PDA

View Full Version : More than 1 swift action per round?

DeltaEmil
2010-03-30, 02:04 PM
Is it possible? Is there a feat, a spell, a magic item, an obscure rule, an action point usage or so that lets you gain two and more swift actions per round?

jokey665
2010-03-30, 02:05 PM
Ruby Knight Vindicator

Eldariel
2010-03-30, 02:06 PM
Is it possible? Is there a feat, a spell, a magic item, an obscure rule, an action point usage or so that lets you gain two and more swift actions per round?

Ruby Knight Vindicator's level 7 ability. Also, arguably stuff that doubles actions like Chronotyryn's Double Action.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-30, 02:11 PM
Belt of Battle. MIC.

Arakune
2010-03-30, 02:13 PM
Doesn't belt of battle trade a swift for another action? He want's more swifts.

SilverStar
2010-03-30, 02:13 PM
Epic feat called Multispell, but RAW it only works for quickened spells. You can take it more than once.

lsfreak
2010-03-30, 02:26 PM
Doesn't belt of battle trade a swift for another action? He want's more swifts.

Right. Belt of Battle doesn't offer you more swift actions, just lets you take a single full-round action (which does not include another swift action).

Sandals of Temporal Acceleration (I think it's sandals, anywho) should though, since it actually gives extra rounds of actions. Since it's Time Stop-based though, I believe it has all the normal restrictions for interacting with other people.

While not more swift actions per se, Arcane Fusion and Greater Arcane Fusion for sorcerers has an 'extra swift actions'-like effect for the purposes of casting spells. Twin and Repeat metamagics, as well. For melee, ToB has Times Stands Still (9th, Diamond Mind) and Island in Time (10th level Eternal Blade PrC) which I believe both give extra rounds and therefore extra swift actions. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I don't know how applicable these are though.

Eldariel
2010-03-30, 02:37 PM
Sandals of Temporal Acceleration (I think it's sandals, anywho) should though, since it actually gives extra rounds of actions. Since it's Time Stop-based though, I believe it has all the normal restrictions for interacting with other people.

Boots and based off Temporal Acceleration-power. If going to metamagic and such, Linked Power [CPsi] too, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking.

Draz74
2010-03-30, 04:05 PM
Several high-level Tome of Battle tricks let you do specific things with an extra swift action, like change your stance (swift action) whenever you initiate a Counter (immediate action); or just initiate a Counter (immediate action) without using up your next swift action 1/round; or just give yourself two Boosts (swift action buffs) with one swift action.

IIRC, Island in Time (Eternal Blade capstone ability) also gives you a whole new round's worth of actions when you use it, including an additional Swift Action.

strider24seven
2010-03-30, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=lsfreak;8185390]Right. Belt of Battle doesn't offer you more swift actions, just lets you take a single full-round action (which does not include another swift action).
QUOTE]

Belt of Battle allows you to burn any combination of 3 "charges" per day as a free action. 1 for move, 2 for standard, 3 for full-round. Still doesn't get you a swift though.

Of all actions, Swifts are the hardest to get more of. A way of getting Time Stop or Temporal Acceleration (which is better anyway, IMO) is your best bet for extra swifts.

Eldariel
2010-03-30, 04:44 PM
Belt of Battle allows you to burn any combination of 3 "charges" per day as a free action. 1 for move, 2 for standard, 3 for full-round. Still doesn't get you a swift though.

Except if you read the item, it'll say "Activation: - and Swift (Mental)", where "-" = +2 Initiative. So for that, you don't need actions, but for extra actions, you do.

Glimbur
2010-03-30, 04:46 PM

Belt of Battle is definitely a swift action to activate, I just checked the MiC.

Extra swift actions are really tricky to get, it's generally easier to do more with fewer actions via Linked Power, contingencies, minions, and other tricks to stab the action economy.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-30, 09:42 PM
Ruby Knight Windicator

Fixed.

Apart from that, there isn't much. As has been said, the way to do it is generally to make it happen without an action.

The Rabbler
2010-03-31, 12:30 AM
For melee, ToB has Times Stands Still (9th, Diamond Mind) and Island in Time (10th level Eternal Blade PrC) which I believe both give extra rounds and therefore extra swift actions. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, I don't know how applicable these are though.[/QUOTE]

no. Time Stands Still uses a full round action to give you two full attacks. as for Eternal Blade, I believe it gives you an extra full round action rather than letting you take another turn, but I'm not sure (AFB).

sofawall
2010-03-31, 12:34 AM
Anything that gives a full-round action will not work. Anything that gives a full round of actions will.

Eldariel
2010-03-31, 05:04 AM
Time Stands Still uses a full round action to give you two full attacks. as for Eternal Blade, I believe it gives you an extra full round action rather than letting you take another turn, but I'm not sure (AFB).

It gives you a turn. That said, it costs you an immediate/swift action and as such, you end up at zero-sum there.

Askold
2010-03-31, 12:16 PM
Maybe the OP ment more than one swift action per turn, instead of round?

Most of the answers seem to give ways of getting more turns in one round. :D

lsfreak
2010-03-31, 02:29 PM
Maybe the OP ment more than one swift action per turn, instead of round?

Most of the answers seem to give ways of getting more turns in one round. :D

Well, the main way of getting more swift actions in a given period of 'real' time, is to give yourself more rounds. The only way to actually get more than one generic swift action (not limited to spells, etc), without extra rounds, is RKW.

balistafreak
2010-03-31, 06:25 PM
Some part of me wonders if that if you really needed another swift action, you could use up a move action or something.

I mean, you can already "downgrade" a standard action into a move action... seems like you could do the same with a move action into a swift action.

tyckspoon
2010-03-31, 06:44 PM
I mean, you can already "downgrade" a standard action into a move action... seems like you could do the same with a move action into a swift action.

Nope. Swift actions are built around the idea of having 1. One quickened spell, one martial Boost, one whatever. Lots of silly things start happening when you mess with that (Notably, a significant part of RKV's winningness comes from its unusual ability to transmute Turn Undead into swift actions. Aside from the part that comes from combining Cleric and Tome of Battle, anyway.) Rules-wise, as much as it may 'make sense', there is no general rule about trading down actions. There's just the specific statement that you may, if you wish, use a Standard action to perform a Move action (which is the actual wording, IIRC- it doesn't actually say you take an extra Move action, you just use your Standard to do a Move. There is probably a situation where this is a relevant distinction.)

*.*.*.*
2010-03-31, 06:47 PM
Factotum gets extra standard actions

Claudius Maximus
2010-03-31, 06:52 PM
Synads from Complete Psionic can expend 1 power point once per day to gain a mental swift action.