PDA

View Full Version : Place your bets

denthor
2010-03-29, 12:49 PM
One of the order has failed dismally at a gather information check.

Who will find the right person to link up that lousy illusionist?

NerfTW
2010-03-29, 12:58 PM
Because this wasn't already being discussed EVERYWHERE ELSE, and as noted, he didn't fail if there wasn't any information to be had from that group in the first place.

Optimystik
2010-03-29, 01:18 PM
He did fail, it just wasn't his fault.

And I'm betting that they all lose, and Girard's friends find them. Though Haley is a strong bet herself.

Gift Jeraff
2010-03-29, 01:19 PM
The Linear Guild.

Ancalagon
2010-03-29, 01:20 PM
The comic was "Elan gathers information" and I assume the next comics will be this (not necessarily in order and some might be condensed in one comic-update):
"Haley gathers information"
"Roy gathers information"
"Durkon gathers information"
"Vaarsuvius gathers information"
"Belkar visits the whorehouses"

Then followed by
"Success at gathering information"

All of the above provide a lot of nice opportunities for fun and also character-specific tones.

shadowkiller
2010-03-29, 01:24 PM
Because this wasn't already being discussed EVERYWHERE ELSE, and as noted, he didn't fail if there wasn't any information to be had from that group in the first place.

Either way Elan did not get any information so it was still unsuccessful, but since this topic is about guessing who will find the information first I will wager my +2 longbow on Haley.

megabyter5
2010-03-29, 01:31 PM
I think all five of them will fail at gather information, and Belkar will find out completely by accident.

Optimystik
2010-03-29, 01:52 PM
The comic was "Elan gathers information" and I assume the next comics will be this (not necessarily in order and some might be condensed in one comic-update):

Then followed by

Ugh, I hope not. I'd rather it be:

"Elan gathers information."
"Elan meets the Order, who relay their similar failures to gather information."
"Success (via late member - Haley - or via Girard's group making the first move.)"

Anything more than that is filler.

BatRobin
2010-03-29, 02:39 PM
I think all five of them will fail at gather information, and Belkar will find out completely by accident.

Roy gets beat up, Haley gets mugged, Durkon stumbles upon a tree shop, V will go into a mental breakdown, Elan we already know, and yeah, I agree.

Studoku
2010-03-29, 02:59 PM
Then followed by
These don't have to be seperate events...

Optimystik
2010-03-29, 03:20 PM
Roy gets beat up

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Gandariel
2010-03-29, 04:04 PM
Ugh, I hope not. I'd rather it be:

"Elan gathers information."
"Success (via late member - Haley - or via Girard's group making the first move.)"

AND WE LOVE OOTS FILLER!

BatRobin
2010-03-29, 04:54 PM
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Did you not notice all the irony? Haley, getting mugged?

Ancalagon
2010-03-29, 05:07 PM

Well, if it's funny, I don't see a problem here. ;)

Liwen
2010-03-30, 09:02 AM
If OotS was still a 'gag of the day' comic, I would still follow it religiously, provided Rich wouldn't have expanded all the comical material there is to be about a D&D parody (which is rather extensive, enough to make about 10 years worth of 3 strip a week gags I wager). The introduction of plot, drama and the perfect mixture these new elements have formed with the original humor just makes it even better, much better.

I bet 10 gp on Belkar unintentionally initiating a chain of events that will forward the plot, and that he will never learn he did so.

Optimystik
2010-03-30, 09:29 AM
Did you not notice all the irony? Haley, getting mugged?

I did notice that one, but Durkon and V were played straight, which confused me.

Well, if it's funny, I don't see a problem here. ;)

If I'm given a choice between jokes + story, and just jokes, I'm always going to prefer the former. Even in strips that advance the plot, the Giant's pretty good at working in some silly. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html)

Ancalagon
2010-03-30, 01:38 PM
If I'm given a choice between jokes + story, and just jokes, I'm always going to prefer the former. Even in strips that advance the plot, the Giant's pretty good at working in some silly. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0693.html)

And how would the "Main Heroes Doing their Story Research" not be Story? It might not advance the story a lot but it'd surely not be what you would call a "filler". The "Intermission" or the "Order answers Questions" was something you can call a filler.

Apart from that: I prefer story in general but if a good joke update comes "once in a while" I also don't mind that.

Optimystik
2010-03-30, 01:53 PM
And how would the "Main Heroes Doing their Story Research" not be Story?

A whole strip each watching them separately fail delivers exactly as much narrative information as one panel where they all regroup and simply state that they failed.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 02:42 PM
One of the order has failed dismally at a gather information check.

Was that a gather info check? It seemed more like a diplomacy check to ask someone something they didn't know.

Optimystik
2010-03-30, 04:26 PM
Was that a gather info check? It seemed more like a diplomacy check to ask someone something they didn't know.

It wasn't Diplomacy. He wasn't trying to influence their attitudes, just get a reaction.

You might make a case for Bluff, given that he was trying to pass himself off as one of them, but even that was too momentary to count as true deception imo.

Fitzclowningham
2010-03-30, 05:01 PM
Agree with megabyter5 that it will be Belkar, but not by accident. The kind of people who hang out in whorehouses and other low places will recognize Belkar as one of their own - he'll fit in, and they'll want to help him.

My 2cp.

denthor
2010-03-30, 06:34 PM

Then followed by

All of the above provide a lot of nice opportunities for fun and also character-specific tones.

The first one is right on the mark. Two of the Order down.

Gift Jeraff is still in the running with the Linear Guild

Ancalagon
2010-03-31, 03:40 AM
I tell you what: If I also got the order right, my "I told you so dance" will truely be epic (include CAPS)!!!!11

amuletts
2010-03-31, 10:26 AM
I agree with Stu42, I think Balkar will find the information whilst incidentally visiting a whore house :)

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-31, 07:22 PM
I'll put a bet on V. He's* been kicked pretty low and could use the boost.

Ancalagon
2010-04-01, 03:50 AM
He's* been kicked pretty low and could use the boost.

Where has he been kicked low? Last time I looked, he ran at full speed at a rock pillar, totally on his own.

denthor
2010-04-01, 08:27 AM
Where has he been kicked low? Last time I looked, he ran at full speed at a rock pillar, totally on his own.

Which comic are you referring to?

mastermind
2010-04-01, 09:15 AM
I'm putting 10 gp on they find the order.

Nimrod's Son
2010-04-01, 09:16 AM
Which comic are you referring to?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/metaphor

Kish
2010-04-01, 09:17 AM
I'm putting 10 gp on they find the order.
Recursion?

Swordpriest
2010-04-01, 05:10 PM
I think it will be Belkar, but that the experience may be fatal for him.

Optimystik
2010-04-06, 12:14 AM

Hmm... close, but only part of a cigar.