PDA

View Full Version : NPC Interactions

rubycona
2010-03-29, 08:46 PM
I try to make my game for the players, where I try to limit my own interaction and keep the spotlight on them. I already have such a major part at the table, being as I run the entire world, all the NPCs, the shop owners, the monsters; I've no lack of input, and I don't want to ever seem like I'm trying to hog the spotlight.

I start to have problems with multiple NPCs, though. A single NPC, I can interact / have dialogue with the PCs, no problem, because the PCs are still in the spotlight.

But what do I do if I want to have multiple NPCs? Do I sit there talking to myself, roleplaying out multiple parts? (It probably Would be amusing, I guess XD) Should I try to hastily cover what the NPCs are doing? (IE, "The noblemen bicker between themselves over whether or not you are worth hiring," or whatever)

With that example, if I roleplay it out, the PCs hear both sides of the argument (why Noble 1 wants to hire them, and why Noble 2 thinks they're not worth hiring), at the disadvantage of me basically completely running the show for 5 minutes or whatever. But just saying they bicker leaves out so much info about what the Nobles are thinking and why.

It's tough, because if I illustrate anything, or ask for perception rolls and tell them they notice something, or ask for Sense Motive checks, then something's obviously up. But roleplaying it out, I can slip stuff into the dialogue that they can react to (say, Noble 2 hates elves), that they may or may not catch, something I very much enjoy with one-on-one dialogues.

I even had the thought to script out NPC dialogues, and record them with a partner so the voices are different, and play it out during the game. At least it'd be different voices than just mine, and I wouldn't be sitting there talking to myself. Though, that's probably more trouble than it's worth, and certainly doesn't help with off-the-cuff games. I've also had the thought of writing out a script for a PC (who's volunteered) to read, so I have Someone to banter with, beyond myself. That still leaves the problem of the script being out-dated if the PCs decide to do something unexpected (which PCs seem obligated to do XD)

I have thus far been able to dodge it, but sometimes, it'd just be a hell of a lot easier to just have 2 NPCs talk to each other, or interact with each other in some way, rather than striving in some way to keep the PCs in the spotlight of every single interaction they have.

I wish I had a Co-DM >.>

What works for you guys?

Ormur
2010-03-29, 08:54 PM
I agree, it's awkward having to talk to yourself so I try to shift the burden to the NPC's if there is an interrogation or something like that. If you want to have the PC's witness some sort of a meeting I don't think having two NPC's talking to each other for a short time is bad if you can handle it but somehow encouraging the PC's to take part in the discussion would be best. If it's an actual conversation between the PC's and multiple NPC's you just have to make sure they know which NPC is saying what.

valadil
2010-03-29, 09:08 PM
I summarize for the exact reason you describe. The players should be in the spotlight, not the GM. Yeah, a little bit of the conversation is lost, but I think it's worth it. Most of the time I can organize things so the PCs only deal with one NPC at a time.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-29, 09:13 PM
If there are multiple NPCs talking to the PCs (and its not a combat situation) the NPCs will probably be allied with eachother, allowing them to select a spkesman to talk to the scary heavily armed psychotic tramps. Even if you have two NPCs who are feuding, have one adopt a sullen silence until the first speaker leaves. Additionally, if an NPC is on the players' side, assume that they want the PCs to take the lead, since that will keep said NPC out of any duels (verbal or otherwise) and allow them to safely observe the opposition while the PCs talk.

Occasionally, however, NPC-NPC dialogues can be useful. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0308.html)

rubycona
2010-03-29, 10:19 PM
If there are multiple NPCs talking to the PCs (and its not a combat situation) the NPCs will probably be allied with eachother, allowing them to select a spkesman to talk to the scary heavily armed psychotic tramps. Even if you have two NPCs who are feuding, have one adopt a sullen silence until the first speaker leaves. Additionally, if an NPC is on the players' side, assume that they want the PCs to take the lead, since that will keep said NPC out of any duels (verbal or otherwise) and allow them to safely observe the opposition while the PCs talk.

Occasionally, however, NPC-NPC dialogues can be useful. (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0308.html)

That link is hilarious XD I can just see me doing that, too, and looking just that silly. I guess what I'm getting here is it's ok, in very limited situations, to roleplay with myself, but if there's not something crucial in the dialogue, to stick with summary/descriptions of the dialogue/interaction instead.

Jarawara
2010-03-30, 09:42 AM
Become a writer.

Not full length novels, mind you - not even short stories. Just write individual scenes, conversations, and pertinent behind-the-scenes actions.

Have them available to present to the players ahead of time, or, if it comes up unexpected in mid-session, just tell the players you'll have a write up of the conversation available for the next session.

When presenting the 'story', say: "The nobles get into a debate over whether or not to hire you..." (or whatever the issue is) "...until finally you have to interrupt them to get them to focus again on you. In their petty squabble, they cite the pros and cons of the issue. If case you think those points might be pertinent, or if you wanted the full text of the debate in any case, I wrote out the full conversation for your review."

Using this technique, you can give a full-blown conversation between NPC's, as well as actions, possibly even a full-blown fight, while not using more than a few minutes of game time. If you write the story to be nothing more than a partial scene, then there's still time to insert the reactions of the PC's (including responses, whether it be dialog, or swordplay). Just let the players read the story, and proceed immediately into the gameplay of that scene as presented.

I've used that technique to bridge the action from one week to the next. We end a session in the middle of a roleplay scene, I write a story over the week, continuing the conversation (allowing me to add some pertinent dialog that was missing from the gameplay), and then at the end of the 'story', some of the caravan guards outside of town come straggling in, calling for help, as their caravan had just been attacked. We start the next session with the conclusion to the roleplay ready to present to them, and right into an action scene.

If the players had some questions or dialog they wanted to say before the caravan scene, it's fairly easy to backtrack, assume they asked their questions before the alarm went up, and then we progress the game forward to the action scene again. Or, if the players were tired of dialog and roleplay, I was able to present them pertinent clues in the dialog of the story, while still allowing the game to proceed almost immediately to happily killing stuff.

A tip: It can be useful to include some dialog and actions of the PC's within the scene you are presenting -- however, you must have permission from the players in order to do so, or must be willing to undo any action or dialog that the player says he would not have done.

A further tip: When using a story-scene to present key information to the players, try to add some hidden meanings within the dialog as well. They'll have a copy of this story to refer to much later on, and it can be quite the amusing revelation when they realize you gave them a critical clue way back when, if they had only analyzed what the nobles were really debating. Of course, be prepared for the players to start watching for this - and be ready to accept the consequences of the players figure out the plot earlier than expected (if you didn't hide the clues cleverly enough).

Another tip: Get your players writing too! Whether it be material to add to the ongoing storyline, or if it's background information or character-developing side stories, it's all good.

Plus, as a side benefit, you add to the volume of written game summary by having all these mini-scenes on file. I run my games on-line, so I have all the gamechats saved. Then add the stories and mini-scenes, and I probably have enough to write a full novel. And about seventeen sequels.

*~*~*

Note: This technique is not for everyone. Some people can talk their heads off with ease, then freeze up when trying to write any of it down. I'm actually the opposite - I can write lengthy texts rather fast, but put me in a room of people and I clam up. I game online - because I suck at gaming face to face. If you can't write, use the intent of this technique, but with a tape recorder instead of a word processor. Use a video player, and you can post videos of yourself on YouTube, and show off your skills as an actor. (That may or may not be desireable.)

I myself found that writing came easily except for two things: Starting, and Ending. So I don't bother with either, I just start in mid-scene, present what I have in mind, and then just abruptly end without a conclusion. After all, it's up to the players to conclude it!