I kid, I kid)

There, you win. Now cast that at the beginning of every day, leadership yourself up an army, fly above them (thus gaining line of sight to all of your hundreds of thousands of followers), and take over the world. Then, retire.

Any questions?

~R~

Shalist
2010-03-28, 10:25 PM
Take some RHD from something that "casts spells as an Xth level cleric," (ie a LG drider, yay for 'helm of opposite alignment.'). This way you don't have to use material components when you cast your clerical spells, so you can cast 'true resurrections' all day without breaking a sweat.

Or play a Phaerim (lost empires of Faerun) and just use your exp-free wishes to simulate any clerical spell 6th level and lower, like heal or 'revivify' (bring a recently slain person back to life w/o level loss), spontaneously. And also being able to cast any wizard spell (8th and lower) spontaneously, while you're at it...just a thought.

And if you're using epic spellcasting, phaerimm get an automatic -200 mitigation for tacking on 20,000 exp to every spell :P

FishAreWet
2010-03-28, 10:37 PM
@Shalist... that's just not how it works. Mosnters still use components unless they cast as Spell Like Abilities. Which Phaerimm do. But Epic Spells use different rules. There are no Epic Spell Like Abilities. You can't cheat mitigation like that.

@OP, why heal?
Epic gestalt is rocket tag and rock, paper, immune.

Shalist
2010-03-28, 10:51 PM
As noted in the Monster Manual, creatures with innate spellcasting abilities, such as dragons, do not require material components to cast their spells. If a spell has a focus, however, a dragon or other innate spellcaster must have the focus on its person. Dragons can use the Embed Spell Focus feat to satisfy this requirement.

Epic spells are spells developed from the ground up using a list of magical ingredients called seeds. Despite their power, epic spells still follow the basic rules for casting spells, except as specifically noted otherwise And there's nothing in there about epic spells being different when it comes to their exp cost :P