PDA

View Full Version : Improving Fort Save

Splendor
2010-03-29, 08:44 PM
Hello,

Alright I am playing a bard Bard 6/Ruthar 3/ Lyric Traumaturge 1 and I notice my Fort save sucks... Going into Sublime Cord next level and I don't see it getting any better.

Base Fort save +3, +2 from 14 Con, +1 Luck of Heros, +1 resistance. Total of +7.

I do plan on getting a better resistance item.

Is there a feat better than Greater Fortitude I can take at 12? (or maybe swapping my 9th level feat for?)

Is there any feat that allows you to swap a Will save for Fort save?

Flickerdart
2010-03-29, 08:47 PM
Where's your Cloak of Resistance?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 08:54 PM
Obligatory Shape Soulmeld (Pauldrons of Health) plug.

Oh wait, you're a Ruathar...

Hawk7915
2010-03-29, 09:11 PM
Martial Study: Mind Over Body? Once per encounter, you can make a concentration check instead. Not great, but it could be worse. Totally not worth it if you don't have at least 8 ranks in concentration (since otherwise, Great Fortitude is a bigger boost to your saves).

Thurbane
2010-03-29, 09:16 PM
If your cloak slot is taken, there's the Vest of Resistance in the MIC...there's also an armor enchantment in the MIC that gives a bonus to Fort saves.

You'd lose SC casting levels, but 2 levels in Paladin (of Freedom) would net you CHA to all saves.

Cumbrous Fortitude gives +6 to a Fort save, but leaves you staggered for the rest of the encounter.

Glimbur
2010-03-29, 10:15 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune is a helpful spell, but expensive to rely on often at this level. It's in Spell Compendium, and among other options lets you add your Cha modifier to your Fort save.

Ianuagonde
2010-03-30, 06:07 AM
My wizard has made good use of a Headband of Consious Effort. Once per day, make a Concentration check instead of a Fort save. I think it's from the MIC, but I'm not sure as I don't have acces to my books right now.

Drend
2010-03-30, 06:16 AM
Manual of Bodily Health +4 and Amulet of Health +6 out of the question? That's an additional 5 with those 2 items. Not only will they increase your fortitude save, they'll also give you some hit points.

Panigg
2010-03-30, 06:45 AM
Manual of Bodily Health +4 and Amulet of Health +6 out of the question? That's an additional 5 with those 2 items. Not only will they increase your fortitude save, they'll also give you some hit points.

Not really in his price range at level 10. A +4 con item and a +3 cloak check in at 25k gold, which is not too bad tho.

Gives a hefty +4.

Person_Man
2010-03-30, 09:40 AM
Retrain the piss poor Luck of Heroes to something else. For example:

Evil Blessing: As a Standard Action you gain a Profane bonus to your Saves equal to your Cha score. This lasts 5 rounds. If you damage to an enemy with a Good subtype or aura, the bonus is doubled. Elder Evils pg 13.

Fearless Destiny: Once per day when you are reduced to -10 or fewer hit points, you are instead reduced to -9 and stable. Races of Destiny pg 152.

Shape Soulmeld: As Sinfire mentioned, Pauldrons of Health will give you Immunity to Disease, Sickened, and Nauseated, and you can pump essentia into it (if you have any) to get an enhancement bonus to your Fort Save.

There's also spells. You have UMD and full Bardic casting. Plenty of things buff your defense. Protection from Evil/Good/etc, anything that buffs or Polymorphs your Con, Ironguts (Spell Compd), etc.

You might also want to change your tactics. Instead of fighting enemies head on, consider standing in back, summoning, buffing, and using battlefield control.

Eldariel
2010-03-30, 09:50 AM
Yeah, Ruin Delver's Fortune and the X Resistance-line of spells from Spell Compendium are the answer. Along with obvious Con-buffs (it's the most important stat to buff anyways). On level 4 spells, you can have Greater Resistance for +3; level 6 = Superior for +6.

Wasting too much resources is meh. Focus on blocking LoS, being Invisible, countermagic and such. Get as many passive bonuses as you can and go to town. And yeah, Headband of Conscious Effort is a good idea, though "Ring of the Diamond Mind: Mind over Body" [ToB] is actually better. For 3k, you get once per encounter Fort-save as Concentration (that is, you gain the ability to use the maneuver "Mind over Body" which replaces Fort-save with Concentration-check) - takes Initiator Level 5 to use, but that's precisely what you have from 10 levels in non-Initiator classes. Headband of Conscious Effort is a good additional tool, of course; for a grand total of 5k, you do it once in each encounter and a second time when truly need be.

Also, yeah, Runestaves and such could expand your spells known-selection; just worth noting as spells are quite good at protecting you. For crying out loud, don't waste feats on this. And yeah, obviously you have maxed ranks in Concentration, right? 'cause otherwise the Concentration-tricks aren't much good. But you're a caster so you do have maxed Concentration, yes?

If not, Circlet of Mages [MiC] gets you +2 to Concentration and allows you to retain spell slots. It's only 5k too. Third Eye Concentrate [MiC] would get you +10 for 10k, but that's all it does. Tunic of Steady Spellcasting [MiC] adds +5 to all Concentration for 2.5k.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 10:04 AM
Along with items to up you saves, you could also find items to up you con.

edit: there are classes that allow you to add other ability scores to saves (paladin gets to add cha to all their). Just a thought.

Thurbane
2010-03-30, 05:41 PM
Armor property: Stamina (+1 = 500gp, +3 = 4000gp, +5 = 8000gp)

Headband of Conscious Effort = Concentration check in place of Fort save 1/day = 2000gp

Talbot
2010-03-30, 08:38 PM
A level of Factotum will let you to add your Int to your save once per encounter, more times if you take more levels/FoI. Only worth it if your Int is 3 or higher, obviously.

Draz74
2010-03-30, 09:12 PM
"Ring of the Diamond Mind: Mind over Body" [ToB] is actually better. For 3k, you get once per encounter Fort-save as Concentration (that is, you gain the ability to use the maneuver "Mind over Body" which replaces Fort-save with Concentration-check)
This.

But you're a caster so you do have maxed Concentration, yes?
Unless he has Melodic Casting, that is.

A level of Factotum will let you to add your Int to your save once twice per encounter, more times if you take more levels/FoI. Only worth it if your Int is 3 or higher, obviously.

Fixed that for you.