PDA

View Full Version : Effective Conj. spec Wiz.

Orannis
2010-03-30, 09:46 AM
I am trying to figure out an effective and fun Wizard that is an over the top blaster or mind control and yet has viability. I was thinking a Conj. Spec. Wizard for the Grease, glitterdust, and such like and then I thought "hey why not go with summoning also?" I was thinking wiz 3/master spec/10/.....after that I am not sure. Archmage maybe for one or two abilities but other than that I can't think of anything cool that still grants full spell progression. I had the same problem with Nerco spec. Only thing for it really was Incantrix and that was for the last 3 levels. I would greatly appriciate any words of wisdom that you all would care to offer.

Optimystik
2010-03-30, 09:49 AM
Malconvoker, of course.

Read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=289.0)

Abd al-Azrad
2010-03-30, 12:22 PM
The thing to worry about with Conjurers is that, while they are far and away the best kind of wizard at low levels (masters of battlefield control, can attack each save on multiple enemies at a time, etc.), they kind of slow down when you reach the zenith of 20th-level power, and your enemies tend to have multiple movement modes, Freedom of Movement, etc. On the other hand, I'm playing a low-level one right now, who basically sits in the background during every battle, calmly throws off one or two 1st- or 2nd-level spells and then calmly chuckles while the rest of the party annihilates our crippled foes. It's a pretty good feeling.

Malconvoker is a hilarious choice, one of these days I'll have to play one. Alternately, given your phenomenal amount of battlefield control, take feats like Sculpt Spell (CArc) and grab a level of Archmage for Mastery of Shaping. The one I'm playing now is going to grab Vow of Nonviolence, given all the non-damaging effects he can use, for the +4 DC boost to every single spell he uses. Or, pick up some metamagic cheese and throw Orbs of death. YOU HAVE SO MANY OPTIONS. Conjuration is wonderful.

Endarire
2010-03-30, 06:59 PM
Conjuration: The Everything Specialty.

With enough splatbooks, you get blasts, buffs, summons, calls, and spells that target every save, sometimes even with no save on offensive spells.

Ensure you're clear on your DM's perspective when it comes to things like glitterdust and web. The RAW and my perspective of the RAI is that conjurations are magical and work anywhere unless noted. Some DMs say magic is used to summon/create the spell effect, but it's mundane material affected by wet weather, mundane fires, and the like.

Don't spend an hour at the table arguing over whether glitterdust can or should.affect golems. By the RAW, it can and should.

As for summoning, try to get an item that casts summon monster as current for your Wizard level. Lantern archons are awesome and versatile. Dire tigers rip through things.

Besides, as Xykon says, "Sacrificing minions: Is there any problem it can't solve?"

Private-Prinny
2010-03-30, 07:17 PM
Conjuration: The Everything Specialty.

With enough splatbooks, you get blasts, buffs, summons, calls, and spells that target every save, sometimes even with no save on offensive spells.The splatbooks make the phrase "effective Conjurer" redundant. Conjuration is just that good.

Besides, as Xykon says, "Sacrificing minions: Is there any problem it can't solve?"

I remember seeing a quote in someone's sig: "You don't need a rogue to disarm magic traps. All it takes is a wand of Summon Monster I and a deep and abiding hatred of Celestial Monkeys."