View Full Version : Woot! I'm going to be famous

dogmac
2010-03-29, 06:56 AM
Well....moderately famous.

For about a minute.

If you are in Australia.

And listen to Classical Music.

And they play it.

But I'm claiming fame anyway. ABC ClassicFM is doing a thing this weekend on "First classics" where listeners wrote in and talked about what was the first piece that really turned them onto classical music.

I wrote in.

And they rang me up this evening and recorded me talking about it.

Woot!!!!

Now, let's just hope they play it. Whilst I am listening :smallcool:

Fame, Fame, Fame, you are in my grasp. For a good millisecond at least.

(For the record, it was Mars from the Planet Suites by Holst. Because it gave me a panic attack. At school)

Yarram
2010-03-29, 09:25 AM
Gratz! :smallsmile:

Bursting your bubble however, it's not that hard to get on the radio... Whenever you feel like to be honest, especially because of talk-back radio shows. Just stay up till the wee hours of the morning listening to the ABC and you're understand what I'm talking about.

Heheh... Mars. I've played a concert band arrangement of it... The Tuba part put me off it forever. No. That's a lie. I still enjoy listening too it, but playing... Pheh!
It was probably the Lions March from Carnival of the Animals for me.

dogmac
2010-03-29, 05:14 PM
Yeah, but talkback isn't RADIO.

Talkback is broadcast garbage.

Rutskarn
2010-03-29, 05:30 PM
Besides, those people are calling for concert tickets that nobody would acquire of their own initiative, or to make jokes referencing their genitals. This is high culture.

Does that station have a website, you think?

dogmac
2010-03-29, 05:33 PM
That station does indeed have a website. I listen to the morning show streamed pretty much every day at work ('cause I have a girl crush on the presenter)

http://www.abc.net.au/classic

Starscream
2010-03-29, 06:02 PM
Wow, a fellow person who got to hear their voice on the radio.

I too have known that particular brand of fame. If you were in the Cleveland area in 1994 and were listening to Jammin' 92.3 around 10:30 at night, and got to hear Spoonman by Soundgarden, you have me to thank. You're welcome.:smallamused:

Ah, but the life of a local radio station song requester is a heady one. The parties, the television appearances, the red carpet events. It can go to your head. I had a friend who was a fellow Jammin' 92.3 song requester, and the pressure was too much. He got heavily into pill popping (they say Flintstones vitamins are not addictive, but I know better), and began hanging out with a bad crowd (those creep 85.6: The Grooooove requesters). I don't know what happened to him, but I still shed a manly tear whenever I hear his requested song: Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

So I say unto you, don't let the fame go to your head. Have your fun and get out. I myself left that life long ago. But I still have the memories, the awards, and residuals from my line of "You too can request a song" series of instructional videos.

dogmac
2010-03-29, 06:06 PM
Well, it's taken me a while to get back in there.

When I was a kiddie at university, I used to request stuff off the radio all the time (SAFM for those of you in Aus), until a radio announcer HUMILIATED me. The git.

I was a sweet shy thing hanging out with a gay friend and he tricked me into requesting "Let's go to bed" by the Cure.

The subtext didn't occur to my innocent mind.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-29, 06:07 PM
Its even cooler when you get to be the person talking in between songs, actually working for the music station :smallcool::smalltongue:

dogmac
2010-03-29, 06:16 PM
Nah, what is even cooler is if you are the one doing the progamming ON the radio station.

which, I should probably mention. I'm not.

My choices would be way better than anyone elses :P

Innis Cabal
2010-03-29, 06:19 PM
Ugh, no. Programming is a awful, boring, soul sucking job. I've never cared for a single Program director. Virtuless harpies every single one of them

dogmac
2010-03-29, 06:21 PM
Should suit me to a T then.

SensFan
2010-03-29, 10:41 PM
I got to host a half-hour show at a local University radio station a few years back. That was pretty sweet.

KuReshtin
2010-03-30, 01:33 AM
Wow, a fellow person who got to hear their voice on the radio.

I too have known that particular brand of fame. If you were in the Cleveland area in 1994 and were listening to Jammin' 92.3 around 10:30 at night, and got to hear Spoonman by Soundgarden, you have me to thank. You're welcome.:smallamused:

Ah, but the life of a local radio station song requester is a heady one. The parties, the television appearances, the red carpet events. It can go to your head. I had a friend who was a fellow Jammin' 92.3 song requester, and the pressure was too much. He got heavily into pill popping (they say Flintstones vitamins are not addictive, but I know better), and began hanging out with a bad crowd (those creep 85.6: The Grooooove requesters). I don't know what happened to him, but I still shed a manly tear whenever I hear his requested song: Closer by Nine Inch Nails.

So I say unto you, don't let the fame go to your head. Have your fun and get out. I myself left that life long ago. But I still have the memories, the awards, and residuals from my line of "You too can request a song" series of instructional videos.

In deed, I have also known the rush of being a song requester on local radio. it got to the point where requesting songs during the listener's request hour in the afternoons wasn't enough. I wanted more. So I started calling in during the morning show competitions as well. The ones where you can win stupid stuff, like a pound of coffee, or a promotional T-shirt (either for the radio station or for a new movie that's about to be released).
I once won 3 pounds of coffee in one of those competitions. I DON'T EVEN DRINK COFFEE!

I broke away from the addiction of calling in after I got up an hour earlier than I usually do to call in to win a video rental voucher for 5 films after having listened for four days for others not getting the "This chick is toast!" quote from Ghostbusters (0:05-0:10 of this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgq-HzT1WRs)).

My final loot from the radio station was:
- 3 pounds of coffee
- Promotional DVD of 'Anaconda'
- 3 T-shirts
- Promotional DVD, hat and T-shirt for the film 'US Marshals'
- Rental voucher for 5 free films

When calling in to a competition, the worst feeling is when you actually get through to the studio and they take your phone number, but then don't call you back.
If you don't get through at all, at least then you know that you didn't get through and that you don't have to worry about whether they'll call back or not.

Talking about his has made me want to call in to a radio show. Any show.
Need. To. Be. Strong.
Need. To. Resist.

RandomNPC
2010-03-31, 08:14 PM
I got to talk to the hosts on a local show here in the states 'cause they were talking about a talking elmo toy that said things the company didn't want it to. It was one of those interactive Elmo potty training books, it would say "Who wants to potty?" mostly because it was an Elmo potty training book, but I suspect Elmo may just be a bit off after doing so many kids shows.

Anyway, there were a few different ones out there but I saw one on the news the night before that said "Who wants to die?" odd thing is it was still the Elmo voice, but he seems like such a nice muppet. So we talked about that untill one of the co-hosts accused me of wanting to get in the directors pants and the call was dropped.

Tirian
2010-03-31, 08:45 PM
I hope you enjoy your fame.

I was once featured in a local radio news segment when our inner-city high school's math team was actually competitive at the county level. (I was the co-captain.) I've still got the cassette around somewhere. Mostly, my reaction was "Wait, do I really sound like that?"

dogmac
2010-04-03, 07:48 PM
Hmph, my moment of fame happened whilst I was at the park with the daughter and the dogs.

Bah!

Mando Knight
2010-04-03, 08:37 PM
(For the record, it was Mars from the Planet Suites by Holst. Because it gave me a panic attack. At school)

Mars, Bringer of War is an awesome piece, and was pretty much ripped wholesale for both the Super Mario 3 Airship theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uluRpTIK-lE), and the Quantum Explosion Dynamo theme (http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeSpekov#p/c/E1F8769C6C883CFC/10/aTqItoaSLaM) from Commander Keen 5.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-04-03, 09:30 PM
I got to be on the local country station way back in second grade. My whole class won a contest. The station gave use new computers, and we were recorded saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

dogmac
2010-04-03, 11:37 PM
now, the important question....

Do I sound like a complete dork?

http://twaud.io/6Bs

Quincunx
2010-04-04, 05:14 AM
I've squealed on-air, live--does that count?

We little ones (myself 9, my sisters younger) were rounded up at cartoon-o'-clock on a weekend morning, after my parents took a phone call and were about to make another. Turns out a co-worker of a friend had heard our name drawn from a hat during a call-in radio show to win a trip to Busch Gardens. My parents called, the win was confirmed, the phone was presented to the little ones, we squealed with glee. (The co-worker of a friend got a nice thank-you gift.)

Pika...
2010-04-04, 05:15 AM
Congrats!

And you did not have to do something silly like have 18 babies or sleep with a celebrity or something.

ClockShock
2010-04-04, 06:07 AM
Or both. Bonus points for having each with a different celebrity.

...now that would make some headlines.

Pika...
2010-04-04, 09:18 AM
Or both. Bonus points for having each with a different celebrity.

...now that would make some headlines.

Considering that one woman got 10mil for one celebrity without getting pregnant I could just imagine...

Decoy Lockbox
2010-04-04, 11:04 AM

IF Holst gave you a panic attack, then stick this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlatOLl0NDg) in your pipe and smoke it!

Assuming we can talk about smoking music on these boards. I dunno, it might violate the CoC.

Mythestopheles
2010-04-04, 02:39 PM
IF Holst gave you a panic attack, then stick this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlatOLl0NDg) in your pipe and smoke it!

Assuming we can talk about smoking music on these boards. I dunno, it might violate the CoC.

Good boy, you linked to a more user friendly song. A really good one at that.

As for the mars, I'm not into classical music too much, but I kinda like it.

dogmac
2010-04-05, 06:36 PM
Damn, I do sound like a dork

dogmac
2010-04-05, 11:38 PM
Ha! Death metal doesn't scare me at all.

Phae Nymna
2010-04-07, 11:43 PM
I love Mars! My school's orchestra did it last fall and it sounded fantastic. Actually, I think it was a medley. Mercury, Mars, Venus, perhaps?

Anywho, the french horn parts were gooooorgeous, so I was in HEAVEN.