PDA

View Full Version : Blindsense or Blindsight in a prestigeclass?

woulez
2010-03-29, 04:19 PM
Hi, I'm currently building a campaign for some casual playing in 3.5 and one of the major NPC roles in it I wanted to be a blind veteran fighter but for that I wanted to find a prestigeclass with either blindsense or blindsight.

Help me out a little here, I cannot for the love of *** remember or find a prestige class that gives those special qualities, do you know if there is one, and in which book it is in?

Wings of Peace
2010-03-29, 04:25 PM
Starting level? Because you might be better off just comboing Magical Training, Practiced Spellcaster, MindBender, and Mindsight

Saph
2010-03-29, 04:27 PM
Horizon Walker gives Tremorsense, which is pretty close, but you need at least 6 levels in the class to take it.

jiriku
2010-03-29, 04:30 PM
If he's a DMM cleric of sufficient level, he can cast blindsense on himself and persist it pretty easily.

woulez
2010-03-29, 04:33 PM
The NPC's level doesn't matter, the PC's shouldn't be interested in killing him off........

...yet :smallamused:

oh, and I suppose DMM is short for Divine Metamagic right?

Person_Man
2010-03-29, 04:34 PM
From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff):

Blindsense
Dragon Disciple 5 (ECL 10), DMG, 30 feet, 60 feet at level 10
Scout 10, Complete Adventurer
Blindsense, wild feat, Complete Adventurer, 30' limited duration
Warlock 6, Complete Arcane, voidsense invocation, 30'
Dungeon Delver 5, ecl 12, Complete Adventurer, 30 feet
Sacred Fist 6, ecl 11, Complete Divine, 10 feet
Geomancer 9 (stage 5 drift), ecl 15, Complete Divine, 30'
Focused Perception, feat, Complete Psionic, 60', see text
Ardent Dilettante 9, ecl 14, Planar Handbook
Dragonborn template (mind aspect), Races of the Dragon, at 15 HD gain blindsense 30 feet
Disciple of the Eye 5, ecl 10, Races of the Dragon, 30 feet or plus 30'
Glaring Eye, graft, Races of the Dragon, 30'
Atavist 5 (insightful spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, 5'
Ardent Dilettante 9, ecl 14, Planar Handbook, 10 feet
Willing Deformity (Tongue), vile feat, Heroes of Horror, 30'
Yrthank Mask, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, 10' or more, see text
Soulsight, incarnum feat, Magic of Incarnum, 5' or more, use as move action, see text
Elder Spirit, soulmeld, Dragon Magic, 5'/essentia
Voidsense, Dragonfire Adept invocation, ecl 6, Dragon Magic, 30'
Cyre Scout 7, ecl 10, Eberron: Dragonmarked, variable range and duration, see text
Wildhunt Elite, shifter feat, Races of Eberron, 30', while shifting
Dream of Perception, dreamtouched feat, Eberron: Secrets of Sarlona, no range given
Eye of Lloth 1, 4, 7, 9/10, ecl ?, Drow of the Underdark, 10' each
Ebonmar Infiltrator 9, ecl 14, Cityscape, 5'

Special Mention
Lifesense, feat, Libris Mortis, living creatures provide points of illumination
Mindsight, feat, Lords of Madness (not really blindsense... arguably better, but requires telepathy)
Thief of Life 1, ecl 3(?), Faiths of Eberron, gains "lifesense"
Dragonstalker 9, ecl 14, Draconomicon, foil blindsense 1/day
Killoren Hunter, feat, Races of the Dragon, pinpoint location within 30' if have line of effect

Blindsight
Eye of Gruumsh 5, ecl 11, Complete Warrior, 5', 10' at level 8
Scout 20, Complete Adventurer, 30'
combat awareness, feat, PHB2 - 5'
Henshin Mystic, PrC, Oriental Adventures
Shade Hunter 10, ecl 15, FR: Champions of Ruin, 30'
Slime Lord, PrC, Player's Guide to Faerun
Blindsighted, weapon enhancement, Underdark
Blindfold of True Darkness, item, Arms and Equipment Guide, p.130, Grants 60' Blindsight and immunity to gaze attacks, but negates all

other vision
Tentacle whip, symbiote, Eberron Campaign Setting - the symbiote has blindsight 60 feet and can communicate what it "sees" telepathically
Cerebral hood, symbiote, Fiend Folio - see above
Necrocarnum Circlet, soulmelt, Magic of Incarnum, 30' for undead only
Shadow Mantle, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, 5' or more, see text
Orthos, vestige, ecl 17, Tome of Magic, 30'
Umbral Disciple 7, ecl 12, Magic of Incarnum, 10' per essentia
Scorpion Wraith 4, ecl 9, Eberron: Secrets of Xen'drik, 60' limited use, see text
Devil's Sight, feat, Fiendish Codex II, grants darkvision and limited use blindsight 30', see text

But I wouldn't bother with any of them. There's also magic item in the Magic Item Compendium that provides Blindsight for dirt cheap. Blindfold of something or the other. Just buy one of those.

woulez
2010-03-29, 04:39 PM
ah, nice... thank you

Segial
2010-03-29, 04:41 PM
There is a feat for Blindsight 5' in the old Sword & Fist sourcebook and one in the Masters of the Wild, but both have rather harsh requirements not really suitable for a fighter. The Earth Dreamer PrC (Races of Stone) gives Tremorsense. For an old fighter would not the blind-fighting be enough though?

olentu
2010-03-29, 04:50 PM
But I wouldn't bother with any of them. There's also magic item in the Magic Item Compendium that provides Blindsight for dirt cheap. Blindfold of something or the other. Just buy one of those.

That might be the blindfold of true darkness as I recall it was reprinted in the magic item compendium with the blindsight cut back to 30.

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-29, 07:07 PM
You could have an intelligent sword that tells him where his enemies are.

woulez
2010-03-29, 08:08 PM
You could have an intelligent sword that tells him where his enemies are.

that might work too actually... I might go for an item instead of getting it through a class or PRC. So It's probably gonna be the blindfold from Arms and Equipment Guide or some kind of Intelligent item... gonna check around some more on that.

As usual, thanks! :smallcool:

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-29, 08:24 PM
There is a feat for Blindsight 5' in the old Sword & Fist sourcebook and one in the Masters of the Wild, but both have rather harsh requirements not really suitable for a fighter. The Earth Dreamer PrC (Races of Stone) gives Tremorsense. For an old fighter would not the blind-fighting be enough though?

You might be referring to this feat over here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius). But yes, having a Wisdom of 19 is really shocking, unless you also get Zen Archery/Intuitive Strike and go either Monk or unarmed Swordsage. Even then, the reduction is really, really small (and pointless for archers, of course); since you'll have high Wisdom if going this path, you can get to use the Combat Form Feats if you like. Or get Combat Awareness and more Combat Form Feats.

What's odd, though, is that Hearing the Air isn't present. I recall that also gives blindsense (though 30 feet, IIRC), and it's a stance so you can turn it on or off as a swift action (and gain the benefits of other spells).

Coupling blindsense and blindsight is a good idea if one has a larger range than the other and you can easily couple the two: one is for pinpoint and the other is to deny the benefits of concealment, invisibility and whatnot.