PDA

View Full Version : Contact Diseases [3.X]

Temotei
2010-03-28, 07:24 PM
I'm looking for contact diseases now. As in my contact poisons thread, I'm looking for at least twenty-five, but if I get fifty, I'll be very happy. I'm looking for twenty. More is fine, but I need at least twenty.

If you don't want to, you don't have to list the effects, but I would like to have the source.

List (21)

Core (4)
Mummy rot -- 1d6 Con
Shakes -- 1d8 Dex
Slimy doom -- 1d4 Con (with possible 1-point drain)
Cerebral Parasites -- 1d8 PP

Book of Exalted Deeds (2)
Eternal torpor -- 1d6 Dex
Consuming passion -- 1d4 Int

Book of Vile Darkness (7)
Deathsong -- 1d8 Str, 1d8 Dex, 1d8 Con
Lightning curse -- 1d6 Int (with possible 1-point drain)
Melting fury -- 1d4 Str, 1d4 Dex, 1d4 Con
Possession infection -- 1d6 Wis, 1d8 Cha
Sound sickness -- 1d6 Dex (with possible 1-point drain) (with possible deafness)
Vile rigidity -- +1 natural armor per day until third day, when -2 Dex per day until suffocation at 0 Dex
Warp touch -- Various effects

Stormwrack (1)
Sea rot -- 1d6 Str, 1d6 Con

Sandstorm (1)
Sandeyes -- 1d4 Cha (with possible blindness)

Frostburn (1)
Winter rot -- 1d6 Str

Elder Evils (1)
Living Rot -- 1d4 Str, 1d4 Con, 1d4 Wis, 1d4 Cha (with possible Con and Cha drain)

Drow of the Underdark (1)
Suppurating pox -- 1d4 Con, 1d6 Cha

Heroes of Horror (1)
Blood Fever -- 1d6 Con, 1d4 Cha

Fiendish Codex 2 (1)
Unnamed from Aspect of Glasya -- 1d6 Con, 1d6 Cha

MM3 (1)
Plague -- 2d4 Dex, 2d4 Con

Lysander
2010-03-28, 08:14 PM
See, contact diseases and poisons are why I love the monk. The secret to playing them is not to have them punch anybody. You instead make them cover their hands with every contact poison and disease there is and then tap their enemy lightly once before running away.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 08:15 PM
See, contact diseases and poisons are why I love the monk. The secret to playing them is not to have punch anybody. You instead make them cover their hands with every contact poison and disease there is and then tap their enemy lightly once before running away.

Indeed. :smallamused:

taltamir
2010-03-28, 08:19 PM
See, contact diseases and poisons are why I love the monk. The secret to playing them is not to have punch anybody. You instead make them cover their hands with every contact poison and disease there is and then tap their enemy lightly once before running away.

you know, this is how the komodo dragon hunts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon#Saliva

anything it bites dies of infections within hours. and nothing but other komodo dragons can eat it since its so infected.

Lysander
2010-03-28, 08:27 PM
you know, this is how the komodo dragon hunts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon#Saliva

anything it bites dies of infections within hours. and nothing but other komodo dragons can eat it since its so infected.

There should really be a Komodo Monk prestige class that takes advantage of their immunities. The class abilities could focus on easily acquiring poisons and diseased material, upping fortitude DCs, and ways of reducing incubation times.

Optimystik
2010-03-28, 08:29 PM
This is, I believe, a favored tactic of Yurtrus - Orcish god of monks and disease in FR. His monks keep their nails long and sharp, and dip them in powders made from poisonous roots.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 08:45 PM
This is, I believe, a favored tactic of Yurtrus - Orcish god of monks and disease in FR. His monks keep their nails long and sharp, and dip them in powders made from poisonous roots.

That's pretty cool. :smallamused:

arguskos
2010-03-28, 09:09 PM
And this is why Yurtrus is AWESOME. Yurtrus, the Rotting One, technically is the Orcish god of Death and Disease. His worshipers are mostly monks and assassins, but he doesn't actually have monks as his portfolio.

However, the tactic of dipping ones hands in poisons and diseases and spreading them as a combat tactic is awesome.

taltamir
2010-03-28, 09:23 PM
it would make a lot more sense to grow bacteria there rather then dipping them in poison all the time (plus, the poison could kill the bacteria)

but yea, very cool idea

Raiki
2010-03-28, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I actually had a DM throw a bunch of Jeren (vile halfling) Frenzied Berserkers at us once. They had somehow gotten immunity to poison (I forget how), and spread it all over their claws and mouths. Although the party was epic, quite a few of us came very close to death in that fight. At least, until we realized that as soon as they calmed down, they died.

~R~

Lysander
2010-03-28, 09:28 PM
it would make a lot more sense to grow bacteria there rather then dipping them in poison all the time (plus, the poison could kill the bacteria)

but yea, very cool idea

Poison on one hand, diseases on the other. Flurry of blows. :smallbiggrin:

edit: or be lame and put them on a weapon. but if you're immune you should live it up and coat your face with it to headbutt people.

taltamir
2010-03-28, 09:39 PM
or just call yourself a "monk of the order of the dragon" and BITE people with your heavily infected mouth...
Its hand-waved if its punching or kicking that a monk does... so biting people should work too.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 09:45 PM
As awesome as these ideas are, I have to ask: Does this mean no one has any more diseases to add? :smallbiggrin:

taltamir
2010-03-28, 09:59 PM
yap...

ask your DM if you can throw in e.coli, herpes, salmonella, etc :P

Temotei
2010-03-28, 10:01 PM
yap...

ask your DM if you can throw in e.coli, herpes, salmonella, etc :P

This is for homebrew, so I don't have to ask anyone. :smallamused:

Jack Zander
2010-03-28, 10:05 PM
or just call yourself a "monk of the order of the zombie" and BITE people with your heavily infected mouth...

Fixed that for you.

marjan
2010-03-28, 10:15 PM
Mummy rot also deals 1d6 charisma damage.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 10:18 PM
Mummy rot also deals 1d6 charisma damage.

Not according to the SRD.

Mummy rot4 Contact 20 1 day 1d6 Con

marjan
2010-03-28, 10:34 PM
From the mummy entry:

Mummy Rot (Su)

Supernatural disease—slam, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1 minute; damage 1d6 Con and 1d6 Cha. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Where else is there description for it?

taltamir
2010-03-28, 10:35 PM
Fixed that for you.

that is awesome!

arguskos
2010-03-28, 10:35 PM
From the mummy entry:

Where else is there description for it?
In the table in the DMG for Diseases, which doesn't list the Cha damage.

marjan
2010-03-28, 10:38 PM
In the table in the DMG for Diseases, which doesn't list the Cha damage.

In that case mummy entry should be the correct one.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 10:41 PM
In that case mummy entry should be the correct one.
That's highly debatable, actually. Personally, I feel diseases are bad enough as it is. However, the RAW is unclear as to which is the primary source here. One could reasonably argue that the DMG entry is meant for player access, in which case, the mummy rot there could be deliberately weaker, and needs no change. Alternatively, one could argue that making an already weak mechanic worse is stupid and use the MM mummy rot. Either way, this is a DM call, since there's no clear answer.

Lysander
2010-03-28, 10:52 PM
I don't suppose you count diseases transmitted through bites as "contact"? If so there's ghoul fever.

marjan
2010-03-28, 11:01 PM
That's highly debatable, actually. Personally, I feel diseases are bad enough as it is. However, the RAW is unclear as to which is the primary source here. One could reasonably argue that the DMG entry is meant for player access, in which case, the mummy rot there could be deliberately weaker, and needs no change. Alternatively, one could argue that making an already weak mechanic worse is stupid and use the MM mummy rot. Either way, this is a DM call, since there's no clear answer.

My opinion is that since mummy rot is specific to mummies, their entry would be primary source and DMG entry would be just summary containing its description. Though I agree that it could either way.

... weak mechanic ...

While generally diseases are weak mechanic, mummy rot is quite decent. Spread by CR 5 monster with DC 15 save means characters have a pretty good chance of contracting it. And once you get diseased it's pain in the a@@ to get it removed as DC 20 CL check is not easy at lvl5.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:01 PM
I don't suppose you count diseases transmitted through bites as "contact"? If so there's ghoul fever.

I believe that would be injury.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:08 PM
My opinion is that since mummy rot is specific to mummies, their entry would be primary source and DMG entry would be just summary containing its description. Though I agree that it could either way.
The DMG is also the primary source for the disease rules. It really is an "either-or" sorta thing. :smallsigh:

While generally diseases are weak mechanic, mummy rot is quite decent. Spread by CR 5 monster with DC 15 save means characters have a pretty good chance of contracting it. And once you get diseased it's pain in the a@@ to get it removed as DC 20 CL check is not easy at lvl5.
And I'm referring to the disease mechanic, not one instance of it. Hell, there are instances of some truly wicked poisons. Doesn't make poison a good mechanic though. :smallwink: But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Alleine
2010-03-28, 11:20 PM
Elder Evils has Living Rot, 1d4 str, 1d4 con, 1d4 wis, 1d4 cha. Both con and cha require a second save or else the damage becomes permanent drain.

I don't think it requires a sign of the apocalypse to occur, but thats where its listed. Pretty nasty too, can be spread through pretty much any method, not just contact.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:26 PM
Elder Evils has Living Rot, 1d4 str, 1d4 con, 1d4 wis, 1d4 cha. Both con and cha require a second save or else the damage becomes permanent drain.

I don't think it requires a sign of the apocalypse to occur, but thats where its listed. Pretty nasty too, can be spread through pretty much any method, not just contact.

Woot. Four more and I'll be happy. :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-03-28, 11:37 PM
I went searching and found mummy rot's cousin:

Hunefer Rot (Su)

Supernatural disease—slam, Fort save (DC 35), incubation period instantaneous; damage 1d6 temporary Con. Unlike normal diseases, hunefer rot requires a victim to make a successful saving throw every round or take another 1d6 points of temporary Constitution damage. The rot continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or receives a remove disease spell or similar magic. An afflicted creature that dies shrivels away into sand unless both remove disease and raise dead (or better) are cast on the remains within 2 rounds. If the remains are not so treated, on the third round the dust swirls and forms an 18 HD mummy with the dead foe’s equipment under the hunefer’s command. (The mummy dust epic spell has statistics for an 18 HD mummy.)

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:45 PM
I went searching and found mummy rot's cousin:

As epic as that is, I'm pretty sure it's an injury-contracted disease. :smallsigh:

Ah well.

Alleine
2010-03-28, 11:49 PM
Suppurating Pox: 1d4 con and 1d6 cha. Can only be cured with magic. Drow of the Underdark.

Do you want any contact disease? There are several monsters that have diseases specific to them that they spread through contact, but the diseases aren't specific enough to say whether an infected person can continue to spread them.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 11:59 PM
Suppurating Pox: 1d4 con and 1d6 cha. Can only be cured with magic. Drow of the Underdark.

Do you want any contact disease? There are several monsters that have diseases specific to them that they spread through contact, but the diseases aren't specific enough to say whether an infected person can continue to spread them.

Sure. As long as it's a contact disease, I'm down with it. I'm hip. :smallamused:

Lysander
2010-03-29, 12:07 AM
Naga have a poisonous spit attack. Fortitude DC 19, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con.

And don't forget the Cloudkill spell.

Alleine
2010-03-29, 12:09 AM
Cool beans.

Heroes of Horror has Blood Fever, a supernatural disease, delivered by the touch of a Bloodrot. 1d6 con and 1d4 cha.

Fiendish Codex 2: the Aspect of Glasya, Lord of the Sixth layer of Hell, deals an unnamed disease on touch. 1d6 con and 1d6 cha.
You would have to go so far out of your way to catch this, and would most likely die in the process.

Temotei
2010-03-29, 12:12 AM
Naga have a poisonous spit attack. Fortitude DC 19, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con.

And don't forget the Cloudkill spell.

That goes in the other thread. :smallamused:

Alleine
2010-03-29, 12:33 AM
Disease, Cerebral Parasites

Spread by contact with infected psionic creatures; contact; DC 15; incubation 1d4 days; damage 1d8 power points.

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicMaladies).

MM3, Plague, spread by Plague Spewers. 2d4 dex, 2d4 con. Also supernatural.

Temotei
2010-03-29, 12:48 AM
Disease, Cerebral Parasites

Spread by contact with infected psionic creatures; contact; DC 15; incubation 1d4 days; damage 1d8 power points.

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicMaladies).

MM3, Plague, spread by Plague Spewers. 2d4 dex, 2d4 con. Also supernatural.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Any more help is greatly appreciated.