PDA

View Full Version : Over the Edge

gnomas
2010-03-29, 10:00 PM
So my old gaming group kind of collapsed, but I have an almost entirely new one formed now. Most of the group has never really gamed before, but everyone seems excited to get going. As some people expressed interest in Over the Edge, and it is fairly (extremely) rules light, I decided to learn the system and try it out.

I haven't gotten my hands on the actual rulebook yet, but I was wondering if people had some fun stories or helpful advice? How much do you let player's get away with? how much story do you plan out in advance? things like that.

thanks in advance,
gnomas

Raum
2010-03-29, 10:44 PM
Over the Edge is a blast! The setting is Weird (intentionally) so you have the freedom to do a lot of things with it. As such, I recommend erring on the side of permissiveness when it comes to player / player character ideas and actions. The one thing you want to avoid is using the same skill repeatedly, we instituted a penalty for repeating a skill (don't remember if that was canon or not) - doing so is almost a necessity to spice up combat. Else most actions will be a repeat of the highest combat related skill.

As for planning, I'd suggest being very flexible. Make general plans but be wiling to go with the flow of any weird thing that happens. Pay attention to your players and pick up any 'mistakes' they may make...said mistakes may well be true in Al Amarja! (If they're weird and fun enough.) Remember the quote on p4 of the intro - "Nothing is true, anything is possible, everything is permitted." Just don't do it so often they try to take advantage of it. :smallwink: