PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms of the Sun IC

CrazedBanana
2010-03-28, 11:32 PM
The bustling trade city of Sandhaven rests within the vast Desert. The mysterious Drow ant caravans wend their way south from the Anthills to peddle their silks in the crowded streets of the Trade District. Ancient artifacts are unearthed in several digs to the west and brought back to the city, were they are examined carefully, then sold to the highest bidder. To the south are the Scalding Dunes, where no mere man treads for fear of the hideous beasts that lurk there, beneath the sand. All along the busy trade road to the west, bandits and brigands lie in wait for brash merchants. It is a desperate land, fraught with despair and doom for the unwary. The city is a packed metropolis, with every service available that the human mind could imagine, and several beyond that. Fortunes are made and lost within the city walls, and a constant struggle between religious piety and shady corruption rages quietly, while the city goes about its business. Do you have what it takes to survive? Or will you lose yourself within the sands?

CrazedBanana
2010-03-28, 11:43 PM
It is noon. The desert sun hangs high over the city. The city is going about its daily business. You are in a large square, with a fountain in the centre. Stalls with brightly coloured canopies fill the square, their owners selling items of many varieties and quantities, be it Drow spider silk, spices from the far east, or swords from the local dwarven smiths. People of all races pack the area, looking for something or other. You see Halflings, Shifters, Dwarves, and many other races that you can't seem to identify. Even demons stride through the crowd, not overtly hostile, but carrying themselves with a haughty demeanor. The smell of spices and strange people cling to the air. Describe yourself and what you are doing.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-29, 12:10 AM
While bargaining with a merchant, Eliana frowns at the brazeness of the demons to be walking around in broad daylight.

Abomnations, she says to herself, they should have listened to me when I said we should ward the city against them.

Reynard
2010-03-29, 12:26 AM
Paeraes, wearing fine, light brown robes of Drow make, a cheap and wide-brimmed hat, and a bored expression, leaned back against the fountains side and closed his spellbook, having spent the last few hours going through his spells. Sholia, his horse, drank from the fountain next to him, her body sheltering him from most of the sun's heat. Pulling his hat over his eyes, arranged his pack and cloak into a pillow and got mildly more comfortable.

Speaking to his companions: "Any luck finding work? Or even rumors? I've got gold to spare, but lounging around like this is not my sort of fun."

Today's Daily and Utility Spells:

Daily lv1: Sleep
Daily lv5: Bigby's Icy Grasp
Daily lv9: Wall of Fire

Utility lv2 Shield
Utility lv6 Invisibility
Utility lv10 Resistance

Pyron
2010-03-29, 12:30 AM
Tasmine's eyes felts strained and restless under the sun's light. The night before she's performed a few song at the Cracked Buckler, a seedy spice den, and the noxious blue smoke within that place took its toll - good night sleep be damned.

Still, she maintained her composure and good a long sip of water. Not too far from the square's fountain was a gazebo where Tasmine would play her lyre during the day. She decided to play a song that would appease Pelor - god of the Burning Hate.

Song being play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I) - Perform Check [roll0] (let's see if I can get a crowd going)

Pyron
2010-03-29, 12:32 AM
(( Let's try that again: Perform: [roll0] ))

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-29, 12:34 AM
Eliana manages to hear of Pelor spoken somewhere and breaks of her conversation with the merchant to follow the sound.

Pyron
2010-03-29, 02:44 AM
Tasmine continues to play her lyre until the sight of a Shunca (( Eliana )) entered her field of vision. She recognized this one, for her reputation as a demon-slayer is well known... they say she once ripped the beard of a Barbazu. Plus, if this woman is like any other servant of the Burning Hate, particular the ones Tasmine remembered in her time, then it's best not to draw her ire.

Still, Tasmine did her best to maintain the song but she was trembling. The chills down her spine were running deep.

ninja_penguin
2010-03-29, 09:43 AM
Pagrin, Dragonborn Barbarian

"Nothing so far." Pagrin growled in reply to Paeraes' query. "Giblun is still in one of his moods after our latest finds contradicted his pet theory. Ravrin's still purple and spouting nonsense from opening up the canopic jars of Sucheck-Ran, and Gro'bal didn't show up for the meeting, and I think there's a good chance he's scarab giblets by now." Pagrin shrugged in frustration, startling his riding camel with the sudden movement. "If I don't hear anything by the mid-day's horn, I'm going to try my luck on the other side of the caravan road."

King Tius
2010-03-29, 09:49 AM
A slim figure dressed in the white desert garb of the Drow approaches the fountain. The hood over her head obscures much of her face, though the pale white hair flowing out of the cowl leaves no room for guessing. Sylria draws near her companions and adjusts her hood, leaving her face in shadow but more visible to the rest of you.

"The sand feels heavy today. A good omen for the caravans. Have we found a fitting pursuit this day, or are we doomed to let another sun pass in waste?"

Reynard
2010-03-29, 10:55 AM

"Nothing so far." Pagrin growled in reply to Paeraes' query. "Giblun is still in one of his moods after our latest finds contradicted his pet theory. Ravrin's still purple and spouting nonsense from opening up the canopic jars of Sucheck-Ran, and Gro'bal didn't show up for the meeting, and I think there's a good chance he's scarab giblets by now." Pagrin shrugged in frustration, startling his riding camel with the sudden movement. "If I don't hear anything by the mid-day's horn, I'm going to try my luck on the other side of the caravan road."

"Last resort time, I suppose. *sigh* I'll go check out the Mages Guild. Maybe there's some incompetent who's too scared to go and explore the nearest ruin for themselves. Hell, if we're lucky, there might be some rogue wizard on the loose, although we would have heard something from the common folk if people started exploding or the dead started to walk."

Paeraes pulled himself up onto Sholia, then adjusted his hat and looked to Pagrin.

"Meet back here in an hour or two? If I lose you, I'll fire up a Sending."

Pyron
2010-03-29, 11:04 AM
Tasmine continues to play her lyre. She couldn't help but overhear some of the trouble people are having. An elf and dragonborn looking for work - they seem like the adventurous type. She even recognized the drow woman - the one the caravan folk revered to as the Witch of the Wastes.

She decided to help them out with a musical encore. She plucked the strings of her lyre to cast an Aria of Revelation. The enchanted song could give them some luck in their pursuits.

Aria of Revelation: [roll0]

Note: The Aria will give you all a +15 check to any one Arcane, Religion, Nature, Dungeoneering or History check when it comes to finding information.

Reynard
2010-03-29, 05:47 PM
"...Pagrin, there appears to be a Drow playing a lyre. I'm not sure if she's with the merchants, but that's a damn strange sight. Ah well, I'll be back in and hour or two."

He heads off into the city, looking for the tell-tale signs of a Mages Guild.

Streewise: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]

CrazedBanana
2010-03-29, 05:53 PM
A small cluster of people stand around listening to Tasmine play. Everyone's attention is grabbed when the cry of "Hey! Someone stop that man!" rings through the air. A tall, skinny man with a pointed beard shouts and point at a man in brown pants and nothing else starts to flee the square, a sack of something in his hand.
Roll for initiative everyone!
Thief-[roll0]

King Tius
2010-03-29, 06:00 PM
Sylria

Initiative: [roll0]

The Sorceress eyes the fleeing thief with disdain as she rolls up her sleeves.
(Will wait to post actual combat actions)

Reynard
2010-03-29, 06:06 PM
"Adventure comes to us, it seems."

[roll0]

CrazedBanana
2010-03-29, 06:54 PM
Sorry, just to clarify, this is going to start as a Chase Skill Challenge.

ninja_penguin
2010-03-29, 07:42 PM

"The best adventures always do." Pagrin said with a grin before taking off after the thief.

[roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-29, 09:11 PM
[roll0]

Eliana's head quickly whips around in response.
Halt discordiant! She shouts.

Pyron
2010-03-29, 09:20 PM
"...Pagrin, there appears to be a Drow playing a lyre.."]

(( Drow?? Boy, you really need to make a spot check (http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x36/redragnarok/Other/Tamsin.png). :smallsmile: ))

In a split second before the scream Tasmine stopped playing and looked towards the source of the commotion. She used the extra moment to study the thief and the victim hoping to pick up on any subtle clues - does she recognize the victim as a merchant or noble. What could the shirt-less man have taken. Meanwhile, she her hand inches towards her wand.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

CrazedBanana
2010-03-30, 08:38 PM
The victim is a merchant, selling all sorts of knick-knacks that he is trying to pass of as 'authentic artefacts'. The way the thief carries the sack suggests weight, and a faint clinking sound gives it away as gold coins. You can discern no else.
Now, Initiative Order.
Pagrin-30
Sylria-25
Paeraes-24
Tasmine-21
Eliana-9
Skill Challenge-Urban Chase, so,
Acrobatics:Dodge past an obsticle, leap from rooftop to rooftop, jump onto a raised surface, and so on.
Athletics: Run fast, push stuff out of the way, climb a wall.
Perception: Spot a shortcut, notice a pattern in the adversary's movement.
Streetwise: Use knowledge of urban settlements to locate shortcuts, use terrain to your advantage.

King Tius
2010-03-30, 08:41 PM
Can we post out of initiative order? If so, Sylria takes off after the thief, using her superior sand-running skills to catch up.

Athletics: [roll0]

ninja_penguin
2010-03-30, 08:53 PM

Pagrin gives out a happy bellow as the chase is on, pumping his arms and legs to try and run down the thief before he can get away.

(OOC: I can't just use combat sprint and catch him, can I? :smallbiggrin:)

[roll0]

CrazedBanana
2010-03-30, 10:41 PM
Yes, its fine if you post out of order.

The thief nimbly leaps over a weelbarrow full of cloth, and continues to run.
Pagrin sprints after, him, and plows straight through the wheelbarrow, gaining a slight lead. Sylria also starts after the thief, but gets caught up in the pushing crowd and loses some ground.

Pyron
2010-03-30, 11:09 PM
Tasmine watches the thief maneuver through the crowded street. She's feels a little reluctant to give chase - after all, it's not her affair to get involved in these matter. However, there might be a benefit

She plucked a few more strings on her lyre to dabble in another arcane song. Her recent enchantment from the Aria of Revelation might give her some knowledge. Something from the cosmos - a vision that could help her predict the thief's escape route.

Her oracle foresight is sometimes fickle, but it was worth a try.

[roll0] - Let's see if Tamsine can predict the thief's escape route.

(( OOC: Yeah, I'm pushing the envelope but I think this would be a one-time arcane check. Divine Oracle PP + Aria of Revelation should let me use the force get some six sense vision.))

Reynard
2010-03-31, 09:47 PM
Setting Sholia into a brisk trot in the direction the pick-pocket was running, Peareas pulled out his little magic orb, an item he'd only bought recently. Holding it aloft, he focuses on the thief running through the crowd.

"Kai sai maer, sharas."

Sleep (Int vs Will): [roll0]
Also, Orb of Imposition, just because it's a free action, and why not? If that hit, then he takes a -3 penalty to his first saving throw. If he fails that, he's out cold.

Pyron
2010-04-02, 10:50 PM
"Did you get him?"

King Tius
2010-04-02, 11:40 PM
OOC: I am waiting to post my action until we find out if the sleep works

Katana_Geldar
2010-04-04, 08:17 AM
[roll0]

Eliana uses her knowledge of Sandhaven to attempt to get ahead of the thief.

CrazedBanana
2010-04-06, 06:31 PM
(Sorry it took so long)
Paeraes: The thief seems to wobble a bit, and stumbles. Save [roll0].
Tasmine: You see a vague vision of the thief running right around a corner. You see a flight of stairs that will take you up to the top of the building. You take them, and jump down into the street where a yellow and red striped canopy breaks your fall. You bounce to the ground unharmed, and continue running after him, gaining ground. (Success)
Eliana:You recall that shortly ahead of the thief's path lies one of the busiest trade squares in the city, where he could easily lose you. Luckily, you also recall a tunnel that you could go through that would pop you out in front of the thief.(+2 to next athletics check made by anyone.)

ninja_penguin
2010-04-07, 09:07 PM

Pagrin's grin increases as he continues to make ground on the thief as he wobbles slightly. "Just give up and stop delaying the inevitable!" he shouts.

OOC: If possible, I'll pass the bonus on to somebody else who can use it.

[roll0]

Pyron
2010-04-09, 11:02 PM
The adrenaline rushed through Tasmine's as she leaped off the building. She didn't expect to get caught up in the moment, but prophetic visions can be... chaotic. It seemed like a good a idea at the moment. Still this chase might make an interesting story - an street-rat underdog against a juggernaut dragon man, an devious witch, a cunning enchanter and an ardent inquisitor.

Part of her almost wants to see the thief get away. It makes the story that more exciting. Still, there are other ways to add drama. Tasmine decided to test the thief's reflexes.

She clenched her wand and chanted: "By the wind of a thousand blades, this scoundrel will not evade..."

Blade Barrier: I create a U-shape wall in front of the thief's path.

Like this:
X X X
X t X

If he runs into it:
[roll0] and 5 on-going damage (save ends).

OOC: There's no attack roll for the power, so I'm not sure how this will be ruled in a skill challenge.

Reynard
2010-04-09, 11:14 PM
As the spinning wall of steel appears in the thief's path, Paeraes summons a wall of flame right behind him.

+ x x x +
+ x T x +
X X X X X

x= the Blades

X= Firey Death.

+= Floor

CrazedBanana
2010-04-17, 02:50 PM
The thief turns around looking for a way out. He sees that there is none, and hangs his head in defeat. The sack falls to the ground.

Katana_Geldar
2010-04-17, 08:09 PM
Eliana draws her mace and points it at the thief so he gets the message.

Put your hands where I can see them, recreant, while you explain to me just what is was that made you so desperate to steal it!

Intimidate [roll0]

With her free hand, but keeping a wary eye on the thief, Eliana picks up the bag the thief dropped. She then notices the other people around her. I appreciate the help in apprehanding this one. I believe that I can handle this from here, hand him over to the authorities once I have seen what he stole.

Eliana opens the sack and looks inside.

Reynard
2010-04-19, 09:42 AM
"Help? My lady, it was the Bard who cut off his path, and me who sealed the trap."

Peareas drops off his horse, and walks over to where the thief is knelt on the floor.

"Any reward goes to the Bard, though. I need work for excitement, not money, at this point. As for what he stole, I imagine it's little more than somebody's coin purse."

Pyron
2010-04-19, 01:03 PM
"There is no need to really thank me..." Tamsine replied, as the the whirling blades dissolved into sand. She took a step back from Eliana, not wanting to get confrontational with one of the Burning Hate's templars.

In the back of her mind, she wondered what kind of punishment they would await the thief. Back in her day, it was coming for the Burning Hate's knights to burn criminals alive.... then douse the flames quickly thereafter just so they lay in agony.

".... um, I think someone should go find that merchant. I think he would like to have his money returned to him. I can go look for him"

Reynard
2010-04-19, 01:30 PM
"I think the rightful owner would have seen the spectacle we caused, my cousin from the depths, and will be along shortly."

Paeraes removes his hat, and holds out a hand.

"Paeraes Shol, at your service."

Pyron
2010-04-19, 01:42 PM
"How can humans and elves be cousins... well, I suppose it's possible if a half-elf is involved."

Tasmine smiles and then shakes Paeraes's hand.

"Tasmine O'phog"

King Tius
2010-04-19, 02:53 PM
The sultry Drow sorceress saunters up to the gathering group.

"He gave up the chase that quickly? They're no fun to hunt if they've stopped running."

She looks around at those assembled and cracks a somewhat devious smile. "And what have we here?"

ninja_penguin
2010-04-19, 03:14 PM

"We've got a group of bounty-jumpers, that's what!" Pagrin said as he stalked up to Eliana, while gesturing at the thief. "Look, we get the reward first this time, then you can go and deliver his righteous punishment, repaying his moral debt, and so on and so forth."

Reynard
2010-04-19, 03:32 PM
Holding up a hand to block Pagrin's advance, the Elven wizard interrupts.

"Ease up, Pagrin. I don't recall you doing much to aid his capture. Since most of this success was down to Tamsine, I think it's fair she gets the most of the bounty, if there's one in the first place."

Paeraes smirks and slaps him on the shoulder, then nods to the new arrival.

"And the same question to you, Drow, what are you doing here?"

King Tius
2010-04-19, 03:42 PM
"I do not answer to you, Elf, nor to any other in this town."

Reynard
2010-04-19, 03:47 PM
"Then don't expect any answers yourself."

King Tius
2010-04-19, 03:56 PM
"I see respect is one of the many things our pale cousins lack." Turning to ignore Paeraes, Sylria addresses the others. "He has stolen and the desert demands that he be punished. You can collect the bounty on his corpse."

ninja_penguin
2010-04-19, 05:46 PM
Pagrin, Dragonborn barbarian

"Saw him first." Pagrin grumpily huffed under Paeraes' chastisement.

Pagrin frowned at Sylria's proclamation. "Sure, dead is easier, but they can't get in trouble again and then you can't get paid twice. Besides, some people" Pagrin gave a not-so-subtle head bob toward Eliana "get grumpy when things get all killing-like."

Reynard
2010-04-19, 06:00 PM
"Besides, who's going to pay for a dead pickpocket? Apart from us."

Katana_Geldar
2010-04-19, 06:24 PM
If all you are going to do is stand around him arguing about a bounty, it seems to me the best solution is for to take him away and none of you get any money at all. said Eliana rather stiffly.

Pyron
2010-04-19, 08:05 PM
"If you really want me advice, then I say we return this stolen money to merchant. If there is going to be any reward, it's going to be from him. I'll go an locate him."

Tasmine turned to the thief, avoiding eye contact with Eliana, and offered her deepest sympathy to the cutpurse. "I feel sorry for what's going to happen to you.... um, I'll be back."

And, Tasmine went off to locate the victimized merchant.

Katana_Geldar
2010-04-19, 10:33 PM
That sounds an even better plan than my own, Eliana admits as the bard runs away.

CrazedBanana
2010-04-28, 12:17 AM
"Please," the thief pleads, "don't hurt me, I only needed it so that i could feed myself."
You open the sack, and it is filled to the top with shiny gold coins. Almost too shiny.