PDA

View Full Version : Crusader/Cleric Gestalt

Evard
2010-03-28, 07:52 PM
I'm thinking of making a gestalt character who has a split personality. When in one personalty she uses the crusader powers but while in the other she uses her cleric powers. The two halves don't know about each other but for one of the cleric domains it has to be War.

First: question is where do I find a list of gods that explains their domains

Secondly: I'm thinking of making the two personalities opposite alignments in some way (no evil though) so I'm thinking LG and CN since without using evil those seem to be the closes to opposite i can get

First cubed: I'm not sure if I want to roll each day to see which personality she has, knowing me I would keep rolling the cleric. I'm thinking of rolling a d4 each round in battle on a 1 or 4 she will be a cleric on a 2 or 3 she will be a crusader and it will last for that many rounds (1 + 4 = 3 +2 ). Do you think this would work out well (as long as i remember to roll lol).

Back story: I'm thinking along the lines of during the time at the church there were two higher ups (crusader and cleric) that took a liking to her. They both wanted her as her protege so they both trained her as much as they could. After years of going back and forth she finally "snapped" and thus her two personalities were born. The two higher ups saw what they did to her and didn't want to bring shame upon the church so they told her to go into the world and fight evil (basically banishing her) until she was called upon to return.

Lastly before I look into what maneuvers the crusader gets are there any that are basically "traps"?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-03-28, 08:09 PM
Complete Divine has a list of gods and their portfolios/domains on page 109.

Splitting your personality every 12 seconds seems way too often and could lead to either a break in verisimilitude or a one-dimensional nutso. Couldn't you just switch when it's appropriate to your character, or the narrative? For instance, the (cloistered?) cleric could be the dominant personality until things get tense or dangerous, wherein the crusader personality could take over to "protect" the character. Also, maybe the two personalities are somewhat aware of each others' actions but refuse to acknowledge that the other one is anything but a momentary lapse in sanity or poise or whatever that personality wants to call it. Having a total memory blank seems a bit odd.

Riffington
2010-03-28, 08:16 PM
First: question is where do I find a list
What world are you playing in?

Splitting your personality every 12 seconds seems way too often and could lead to either a break in verisimilitude or a one-dimensional nutso.

Well, split personality is magic anyway, so you may as well use whatever's most fun. I think what he wanted to do is pick a different personality every day, but get to switch it up in combat.

Are the other players using Gestalt? If so, you should use a more powerful "switching" mechanism than if they aren't.

Brendan
2010-03-28, 10:08 PM
yeah. every 6-24 seconds is a bit fast. as said above, go back and forth by plot, or whenever you are startled or something. that fast changes and you end up doing nothing.

deuxhero
2010-03-28, 10:11 PM
There was an WoTC web article about a Paladin/Assassin split personality and how to work the rules out (no idea where to find it, D&D fight club perhaps?).

noiadodh
2010-03-28, 10:29 PM
For instance, the (cloistered?) cleric could be the dominant personality until things get tense or dangerous, wherein the crusader personality could take over to "protect" the character.

i lol'ed...