PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! I'm Failing!

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 10:00 AM
I took way too many credits this semester and my grades are pretty much shot to the abyss. I just got a midterm back and it was 61%. I didn't study for another and basically made up the answers. Out of the six courses I am taking the only one I know for certain I'm doing well in is one. I need help. I contacted my advisor (only like ten minutes ago, no reply yet) but I'm wondering what I should do. With so little time and so much work if I tried to improve my grades in one class it'll harm the others. The most logical option I can think of is drop one or two classes. I only have a month left and the classes will still appear on my transcript but I do feel over worked and doubt I'll be able to turn my grades around in everything.

So in summary, I NEED HELP BADLY!

Hazkali
2010-03-30, 10:08 AM
I just got a midterm back and it was 61%.

Excuse my ignorance, is that so terrible a mark? Here that's a fairly acceptable grade, equivalent of an upper-second.

Anyway, I would suggest you lessen your workload- will dropping classes now harm your progress, or will you be able to catch up in the year or years after?

Is there one module that is more important to your plans than others?

Whammydill
2010-03-30, 10:08 AM
"I didn't study for another and basically made up the answers."

There's the problem, fix that and you'll be fine. :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 10:51 AM
Excuse my ignorance, is that so terrible a mark? Here that's a fairly acceptable grade, equivalent of an upper-second.

Yes. It really is. Isn't that like an F?:smallconfused:

"I didn't study for another and basically made up the answers."

There's the problem, fix that and you'll be fine. :smallcool:

My problem is that I don't have the time. My week is crammed packed with classes so that (a) I have little free time to study for them outside of class and (b) I have so many classes I can't study for them all.

Of course if you're saying drop the class I understand that.

Thajocoth
2010-03-30, 10:57 AM

Anyway, I would suggest you lessen your workload- will dropping classes now harm your progress, or will you be able to catch up in the year or years after?

Around here, 64 and below is a failing grade (when using percentiles in grade school). I don't know the college equivalent, as the colleges all use a 4.0 scale. 4.0 = 100%, but 2.0 is not the same as 50%, so it's difficult to compare.

Oh, and since I know this isn't the case everywhere, and I used the word, I'll mention that here that in the USA, a university = college.

-----

Good luck, Dr. Epic. I wish I had better advice than that... But I've never really been any good at studying.

mucat
2010-03-30, 10:57 AM

That entirely depends on the class, and on the nature of the exam itself. In my class, that 61% might be an A or B. Did the prof tell you what the median score was? (Not that you want to judge yourself against other students, but knowing the median is a good start to interpreting the score.)

You clearly need to drop some classes so you can excel at the remaining ones, rather than just surviving them. But talk to the professors first, get an idea of which classes you're doing well in, think about which ones are prerequisites for what you want to take in the fall, and see which ones are offered again over the summer. Then you can make a good decision.

thubby
2010-03-30, 11:06 AM
a few dropped classes aren't really that bad for your transcript, especially if you take it again later.
so at least drop whatever one is chewing up the most time (as long as its not the one your doing well in)

THAC0
2010-03-30, 11:41 AM
My problem is that I don't have the time. My week is crammed packed with classes so that (a) I have little free time to study for them outside of class and (b) I have so many classes I can't study for them all.

6 classes? Isn't that just 18 credits and 18 hours at a normal program? If I'm wrong, correct me.

But if you're only in class 18-20 hours a week, you've still got 20 to spend studying before you've reached the time-expenditure of a full-time job.

Egiam
2010-03-30, 11:41 AM
Hazkali is from the UK. I've never gone to school there, but I imagine it must have a very different grade system. I'm assuming that Dr. Epic is from the USA. Here, 61% is a really bad grade.

As for how to get out of this mess, I suppose leaving the forum for a while might help.

arguskos
2010-03-30, 11:49 AM
6 classes? Isn't that just 18 credits and 18 hours at a normal program? If I'm wrong, correct me.

But if you're only in class 18-20 hours a week, you've still got 20 to spend studying before you've reached the time-expenditure of a full-time job.
Having been in Dr. Epics shoes recently, I can tell you that frequently, that is not enough time. I had a period where I was doing 60-70 hour weeks between studying and going to class, and it wasn't enough to pass all my courses. Sometimes, the best solution IS to drop some classes.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-03-30, 11:50 AM

I think you're making the assumption that all classes are the same amount of credits. When I was in college, we had classes that ranged from 1 to 5 credits. Therefore, there were some quarters I only took 3 classes and had 15 credits, and some quarters it would take 5 classes to get that many. So, depending on the courses he's taking, he could be well over 18.

As for the 61% good or not. That would largely depend on the class/test. If the test/class is weighted or curved, then it could be good depending on how everyone else has done. If it's straight, then a 61% is probably a D or F.

Yes, the best case scenario here is probably to drop a course or two. It's better to do that, and do well in the courses you have left, than to do poorly in all of them. That would cut down on the courses you will have to retake and whatnot.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-03-30, 11:53 AM
Are you allowed to retake classes to overwrite your grade? If so, you may be able to get away with completely ignoring one or two classes while focusing on the others, and then retaking them later. This, of course, if you can't drop one or two of the more labour intensive ones.

Also, what are you studying and/or planning to go into? In some cases (e.g. you plan to attend medical school or law school later in life), you are kind of screwed unless you can drop the classes, since they look at every single grade that you ever got. In others (e.g. engineering) what marks you get doesn't matter almost completely, if you can pass the class, you're usually good to go. You may not be able to get scholarships or anything, but it won't kill you either.

PS: how many hours a class is doesn't usually tell you about how much time you'll actually be in class. For example, at my school a 4-credit class typically means lab + lecture. However, what it really means is that it's 3 hours of lectures, a 1-hour tutorial and a 4-hour lab per week. Adding up to 8 hours spent just in class.

Force
2010-03-30, 11:58 AM
What are you doing other than what is necessary to sustain life? (work, eat, sleep, basic cleanliness, etc) If you have something that's eating up time that could otherwise be spent studying, drop it and apply yourself in that time. I've heard many people who, in the same conversation, brag about getting wasted all weekend and complain about how bad their grades are. Not a good thing.

Zevox
2010-03-30, 12:00 PM
Yes, it is. Depending on the grading scale you're working with, that would be a low D or an outright F here in the US. The scale I'm most familiar with assigns grades at 10% intervals (90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79=C, etc), but I know some stricter ones exist. The private school I attended for 1st through 8th grade had one where As stopped at 93%, Bs at 85%, and an F was anything from 67% down.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of for the OP is simply to drop a class. I can't imagine taking that many classes in a single semester myself - four has always been enough for me, any more and keeping up with them all would get tough. If you don't think you can handle it, pick the one that has the highest workload and/or is least important to your concentration and just drop it. All those classes won't do you any good if you can't learn enough from them to get a decent grade in each.

Zevox

THAC0
2010-03-30, 12:02 PM
I am aware that there are other credit options, that is why I asked for clarification in my post. For example, I once took 24 credits a semester and was in class for over 40 hours before study time. So yes, I am aware that the numbers don't always match up. Frequently, they do. Hence the question.

Douglas
2010-03-30, 12:10 PM
At levels past high school, that depends entirely on the college and the class. I've had classes where anything below 70 was an F, and I've at least heard of (I'm not sure if I ever took any of them) classes where a 50 would be an A. It all depends on how hard the professor makes the homework and tests compared to what he expects his students to be able to do. Usually the professor announces the scale, puts it in the syllabus, or at least answers if you ask about it. I've had some professors who waited to see what everyone got before setting the thresholds for each grade, and then announced both the thresholds and the distribution in class right after handing back the graded tests.

Yes, it is. Depending on the grading scale you're working with, that would be a low D or an outright F here in the US. The scale I'm most familiar with assigns grades at 10% intervals (90-100 = A, 80-89 = B, 70-79=C, etc), but I know some stricter ones exist. The private school I attended for 1st through 8th grade had one where As stopped at 93%, Bs at 85%, and an F was anything from 67% down.
That is a common grading scale, but at the college and university level it is far from universal. Professors are free to designated their own grading scale however they like, all that gets reported to the college for a transcript is the letter. If the professor says 20/100 is an A because his test is so hard his students routinely get 15 or lower, that's his prerogative.

Anyway, if the difficulty and time of each class is like at Georgia Tech where I went to college, 6 classes is probably 18 credit hours which is a doable but very tough amount. If you can't handle that much work, which is not at all unusual, I'd recommend dropping one or even two classes to focus on the rest. One or two dropped classes plus decent grades in the rest is a lot better than one good grade and five bad ones. Given a course load that large, most people will understand the dropped courses and not hold them against you at all, but bad grades in courses you don't drop can come back to haunt you.

Of course, if you're not sure about the grading scale you should double check that the grades you're getting really are bad first.

Supagoof
2010-03-30, 12:13 PM
Is taking an incomplete an option? I know that many universities will allow, at the professors discretion, you to simply put the class on pause and not have the grades submitted at semester's end. Then, when you have more time, like with the oncoming summer, you can self study and finish off the exams. How much time you need and can get is negotiable with the professors. Just a thought.

I know that many universities do this because, like everywhere, people get caught up with things beyond their control. A death or illness in the family, perhaps (and it sounds like it) you bit off more then you can chew, depression is often a reasoning.

Incomplete's on your transcript are changed to the grade once the class is completed. Check with your advisor and see if that's an option for one or two of them. Also communication with your proffessors will go a long way. Be honest with them, and you'll be surprised at the amount of help and assistance they will provide. They want to see you succeed,

Thajocoth
2010-03-30, 12:24 PM
Oh, back when I was in college, I did drop all the message boards I went to at the time except the one that was mine. Heh, I was a mod at most of them. I promoted people to mods and admins on my own board and had them take over my responsibilities there completely. I only played video games when I needed something to remind me of why I was working so hard.

That semester I only had about 15 credits, but that's in-class time. I had 3 group projects due in the same week. 2 video games and a system that was more complex than either of the games. I forsook a lot of sleep to get everything done. I didn't even go to the one class, as the ONLY grade in that class was the 7 person group project. The other two big classes were similar... 2 projects in one making up the entire grade, and 6 or 7 steps towards the final project in the other (though that one had a midterm and a final as well.) I did what I had to do.

I've never studied, but whatever it is that you need to do for school... Just do the minimum to keep yourself both alive, sane and getting better grades. If that involves dropping a class or two, then so be it. Credits are not really a good indication of how much time a class requires.

My hard work paid off, and so will yours.

mucat
2010-03-30, 12:30 PM
Is taking an incomplete an option? I know that many universities will allow, at the professors discretion, you to simply put the class on pause and not have the grades submitted at semester's end. Then, when you have more time, like with the oncoming summer, you can self study and finish off the exams. How much time you need and can get is negotiable with the professors. Just a thought.

I know that many universities do this because, like everywhere, people get caught up with things beyond their control. A death or illness in the family, perhaps (and it sounds like it) you bit off more then you can chew, depression is often a reasoning.

Incomplete's on your transcript are changed to the grade once the class is completed. Check with your advisor and see if that's an option for one or two of them. Also communication with your proffessors will go a long way. Be honest with them, and you'll be surprised at the amount of help and assistance they will provide. They want to see you succeed,
An incomplete makes more sense if the student is struck with an illness or emergency in the last couple weeks of the semester -- I doubt the professors would let someone negotiate an incomplete mid-semester. For that situation, dropping the class and retaking it later is a much better solution.

You're right that we want to see the students succeed...but sometimes that means telling them "you really need to take this class again from the start."

pendell
2010-03-30, 12:36 PM

When I was in school in the US, any mark below 65% was an F. Failure. Unacceptable. Academic probation.

I see no choice but to drop those courses you cannot pass and salvage those you can.

Have you talked to the professors yet? They may be able to provide resources and assistance. But fundamentally, if you're taking too many courses you've got no alternative but 'I' for 'Incomplete'.

Another possibility is the Challenge Exam. Some classes allow you to take a test and bypass the coursework. This results in Credit , but no letter grade. I was able to put away some of my undergrad coursework this way -- study over the summer, take a challenge exam for the course in the fall, pass, concentrate on my other studies.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-30, 12:36 PM
Can you withdraw from a class? At least here, a 'withdrawn' penalty does not affect your GPA, an F does.
Also here, 60-69% is a D, and still passes. Thank God. If 60-69% failed, I'd be under a pile of even WORSE credits.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 01:05 PM
I'm supposed to talk with my adviser later today at 3. Hopefully I'll be able to get out of some. Talked to my mom earlier today. Did not go over too well. :smalleek:

Stubbed Tongue
2010-03-30, 02:11 PM
This may be a little off topic but here it goes:

1) What do you want to do with your life?
2) Do ALL these classes serve that purpose? If not, drop them immediately.
3) Grades/college/degrees mean something in this world but not everything. So relax, get focused, and get to work. But fully know that regardless of how your education turns out you may still live a happy, fruitful and exciting life.

It's not like they are going to give you a pants-down spanking and take away your birthday. So relax.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 02:33 PM
I talked with my advisor just recently. Her advise was to talk with one of my teachers and see if I could get an incomplete in that course and try to finish the work over the summer to raise my grade. Hopefully he'll sign the proper form and everything will be alright. I just have to convince to agree to it.

Supagoof
2010-03-30, 02:35 PM
I talked with my advisor just recently. Her advise was to talk with one of my teachers and see if I could get an incomplete in that course and try to finish the work over the summer to raise my grade. Hopefully he'll sign the proper form and everything will be alright. I just have to convince to agree to it.If one teacher doesn't agree, then try another. No harm in trying them all right?

Dr.Epic
2010-03-30, 02:41 PM
If one teacher doesn't agree, then try another. No harm in trying them all right?

Another option is to drop a course. I'd get an F but so long as I retake it the F will disappear and will be replaced by the new grade. I just have to worry about my scholarship (it's affected by my grades) and academic probation.

Dienekes
2010-03-30, 06:37 PM
How many hours you taking, and what are you doing besides classes?

gibbo88
2010-03-30, 06:49 PM
Good god...an Distinction here (in Perth, Australia) is above 70%, or some such, so youd be working on a solid Credit (high C low Bish) for the 61%. Suppose if you grow up with a system it makes it a bit easier to understand. None the less, I would suggest aside from taking fewer classes, you can cut down on extra-curricular stuff or find more effective study methods. At the end of the day repeating one or two courses is a hell of a lot better then repeating the whole lot cause you took too much on.

Deathslayer7
2010-03-30, 07:08 PM
Might i ask what classes you are taking and the amount of credits they are worth? And on top of that, what university you go to and the program you wish to major in?

Also what is the total amount of credits you are taking?

I assume around 15 or 16, which is tough but doable espcially if you dont work. Currently i am taking 12 credits and along with a part time job (15-20 a week). Didnt feel like pushing myself overboard. And at the moment i am doing good in 3 of the four classes. The last class i have a C and the final grade i get depends on how well i do on the third exam and final. So I have to actually put more effort into there.

Besides that, I wouldnt recommend dropping classes. At this point it is too late to drop classes (if it isnt for you then i would do it) without getting an "F" grade, which affects GPA and your eligibility for scholarships. As for an incomplete, im not sure.

Point is, if you want help be more specifici and answer the above questions.

Also what do you do in your spare time? Hang with friends? Go out? If so you might want to consider dropping that down or not going out at all for now.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-31, 04:12 PM
I'm taking six classes. Half lecture classes (2 hr 45 min each). The other studio classes (6 hr each). That doesn't even count the homework outside of class. I should mention that my teacher was not willing to sign an incomplete form (something about you need a medical excuse, but he is willing to work with me and adjust my grade). My adviser gave me a few ideas about what to do:

1. Get documentation and show it to my teacher (I do have a learning disability, something I don't share with anyone)

2. Talk to someone in student affairs and see what they can do (I'm meeting with them tomorrow)

3. Drop the course, getting a F but if I retake it the grade will disappear (problem is I'm not 100% sure the class will be offered again)

4. Endure and try to handle everything

The problem here is that there's all this turmoil going on at home causing me a lot of stress:

I mean, last semester my schedule looked pretty much the same. I did okay then (got 3 B-'s, 2 B's, and an A-). Not great, but I did good, well, above average. It has a lot to do with my dad and his refusal to pay for college. There's even a court date for it and I have to go. I've met with lawyers and gone to depositions all time I've had to go back home (2 hr drive one way) to do these things. Not to mention that I've always been detached from my father because he has extreme anger issues. I saw him for the first time in 8 years a few weeks ago. If you got rid of all this legal stress, I might be doing better. All the while my poor grades/under achieving is gonna be fodder for my dad to deny me such a great school I got into.

THAC0
2010-03-31, 08:33 PM
I mean, last semester my schedule looked pretty much the same. I did okay then (got 3 B-'s, 2 B's, and an A-). Not great, but I did good, well, above average. It has a lot to do with my dad and his refusal to pay for college. There's even a court date for it and I have to go. I've met with lawyers and gone to depositions all time I've had to go back home (2 hr drive one way) to do these things. Not to mention that I've always been detached from my father because he has extreme anger issues. I saw him for the first time in 8 years a few weeks ago. If you got rid of all this legal stress, I might be doing better. All the while my poor grades/under achieving is gonna be fodder for my dad to deny me such a great school I got into.

...You're trying to legally force your father to pay for college?

Force
2010-03-31, 08:46 PM

... I'm paying my own way. o.o The heck are you doing, sueing your dad because he won't pay for your schooling?

mucat
2010-03-31, 08:52 PM
I'm taking six classes. Half lecture classes (2 hr 45 min each). The other studio classes (6 hr each). That doesn't even count the homework outside of class. I should mention that my teacher was not willing to sign an incomplete form (something about you need a medical excuse, but he is willing to work with me and adjust my grade). My adviser gave me a few ideas about what to do:

1. Get documentation and show it to my teacher (I do have a learning disability, something I don't share with anyone)
While it's good to be open about this with your teachers, he still will not (or at least, should not) sign an incomplete for you. "Incomplete" means the student nearly finished the course, was doing well, but had an emergency and had to delay the last project or exam. It's not meant to allow you to drop a course halfway through, not attend lectures for the second half of the course, and then get credit for it anyway.

2. Talk to someone in student affairs and see what they can do (I'm meeting with them tomorrow)
Good plan, but try to go in with some specific questions about things you would like then to do for you. See point #3 below.

3. Drop the course, getting a F but if I retake it the grade will disappear (problem is I'm not 100% sure the class will be offered again)
If you drop the course planning to take it again, and then they stop offering it, it seems to me you could make a good case for having it stricken from your record (or to take the closest equivalent course instead, and have that one replace the F on your record.) This is one thing you should definitely ask about when you visit Student Affairs tomorrow.

4. Endure and try to handle everything
Not a good idea. It sounds as if you are spreading your energy in too many directions right now. Even if you stick with all the courses and manage good grades in all of them, you wouldn't be learning the material as thoroughly as you will with a more reasonable course load.