PDA

View Full Version : True Blood RPG?

DementedFellow
2010-03-29, 05:43 PM
What system would best lend itself to the True Blood series? Season 2 is showing again and they are gearing up for season 3. If you have any season 2 spoilers please put them in spoiler tags for any Johnny-come-latelys.

I've never read the books as I'm told the series is a big departure from the books in a number of ways, so please let's just stick with the tv show for now.

I'm wanting to think of d20 Modern, but I know it's kinda lacking in what I'm looking for. Any other ideas?

Tengu_temp
2010-03-29, 05:49 PM
World of Darkness?

DementedFellow
2010-03-29, 06:12 PM
World of Darkness?

World of Darkness seems a little dark for True Blood, no? Isn't there a little more of a campy system?

Cedrass
2010-03-29, 06:14 PM
Vampire: Requiem is really the system you want. It's just perfect to be honnest. Add in Werewolf: The Forsaken and just the basic World of Darkness rule book, and you can pretty much create any character from the show.

Maryann could be a bit hard to recreate, but really, it's not that hard with a bit of homebrewing.

World of Darkness seems a little dark for True Blood, no? Isn't there a little more of a campy system?

Not really, it all depends on how dark you want it to be. Sure, the fluff in the books make it seem dark, but the rules inside do not really force you to make it dark and gritty.

Jerthanis
2010-03-29, 06:24 PM
Isn't True Blood a Vampire story? Wouldn't Vampire: The Masquerade or Vampire: The Requiem be a pretty good system?

Otogi
2010-03-29, 06:28 PM

Actually, it's good for a monster-mash/scooby-doo game.

bosssmiley
2010-03-30, 09:48 AM
Kitbashed (o/n/a)WoD should be good enough for redneck (Tru Blood)/bishy (Twilight World of Sparkliness) vampire games.

aWoD (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49857) - WoD done right (ie: with room for Jack Burton, Blade and Sam & Dean in it, but no splat sprawl)

clockworkmonk
2010-03-30, 09:51 AM
Savage Worlds.

The Answer is always Savage Worlds

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-03-30, 10:09 AM
Fishmalks. 'nuff said.

imperialspectre
2010-03-30, 04:10 PM

While some White Wolf fanatics will be offended and claim that WoD is SRS BSNS and should be read as dark gothic horror (with lots of sex and violence, natch), it's about as campy of a system as you can find. IMO, it's much more entertaining to read WoD books as a parody of stereotypical horror stories than it is to do the mental gymnastics required to actually take the books seriously.

And yes, aWoD is infinitely better mechanically than the actual White Wolf products are.