PDA

View Full Version : grenades

awa
2010-03-29, 10:09 PM
Im working on a new campaign and it's got schizo tech. Grenades are an available item and im designing some feats to improve their use one of them is the ability to bounce it off a wall to get pepole behind a corner but i haven't decided how i want to do it mechanically.

My vague thoughts are its based on how far you can throw the grenade and it bounces 1/4 of its remaining throw distance

And possible let any one bounce a grenade but the feat allows you to do it with out a penalty what the penalty would be i haven't decided i was just curious about pepole thoughts.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 10:11 PM
Take a look at the Rubber Ball in Dungeonscape. It should help you figure out the mechanics behind a bouncing pineapple.

awa
2010-03-29, 10:13 PM
i don't own that one and i imagine a grenade is much less bouncy

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-29, 10:15 PM
i don't own that one and i imagine a grenade is much less bouncy

I said it would give you an idea of how to word it so it works mechanically. I didn't say use the entire thing.

reptilecobra13
2010-03-29, 10:23 PM
From Dungeonscape: "A bouncing rubber ball can give you an idea of what lies down a corridor. Simply throw the ball at a space or grid intersection as you would throw a splash weapon, though with a range increment of 30 feet. No matter where the ball lands, it bounces directly away from you, travelling half the distance it was first thrown. Then it lands and bounces again, covering half the distance of the previous bounce. The ball continues in this manner until it makes a bounce that would be less than 5 feet in length, at which time it stops bouncing and starts rolling. If the ball strikes a solid object, it reverses direction and continues rolling."

Slayn82
2010-03-30, 08:43 AM
Beware of first level Artificers with personal weapon augmentation. If they give the Sizing weapon property to one hand grenade, get ready to have your dungeon colapsed by Over Collossal blasts. Of course, they can also turn a repeating crossbow into a ballistrae, so thats par for the course.

awa
2010-03-30, 10:15 AM
It going to be in a modified iron hero's campaign so i don't have to worry about that particular danger.

ericgrau
2010-03-30, 10:20 AM
Im working on a new campaign and it's got schizo tech. Grenades are an available item and im designing some feats to improve their use one of them is the ability to bounce it off a wall to get pepole behind a corner but i haven't decided how i want to do it mechanically.

My vague thoughts are its based on how far you can throw the grenade and it bounces 1/4 of its remaining throw distance

And possible let any one bounce a grenade but the feat allows you to do it with out a penalty what the penalty would be i haven't decided i was just curious about pepole thoughts.

It depends on the surface it is bounced off of. It could be anywhere between 0 and 100% of the remaining throw distance. If you want an easy ruling with minimum math, rules and rolls involved I'd make them automatically miss their exact target but automatically hit the general area. And disallow long distances after the bounce altogether, unless the player doesn't mind its final destination being extremely random. Maybe allow a feat for more accurate grenade bouncing, but otherwise nixing rules in this situation makes things much simpler.

Alternatively give those proficient with grenades a -4 to hit the desired grid intersection and half (or times whatever) the range increment after the bounce.

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-30, 10:23 AM
I would use sovereign glue and a heavy crossbow to create a grenade launcher. I don't care if it works, I would use it laughing the entire time.

Feat: Clever Angle
Prereqs: Str 13, Proficiency with Grenades
You’ve thrown enough grenades to know just how to bounce that sucker around a corner and get that sneaky git hiding out of line of sight, as long as there’s a wall present. When you ricochet a grenade off a wall, it will bounce for one full range increment rather than ½ [or whatever it is you decide on]

Feat: English on the Birdy
Prereqs: Str 13, Far Shot, Clever Angle
Your skill with a grenade and experience in throwing them has allowed you to put just the right spin on them. You don’t even need a wall to bounce them anymore. You may treat a grenade that has hit the ground rather than a wall as if it has hit a wall. It can make one 90 degree turn and travel a single range increment.