PDA

View Full Version : Girallon's Blessing

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 01:10 PM
gives extra claw attacks. but, my gm has ruled that the extra hands cannot hold a weapon, shield or anything other than make additional claw attacks. (this includes additional touch attacks.) is this adjudication correct?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-30, 01:15 PM
gives extra claw attacks. but, my gm has ruled that the extra hands cannot hold a weapon, shield or anything other than make additional claw attacks. (this includes additional touch attacks.) is this adjudication correct?

It sayds you can't combine them (weapons attk/claws attk) in same round, but nothing saying you can't have them use them seperately (hold shield in one hand and 2 handed in 2 others).

In fact, they have opposable thumbs so they should be able to weild weapons. So I'd ask why he did this since it seems against spirit of the rules.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 01:19 PM
hes trying to regulate my characters power level. i would attempt to cast this on the fighter after an enlarged spell. giving him six arms total. this would allow a shield or two greatswords to be equipped. so, he just told me flat out no.

then, i tried to learn bite of the (insert creature here) as one of my wizard spell at my new level. and they were banned as well.

unre9istered
2010-03-30, 01:49 PM
It should only give 4 arms total not 6. Your regular arms grow claws too.

Flickerdart
2010-03-30, 01:53 PM
If the Fighter isn't two-weapon spec, then having two swords isn't going to help him overmuch; an extra attack in exchange for -lots to all of them is a terrible proposition. If he is focused on TWF anyway, then he's still eating -4/-4 and all he gets out of it is the ability to get good returns from PA, which makes the combat style useful.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 01:54 PM
okay i was using the spell bible and there are two versions of the Girallon's Blessing spell. the one i was looking @ was in the savage species book. silly WotC :smallsigh:

Deepblue706
2010-03-30, 01:55 PM
@Flickerdart: However, if the Fighter had a Mount, Pounce, Shock Trooper, and two Lances...

Flickerdart
2010-03-30, 01:57 PM
@Flickerdart: However, if the Fighter had a Mount, Pounce, Shock Trooper, and two Lances...
Then the DM would have archers shoot it out of under him, or create flying/difficult terrain encounters, and there'd be absolutely no problem.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 01:57 PM
If the Fighter isn't two-weapon spec, then having two swords isn't going to help him overmuch; an extra attack in exchange for -lots to all of them is a terrible proposition. If he is focused on TWF anyway, then he's still eating -4/-4 and all he gets out of it is the ability to get good returns from PA, which makes the combat style useful.

i was more looking for a way to allow him to use a shield and still wield his greatsword.

It should only give 4 arms total not 6. Your regular arms grow claws too.

the savage species version gives an additional 2 arms per size category.

Flickerdart
2010-03-30, 02:00 PM
a) A shield is a negligible bonus.
b)

Animated

Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency.

Strong transmutation; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, animate objects; Price +2 bonus.

Deepblue706
2010-03-30, 02:01 PM
Then the DM would have archers shoot it out of under him, or create flying/difficult terrain encounters, and there'd be absolutely no problem.

I was joking.

Although, you can also get a flying mount, and also keep that mount alive if you spend resources to protect it.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 02:02 PM
okay. what about using the extra hands as ways to buff myself with spell flower and then unleash 4 or 6 touch attacks in a single turn? would that be feasible?

Frosty
2010-03-30, 02:06 PM
The DM is trying to limit you because you're finding ways to buff your fighter ally? What's wrong with him?

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 02:09 PM
i rarely cast any kind of blaster spells. im a transmuter who LOVES buffing other people and sitting back and casting snakes swiftness, mass on his party. however... he is limiting the buffs available to me. also, he is not allowing the war weaver class as i had originally intended.

Arakune
2010-03-30, 02:15 PM
Girallon's Blessing + Fuse Arms. Who needs those extra arms ? :smalltongue:

marjan
2010-03-30, 03:16 PM
Isn't there a rule (in SS I think) that allows you to add 0.5 str to damage for each additional arm?

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 03:18 PM
the fuse arms trick is nice. but, now without the use of girallons blessing or any of the were ***** creature spells... how can i improve on my touch attack trasmuter/ buffer class?

i just lost my familiar this last session (dropped 1200 exp) so that leaves me a level behind the rest of the party.

banned stuffs:
War Weaver
Gilallon's Blessing
Were Creature spells
Duskblade
Octopus Familiar
Archmage
Incantantrix

Kantolin
2010-03-30, 03:32 PM
I like snake's swiftness mass myself, but you may want to instead utilize haste as it's longer lasting (Unless you need the actions right NOW).

If your goal is 'let him use a greatsword and a shield', try the spell compendium's 'shield bearer' spell. Transmutation and all, and means you can make it a tower shield to float around by your fighter buddy (Go buy a couple of them and shove them in your haversack / bag of holding).

I'd also suggest displacement as a helpful option, fly can help, and be sure to invisibility yourself to minimize your chance of personal harm (Greater invisibility can help the fighter). Most fighter types also like enlarge person for the damage bump.

Although it sounds like many of these things will become too effective for your DM and thus be banned.

Starscream
2010-03-30, 03:40 PM
I know we aren't supposed to treat what we see in illustrations as being in any way "canon" (see the whole Pelor the Burning Hate thing for why), but the picture in SpC strongly implies that being able to wield multiple items is exactly what the spell is intended for.

It shows Krusk simultaneously wielding a two handed axe, carrying a shield, and drinking a potion. Seems sensible to me that this would be possible. Holding the shield is a non-action, drinking the potion is a standard one, and he's not actually attacking with the weapon, so it's not as if he's taking more actions that he should.

Frosty
2010-03-30, 03:40 PM
When did Duskblade become a buff? And your DM lumps together Archmage and Incantatrix?

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 03:41 PM
snakes swiftness, mass i barely squeeked in. he was trying to adjudicate that i had to know the original snakes swiftness to know the mass version.

i regularly enlarge the tank. bull's strength him and the barb. snakes swiftness, mass my heart out in battles.

if i think that my help is not needed. i sit back in a corner and do nothing.

i have yet to use my character to its full potential... and i would like to at some point.. but, at this point in the game... (lvl 5 now that i lost my familiar) i may just go balls to the wall, kill my toon, and re-roll another.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 03:42 PM
When did Duskblade become a buff? And your DM lumps together Archmage and Incantatrix?

i dont understand the question. i have asked to go into duskblade as a class and was told no. then asked if i could go into incantantrix or archmage and was told no.

i was just making a list of things banned at the table.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-30, 03:46 PM
What about using the extra arms to cast spells?

For example, a spellcaster polymorphed into a hydra with two little arms to execute the somatic components for spells?

Also, you can either make claw attacks OR attack with a weapon. I'd rule that if you're holding a weapon, you can't use that claw to attack.

So a 4 armed Fighter holding a sword in 1 would have to choose between 1 sword attack or 3 claw attacks.

I think that's how the Spell Compendium words it...nothing about not using a shield though (although you might have to choose between the shield and using that arm to make a claw attack).

jiriku
2010-03-30, 04:02 PM
the fuse arms trick is nice. but, now without the use of girallons blessing or any of the were ***** creature spells... how can i improve on my touch attack trasmuter/ buffer class?

i just lost my familiar this last session (dropped 1200 exp) so that leaves me a level behind the rest of the party.

banned stuffs:
War Weaver
Gilallon's Blessing
Were Creature spells
Duskblade
Octopus Familiar
Archmage
Incantantrix

If your DM has banned girallon's blessing, duskblade, and bite of the x spells, then he is afraid of anything that does a lot of damage in one round. Thus, anything you do that enables the party to deal more damage is likely to trigger a ban.

1.) I'd say it's time to start working on buffing other aspects. Buffing for AC or saves is ok up to a point, but I wouldn't do it consistently or he'll either ban more stuff or start cheating on attack rolls and save DCs.

2.) Better still, expand into battlefield control. Wind wall is a nice "armor class buff" spell if you want to think of it that way - your allies get +WIN to AC vs. arrows. Darkness and glitterdust are great for saving throws - casters can't target what they can't see.

3.) Ultimately, however, you should have a talk with your DM. If he's choking on extra arms and stat boosts, you're going to need 9-1-1 on speed dial when he gets around to looking at your 4th and 5th level spells. You need to prep him now for the spells you'll be taking later, with some kindly advice, along the lines of

"Now, this spell is called teleport. Once I learn it, you won't be able to run adventures that involve wilderness survival, or being kidnapped, or getting lost. Those things won't challenge us any more. This spell here is called magic jar. Once I learn it, all of your monsters belong to me whenever I want. Here we have polymorph. With this, the fighter turns into any of your monsters whenever I want. Even the good ones. Are you emotionally ready for that?"
Because I don't think he is.

Cieyrin
2010-03-30, 04:13 PM
If not Girallon's Blessing, why not Arms of Plenty, its lesser, much more nerfed version? Check your copy of Lords of Madness for it and you too can have an extra set of arms for better multitasking on a tighter budget!

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-30, 06:07 PM
If not Girallon's Blessing, why not Arms of Plenty, its lesser, much more nerfed version? Check your copy of Lords of Madness for it and you too can have an extra set of arms for better multitasking on a tighter budget!

thats a good idea. and seeing as they are "extra arms"... spell flower can apply to them. also, as im assuming that during a grapple these claws can make attacks while i have the creature pinned... thats extra damage on top of balor nimbus, babou slime....

arms of plenty after enlarged? does that up the damage of the limbs to 1d8?

when i cast fist of stone... does that damage then increase to 2d6?

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-30, 07:07 PM
also, as im assuming that during a grapple these claws can make attacks while i have the creature pinned... thats extra damage on top of balor nimbus, babou slime....

You can only use a single natural weapon in a given round while grappling, and you may only attack once with it in that round.

Wings of Peace
2010-03-30, 09:04 PM
hes trying to regulate my characters power level. i would attempt to cast this on the fighter after an enlarged spell. giving him six arms total. this would allow a shield or two greatswords to be equipped. so, he just told me flat out no.

then, i tried to learn bite of the (insert creature here) as one of my wizard spell at my new level. and they were banned as well.

Wait.... your DM would rather allow six claw attacks instead of two great swords? :smallconfused:

jguy
2010-03-30, 09:20 PM
Just wait until he's groups of fighters get Solid Fogged. Hell, Acid Fog. He will have a heart attack

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-31, 04:37 PM
You can only use a single natural weapon in a given round while grappling, and you may only attack once with it in that round.

ah that makes sense. but it can still attack while my normal arms have the creature pinned correct?

the claws... can they have a fist of stone on them? to increase the damage they do? also once then i enlarge myself... does that damage then increase.... even if its an extra d8 2d6 a round. totally worth it.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-31, 04:40 PM
ah that makes sense. but it can still attack while my normal arms have the creature pinned correct?

the claws... can they have a fist of stone on them? to increase the damage they do? also once then i enlarge myself... does that damage then increase.... even if its an extra d8 2d6 a round. totally worth it.

Fist of Stone is a Slam attack not a claw though.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-31, 06:17 PM
Fist of Stone is a Slam attack not a claw though.

i was doing it for the increase in unarmed damage. would it work that way? i would still get the +6 strength mod. but would the damage dice be increased?

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-31, 06:30 PM

No. While pinning, you can not attack your opponent, though you may use grapple checks to deal damage, or use his own weapon against him.

i was doing it for the increase in unarmed damage. would it work that way? i would still get the +6 strength mod. but would the damage dice be increased?

Fist of Stone does not work that way. It gives you an additional natural attack: a slam. It has no effect on unarmed strike or existing natural weapon damage.

The damage of the slam attack does increase with size, however. So it would be 2d6 when you're large.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-31, 07:25 PM
No. While pinning, you can not attack your opponent, though you may use grapple checks to deal damage, or use his own weapon against him.

Fist of Stone does not work that way. It gives you an additional natural attack: a slam. It has no effect on unarmed strike or existing natural weapon damage.

The damage of the slam attack does increase with size, however. So it would be 2d6 when you're large.

can you initialize a grapple with a natural slam attack? and can you charge both hands with spell flower to drop touch attacks in addition to the slam attack?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-31, 07:30 PM
can you initialize a grapple with a natural slam attack? and can you charge both hands with spell flower to drop touch attacks in addition to the slam attack?

See attacking with a light weapon in a grapple section of PHB: both armed touch attacks (Touch spells) and Natural weapons are light weapons.

So you can't initialize with a slam, but you can attack with slam in a grapple.

Whyte_Widow
2010-03-31, 07:35 PM
See attacking with a light weapon in a grapple section of PHB: both armed touch attacks (Touch spells) and Natural weapons are light weapons.

So you can't initialize with a slam, but you can attack with slam in a grapple.

so to initialize the grapple the touch attack can be used when the creature is touched... then once the grapple has been exploited i can use the natural slam attack each round (while babou slime, balor nimbus, bladeweave etc on) while the mob is pinned?