PDA

View Full Version : Why is my computer doing this to me?!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-03-29, 04:18 PM
Starting around noon this morning, every single time I close the lid on my laptop, the laptop spontaneously shuts down! And when I reboot, it says, "Windows did not shut down properly". Why is it doing this?! I just want the laptop to go into sleep mode when I close the lid like it did before! I checked the settings and nothing's changed! I use an HP Pavilion dv7; please help!

Jack Squat
2010-03-29, 04:23 PM
What version of Windows?

Try a system restore.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-03-29, 04:24 PM
What version of Windows?

Try a system restore.

Vista, unfortunately. :smallfrown: We can't really afford to get a new system right now, and I don't dare to ask my parents...

EDIT: ...And it seems to be working now. I have no clue what the **** just happened. :smallconfused:

Jack Squat
2010-03-29, 04:31 PM
I've never had a problem with Vista actually - though I will admit I much prefer 7. Just trying to figure out what happened to cause the change.

Did the system restore fix things? nevermind. If it happens again, note everything that happened on the computer before it stopped working.

MethosH
2010-03-29, 06:06 PM
If you haven't changed anything it sounds like a hardware problem.
Once you are sure of that you can try to take the laptop to the assistance.
On the other hand you can just not close the lid :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2010-03-29, 07:35 PM
If you haven't changed anything it sounds like a hardware problem.
Once you are sure of that you can try to take the laptop to the assistance.
On the other hand you can just not close the lid :smalltongue:

Nah, it's not hardware. Auto updates and cleaning the registry can mess it up. When I had Vista, there was a period where it wouldn't hibernate at all - turns out that the feature just got disabled by something weird happening in an update. Going into the terminal fixed it pretty easily.

hap_hazard
2010-03-29, 08:16 PM
Control Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what happens when I close the lid?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-29, 08:45 PM
Starting around noon this morning, every single time I close the lid on my laptop, the laptop spontaneously shuts down! And when I reboot, it says, "Windows did not shut down properly". Why is it doing this?! I just want the laptop to go into sleep mode when I close the lid like it did before! I checked the settings and nothing's changed! I use an HP Pavilion dv7; please help!

Wait, it shuts down only when you shut the lid...stop shutting the lid?

Ravens_cry
2010-03-29, 08:47 PM
In the future, your computer will gain sentience, and attempt to overthrow the human race. You, with your supreme technological savvy, will put a stop to this revolution.
Your computer has received instructions from itself in the future to drive you to madness and Luddism,so you never gain the skills to defeat it when the War begins.
I know this because you sent me a message from the future.