PDA

View Full Version : Who to pickpocket in IWD II?

Eladrinblade
2010-03-29, 12:34 AM
I'm going to play through it again, and I never bothered the first time around.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-29, 10:07 PM
bump

I know somebody here knows something

Maxymiuk
2010-03-29, 10:36 PM
The only one I ever found to have something that's worth a damn is one of the helpers in the Targos shop (it's the one on the right, I think). You can steal a +1 all saves amulet off of him, which is great loot, considering you can get it at level 1.

Driderman
2010-03-30, 06:39 AM
Can't you just, you know, pick-pocket EVERYONE?

Trixie
2010-03-30, 11:15 AM
Can't you just, you know, pick-pocket EVERYONE?

This.

And everyone in charge has nice items, IIRC.

Mordokai
2010-03-30, 12:06 PM
The only one I ever found to have something that's worth a damn is one of the helpers in the Targos shop (it's the one on the right, I think). You can steal a +1 all saves amulet off of him, which is great loot, considering you can get it at level 1.

I belive you mean Lucky Ned, or what his name is. And what you get from him is basically an item that confers a wearer a +2 luck bonus, Lucky Ned's Knucle, or something like that. If I read rules correctly (and I may not, since Luck always baffled me), that gives you a +2 bonus on pretty much everything. But what shoots it over the top is the fact that this actually changes a dice roll. Aka, a +2 weapon doesn't help you if you roll natural one on a dice, since the roll still came up as a fumble. Luck actually changes natural one to three on dice roll. Which means you can never again fumble on d20. No more critical misses, no more failed saves on natural one... it is probably one the best items out there. It also expands the critical range of the weapons. Again, if I'm reading it correctly.

That's why it's pretty hard to pickpocket it. You need to have something like +40 pickpocket modifier or there around and it can only be safely done in HoF mode.

Douglas
2010-03-30, 12:33 PM
I belive you mean Lucky Ned, or what his name is. And what you get from him is basically an item that confers a wearer a +2 luck bonus, Lucky Ned's Knucle, or something like that. If I read rules correctly (and I may not, since Luck always baffled me), that gives you a +2 bonus on pretty much everything. But what shoots it over the top is the fact that this actually changes a dice roll. Aka, a +2 weapon doesn't help you if you roll natural one on a dice, since the roll still came up as a fumble. Luck actually changes natural one to three on dice roll. Which means you can never again fumble on d20. No more critical misses, no more failed saves on natural one... it is probably one the best items out there. It also expands the critical range of the weapons. Again, if I'm reading it correctly.

That's why it's pretty hard to pickpocket it. You need to have something like +40 pickpocket modifier or there around and it can only be safely done in HoF mode.
What's really ridiculous is that it applies to literally every die you roll. Attack with a longsword and roll 5 for damage? That's a 7. Cast Fireball at level 5 and roll 1+4+5+3+2 = 15 for damage? That's 3+6+6+5+4 = 24 damage. Attacking something with ridiculously high AC and you rolled an 18? That's a natural 20, automatic hit and crit threat. And so on.

Now if you manage to find some of the other items that boost luck (there's a rare ring that gives +4, I think), it really gets ridiculous - luck bonuses stack fully. Get +5 luck total, and all your d6s are permanently automatically maximized, your crit range expands by 5, and 15 or higher counts as a natural 20 and automatically hits.

Mordokai
2010-03-30, 01:01 PM
I believe maximum Luck bonus you can get is around +11. +2 from Lucky Ned's Knucle, +3 from Tymora's band (ring, you can wear two), +2 from bard song and +1 from spell. Which means that with right weapon, you can now score a critical on a roll of natural seven or more. It's really ridicilus. But all the luck items are random drops, with really low percentage of drops. But if you actually manage to get all of those (or simply cheat them in), your barbarian becomes a meat grinder and quite literally.