PDA

View Full Version : Dance Fighting (Feat - PEACH)

Lysander
2010-03-29, 09:32 AM
Dance Fighting

Prerequisite: Perform (Dance) 5 ranks

Benefit: You are a master at popping and locking, getting down, and showing off funky moves to disorient opponents in combat. As a swift action each round you may either add +1 to your attack roll or +1 to your AC as a dance bonus. When backed up by music you may apply a +1 dance bonus to both your attack roll and AC. Any situation that denies you your Dexterity bonus also denies you dance bonuses.

Drackhyo
2010-03-29, 09:36 AM
I'd say it's too powerful, I mean, there is already a whole feat for a +1 to attack and another for a +1 to AC. Simply leaving the +1 to both with music would be good. Maybe an extra bonus for bardic music (really not sure about this one)

Jack of Spades
2010-03-29, 09:47 AM
To balance, maybe make it so that you may not move more than 10 feet per turn while dance fighting (you can't move much when throwing your limbs about to the beat), you may only 'start' dance-fighting once per encounter (it would be silly to be able to pop in and out of a groove). Full attacks can't be made in medium or heavy armor.

Possibility for more feats: specific bonuses for the style of music being played (Krunk: you may make an additional unarmed attack each turn) (or something) :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-03-29, 09:52 AM
I guess it might be a little strong. I figured that requiring ranks in perform (dance), which aren't usually that helpful otherwise, balances it out while allowing for some nice roleplaying flavor.

What if using the feat took a move action instead of a swift action? I think that makes more sense anyway...

Merk
2010-03-29, 09:54 AM
Cool, but I think it's underpowered. It's okay at low levels, especially if you're comparing it to feats like Dodge and Weapon Focus, but it doesn't scale at all and at middle or high levels looks like it would be somewhat insignificant. Also it eats up a swift action every round, which is something that neither of those feats do IIRC.

Here's an idea. Once per encounter, you may substitute your AC with a Perform (Dance) check as an immediate action. If an enemy misses you while you dance-dodge, that enemy is flat-footed against your next attack.

This would be in-step with feats like Martial Study. You could also give additional benefits (e.g. free stand, bonus against trip, etc.) via skill tricks.

Ashtagon
2010-03-29, 10:14 AM
How about this:

Dance Fighting

You can use a series of dancing and weaving to make yourself harder to hit.

Prerequisite: Perform (Dance) 5 ranks.

Benefit: Each round in which you are dancing you must spend a move action to dance. If you stop dancing for one round, you must rest for five minutes before you can begin dancing again. If you are knocked prone, your dance is automatically ended.

Each round you are dancing, make a Perform (dance) check. If the result of this check is superior to your Armour Class, use the check result instead of your Armour Class for that round. Additionally, as part of the move action spent maintaining the dance, you may move up to half speed.

Alternatively, instead of using the dance to improve your Armour Class, you may use the dance to dance past opponents. This works like the Tumble skill, except that you substitute your Perform (dance) check result for the skill Tumble check result.

Regardless of whether or not you are dancing, standing up is always a free action for you.

Ossian
2010-03-29, 10:18 AM
How about this:

Sweet. Itīs like Mugen from Samurai Champloo! :smallsmile:

http://studiocyen.net/images/mugen.jpg

Jack of Spades
2010-03-29, 11:04 AM
Still seems like there should be a restriction on (at least) heavy armor. I'm trying to imagine someone in full plate dance-fighting, and it just looks silly :smalltongue:

At the very least, you should apply the dancer's armor check penalty to the dance check.

Ashtagon
2010-03-29, 11:26 AM
Still seems like there should be a restriction on (at least) heavy armor. I'm trying to imagine someone in full plate dance-fighting, and it just looks silly :smalltongue:

At the very least, you should apply the dancer's armor check penalty to the dance check.

I considered an armour penalty, but there's something clever about the mechanics going on. Since the dancing only provides a benefit if your skill check result exceeds your AC, the more armour you pile on, the less relevant the feat becomes.

Although it would be perfectly justified to say you can't dance in medium or heavy armour, despite this:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dance_Steps_for_Space_Hulk

Jack of Spades
2010-03-29, 11:35 AM
Although it would be perfectly justified to say you can't dance in medium or heavy armour, despite this:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dance_Steps_for_Space_Hulk

Conceded, because Space Marines should dance :smallbiggrin:

Lysander
2010-03-29, 11:42 AM
How about this:

Nice. That's much better.

There could be a seperate feat that allows you to make a dance check for your attack roll called "Serving"

Ashtagon
2010-03-29, 11:53 AM
Nice. That's much better.

There could be a seperate feat that allows you to make a dance check for your attack roll called "Serving"

If you allow for attack rolls with a dance check, then armour penalties should definitely be applied to the dance check.