PDA

View Full Version : Ubercharger general build?

Fiery Diamond
2010-03-29, 12:21 AM
Hey.

I know what an ubercharger is, but I don't know what a good example of such a build might be. Could someone point me to an ubercharger build or list off some feat and other character options for creating an ubercharger?

noiadodh
2010-03-29, 12:23 AM
Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper

can use power attack for full damage bonus without a penalty on attack rolls...

Terazul
2010-03-29, 12:25 AM
Don't forget the obligatory level of Barbarian 1 (Spirit Lion Totem Variant) for Pounce.

Also: size increases.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-29, 12:27 AM

That's a good start, but wait! Order now, and ge the Deluxe Package with Pounce so you can get a full attack on your Charge! Four attacks for the price of ONE!

And if you order in the next ten minutes, we'll even throw in some Gatling Tripper action into your Charger. Yes, my friend, with the investment of TWO humble little feats, you can get EWP: Spiked Chain and Improved Trip*, giving you the BEST of BOTH worlds!

Order yours TODAY!

*Cost does not include prerequisites for this feat

Samb
2010-03-29, 12:29 AM
Psionic options are deep impact, and psi lion charge. Also don't forget frenzied zerker who can make PA even better.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-29, 12:33 AM
Also don't forget frenzied zerker who can make PA even better.

With a chance of making it even better for the GM as you fail your Will save and insta-gib half your party

arguskos
2010-03-29, 12:36 AM
Take one level of Thayan Knight. Have the party Red Wizard cast a Hold Person on you when you start foaming at the mouth. Frenzied Berserker issue solved. :smalltongue:

Quietus
2010-03-29, 12:43 AM
Take one level of Thayan Knight. Have the party Red Wizard cast a Hold Person on you when you start foaming at the mouth. Frenzied Berserker issue solved. :smalltongue:

More popular solution is a simple Grease spell. No dex based skills = no balance = FB on his butt.

arguskos
2010-03-29, 12:44 AM
More popular solution is a simple Grease spell. No dex based skills = no balance = FB on his butt.
Well, yes, but I like mine more. :smalltongue:

Samb
2010-03-29, 12:59 AM
With a chance of making it even better for the GM as you fail your Will save and insta-gib half your party

Who cares about puny party members that can't take 7263845 HP of damage in one turn?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 01:15 AM

Oh for the love of Tzeentch...

That isn't the Ubercharger. The Ubercharger does use this, but this is standard Charger material. Ubercharger combines this with Spirited Charge, Battle Leap, Frenzied Berserker levels, Polymorphing into a Centaur, a Valorous Lance, Loin-Totem Barbarian (though the original used Psionic Lion's Charge abuse), and several Paladin spells in wands (and negates the possibility of the Frenzy happening until the spells are active).

The end result was a full attack with a damage output that made people cringe until the Hulking Hurler was discovered.

Mongoose87
2010-03-29, 01:39 AM
Loin-Totem Barbarian

Is that what I think it is?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 01:46 AM
Is that what I think it is?

Pounce. The original just abused a clause in Psionic Lion's Charge to get the ability to Charge as a free action, but they converted to CC's variant when someone requested the build be made practical. It opened up FB though, so it was a trade-off.

Quietus
2010-03-29, 01:59 AM
Pounce. The original just abused a clause in Psionic Lion's Charge to get the ability to Charge as a free action, but they converted to CC's variant when someone requested the build be made practical. It opened up FB though, so it was a trade-off.

I think he was referring to the Loin totem part. In which case yes, yes it is.

And no, you don't want to know how the pounce works, or what they do with it.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-29, 02:19 AM
NEVER forget your Valorous weapon enchant. It doubles your charge damage. :smallbiggrin:

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-29, 02:53 AM
Who cares about puny party members that can't take 7263845 HP of damage in one turn?

7263845 + d12, sir.

Wings of Peace
2010-03-29, 06:20 AM
7263845 + d12, sir.

I'm going to have to ask you to show me some ID and Strength Modifier sir.

Tytalus
2010-03-29, 06:43 AM
Loin-Totem Barbarian

Are those the ones with the weird dress code?

The end result was a full attack with a damage output that made people cringe until the Hulking Hurler was discovered.

Not that it matters much, but I'm fairly certain Hulking Hurler was discovered before the Term U(e)bercharger was coined.

Farlion
2010-03-29, 06:56 AM
Don't forget the obligatory level of Barbarian 1 (Spirit Lion Totem Variant) for Pounce.

Just out of interest, this is NOT the one from Unearthed Arcana right? (What sourcebook is it from?)
Because the 3.5 UA Lion Totem Barbarian gets Run as bonus feat on his first level, which kinda... well... sucks. But thats the only lion totem barbarian I know of.

Cheers,
Farlion

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-29, 06:58 AM
I'm going to have to ask you to show me some ID and Strength Modifier sir.

It was a reference to this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html).

Eloel
2010-03-29, 07:00 AM
Just out of interest, this is NOT the one from Unearthed Arcana right? (What sourcebook is it from?)
Because the 3.5 UA Lion Totem Barbarian gets Run as bonus feat on his first level, which kinda... well... sucks. But thats the only lion totem barbarian I know of.

Cheers,
Farlion

Complete Champion 'Spirit' Lion Totem Barbarian. Lose something (not sure what), gain Pounce.

Jack_Simth
2010-03-29, 07:08 AM
Complete Champion 'Spirit' Lion Totem Barbarian. Lose something (not sure what), gain Pounce.
Fast Movement is what's lost.

Person_Man
2010-03-29, 09:06 AM
Pounce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) + Optimized Power Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087) + Lots of Attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595) = Uber Charger

There are several other back door methods as well involving Tome of Battle maneuvers, Incarnum, Iaijutsu Focus, etc. But the most important piece of advice on uber chargers is to not over do it. There are plenty of ways to get thousands of points of damage per round. But the Tarrasque only has 858 hit points. Pushing your damage output up to absurd levels just forces the DM to make the encounters more difficult.

Eldariel
2010-03-29, 09:12 AM
I don't have the Übercharger handy, but this is the Uberercharger (http://web.archive.org/web/20080214233419/http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=401662). It's a name of a TO build to basically maximize the damage you can deal. Note though that that's an old build; I don't know if anyone statted the best one out, but I recall it deals damage that's best expressed in scientific notation already. Term "charger" covers most of the stuff in this thread.

The basic trick is getting a large base damage and maximizing the number of multipliers applying to it. There are lost of ways to say "2xdamage" and Ubercharger basically combines all of them to multiply his damage aplenty. Note that Uberercharger is done without mount, which would easily multiply his damage output.

Akal Saris
2010-03-29, 09:21 AM
Seriously though, Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper + Pounce does sum up 90% of the power behind any non-mounted ubercharger build.

The core of the build is refreshingly simple, it's the math that you have to do whenever you make a charge attack that freaking slows the game down. I've got a PC with a centaur ubercharger combining spirited charge and the above combo, and he spends almost as much time adding up modifiers and multipliers as the rest of the party spends on their round collectively (at least, since the hydra left the party).