PDA

View Full Version : soulbound weapon psiwarrior

gallagher
2010-03-28, 11:48 PM
Is it worth it? Yeah, you are nevebwithout your weapon technically, but what fighter doesn't have his weapon always at the ready?

Does it summon the same weapon every time? Like, can I enhance t outside of the level enhancement? Could I make it be a whirling blade, or a vampiric one?

I just see it as a way to not have to spend money on my greatsword, but instead just have a really good one without being able to make it do extra d6's of energy damage or some over kind if enhancement.

Also, I know that to be psionically focused I have to have least a power point available, but does it expend the point?

Optimystik
2010-03-29, 06:28 AM
Is it worth it? Yeah, you are nevebwithout your weapon technically, but what fighter doesn't have his weapon always at the ready?

Yes, it is worth it. The ACF is good because you get a martial weapon that scales with your level for free, and even better, you get free Weapon Focus - which basically refunds the bonus feat you spent on the weapon. You're also never without a weapon, which is the benefit Soulknives trade their entire class to get.

Now, you're not quite a soulknife - you can't call/sustain the thing in an NPF for instance, or Bladewind it - but your powers and feats of course quite easily make up for that, and nothing's stopping you from just keeping a normal weapon as a backup anyway. And unlike a Soulknife, you can start the game with a Martial Weapon rather than waiting until 5th level. You also get more choices as to what you can call than a Soulknife does, like flails and battleaxes.

The soulbound weapon is primarily a style choice - a way of making your Psywar more "psychic" than "warrior." But I don't see any reason not to take it.

Does it summon the same weapon every time?

Once chosen, yes.
Keep in mind that you can use Call Weaponry as normal to summon any other weapon you please. It doesn't have to be your Soulbound weapon.

Effectively, this ACF gives you a secondary use for the call weapon power at the cost of a bonus feat, then refunds the feat with Weapon Focus. That's really all it does.

Like, can I enhance t outside of the level enhancement? Could I make it be a whirling blade, or a vampiric one?

The ACF doesn't specify what enhancements you can add to it, only the point value, so I would assume that all enhancement lists are fair game - the one in the DMG for magic weapons, as well as the one for Soulknives, and even the ones in the MiC.

I just see it as a way to not have to spend money on my greatsword, but instead just have a really good one without being able to make it do extra d6's of energy damage or some over kind if enhancement.

Actually, you can add enhancements to it, by augmenting the call weaponry power when you call your blade. Even with just the Soulknife list you can add extra d6s of damage (Psychokinetic Burst) and other enhancements like Mindfeeder.

Also, I know that to be psionically focused I have to have least a power point available, but does it expend the point?

No, gaining/losing focus does not cost any PP. You just have to have one.

gallagher
2010-03-29, 01:23 PM
you, sir, are a great help. if i knew you personally, i would bake you cookies