PDA

View Full Version : The Hydra Knight PrC

Angry Bob
2010-03-29, 09:59 PM
A new version of this is further down in the thread.

Hydra Knights are swordsmen that use a bizarre style that makes fighting them seem like fighting many men.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +9
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Skills: Sleight of Hand 6, Balance 6
Alignment: Any Chaotic. Originally, the Hydra Style was employed by those who fought for the sake of fighting, but is now practiced by any with the skill it takes. It still requires its users to be somewhat unhinged, though.
Other: Must be Humanoid.

Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, Swim
Skills/Level: 2 + Int Mod
Weapon/Armor Proficiency: A Hydra Knight gains no additional proficiencies.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +2| +0 | Erratic Stance
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0| Light-Footed
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1| Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Erratic Stance +2
5th | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Bizarre Wielder
6th | +6 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Surefooted
7th | +7 | +5 | +5 | +2 |
8th | +8 | +6 | +6 | +2 | Fleet of Foot, Erratic Stance +3
9th | +9 | +6 | +6 | +3 | Windmill Strike
10th | +10 | +7 | +7 | +3 | Bizarre Wielder (+1 arm), Erratic Stance +4[/table]

Class Features

Erratic Stance: A Hydra Knight is trained to appear to be everywhere he isn't. At level 1, a Hydra Knight gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC, which increases by +1 at level 4, level 8, and level 10.

Light-Footed: A Hydra Knight can flip, tumble, and slide to attack from angles inconceivable to most enemies. At 2st level, whenever a Hydra Knight makes a tumble check to avoid attacks of opportunities, he may treat all enemies he would have provoked attacks of opportunity from as flanked until the end of his next turn. This ability only functions as long as the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

Greater Two-Weapon Fighting: A Hydra Knight gains Greater Two-Weapon Fighting at level 3 as a bonus feat, whether or not he meets the requirements.

Bizarre Wielder: The defining ability of a Hydra Knight is perhaps his strange approach to fighting with multiple weapons. Hydra Knights have been seen wielding two weapons in one hand, wielding weapons in their mouth, or even juggling their weapons to make many more attacks than would seem possible.

At fifth level, a Hydra Knight is treated as having one more manipulating limb for the purpose of wielding one-handed or smaller weapons. He cannot hold weapons he is not proficient with this way at all.

In addition, a Hydra Knight may make expanded use of his Two-Weapon Fighting feats(Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting).

He may make additional attacks granted by these feats with this third weapon as though is were an off-hand weapon, as well as additional attacks with his normal off-hand weapon.

Attacks with weapons held in this "arm" are treated as though the "arm" had a strength modifier of +0.

An attack made with a weapon in this "hand" is immediately dropped if it misses. This ability functions only while the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

At 10th level, a Hydra Knight gains an additional virtual "arm" that works exactly like the other one.

Surefooted: At level 6, a Hydra Knight may take ten on all tumble, Sleight of Hand, Balance, and Jump checks, even if circumstances would dictate otherwise as long as he's wearing light or no armor.

Fleet of Foot: A Hydra Knight's style demands a degree of alacrity and dexterity above and beyond the human average. At level 8, A Hydra Knight's Land speed increases by 10 ft.

Windmill Strike: A Hydra Knight attacks by flailing, windmilling, and spinning in a storm of spikes and sharp metal edges that would be impossible for any other warrior. At level 9, a Hydra Knight gains the pounce special ability.

gallagher
2010-03-29, 10:35 PM
The pounce ability comes too late, bubi like the overall flavo of the character, especially the odd ways to get more attacks

gallagher
2010-03-29, 10:38 PM
Also, I assume this was designed at heart for a haracter along the lines of ranger6/rogue4

DragoonWraith
2010-03-29, 10:43 PM
You can make a table like this:

[ table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 | Erratic Stance[/table]
But without the space between the [ and table.

Which gives this:
1st | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 | Erratic Stance[/table]
This will make your PrC much easier to read.

Temotei
2010-03-29, 10:46 PM
I barely read anything, but I caught the fast movement ripoff at a really late level. Make that better. Maybe scale it, maybe allow haste a few rounds a day, maybe give a bigger bonus...but a ten-foot increase is nothing--especially at level...seventeen.

Zexion
2010-03-29, 11:28 PM
You really need a class table to make this legible.

Krazddndfreek
2010-03-29, 11:34 PM
This class is very weak. It gets abilities some characters can get at level one, but at level ten. The only would-be redeeming quality would be the "extra arms" but even that is weak, as it's treated as an off-hand weapon that doesn't apply your strength bonus. On top of this, every time you miss with that attack you drop that weapon, with your lowered attack bonus, you're likely to do this alot. Definitely needs some more and better abilities, and lose the drawbacks of Bizarre Wielder

Fiery Diamond
2010-03-30, 12:50 AM
Helloooo, Hachibi!

What? Tell me that's not where you got the idea!

Mongoose87
2010-03-30, 01:21 AM
Neat, but not particularly strong. The entry requirements seem somewhat prohibitive.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-30, 02:00 AM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww94/JaliscoMex_MT/RoronoaZoro.jpg
"O hai guyz!!1! Sum1 cal 4 mi?"

The intent amuses me greatly, but I can see there being room for improvement. For starters, I'd ditch the prerequisite feats and grant this modified one at PrC level 1:

Hydra Style Fighting
Benefit:
You can make as many attacks with each extra weapon as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus. You still take the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Thus, you get your whacked out fighting style minus the hassle of making existing feats do what they shouldn't. A simple -2 modifier in order to flail against foes with 4 "arms".

From there, I'd probably look to lowering the entry level of this thing. I mean, a BAB of +4 should be enough, and there's no sense in forcing all those feats. I mean, what if the player wants to be a strong type like the character who's image I used above?

Heck, drop the odd extra "hand" and Pounce down to PrC level 2, and you've got an ECL6 guy charging in with 6 attacks (ditching the str penalty) at +4,+4,+4,-1,-1,-1 plus Str or Dex (with the optional Weapon Finesse). Freaking hilarious.

Revlid
2010-03-30, 02:57 AM
"O hai guyz!!1! Sum1 cal 4 mi?"[/CENTER]

And at higher level:
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/378/476712-03_super.jpg

Overall I like the idea a lot, but it looks like it could use some work.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-30, 03:47 AM
It's deeply cool, I know that much.
Why not make it a bonus hand every other level, and give them an automatic upgrade to the Multiweapon Fighting feats?

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-30, 03:54 AM
Now that I think about it, perhaps my own suggested fixes need to be reconsidered. The use of extra "limbs" pretty much cries out for precision damage. Hell, turning the major class features into rogue special ability options would pretty much turn all of this into gold in fell swoop. Imagine a Thri-Kreen(sp) rogue with pounce, that suggested feat, and two additional limbs busting out a barrage of flat-footed ouch at BAB +13, +13, +13, +13, +13, +13, +8, +8, +8, +8, +8, +8, +3, +3, +3, +3, +3, +3... That's a potential +180d6 at lvl 19 with straight rogue and no gimmicks. That's ToB levels of melee mayhem without all of the built-in claims of "anime/wire-fu" pollution.

Angry Bob
2010-03-30, 08:41 AM
That's ToB levels of melee mayhem without all of the built-in claims of "anime/wire-fu" pollution.

That's kind of the idea.

...but a ten-foot increase is nothing--especially at level...seventeen.

It is weak, but at this point, I just wanted to get the idea out there, for it to have some abilities related to its theme, and to showcase the bizarre wield style. It'll probably change.

Helloooo, Hachibi!

Never heard of him.

You can make a table like this:

Thank you. I'll put one in this post and the original post.

I'll apply changes in a bit, but here's what I'm thinking:

- The original version had sneak attack, to synergize with Light-Footed, but looking back, a skirmish progression would actually work better, I think.

- Many of you want to lose the penalties for his bizarre wielding. Okay. Maybe he'll start with some and lose them as he levels up?

- Stronger "miscellaneous" abilities that would otherwise be dead levels.

Table for current version, will update later:

1st | +1 | +2 | +2| +0 | Erratic Stance
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0| Light-Footed
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1| Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Erratic Stance +2
5th | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Bizarre Wielder
6th | +6 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Surefooted
7th | +7 | +5 | +5 | +2 |
8th | +8 | +6 | +6 | +2 | Fleet of Foot, Erratic Stance +3
9th | +9 | +6 | +6 | +3 | Windmill Strike
10th | +10 | +7 | +7 | +3 | Bizarre Wielder (+1 arm), Erratic Stance +4[/table]

Angry Bob
2010-03-30, 10:50 AM
Remake

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Two-Weapon Fighting, Quick Draw. Just to begin training as a Hydra Knight, a warrior must already have experience with unconventional or unexpected tactics.
Skills: Tumble 6, Sleight of Hand 6
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Other: Must be humanoid. The existing Hydra Style is specialized for use by a specific body paradigm. Not even monstrous humanoids may qualify for this class.

Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, Swim
Skills/Level: 2 + Int Mod
HD: d8

1st | +1 | +2 | +2| +0 | Bonus Proficiency, Hydra Style (Additional arm)
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0| Skirmish +1d6
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1| Hydra Style (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting), Fleet of Foot +10 ft.
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Skirmish +1d6 +1 AC, Spinning Stance
5th | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Hydra Style (Additional Arm), Windmill Strike
6th | +6 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Skirmish +2d6 +1 AC, Fleet of Foot +20 ft.
7th | +7 | +5 | +5 | +2 | Improved Mobility
8th | +8 | +6 | +6 | +2 | Hydra Style (Greater Two-Weapon Fighting), Skirmish +2d6 +2 AC
9th | +9 | +6 | +6 | +3 | Hydra Style (Full Off-hand attacks)
10th | +10 | +7 | +7 | +3 | Hydra Style(Additional Arm), Bladestorm[/table]

Class Features

Weapon/Armor Proficiency: A Hydra Knight gains no proficiency with any kind of armor or weapon.

Bonus Weapon Proficiency: At 1st level, a Hydra Knight gains a bonus weapon proficiency feat with any melee weapon of their choice.

Hydra Style: The core element of the Hydra Style is the ability to wield more weapons than would seem humanly possible, either by holding two weapons in one hand, holding one in the user's mouth, tying one to the user's clothes, or even juggling one's weapons.

At 1st level, a Hydra Knight is treated as though he had an additional arm for the purposes of being able to wield one-handed or smaller weapons. He may make as many attacks with weapons held in this "arm" as he can with his off hand, at the same attack bonuses.

At 3rd level, a Hydra Knight gains the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat as a bonus feat.

At 5th level, a Hydra Knight gains an additional virtual arm.

At 8th level, a Hydra Knight gains the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat as a bonus feat.

At 9th level, a Hydra Knight may make as many attacks with his off hand(s) as he can make with his primary hand, at the same base attack bonuses, with the usual penalties for two-handed fighting.

At 10th level, a Hydra Knight gains an additional virtual arm.

Hydra Style only functions while the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

Skirmish: At 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, The Hydra Knight gains skirmish and skirmish bonuses as a Scout(CA)

Fleet of Foot: At 3rd level, a Hydra Knight gains a +10 ft increase to his land speed. At 6th level, this bonus increases to +20 ft. This ability only functions as long as the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

Spinning Stance: At 4th level, as long as he has moved 20 or more feet this turn, a Hydra Knight and his allies may treat all enemies adjacent to the Hydra Knight as flanked until the end of his next turn. This ability only functions while the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

Windmill Strike: At 5th level, The Hydra Knight gains the pounce special ability.

Improved Mobility: Beginning at 7th level, for a number of rounds each day equal to his dexterity modifier, a Hydra Knight may act as though under the effect of a haste or freedom of movement spell. he may use both at once, but doing so counts at two rounds used of his allotted uses per day. This ability only functions while the Hydra Knight is wearing light or no armor.

Bladestorm: Once per day at 10th level, when a Hydra Knight charges an opponent, he may follow up with three full attacks. He can only use this as long as he is wearing light or no armor and you don't mind stalling the game to roll attacks and damage for the next five minutes.