PDA

View Full Version : Gremlin race [3.5]

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-28, 07:32 PM
The second chapter of my next campaign features an outer-worldly enemy called the Hash'ilk'Khan. Though they won't appear until the second chapter.
The Hash'ilk'Khan do have many servants, the Gremlins are one of them.
I was inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic to create these guys. It eventually morphed to transmutation based gnomes.

Gremlins(Goblinoid)
-2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity
• Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits Ύ those of Medium characters.
• A gremlin’s base land speed is 20 feet.
• Low-Light Vision.
• +2 racial bonus to Disable Device, and any three craft skills(chosen at creation)
• +4 racial bonus on Listen checks.
• +1 Caster level to transmutation spells
• +2 to saving throws vs transmutation
• Automatic Languages: Gremlin(dialect of goblin). Bonus Languages: Common, Hash'ilk'Khan, Varian, Goblin.
• 1/day— Mending, Magehand and Animate Rope, Caster level 2nd.
• Favored Class: Artificer
• Usually Lawful Evil
• (for an image of what they look like http://heroes.ag.ru/h5/races/academy/jpg/HeroesV_Academy_01_Gremlin.jpg

The Gremlins are one of many slave races to the Hash'ilk'Khan and are the distant cousins of goblins. They stand 3 to 3.75 feet tall and weigh 45 to 50 pounds. They have a dark greenish brown skin tone and red or yellow eyes. Their ears are three times the size of a regular goblins giving them exceptional hearing and are taller and far bulkier then their goblin cousins at the expense of speed and agility. They typically wear earth tones with stitched patches of different colors and are fond of gold ear-rings. Like Goblins, Gremlins have no concept of a fair fight and use ambushes, traps and anything else to gain an edge, however unlike Goblins, Gremlins DO have a fair grasp of strategy, They resent being bullied by bigger stronger creatures and when in coerced into service through such means one must be cautious of betrayal. They respect and fear those that are intelligent and cunning and most importantly have a mastery of magic, not simple brutes. If you continually supply them with raw materials for their various projects and experiments they'll gladly supply you with, traps, weapons and any mechanical weapon of doom they can come up with.

History & Society
The Gremlins originate from outworld an alternate material plane, well whats left of one, eons ago the planet shattered and now its remnants float in the space the planet used to be. Though it is possible they are originally from yet another world and were banished to outworld along with the Hash'ilk'Khan. Their society is divided to labor classes, masons, blacksmiths, engineers etc. These classes are then divined into ranks with titles such as Laborer to Masterbuilder. The most honored Gremlins are Artificers who construct magic items of varying kinds and often serve as the personal assistant to a Hash'ilk'Khan.

Gremlin wizards are known for experimentation in the creations of creatures such as Chimera's

Gremlins are unusually among Goblins in that they do not live underground and possess low-light vision. This due to the nature of outworld, there simply isn't enough high concentration of ground for underground races, and the lands are bathed in a state of eternal twilight from the sun's rays impacting the clouds of dust that shrouded the remnants of the world, excessive tunneling into one of the floating islands of rock and dirt may also cause it to breakup. The one thing that is true of all Goblins is a love of making things, however most enjoy making things that destroy other things. There are many tales of rival Gremlins who continually try and build better thing to destroy there rivals inventions.

It is interesting to note that in the few Gremlin communities that exist outside the influence of the Hash'ilk'Khan the Gremlins behave in a fashion more like gnomes then Goblins. Some theorize the Gremlins were once a race of gnomes until the Hash'ilk'Khan got their hands on them.

Lysander
2010-03-28, 08:11 PM
I really want them to have a racial ability to cling to the undersides of flying carpets and sabotage them mid-flight.

What's the LA?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-28, 08:21 PM
I really want them to have a racial ability to cling to the undersides of flying carpets and sabotage them mid-flight.

What's the LA?

I'd assume none

Geiger Counter
2010-03-28, 08:37 PM
I remember the gremlin from extreme ghostbusters, it secreted an oil that helped it sabotage machinery and made it difficult to catch.

Raiki
2010-03-28, 08:48 PM
Man, I was really hoping for a Mog'wai themed race here. Again I am bitterly disappointed. :smallsigh: My day shall come eventually, I suppose.

~R~

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-28, 09:00 PM
I remember the gremlin from extreme ghostbusters, it secreted an oil that helped it sabotage machinery and made it difficult to catch.

So are you saying they should have grease as a spell-like-ability?