PDA

View Full Version : Swarm Form Spell[3.5]

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-29, 05:23 PM
I recently looked up this old spell called swarm form and thought it was interesting, however the spell was 3.0 and the form taken was based off that of the summon swarm spell. Swarms functioned very differently back in 3.0 so simply put its not compatible.

Now you can't really become a swarm with regular polymorph at least not with any benefit, the stuff like distraction and the weapon resistances are all special qualities which you wouldn't gain.
So I thought I'd take a stab and making in 3.5 compatible.

Swarm Form
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level (D)

The swarm form spell allows you to transform your body and all worn and carried possessions into a swarm like that created by the summon swarm spell. Casting the spell initially restores lost hit points as if you had rested for a full day.

You can transform yourself into a warm of the animals or vermin. The assumed form can't have more Hit Dice then your caster level (or the subject's HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15HD. Your type changes to match that of the swarm.

You gain the strength, dexterity and constitution scores, but retain your intelligence, wisdom and charisma scores. Unlike polymorph you gain both the extraordinary special attacks and qualities of the base form.

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

As a swarm you are immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures, with the exception of mind-affecting effects as you retain your intelligence score and possess a hive mind. Though your type may limit what can actually effect you, as a swarm of vermin or animals you'd be immune to hold person but not hold monster.

In addition you are vulnerable to things that have special effects against swarms, you take half again as much damage(+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area such as splash weapons and many evocation spells. Weapon vulnerabilities are dependent on the form taken.

You can not cast spells with verbal, cometic, material or focus components, any and all equipment worn or carried melds into the swarm and becomes nonfunctional.

FishAreWet
2010-03-29, 05:35 PM
You realize this grants Immunity to Weapon damage?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-29, 05:44 PM
That would be much the point of becoming a swarm, it could be limited to swarms of tiny creatures, but then you do lose virtually all ability to cast spells.
No verbal or somatic and good luck carrying your spell components, that 2lb pouch weighs way to much.

FishAreWet
2010-03-29, 05:54 PM
Doesn't weigh to much when you have spells making you stronger. But yes lacking components makes it much more difficult, but not impossible, to break. Anything that casts spells as SLAs will just keep this on all day. Or take Silent and Still and it's honestly not that bad.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-29, 06:29 PM
Most PC's don't have much in the way of spell-like-abilities and you shouldn't balance a spell on the off chance a demon/monster or the like takes wizard levels to learn it the spell. It should be balanced off PC usage as the first priority.
If its unbalanced in the hands of a monster then the DM shouldn't give it to the monster.

Bull's Strength effects a single target, so it can't be cast on the swarm form, I suppose I should add something to the effect the swarm forms physical scores override any enchantments from spells cast before hand that couldn't have been cast on the swarm its self.

hiryuu
2010-03-29, 07:51 PM
Is casting this the same as casting cloudkill or magic jar? Is it better than casting summon swarm? I think the level should be lowered a bit, myself.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-29, 08:58 PM
Is casting this the same as casting cloudkill or magic jar? Is it better than casting summon swarm? I think the level should be lowered a bit, myself.

Well the original version of the spell back in 3.0 was 5th one above polymorph self. I saw no reason to change that.
And your comparing offensive magic to what is primarily a defensive magic.

New Version.

Swarm Form
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min/level (D)

The swarm form spell allows you to transform your body and all worn and carried possessions into a swarm. Casting the spell initially restores lost hit points as if you had rested for a full day.

You can transform yourself into a swarm of the animals or vermin. The assumed form can't have more Hit Dice then your caster level (or the subject's HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15HD. Your type changes to match that of the swarm.

Once the form is chosen you may shift back and forth between swarm form and your regular form for the duration of the spell. Discorporating into the swarm is a standard action, reforming into a your natural form is a full-round action.

You gain the strength, dexterity and constitution scores, but retain your intelligence, wisdom and charisma scores. Unlike polymorph you gain both the extraordinary special attacks and qualities of the base form.

You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.

As a swarm you are immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures, with the exception of mind-affecting effects as you retain your intelligence score and possess a hive mind. Though your type may limit what can actually effect you, as a swarm of vermin or animals you'd be immune to hold person but not hold monster.

In addition you are vulnerable to things that have special effects against swarms, you take half again as much damage(+50%) from spells or effects that affect an area such as splash weapons and many evocation spells. Weapon vulnerabilities are dependent on the form taken.

You can not cast spells with verbal or somatic components, any and all equipment worn or carried melds into the swarm and becomes nonfunctional, spells with material or focus may be difficult as the components would be difficult for the swarm to carry.