PDA

View Full Version : Good Steampunk RPGs?

Ice&Fire
2010-03-29, 07:31 AM
My gaming group has been looking to play a steampunk RPG, and I've been looking around. What steampunk RPGs does the playground enjoy playing, and what systems are good mechanical wise and/or fluff wise? (run of the d20 system is kind of a plus, but open to anything)

oxinabox
2010-03-29, 07:33 AM
Iron kingdoms is a d20 Steampunk rpg.
IT's very similar to dnd 3.5
(but steampunk, instead of magical)

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-29, 07:35 AM
Spirit of the Century!

It is more pulp than steampunk, but it can easily be modified to any post-war scenario (it can also be modified, albeit not as easily, to a non-post-war scenario).

Also, Genius: the Transgression fan-supplement for new World of Darkness and GURPS are obvious choices.

bosssmiley
2010-03-29, 08:19 AM
Forgotten Futures (http://www.forgottenfutures.com/)
Space: 1889 (http://www.heliograph.com/space1889/)
Spirit of the Century

The Glyphstone
2010-03-29, 08:50 AM
Iron Kingdoms +1. I'm not entirely certain about the mechanical (mechanikal?) aspect - guns are apparently a mess - but the fluff for IK is win and awesome.

Zergrusheddie
2010-03-29, 08:55 AM
Maybe, just maybe Eberron. Could run magic like Full Metal Alchemist used alchemy; it's based on 'science' and therefore is not magic. Might require some extra effort on the DM though.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-29, 08:58 AM
Why, Unhallowed Metropolis, of course! (http://www.hallowsevedesigns.com/unmet.html)

It's more Tesla-Punk than Steampunk, but it sure has it's dose of mad science and pseudo(or Neo, in this case)victorian going-ons. Love it!

Attilargh
2010-03-29, 09:21 AM
Iron Kingdoms +1. I'm not entirely certain about the mechanical (mechanikal?) aspect - guns are apparently a mess - but the fluff for IK is win and awesome.
The guns really are a mess, the rules for mechanikal items are arcane, one of the new classes is downright useless, the rules for the iconic giant robots are glossed over, and the rules in general are infested with unnecessary complexity that adds nothing to the game. If you've ever wanted eyestrain to have mechanical effects, Iron Kingdoms is the game for you.

Aside from the various mechanical issues, I feel the rules do a bad job of emulating the setting as presented in the Warmachine and Hordes wargames. This might be just my distaste for Vancian casting, though.

But if you're more interested in settings than rules, I must agree with everyone who says Iron Kingdoms is a setting made of awesome and steam-powered robots that are awesome.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-29, 09:28 AM
Why, Unhallowed Metropolis, of course! (http://www.hallowsevedesigns.com/unmet.html)

It's more Tesla-Punk than Steampunk, but it sure has it's dose of mad science and pseudo(or Neo, in this case)victorian going-ons. Love it!

+1 for Unhallowed Metropolis, even if it's got a bit of a focus on the nonliving. In a similar vein, Deadlands may be up your alley, although it's got more of a Wild West feel to it.

EDIT: Also, Genius: the Transgression could serve you well.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-29, 10:06 AM
Dragonmech. It's D&D, but with giant mechs. Some of which are steam-powered. Plus there's other steam-powered things. Do it.

DSCrankshaw
2010-03-29, 10:08 AM
There's also d20 Past, which is a campaign settings for d20 Modern. The problem is that it's not really highly developed--there's just one very thin campaign book as far as I know, and the rest is based off d20 Modern. It does cover some steampunk concepts, though.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-29, 10:45 AM
Whaoh, another UnMet fan! I thought I'd never find one. Care to trade experiences?

BRC
2010-03-29, 10:56 AM
Dragonmech. It's D&D, but with giant mechs. Some of which are steam-powered. Plus there's other steam-powered things. Do it.
You intrigue me. Where can I find this?

Warpwolf16
2010-03-29, 11:10 AM
Iron Kingdoms, favorite steampunk setting by far.Minor amount of gods, and the concept of chaos vs. order!...menoth and the Devourer Wurm, Tharmar, Cyriss, Scryah, Nyssor, Dhunia, Stone Fathers, and Toruk.The new classes seem decent, and the Monsternomicons are fun, I own volume one and all creatures have plots hooks so you can always include them.

Dragonmech on the otherhand is like post apocalypse steampunk, since the lunar rain.I like the flavor of it and the fact you can use giant mech's for epic combat.More then one kkind of mech, and the STEAMBORGS.

Ozreth
2010-03-29, 12:52 PM
surprised nobody has said shadowrun.

BRC
2010-03-29, 12:52 PM

Because that's not Steampunk.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-29, 02:05 PM
You intrigue me. Where can I find this?

It's made by Goodman Games, and I think it's DL'able from their site fo' a fee.

Warpwolf16
2010-03-29, 02:19 PM

thats urban fantasy cyberpunk :smallsigh:

Deth Muncher
2010-03-29, 03:37 PM
thats urban fantasy cyberpunk :smallsigh:

Though, to be fair, cyberpunk came first, and as a result is an ancestor of steampunk. Regardless, not be steampunk it are.

Tetsubo 57
2010-03-29, 05:02 PM
OGL Steampunk
Sorcery & Steam

Motman
2010-10-02, 12:34 PM
Castle Falkenstein. Set in 1872 in a Europe with advanced steam technology, magic, faeries, dragons (all right intelligent magic using pterosaurs), and of course the political intrigue of the Great Game. it is a softer steampunk setting more inline with Vern's Voyages Extraordinare rather than a giant eath-shaking steam mecha. While the physical book is out of print, you can find it at DriveThrough RPG (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=castle+falkens tein&x=0&y=0&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1). There is also a GURPS version of it out that can be used to play the game.

Vaynor
2010-10-02, 12:48 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.