PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]How To Improve Natural Attacks: Lizardfolk Ranger

Weirdlet
2010-03-28, 11:05 PM
Hey, all- I've recently come into a Forgotten Realms 3.5 game and have been having great fun with my Poison Dusk lizardfolk ranger. We're at 5th level (I at 4th for LA), and I'm looking for advice on what to concentrate on in the future.

So far, my major tactic has been leaping out of the shadows/water onto orcs and biting their faces off with the natural attacks my character gets, while falling back on poisoned arrowheads from a shortbow for ranged stuff. What I would like to know, is how to continue having this whole 'miniature velociraptor' shtick into higher levels? I'd thought about monk with Ascetic Hunter to let things stack, but I'm not sure that's the route to go.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 01:11 AM
Unarmed Strike Damage != Natural Weapon Damage. Monk levels would give you more attacks overall (at a penalty to everything), but it wouldn't improve your Bite damage.

There are a few PrCs that increase Natural Weapon Damage. Thayan Gladiator (Champions of Ruin), Initiate of the Dragonic Mysteries (Draconomicon), along with a few spells (Greater Mighty Wallop, from Races of the Dragon, because your Bite attack deals all three damage types).

vrellum
2010-03-29, 02:43 AM
Is monk ever the best way to go?

Rogue, sneak attack and multiattack? If you've been catching your opponents flatfooted might work pretty good.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-29, 02:45 AM
Is monk ever the best way to go?

I could start an all new argument becuase of this but.... Monk is NEVER the best way to go with anything.

Rogue, sneak attack and multiattack? If you've been catching your opponents flatfooted might work pretty good.

Rogue is great idea.

Unarmed Swordsage is an even better idea.

Azernak0
2010-03-29, 02:47 AM

SA Fighter might better because it has the BAB. Might be a hell of a way to go with a load of attacks.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-29, 02:57 AM
If you really want to only use your bite the diamond mind warblade would probably work best.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-29, 03:37 AM
If you really want to only use your bite the diamond mind warblade would probably work best.

Tiger Claw works with natural weapons too. Don't lizardfolk have claws?

It'd be fun to see a lizardfolk character take Bloodclaw master levels.

Last Laugh
2010-03-29, 07:41 AM
It'd be fun to see a lizardfolk character take Bloodclaw master levels.
I throw my mouth at you!

Edit: this is also a feat from Savage Species for creatures with regeneration (detach a limb and chuck it at someone)

Critical
2010-03-29, 09:07 AM
Get Sneak Attack on them + Craven feat.

Weirdlet
2010-03-29, 09:18 AM
What's Craven/where's it from? It's not showing up in Crystalkeep's list.

Greenish
2010-03-29, 09:23 AM
I throw my mouth at you!That's more Bloodstorm Blade, isn't it?

Ernir
2010-03-29, 09:29 AM
What's Craven/where's it from? It's not showing up in Crystalkeep's list.

It adds your character level to your Sneak Attack damage. From Champions of Ruin.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-29, 11:04 AM
A level of Barbarian with the spirit lion totem (complete champion) to get pounce and whirling frenzy rage variant (UA and the SRD) which gives you another attack at a -2 penalty (IIRC) also get Improved natural attack to increase your bite damage.... maybe get the feat prensile tail (feat from Serpent Kingdom) which lets you use your tail to wield weapons, this way you can take your full attack with weapon and then your natural attack routine(you should also get multiattack to lessen the penalty).

Hope that helps.