PDA

View Full Version : Standard Equipment for a 20?

Admiral Squish
2010-03-28, 09:03 PM
So, you're starting a game at 20. You have a ridiculous amount of money to spend as you wish, quite likely more on you than the entire kingdom has in it's treasury. So, what do you buy?

What, generally, do you take with you when facing down tarrasques and whatever makes a CR20 encounter? I've never made a character at this kind of level before, and I have like 400-500K left after buying all my basics. What now?

Temotei
2010-03-28, 09:05 PM
Wands can fill up some of it.

Tomes? :smallconfused:

What role are you going to fill?

Admiral Squish
2010-03-28, 09:06 PM
Tracker/Melee Beatstick. The character is a war troll, so he's got a butt-load of natural defenses, I'm just trying to shore them up a bit.

A specific wishlist includes:

A way to turn armor/natural armor into touch AC in a more-or-less permanent way.
Acid immunity, if possible
A way to duck those nasty SoD spells.

Temotei
2010-03-28, 09:14 PM
Miss chances are always good to have, so a cloak of displacement is a fine way to spend that money. The greater version gives you fifteen rounds of 50% miss chance while the minor version gives you infinite with 20% miss chance. Take your pick based on your GM.

Another option is a cloak of etherealness, allowing you to become ethereal for ten minutes a day.

Don't forget ioun stones. Some absorb spells.

If you don't typically have another source of luck bonuses, you could get a luckstone.

For 44,000, you can get energy resistance 30 against acid. For 240,000, you can be immune to it.

Those are all on the SRD.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-28, 09:18 PM
400-500k, I thought WBL at 20 was 400k...

+Stat items.
Magic weapon that does one or two types of damage (slash/pierce/bash)
Backup magic weapon that fills the gaps in damage type.
Light magic weapon for grappling (can also be the above backup)
Magic ranged weapon. A few magic arrows with extra abilities, bane, or something.
Blueshine and Everbright on all weapons.
Scrolls/wands if you got the cha for UMD.
Depending on allowable munchkinery, custom wondrous items are very abusive.
Skill boost items. Have multiple rings, swap them out as you need them.
Spell Effects: Synthesete (psion), haste (extra attack is needed for melee), vigor, heal, enlarge person, righteous might, etc. Any time you've found yourself wishing the wizard or cleric would buff you with a spell instead of an ally. Get that made into a wondrous item. 1-4/day is cheaper. If you need more per day, might as well go for continuously active.

Psi/magebane weapon. Soulfire armor.
What is the highest level character you've made? Perhaps 12? Take his wishlist, all the things you couldn't quite afford, and buy them.

Eldariel
2010-03-28, 09:21 PM
I equipped a bunch of level 20 Fighters for oneshots here:

Tarrasque Slayer #1 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163500)
Tarrasque Slayer #2 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=163711)
Tarrasque Slayer #3 (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164101)

Note that you should probably get Soulfire Armor [BoED] too as otherwise there are so many ways to ef you it's not even funny. And if you can't get Mind Blank, you'll want Ring of Mental Protection or similar; it's 120k but it'll save your life. Often. Also note that I wasted a ton more on AC than you should on all but the 3rd character (Magic Vestment helps and without it, you shouldn't just bother with AC at all); Starmantle Cloak is well worth the price btw. It's another 120k or so. Also, Ring of Blinking is probably the best form of miss chance (27k for 50% against many things and 20% against almost all) particularly if you have Pierce Magical Conealment-feat to negate your own.

Other than that, Boots of Temporal Acceleration are nice (who doesn't want Time Stop whenever?), Rod of Cancellation rocks, having a stack of Healing Belts to heal up after each fight is nice (get 100 or so), you obviously want a lot of extradimensional spaces and such. You definitely want Boots of Big Stepping or another source of Teleport that doesn't require Line of Effect; Walls of Force, Force Cages and such are painfully efficient at splitting you from your party or trapping you in the maw of chaos.